Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14782295 times)

Robert763 and 164 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33300 on: June 16, 2019, 03:36:26 pm »
Haven't tried D100. I'll have to get some. I looked up S5 and no hit. You sure you got that right?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33301 on: June 16, 2019, 03:38:06 pm »
Haven't tried D100. I'll have to get some. I looked up S5 and no hit. You sure you got that right?

https://caig.com/deoxit-shield-s-series/

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33302 on: June 16, 2019, 03:54:50 pm »

OK, found it on Amazon...thanks. Wow, that stuff is expensive. $34 USD for spray can.  :scared:

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33303 on: June 16, 2019, 06:09:23 pm »

OK, found it on Amazon...thanks. Wow, that stuff is expensive. $34 USD for spray can.  :scared:

Yep  :-\

For me it was cheaper to buy directly from a caig distributer. All the distributer are listed on their web site.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33304 on: June 16, 2019, 07:25:04 pm »
Uh-oh.  :scared: The Tek 7904 is giving me a warning. Power up today revealed "tick mode" for a few seconds then it powered up. Noticed that the CRT readout waving a bit like a flag in the breeze. Then it settled down. Looks like classic ripple. Quick check of power supplies revealed everyone healthy except +/- 15VDC. Reading +14.72V and -14.82V. Definitely on the low side. Time for a re-cap of the pre-regulator board. That will refresh the +5VDC and the +/-15VDC. 

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #33305 on: June 16, 2019, 08:23:08 pm »

The real problem with TEA is fitting the gear into the space available, spent the weekend, rebuilding a taller shelving unit, behind and incorporating the desk- on the north wall. Not finished yet - I want a split shelf - on the right side - so I have to get some nice aluminium angle. I am starting to rearrange the other shelves as well.A bit of a PITA - but I am not moving country!

That is some proper JENGA you've got going there! Well done!   :-+

Well good job I didn’t go to that ham fest as my youngest just kneed herself in the face doing ninja kicks and knocked a tooth out then proceeded to wipe blood over everything and the older two didn’t even notice  :palm:

Oh no! A primary or secondary tooth? :scared:
Primary (baby tooth here) fortunately although there was a bit of a panic working out if it was one or not. The oldest two were both glued to Netflix  :palm: As usually I was in the damn shower when this event occurred  :palm:

That sounds like an entirely predictable "But in my defense, I WAS left unsupervised..." moment from over here.   :-DD

We are notorious crack smokers when it comes to the roundabouts  :-DD

Not only no, but HEYULL NO!!!

We have a saying here that applies to stupid things people attempt to do - What did the redneck say right before he died?

"Hey - hold my beer and watch this!"

:popcorn:

Yeah, Texas is the home of THAT school of driving.  :palm: And Drive-Thru Liquor Stores.  ::)

Uh-oh.  :scared: The Tek 7904 is giving me a warning. Power up today revealed "tick mode" for a few seconds then it powered up. Noticed that the CRT readout waving a bit like a flag in the breeze. Then it settled down. Looks like classic ripple. Quick check of power supplies revealed everyone healthy except +/- 15VDC. Reading +14.72V and -14.82V. Definitely on the low side. Time for a re-cap of the pre-regulator board. That will refresh the +5VDC and the +/-15VDC.

I'll say a prayer for you; that the "tzzzzt" Fairy stays far, far away. :-DD

mnem
Hey!!! don't come HERE, ya manky little git!!!  :palm:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 08:31:18 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #33306 on: June 16, 2019, 09:08:21 pm »
The real problem with TEA is fitting the gear into the space available, spent the weekend, rebuilding a taller shelving unit, behind and incorporating the desk- on the north wall. Not finished yet - I want a split shelf - on the right side - so I have to get some nice aluminium angle. I am starting to rearrange the other shelves as well.
A bit of a PITA - but I am not moving country!

Volt-nut question: whats the purpose of the metal box on the 3458 terminals ? Equilibrate temperature and protect from thermal emf ?
Yes, it is actually a painted pcb box, soldered plain double sided pcb.
If you are doing sub microvolt readings - in my model you need to have it connected to a pc to get them - the results drift (more) for 10mins, I presume because of temp differences. The real problem is that the pc blows out the readings by all the EMI it introduces.
I leave the cover on to try and keep the terminals clean as well.
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33307 on: June 17, 2019, 01:41:30 am »

1999 called; they want their media back...

Found these in the bottom of a box of CDs and *gulp* cassette tapes...  :o

mnem
Yes, I AM older than dirt.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 01:43:58 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #33308 on: June 17, 2019, 02:08:38 am »

mnem

Well, at least you have a lot of free targets for the range.  :-DD

>:D

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #33309 on: June 17, 2019, 02:12:06 am »
At some point the decision was made to offer 1045 hours instead of only 1025 hours. Historians are still trying to research the cause for the change.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #33310 on: June 17, 2019, 02:20:01 am »
Today I amused myself by testing out more of the stuff I got in the box with that trombone line. Also finally grokked how to do complex impedance measurements using the 8405A VVM, using a 778D dual directional coupler, the trombone line, and the probe tees.  :-+ VNAs do all the hard work for you (other than buying itself and a cal kit :-DD), but I've learned a lot more learning to use the VVM. And it's really an elegantly designed instrument.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33311 on: June 17, 2019, 03:12:59 am »
"Kosmic the Enabler" pointed me towards this....

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/free-to-good-home-heathkit-ag-9a-audio-generator/

A deal has been struck. Will have it soon and of course complete pron.  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33312 on: June 17, 2019, 03:19:34 am »

mnem

I had some similar stuff up until last year that I finally tossed.

If you're old than dirt then what does that make me?  :o ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33313 on: June 17, 2019, 03:35:49 am »

1999 called; they want their media back...    Found these in the bottom of a box of CDs and *gulp* cassette tapes...  :o

mnem
Well, at least you have a lot of free targets for the range.  :-DD  >:D

Sadly, I have only one such artifact disc in my collection; the tins are all full of decades-old data archives. Fortunately, that one A0L virus disc is so badly scratched and scarred as to be unreadable, aside from the label on the top.  :-DD

I'm currently reviewing what data can be recovered from those archive discs before I chunk them; I'll probably keep a couple of the tins out of sentiment.  :o

I had some similar stuff up until last year that I finally tossed. If you're old than dirt then what does that make me?  :o ;D

medthuselah...?  :-DD

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 03:39:16 am by mnementh »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #33314 on: June 17, 2019, 07:46:08 am »

mnem

I had some similar stuff up until last year that I finally tossed.

If you're old than dirt then what does that make me?  :o ;D

I've kept - and recently used - some floppies from the mid 80s.

It is Apple's Smalltalk running on a fat Mac, which alerted me to the superiority of an OOP language and environment. God it is glacial; treacle doesn't begin to describe it. But, after all, it was fully intepreted with the object table; JITting was in the process of being invented, elsewhere.

Ob TEA: some test equipment from HP and Tektronix runs Smalltalk internally.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 08:29:29 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33315 on: June 17, 2019, 07:53:11 am »
Yeh back in the day it seemed that no what ever print publication you picked up, there would be at least 1 CD for a Internet provider offer some inducement to go with them, like free hours on line, dropping out of the pages  :palm: I mean how much profit must they have been making to be able to flood that huge amount of CD's at us?  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #33316 on: June 17, 2019, 07:56:01 am »
Yeh back in the day it seemed that no what ever print publication you picked up, there would be at least 1 CD for a Internet provider offer some inducement to go with them, like free hours on line, dropping out of the pages  :palm: I mean how much profit must they have been making to be able to flood that huge amount of CD's at us?  >:D
CD's in bulk are cheap. Very cheap.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33317 on: June 17, 2019, 01:43:40 pm »

Hehe glad you got it  ^-^

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33318 on: June 17, 2019, 02:13:42 pm »

Hehe glad you got it  ^-^

Other than a function generator, which can be used for audio, I currently don't have an audio generator. I had a Heath IG-5282 but I sold it many years ago. So this will be a nice addition and it's tubes to boot.  :-+ 

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33319 on: June 17, 2019, 03:24:15 pm »
I'm puzzled as I had some transistors delivered or the Hacker Herald radio that are supposed to be equivalents for an AC128, all have the same part number TT1322, some check out OK but others are identified as being PJFET's  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33320 on: June 17, 2019, 03:25:36 pm »
Odd. I'd claim them just in case.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33321 on: June 17, 2019, 03:31:46 pm »
God it is glacial; treacle doesn't begin to describe it. But, after all, it was fully intepreted with the object table; JITting was in the process of being invented, elsewhere.

Not elsewhere, but in fact invented for Smalltalk by L. Peter Deutsch as documented in the paper "Efficient Implementation of the Smalltak-80 System" DOI:10.1145/800017.800542.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33322 on: June 17, 2019, 03:36:13 pm »
CD's in bulk are cheap. Very cheap.

Yup. One of the first China-direct-manufacture products to flood our shores was those discs. Literally by the shipping-container-full.

I'm puzzled as I had some transistors delivered or the Hacker Herald radio that are supposed to be equivalents for an AC128, all have the same part number TT1322, some check out OK but others are identified as being PJFET's  :-//

This is not unusual with GE transistors and the cheap Chinese component checkers... they don't know what to do with the (relatively) leaky junctions and low forward voltage.

mnem

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33323 on: June 17, 2019, 03:36:20 pm »
Yeh, already contacted the seller in Bulgaria they were listed GT1322 =SFT322 Germanium Transistors NEW NOS AC128 2N2706 EFT322, 20pcs but all have marked as TT1322 but I can't locate any data-sheets on them.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33324 on: June 17, 2019, 03:53:25 pm »
Yeh, already contacted the seller in Bulgaria they were listed GT1322 =SFT322 Germanium Transistors NEW NOS AC128 2N2706 EFT322, 20pcs but all have marked as TT1322 but I can't locate any data-sheets on them.

Ummmm... okay... So what do they test at? AC128s will be a PNP GE transistor with .28-.32 forward voltage and approx 100-130 hfe. Anywhere near that IRL?

This little bastard is still pretty popular (again) for guitar fuzzboxes; there actually is enough demand to support new production.

mnem

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf