Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14934367 times)

powerflux, Vince, TJ924 and 237 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32150 on: May 28, 2019, 02:44:56 am »
grr. micro$uck.

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32151 on: May 28, 2019, 04:36:45 am »
Just six more months. Just six more months. Just six more months.

And I'll finally have enough money to buy a spectrum analyzer.

I feel the need.......to TEA.  It buuurns!!
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #32152 on: May 28, 2019, 04:38:42 am »
Can't wait to see the SPR-4.

Neither can I.  :D

I will post a pic here for the TEA group of course, and then post the rest of the work I do in this thread -

Drake SPR-4

It's going to be scary going outside of the TEA group but I'm not afraid.  :-[

added that thread to my notify list. looking forward to seeing what you do with it. the drakes from that era are pretty damn cool.
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #32153 on: May 28, 2019, 04:52:02 am »
I was wasting time on ebay. I reminded myself that I was done buying stuff until I finished fixing what I had and also cleared some of the RTTY gear out. But tt was like a stray puppy that I couldn't resist. So I made a low offer, figuring it would be rejected.

Of course the seller accepted it forty-five seconds later. So now I have two TDR 1503s to repair.

The case on this one is in bad shape (the front panel cover is shattered on one side) but it has the strip recorder option and the front panel looks to be pretty good. Seventy-five bucks shipped for a parts mule.
specialization is for insects.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #32154 on: May 28, 2019, 04:52:14 am »

If you're like me, you'll end up with more than one!! I have 3 operational spectrum analyzers (HP 8566A, 8568B, and 8569B) and 1 in need of repair (another 8568B).  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #32155 on: May 28, 2019, 08:31:10 am »

Patience rewards. I got my first >10GHz spectrum analyser for £250, and the second for £350. Both work (except the first's fan has recently stopped). The first was my jumping quickly on one offered on this forum. The second was an obscure auction (i.e. they don't ship) where much of the other stuff was house/building etc.

As well as the frequency limits, you might like to consider whether or not you need a preselector. Crude distinction: wideband surveillance (or a noise source) benefits from a preselector, close-in single signal doesn't.

A tracking generator gives you a scalar network analyser (e.g. filter response), a noise source crudely approximates that but you need a preselector.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:42:40 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32156 on: May 28, 2019, 08:37:40 am »
I was wasting time on ebay. I reminded myself that I was done buying stuff until I finished fixing what I had and also cleared some of the RTTY gear out. But tt was like a stray puppy that I couldn't resist. So I made a low offer, figuring it would be rejected.

Of course the seller accepted it forty-five seconds later. So now I have two TDR 1503s to repair.

The case on this one is in bad shape (the front panel cover is shattered on one side) but it has the strip recorder option and the front panel looks to be pretty good. Seventy-five bucks shipped for a parts mule.

Tee hee. I have a fetish for the 1502s, have got all of mine working, sold two, still to sell one, keeping one.

Good luck finding the thermal paper with sprocket holes for timing. ISTR someone saying that you could use some modern thermal paper, provided you used a 555 to synthesise the timing pulse.

Personally I prefer the XY output option, since I can stuff that up a digitising scope. I also prefer the 1502, since it can resolve small distances (140ps -> a couple of cm).

The 1502B's LCDs are a standard problem area, which is a shame since they are used for aerospace maintenance. That implies $ $ $, to the extent that an enterprising company makes direct replacements for the 1502B.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:44:06 am by tggzzz »
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #32157 on: May 28, 2019, 08:50:35 am »
Any vintage Scope tragics interested in this wee Cosser beast? eBay auction: #183823930373 Happy to on forward overseas as the seller can be a bit touchy about even posting simple stuff :palm:

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #32158 on: May 28, 2019, 09:29:43 am »
OT............
We all know some 'good bastard' and bugger me I got a prezzie in the mail today from this member we all know.

Nearly bowled me over as it was totally unexpected (mostly) and he added a nice personalized touch to some of his fine 3D prints.   8)

If the 3D printed feet to shod my HP1740 wasn't enough some bottle openers were added with Siglent and their logo was done either in the print or with his flash laser...........again totally cool !  8)
If that wasn't enough a 'Sea Breeze Coffee' opener and a 3D printed birthday card (belated) was in the package too.  :clap:

You know who you are and this totally made my day.........a special thanks to you Bean.
Wadda I owe ya ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32159 on: May 28, 2019, 09:53:34 am »
Your 'first' shout if we ever catch up in person or a free Spec Analyser would do  ;D

The openers are a good way to use up the last scrap on the filament rolls and make for a good give away for me when doing coffees. The big one is twist tops or for those with dodgy hands and works with just palm pressure. I didn't get a chance to smack the couple of spare extra rough feet included like I did the PLA one a while ago so out with the Hammer and see how the PETG stands up.  >:D

The bit of Card is the only Laser stuff as I had it out at the time. The Siglent logo is a bit fine for small 3DP but it sort of worked.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #32160 on: May 28, 2019, 10:17:49 am »
Your 'first' shout if we ever catch up in person ............
Certainly as now I have some small change to help finance the beers.....  :P   :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32161 on: May 28, 2019, 10:25:59 am »
Your 'first' shout if we ever catch up in person or a free Spec Analyser would do  ;D

You can use an RTLSDR as a 35-1500MHz spectrum analyser. Better to get one with decent metal shielding.

Limited? Yes? Better than nothing? Often.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32162 on: May 28, 2019, 10:38:30 am »

You can use an RTLSDR as a 35-1500MHz spectrum analyser. Better to get one with decent metal shielding.

Limited? Yes? Better than nothing? Often.

On my list of things to play with. The Discone should be arriving tomorrow so it will move back up in the playing department again.

Time for some housework and dusting first maybe ::)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32163 on: May 28, 2019, 10:43:49 am »
On my list of things to play with. The Discone should be arriving tomorrow so it will move back up in the playing department again.

Time for some housework and dusting first maybe ::)

That could be delayed by moving the RTLSDR to a laptop :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32164 on: May 28, 2019, 10:44:41 am »
yes. I'm actually doing housework now. Anything to delay that is good. Hence why I'm making this reply  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32165 on: May 28, 2019, 10:47:08 am »
Snap, I'm about to the dusting, hoovering and steaming up and downstairs if I can be bothered, which I'll have to otherwise SWMBO will blow her top when she gets in from work tonight  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #32166 on: May 28, 2019, 11:57:03 am »
I was wasting time on ebay ...

NO wch! Realize this: we, as TEA members NEVER waste time on Ebay.  >:(

We may waste time cleaning our houses, eating, or doing family related activities, but we NEVER EVER waste time on Ebay.  ;)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32167 on: May 28, 2019, 12:00:01 pm »
Hahahaha nailed it  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32168 on: May 28, 2019, 12:37:39 pm »
All my domestic responsibilities were done days ago (sweeping, "hoovering", dusting, laundry). Will be due again this weekend/early next week.

Parts for the Heath OL-1 are on the UPS truck out for delivery.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32169 on: May 28, 2019, 12:43:16 pm »
Don't forget to post lots of pictures of the OL-1 ;)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32170 on: May 28, 2019, 01:01:37 pm »

Not to worry!  :-DD

Apparently this CL seller is not budging on price. It's been out there for 2 months now. There was a 2445 for the same price listed in Brooklyn with broken knobs which sold in less than a week.

Yes, he sort of has a unique scope. And all the accessories are there. And I heard they are decent performers. But he's about $40 - $50 USD too high. And while it's tempting it's kinda too far to drive so the "Benefit factor" is low.

I'll bet he has received several offers but turned them down.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/d/fair-lawn-leader-lbo-315-portable-dual/6861632643.html

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:04:37 pm by med6753 »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #32171 on: May 28, 2019, 01:59:59 pm »
I was wasting time on ebay ...

NO wch! Realize this: we, as TEA members NEVER waste time on Ebay.  >:(

We may waste time cleaning our houses, eating, or doing family related activities, but we NEVER EVER waste time on Ebay.  ;)

Absolutely!  Time spent on eBay is an investment.   ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32172 on: May 28, 2019, 02:37:30 pm »

Not to worry!  :-DD

Apparently this CL seller is not budging on price. It's been out there for 2 months now. There was a 2445 for the same price listed in Brooklyn with broken knobs which sold in less than a week.

Yes, he sort of has a unique scope. And all the accessories are there. And I heard they are decent performers. But he's about $40 - $50 USD too high. And while it's tempting it's kinda too far to drive so the "Benefit factor" is low.

I'll bet he has received several offers but turned them down.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/d/fair-lawn-leader-lbo-315-portable-dual/6861632643.html

That is in nice condition and is nice and small so ideal as a portable scope and does seem to be overpriced but then it comes with manuals, hard case and carry bag so all in I don't think it is too bad but the benefit factor is low I would say compared to the scopes that you already have.  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #32173 on: May 28, 2019, 02:43:39 pm »
grr. micro$uck.

mnem
*toddling off to ded*

grr. maybe not micro$uck.

I've been having issues with my old faithful not resuming correctly from sleep. I thought it was due to something corrupted by that AHCI/IDE mishap with my old spinning rust drive, but the issue persists with my SSD build.
So it may be hardware, it may be some recent "update" fuggery eating my lunch.  |O

mnem
I hate my personal confuser today.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32174 on: May 28, 2019, 02:53:10 pm »
grr. micro$uck.

mnem
*toddling off to ded*

grr. maybe not micro$uck.

I've been having issues with my old faithful not resuming correctly from sleep. I thought it was due to something corrupted by that AHCI/IDE mishap with my old spinning rust drive, but the issue persists with my SSD build.
So it may be hardware, it may be some recent "update" fuggery eating my lunch.  |O

mnem
I hate my personal confuser today.

Yes, a WIN10 update did fuck with my power settings including sleep function but I honestly don't recall what I did to fix it. Google is your friend here. I'm pretty sure that's where I found the fix.

The following users thanked this post: klab

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf