Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14405600 times)

med6753, K0ELB and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32775 on: June 07, 2019, 08:48:42 pm »
Cor that was good. Worth it for parts even if it’s fecked!

Just decided to go mental and do a late night Ikea run. So more kits to build tomorrow  :-DD. No soldering iron required  >:(

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #32776 on: June 07, 2019, 09:13:32 pm »
  We need to NEVER play poker widdat boy. He resisted the urge to just BIN at $65 and actually stuck to that $39 offer.  :o Cast-iron basketballs, man.  :-+  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32777 on: June 07, 2019, 09:20:20 pm »
My lil score of the day :D

Good buy if you can get it going again. I must say that it looks, like so many other meters today, shit without its protective bumper. I remember when they started to be introduced and I didn't like them, but now, well I suppose they've come of age so to speak  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32778 on: June 07, 2019, 09:24:53 pm »
Indeed. Now you take the bumpers off and the meters look like a shaved cat.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32779 on: June 07, 2019, 10:11:07 pm »
Nah can't be arsed. It's 2h from here and I've got to go to Ikea again tomorrow :(

Plus I'm supposed to be clearing out not accumulating more stuff at the moment.

It is worth £150-200 on ebay though... hmm
Yep, I thought was the case, but I don't know yet what the final damage to my wallet is going to be yet for yesterdays escapade and to think that I was just yesterday thinking that I was doing well with the battery being 5 years old and it never fails to start at the first attempt without all the churning over that my neighbours cars seem to go through  :palm:

Hope its not too much. It isn't one of those horrid stop start ones is it? Those are pricey. Purposely avoided getting one of them.

As for your neighbours' cars, same here. Bloody awful noises. Most of those noises were me until I got rid of the Fiat though  :-DD

Figured by the time you fish out £16 for fuel, £10 for dinner, £30 in capacitors and 4 hours round trip, screw it!

If only that was generally available to the public at attractive rates of course   :-DD

EDIT:
OMG have we opened up yet another detour from the core topic  :palm: :palm:

It is pretty cheap. Costs me £8 a day. I use it perhaps 3 days a week as you can power it off and pay nothing while it's not running. Use it about 35 weeks a year. £840/year. That's for a 16 core Intel Xeon Platinum 8000 machine with 64Gb of RAM, 10Gb ethernet right into amazon's backbone and 3.5GBPS persistent storage (I use 512 gig volume).

Main thing is no up front cost! To buy the same workstation would cost me at least £8k up front plus the electricity bill.

WTF! I managed to completely miss this reply, hmmm must have been dozing, do that a lot these apparently  :palm: Yes it is a stop start car, but that shouldn't make any difference to my charging failure should it? As I see it it's a simple failure of the drive belt tensioner which allowed the drive belt to slip (never heard any squealing though like I hear from other cars) and this affected the alternator and the AC as well. Why did you avoid getting one of them, they can save a lot of fuel and also of course reduce your carbon footprint. If you don't like it, it should have an override switch in the car, mine does and it might affect your resale value when you come to part with it.

So what is this Amazon AWS thing then, is it not internet connected to your home computer via fibre or what? On my Virgin broadband I only pay for the upto 200mbs service but regularly getting 230+ from on download, just wish the upload was a tad faster at times. Thing is though as mnem said, after a while you get used to it and even the slightest delay becomes an annoyance  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32780 on: June 07, 2019, 10:19:00 pm »

Good buy if you can get it going again. I must say that it looks, like so many other meters today, shit without its protective bumper. I remember when they started to be introduced and I didn't like them, but now, well I suppose they've come of age so to speak  :-+

"Now"...? It looks exactly like my 0th gen 87 did, and that thing is 30 years old now. Somewhere... out in the wild without its daddy to take care of it and protect it...  :'(

mnem
Of course, I DID fail to keep it from being stolen out of my own home, so...  |O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32781 on: June 07, 2019, 10:23:33 pm »
WTF! I managed to completely miss this reply, hmmm must have been dozing, do that a lot these apparently  :palm: Yes it is a stop start car, but that shouldn't make any difference to my charging failure should it? As I see it it's a simple failure of the drive belt tensioner which allowed the drive belt to slip (never heard any squealing though like I hear from other cars) and this affected the alternator and the AC as well. Why did you avoid getting one of them, they can save a lot of fuel and also of course reduce your carbon footprint. If you don't like it, it should have an override switch in the car, mine does and it might affect your resale value when you come to part with it.

So what is this Amazon AWS thing then, is it not internet connected to your home computer via fibre or what? On my Virgin broadband I only pay for the upto 200mbs service but regularly getting 230+ from on download, just wish the upload was a tad faster at times. Thing is though as mnem said, after a while you get used to it and even the slightest delay becomes an annoyance  :-DD

Me too  :-DD

Stop-start cars have much larger and more expensive batteries and starters I noticed. On mine it runs on a gnat's fart - get 45 mpg if I rag it and blast the air con all the time, 58mpg if I am nice, 63mpg if I'm super nice and stay at 55-65mph all the time. The main reason I bought this was it's London ULEZ exempt so I can drive it in and out of the city without getting owned.  Plus it only had 20k miles on it.

Amazon AWS is basically Amazon hosting a virtual computer for you which is literally connected two hops from the internet backbone. My pipe between amazon and here doesn't need to be good then so I have 55 meg down and 20 up which is fine. I'll get that knocked up to fibre soon when I can be arsed. Basically I'm set up so that I have a VPN connection to an Amazon AWS VPC (virtual network) which I can fire up any time, place, location either at home, public WiFi, tethered to my iPhone and just do shit remotely over RDP for work or when I need something done fast. The laptop is basically a portable terminal that runs Kicad and LTspice for my own convenience.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #32782 on: June 07, 2019, 10:40:27 pm »
While I'm still working on the RCA scope and Heath scope I'm looking ahead as to my next project. And this is it. Heathkit S-3 Electronic Switch. For those not familiar with one of these it allows you to view 2 traces on a single trace scope. Your signals essentially ride on a square wave but you sync on the signals. I bought this one about 35 years ago at a garage sale. It did work and I used it a few times. But it hasn't been powered up in about 30 years and it's been a closet queen ever since. So it's going to need a clean up and complete rebuild/repair. 

Cool. I've seen a similar device, but not Healthkit's version. Added to POI.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32783 on: June 07, 2019, 10:49:54 pm »

Nice score. Curious what's wrong with it. Looks like new.

Offline salvagedcircuitry

• Regular Contributor
  • Electrical Engineer | Hobbyist | Camera Enthusiast
    • salvagedcircuitry
« Reply #32784 on: June 07, 2019, 11:14:11 pm »

Yeah. Externally it looks mint. otherwise, it turns on with a fresh 9v. The dc volts side is about 1v off from my F115, the ac side just bounces around and the continuity does not work at all. It reads ~21ohms without any probes installed. The screen backlight works and the meter switches modes properly. That's about all that works properly though. Took it apart and checked the fuses and the switch. Fuses check good. switch looks clean and turns properly. I briefly checked the board. it looks like at least one fuse may have been replaced as there's a little carbon deposit on the main protection resistor. nothing else looks suspect yet. I have not taken the shield and display off though.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 11:27:48 pm by salvagedcircuitry »
SalvagedCircuitry
www.salvagedcircuitry.com

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #32785 on: June 07, 2019, 11:30:55 pm »

Yeah. Externally it looks mint. otherwise, it turns on but that's all that works right. The dc volts side is about 1v off from my F115, the ac side just bounces around and the continuity does not work at all. It reads ~21ohms without any probes installed. The screen backlight works and the meter switches modes properly. That's about all that works properly though. Took it apart and checked the fuses and the switch. Fuses check good. switch looks clean and turns properly. I briefly checked the board. it looks like at least one fuse may have been replaced as there's a little carbon deposit on the main protection resistor. nothing else looks suspect yet. I have not taken the shield and display off though.
Be sure to check out joegsmith’s vids where tests DMMs to HV failure and then repairs them. They normally blow just SOT23 transistors
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline salvagedcircuitry

• Regular Contributor
  • Electrical Engineer | Hobbyist | Camera Enthusiast
    • salvagedcircuitry
« Reply #32786 on: June 08, 2019, 12:23:10 am »
Be sure to check out joegsmith’s vids where tests DMMs to HV failure and then repairs them. They normally blow just SOT23 transistors

Thanks! I subscribed to him a while ago but totally forgot about his videos! Thanks. Yeah, I remember this dude does crazy amounts of meter tests. Yes. Sweet.
SalvagedCircuitry
www.salvagedcircuitry.com

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32787 on: June 08, 2019, 12:25:19 am »
tzzzzzt...

mnem
 >:D

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #32788 on: June 08, 2019, 12:36:47 am »
tzzzzzt...

mnem
Never heard a Fluke do that !  :P
Normally in Joe’s hands they just die quietly.  :-DD

My cheap Chinese 15B has been great.  ;D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #32789 on: June 08, 2019, 12:38:35 am »
I love it when things match, so satisfying;

Some HP 3400a beauty shots;

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bitseeker, med6753, mnementh, salvagedcircuitry, bd139, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32790 on: June 08, 2019, 12:43:42 am »
tzzzzzt...

mnem
Never heard a Fluke do that !  :P   Normally in Joe’s hands they just die quietly.  :-DD   My cheap Chinese 15B has been great.  ;D

Oh, my 87 made that noise at least 5 or 6 times... one of which required a new socket assembly.  :scared: But it always survived. So far, not yet had a tzzzzt incident on my 189 tho.  :phew:

mnem
 :bullshit:

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #32791 on: June 08, 2019, 12:46:48 am »
I love it when things match, so satisfying

Really, really nice instruments there!  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32792 on: June 08, 2019, 12:49:26 am »
I love it when things match, so satisfying

Really, really nice instruments there!  :-+

Absolutely agree!  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32793 on: June 08, 2019, 12:52:17 am »
tzzzzzt...

mnem
Never heard a Fluke do that !  :P   Normally in Joe’s hands they just die quietly.  :-DD   My cheap Chinese 15B has been great.  ;D

Oh, my 87 made that noise at least 5 or 6 times... one of which required a new socket assembly.  :scared: But it always survived. So far, not yet had a tzzzzt incident on my 189 tho.  :phew:

mnem
 :bullshit:

Perhaps I'm careful or perhaps not daring enough but knock on wood (tapping myself on the side of my head) I have NEVER had a "tzzzzzt" from any of my meters.  :phew:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32794 on: June 08, 2019, 12:53:14 am »
am all set to go mountaintop roving in tomorrows vhf/uhf contest.  just need to fold the mast down, remove the two top antennas, and off we go.

will be making contacts on 6m, 2m, 220, 432, and 1296.  (unless something goes tits up......like it usually does)

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: med6753, kj7e

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #32795 on: June 08, 2019, 12:57:34 am »

Time to break out the 3D printer and finish the makeover with some feet  ;) Nice line up  :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #32796 on: June 08, 2019, 01:05:18 am »
Over the battle with microsnot non networking W7 - W10  |O :horse:

Did you guys tried this ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-ver-1803-network-file-sharing-is-not/790b15a2-b86d-4e92-9f11-0e86248a65aa

On my win10 machines those services were stopped. I share with no password and if credential is asked I use "guest" and empty password. I have multiple win10 here with win7 and nt4 sharing.

This is only on my lan and I don't really want to bother with password.

My experience with Microsoft help is that it's been no help. I always seem to muddle through it myself and eventually figure it out. WIN10 Release 1803 did away with homegroup BUT MS stated that it would retain your current settings. It did. All my shares continued to work. But MS lied. Release 1903 screwed with it and blew me up. As I stated the other day after hours of trying this and that I got everything back and I can share files back and forth between WIN10 and WIN7 without having to enter passwords nor logging in. As long as they are up I just click and go.

That's partly why I am looking at a NAS Micro$oft keeps moving the posts and W7 goues EOL in a few months which won't help. The Synology still looks the goods and their version of Raid looks simple to swap out a drive or increase the capacity later on. Also I can get my couple of Cloud/Photo backups under proper control.

Re the power thing if the below is correct not to bad either.

DS218j comes with front LED indicators with automatic brightness schedule control for reducing possible visual interference during night time. DS218j consumes only 17.48 watts during access and 7.03 watts during HDD hibernation, which is power-efficient and budget friendly to serve as a 24/7 personal storage server
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 01:09:14 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #32797 on: June 08, 2019, 01:20:47 am »
So what is this Amazon AWS thing then,

Amazon Web Services encompasses distributed computation on virtual machines and distributed storage, all done in a way that is as simple as possible but no simpler. The "but no simpler" acknowledges the unavoidable difficulties thereof, and gives you the options as to how to mitigate them.

AWS is the reason some people quip "Amazon is a distributed services company with an attached shop".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #32798 on: June 08, 2019, 01:23:23 am »

Time to break out the 3D printer and finish the makeover with some feet  ;) Nice line up  :)

The photo of the 4329A was a week old, it has the original feet now  ^-^.  I've since picked up a "For Parts" HP 4260a for cheap that uses the same feet, came with an old style power cord, usable knobs (replaced the fragile light gray ones on the 427a).  Too bad the 4260a freaking works  :'(

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32799 on: June 08, 2019, 02:07:26 am »

Excellent meter symmetry.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf