Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406214 times)

zepto, salvagedcircuitry, med6753 and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32700 on: June 06, 2019, 03:51:51 pm »
Heath OL-1: All the bum resistors have been replaced. I had to work very carefully on that first generation circuit board. The foil pattern delams VERY easily. But it's finally done.

Going to install the tubes and CRT and power up. I should have some results soon.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #32701 on: June 06, 2019, 04:09:47 pm »
Correction....the schematic does list the transformer secondary AC voltage into the 6X4 full wave rectifier as 360V. So there should be a considerable drop in the DC voltage as soon as I get a load on it.
That sounds more like it  :phew:, I was having visions of a cap spilling its guts everywhere.
There's a number of factors at play that will affect the B+ voltage. First, the power transformer is currently completely unloaded except for driving the filament on the 6X4 (6.3VAC) and the 1V2 (.98VAC). Second, when this scope was designed most residential line voltages were 110VAC - 115VAC. My line voltage is about 125VAC. After all is assembled and loaded I'll check the B+ and see where it's at. There is the outside chance that I may have to install a dropping resistor on the output of the 6X4 to bring it down so as to not stress the components.

Looks like time to drag out the Scariac & confirm nominal operating voltages and current draw at 110VAC under load. Better to err on the side of caution, especially considering how far removed from OEM you already are. I can see those newer caps raising the DC floor as much as 10-20% compared to older, non-low-ESR caps the thing was made with.

Hence the reason we send Fosters your way.

Why do I hear Brumby going "Yoooooou're wellllll-commmmmmmme!!!"  >:D  in a sing-songy voice so chipper and chirpy it makes my teeth hurt?!?  :-DD

(SNIP)
"Bridge to another country" ???? Last time I checked you had to take a tunnel to get to France, not a bridge. Or do you consider Scotland and Wales "another country" ? I guess in strict terms they are.   
Scotland is another country, with significantly different laws and legal system. Start by considering that trials can have three verdicts: guilty, not guilty, and not proven.

Wales likes to think of itself as another country planet, but is really just a principality[1]. >:D To emphasise their difference, all texts are written twice, once in English and once in a language where consonants appear in strange places and have even stranger pronunciations. Usually, but not always, the two texts mean the same thing.

English pedestrians in Cardiff were told to "Look Right" but Welsh pedestrians were told to "Look Left". I'm not sure which nationality was more likely to become strawberry jam.
   This sign in Swansea told Welsh-speaking lorry drivers that "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated".   

But in this case the voltnut meetup will be in Caerdydd, which I am sure you will recognise is the capital city. I strongly suspect that is actually pronounced Cardiff, despite appearances to the contrary. That certainly isn't guaranteed, e.g. Newport/Casnewydd.

[1] yes, I expect that to provoke a, possibly justified, response in some people :)

Fixed that for ya!!! ;)

Looks like a (not necessarily unwarranted) attempt at retroactive birth control to me. >:D

Scotland is another country, with significantly different laws and legal system. Start by considering that trials can have three verdicts: guilty, not guilty, and not proven.
I definitely got that impression when I visited Scotland in 2001. They had just been given more autonomy to run their own affairs. And the Scottish flag was everywhere and the Union Jack was no where to be found.

Yeah; that three verdicts thing was due to their ingrained distrust of anyone considered to be "lawyerly"; a strange dichotomy considering their well-documented passion for a good argument. 

Maybe a case of "Know thyself, know thy enemy?"  :o

mnem
My great-gramma Edwards told me the truth about the Scots: The Irish gave them the bagpipes as a joke, but they never caught on.  :-DD
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:14:37 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32702 on: June 06, 2019, 04:26:44 pm »
Currently sitting in a layby waiting for RAC to return with a new fan belt and tensioner as car stopped due to electric steering failed because battery voltage is to low[emoji848]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32703 on: June 06, 2019, 05:06:42 pm »
Say hello to a 60+ year old Heath OL-1 Oscilloscope. She does work, but there is a problem. It definitely has the wrong CRT. These pictures were taken with all the lights off. As soon as you turn them on the trace just about disappears. I finally found a set a specs for that currently installed 3EP1 CRT and it confirms my diagnosis. This CRT requires HV of 1.5KV to 2.0KV and first anode voltages as high as 575V. The proper 3GP1 requires HV of 1.0KV to 1.5KV which is what this HV supply provides. And first anode voltages as low as 350V. Anyway, went out on Ebay and found one. Ordered it and should be here next week.

But at least it appears that everything else seems to work. Going to put it in the case and let it cook for a few hours.

If you look close you can see the retrace. This scope does not have a retrace blanking circuit. That was not unusual for scopes of this vintage.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bitseeker, kj7e, mnementh, Housedad, bd139, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32704 on: June 06, 2019, 05:28:17 pm »
That looks pretty damn excellent. Nice job as always  :-+

Currently sitting in a layby waiting for RAC to return with a new fan belt and tensioner as car stopped due to electric steering failed because battery voltage is to low[emoji848]

Bummer. Hope it doesn’t take too long.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32705 on: June 06, 2019, 05:37:39 pm »
Say hello to a 60+ year old Heath OL-1 Oscilloscope. She does work, but there is a problem. It definitely has the wrong CRT. These pictures were taken with all the lights off. As soon as you turn them on the trace just about disappears. I finally found a set a specs for that currently installed 3EP1 CRT and it confirms my diagnosis. This CRT requires HV of 1.5KV to 2.0KV and first anode voltages as high as 575V. The proper 3GP1 requires HV of 1.0KV to 1.5KV which is what this HV supply provides. And first anode voltages as low as 350V. Anyway, went out on Ebay and found one. Ordered it and should be here next week.

But at least it appears that everything else seems to work. Going to put it in the case and let it cook for a few hours.
      If you look close you can see the retrace. This scope does not have a retrace blanking circuit. That was not unusual for scopes of this vintage.

Well, you should be able to tune it up a little and take some clearer pics and flip this CRT on fleaBay; hopefully recover some of that expense. Unless it's one of those Czech tubes that seem to sell so cheap as to be not worth the cost of shipping.  :-//

But hey... a little less "Dragon Doofus Model 0" and more "OL-1" once you get it done.   ;)

mnem
 :-+
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32706 on: June 06, 2019, 06:05:03 pm »
Here's the complete schematic for the OL-1. Who ever installed the 3EP1 CRT also changed the plate resistors on the Vertical output tube (V2) from the 22K/2W to 100/2W in an attempt to provide the higher drive that CRT requires. But without providing a much higher HV of at least 500V more the mod is useless. The only way you could use this scope is in almost total darkness.  :palm:

I have the proper 22K/2W resistors on hand and will change them when I get the replacement CRT.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32707 on: June 06, 2019, 06:09:29 pm »
That doesn’t surprise me. It’s possible they got smoked and replaced with what was lying around. That D83 I had someone had swapped the equivalents in the final vertical amp for cheap ceramic wirewound ones (aka inductors)  :palm:

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32708 on: June 06, 2019, 06:19:57 pm »
That doesn’t surprise me. It’s possible they got smoked and replaced with what was lying around. That D83 I had someone had swapped the equivalents in the final vertical amp for cheap ceramic wirewound ones (aka inductors)  :palm:

I'll bet that affected the high frequency response of the vertical amplifier.  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32709 on: June 06, 2019, 06:39:01 pm »
I never got to find out but it certainly wasn’t healthy that scope. Why it got sacrificed for the tube in the end.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #32710 on: June 06, 2019, 06:51:43 pm »
After playing with a few HP 427a analog meters, I got the itch for more.  Picked up a clean 3400 that came in yesterday.  Wow, what a nice instrument, almost perfectly flat response 10Hz to 10MHz and only slightly low at 15MHz.  It works perfect and is dead nuts on, no cal needed;

By the way, I have an extra 427a (ended up with three) that's fully functional and calibrated with the internal AC supply option, complete with feet and even with the old style HP power cord that's in pretty good physical shape if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32711 on: June 06, 2019, 07:05:47 pm »
Nice one. That’s a nice little collection there. Still after a 427A here. No luck so far.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32712 on: June 06, 2019, 07:22:19 pm »

Back home, not fixed, RAC got the parts went fit them, o/s front wheel, wheel arch removed, to find half the engine has to be removed as well to fit the belt. Wheel on, battery swapped for charged one, followed me from Newmarket to Birchanger Services, while my battery was being charged on his van. Swapped batteries over and just made back before battery voltage reached critical cutoff point. Get local garage to fix it tomorrow. The good news is that the wheel arch is my boot, so that should save them some time. [emoji53]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32713 on: June 06, 2019, 07:27:49 pm »
Here's the complete schematic for the OL-1. Who ever installed the 3EP1 CRT also changed the plate resistors on the Vertical output tube (V2) from the 22K/2W to 100/2W in an attempt to provide the higher drive that CRT requires. But without providing a much higher HV of at least 500V more the mod is useless. The only way you could use this scope is in almost total darkness.  :palm:

I have the proper 22K/2W resistors on hand and will change them when I get the replacement CRT.

That's good news med, pray the new CRT is a good and doesn't get hermied on route

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32714 on: June 06, 2019, 08:05:01 pm »

Back home, not fixed, RAC got the parts went fit them, o/s front wheel, wheel arch removed, to find half the engine has to be removed as well to fit the belt. Wheel on, battery swapped for charged one, followed me from Newmarket to Birchanger Services, while my battery was being charged on his van. Swapped batteries over and just made back before battery voltage reached critical cutoff point. Get local garage to fix it tomorrow. The good news is that the wheel arch is my boot, so that should save them some time. [emoji53]

Gah that’s a bastard. At least you got home ok.

I actually accidentally set fire to the field that was where birchanger green services were built when I was a teenager  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32715 on: June 06, 2019, 08:12:33 pm »
Let me guess, you was just bastardising some, caps, giving them their freedom  :-DD :-DD

Edit.

Yeah, I got one of those plug in voltmeter jobbies with 2 USB ports on and I had that plugged in and it seems that once the voltage drops below about 10.6V all hell breaks out, steering, abs, asr, engine management just cuts out with a dashfull of warning lights.  MPG figure shoots right up though, I hit 70MPG on the way to Birchanger as the only thing taking power from the engine was the water pump. Hit any windy bit of road and you could watch the voltage drop off as the power steering took its wallop out of the battery. It was quite scary as it happened on the A14 at about 70mph overtaking some slow moving lorries  :palm: :scared:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 08:21:40 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline No.Mad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32716 on: June 06, 2019, 08:53:02 pm »
Forgive me Father for I have sinned
Darkness put her painted claws in me again...

Hi, I'm Nomad and I buy tools and electronics for almost 6 years. I'm quite new to pack, but I think I had a TEA syndrome since I was 14yo. Thanks to grandpa who did teach me how to use a hammer and screwdriver I got into quality tools and tinkering. Since I moved a lot and started to earn good money, my collection grew. Lindstrom, Wera, Erem, Mitutoyo, you know, the good ones.

Then I started to work in R&D and it got worse. But seriously, a lot worse, I think I overdid it this time  :scared: As picture is worth thousand words, please see attached.

Fortunately, my Miss does not find it wrong. She is supportive and loving. And I am looking for AFG right now on EBay, because I just bought two HP 3478A and I don't have AFG.

Regards lads!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 08:56:30 pm by No.Mad »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Brumby, med6753, kj7e, mnementh, Kosmic, 0culus

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32717 on: June 06, 2019, 08:55:41 pm »
Forgot about the Fluke...

HP made an 8050A as well. Not so common. HPAK denies all knowledge.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, grbk

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32718 on: June 06, 2019, 09:24:16 pm »

Hi, I'm Nomad and I buy tools and electronics for almost 6 years. I'm quite new to pack, but I think I had a TEA syndrome since I was 14yo. Thanks to grandpa who did teach me how to use a hammer and screwdriver I got into quality tools and tinkering. Since I moved a lot and started to earn good money, my collection grew. Lindstrom, Wera, Erem, Mitutoyo, you know, the good ones.

Then I started to work in R&D and it got worse. But seriously, a lot worse, I think I overdid it this time  :scared: As picture is worth thousand words, please see attached.

Fortunately, my Miss does not find it wrong. She is supportive and loving. And I am looking for AFG right now on EBay, because I just bought two HP 3478A and I don't have AFG.

Regards lads!

Welcome! We don't forgive here. We are fellow sinners. And proud of it. We love to see new faces and new stuff. So keep buying and come back often.  :-+ :-DD 

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #32719 on: June 06, 2019, 09:45:08 pm »

Fear not the darkness - wee can light your way to TEA Nirvana.  8)

Looks like you got a nice stack going there - and an Agilent 54622D - I got one here and use it al the time. Don't be a stranger.  :)

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline No.Mad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32720 on: June 06, 2019, 10:05:47 pm »
@med6753 - Just now I found a nice vacuum tube displayed multimeter for only £30 in working condition.

@xrunner - Yup, my first of two 54622D actually :D It had faulty 5 of 16 digital channels, non-responsive soft buttons near display and a lot of minor issues togheter with major dust problem (got it from Israel). It's in the middle of treatment which I am carefully documenting.

I solemnly promise to show off new additions  >:D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 09:36:53 am by No.Mad »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #32721 on: June 06, 2019, 10:42:44 pm »
@xrunner - Yup, my first of two 54622D actually :D It had faulty 5 of 16 digital channels, non-responsive soft buttons near display and a lot of minor issues togheter with major dust problem (got it from Israel). It's in the middle of treatment which I am carefully documenting.

Yep non-responsive buttons - been there done that with mine. You know what to do.  :-/O
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32722 on: June 07, 2019, 12:57:21 am »

Good job, nice to see it running  :-+

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32723 on: June 07, 2019, 01:04:59 am »

Regards lads!
Welcome! We don't forgive here. We are fellow sinners. And proud of it. We love to see new faces and new stuff. So keep buying and come back often.  :-+ :-DD

Welcome to the rabbit-hole! The never-ending taco truck is over there, and the leaning tower of JENGA is over there. Pull up a lawnchair and relax.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Online salvagedcircuitry

• Regular Contributor
  • Electrical Engineer | Hobbyist | Camera Enthusiast
    • salvagedcircuitry
« Reply #32724 on: June 07, 2019, 01:24:45 am »

Is that a dedicated ground bar you have at your desk? Do you ground each of your instruments to it first? What do you use it for? Is that tied directory to your house ground or to your water pipes? Just curious. I have the same isobars too :D Thanks.
SalvagedCircuitry
www.salvagedcircuitry.com

The following users thanked this post: Housedad

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf