Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14713574 times)

djadeski, wkb, Gjeskog, Vince and 116 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33350 on: June 18, 2019, 12:18:57 am »
Looks like ed wins.

Now there's a statement I never expected to see!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #33351 on: June 18, 2019, 01:09:06 am »
*Hissssssses Python-like in tggzzz's general direction...*

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33352 on: June 18, 2019, 01:22:35 am »

Never looked at purl perl; never had a reason to use it. Always struck me as a boring hack.

My career was deciding what not to learn. Hence I ignored  Delphi, C++, C#, Perl, many microprocessors, etc because they were me-too variants of other things. In that vein, Perl was merely a bash shell on steroids :)

Perl is a write-only language.   >:D  I tried to learn it from Larry Wall's book and after wading through about 10 chapters I realized that not only was he re-defining words to mean something different than what was in the dictionary, he was also contradicting himself in subsequent coding examples - making it near-impossible to figure out how a language construct was actually intended to work.  I got my one and only Perl script to work largely by trial and error;  then I discovered Python and dumped my Perl books on some unsuspecting hacker.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33353 on: June 18, 2019, 02:06:17 am »
Odd. I'd claim them just in case.
Yeh, already contacted the seller in Bulgaria they were listed GT1322 =SFT322 Germanium Transistors NEW NOS AC128 2N2706 EFT322, 20pcs but all have marked as TT1322 but I can't locate any data-sheets on them.

Ummmm... okay... So what do they test at? AC128s will be a PNP GE transistor with .28-.32 forward voltage and approx 100-130 hfe. Anywhere near that IRL?

This little bastard is still pretty popular (again) for guitar fuzzboxes; there actually is enough demand to support new production.

mnem

I'm getting a wide swing on hfe between 6 to 177 but most are around 89 to 100 and a uF of 142uv

Okay... I've been following this thread in my usual halfwitted way... are you looking for Ge transistors for your project? If so, PM me with the part numbers you need. I have a collection of them acquired while I was hunting for MOSFETs, mostly ECG.

I remembered them when someone mentioned fuzz pedals. I have a stack of apparently much-desired Ge transistors in the original box and I've been trying to figure out whether I want to go to the trouble of listing them on that auction site.

PM sent.
Ge transistors is one of the few areas where my stock is not completely catalogued, but I could take a look if needed.

* In Soviet Russia, transistor tests YOU! *

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33354 on: June 18, 2019, 06:21:44 am »
Indeed. There are very few reputable sellers shifting semiconductors. Usually best to get them from house clearance lots and mixed components lots now and sort and test.

Amen to that. Buying pulls from ebay is likely to be an exercise in extreme disappointment.
That's what I thought, so I have been buying up NOS ones with long leads.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33355 on: June 18, 2019, 06:27:16 am »
I can find some ECG158's in the USA and at this price they will flipping well stay there as well, $216.39 shipping to the UK  :-DD
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILLIPS-ECG-158-ECG158-NEW-IN-BOX/392308434952?

If you want I'll buy and forward to you. Let me know.  :-+
Thanks med, I might take you up on that in the end, wch is looking through his stash of old transistors, plus og course I have discovered more replacements from a book I downloaded last night that makes Towers look like a magazine.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33356 on: June 18, 2019, 07:43:28 am »

mnem

I remember makefiles, where there is a semantic difference between tabs and spaces. You can't see the difference on the screen, but the program does execute very differently.

Python does something very similar: cut and paste a bit of code, and if you don't get the right number of spaces then your code's meaning has changed. It also defeats attempts at cleaning up formatting by using an IDE's autoformat functions.

But I suppose omitting braces/brackets/parentheses is better for one-handed typists.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33357 on: June 18, 2019, 08:07:45 am »
It's not like you can get it wrong in braced languages though even using both hands...

Code: [Select]
if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.update(&hashCtx, &signedParams)) != 0)
    goto fail;
    goto fail;

That can't actually happen in python. Because there's no goto and the indentation structure.

Edit: source: https://www.imperialviolet.org/2014/02/22/applebug.html

Also on Perl. I wrote something extremely large and relatively well known back in the day in Perl. It was a tremendous tool of the time. But alas it went straight to ASP.Net when that came out because that was actually fit for purpose. Perl was a big hack. It wasn't write only if you structured it properly which was the biggest concern. Now I mostly write Python and C# using .Net core, the latter of which is like bring a broadsword into a toothpick battle :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 08:16:54 am by bd139 »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #33358 on: June 18, 2019, 09:31:13 am »
On my list of Suspect TEA purchases this is 2nd, the First was buying six tubes of KY Jelly at once for a Dopler shift flow meter.

For filling the wells on my Ice Point Calibrator 'allegedly'  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33359 on: June 18, 2019, 10:33:12 am »
It's not like you can get it wrong in braced languages though even using both hands...

goto fail;
    goto fail;

Yes, but this
if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.update(&hashCtx, &signedParams)) != 0) {    squirdle();
    flobbat();
squinch();}
can be cleaned up and made acceptable in one keystroke - impossible in Python.

That can't actually happen in python. Because there's no goto and the indentation structure.

Yes but this probably didn't do what was intended:
    squirdle();
    flobbat();
squinch();
... but of course the intention simply cannot be inferred since either possibilities are equally valid syntatically.

Also on Perl. I wrote something extremely large and relatively well known back in the day in Perl. It was a tremendous tool of the time.

It is possible to insert screws with hammers and nails with foreheads.

But alas it went straight to ASP.Net when that came out because that was actually fit for purpose. Perl was a big hack. It wasn't write only if you structured it properly which was the biggest concern. Now I mostly write Python and C# using .Net core, the latter of which is like bring a broadsword into a toothpick battle :)

Benefit: you didn't have to maintain it.

I never bothered with that Java-ripoff.

I'm not clever enough to run Windows, and have been principally Unix/Linux based since Microsoft's first operating system (Xenix, not the program loaded called MSDOS!)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33360 on: June 18, 2019, 11:08:24 am »
I can find some ECG158's in the USA and at this price they will flipping well stay there as well, $216.39 shipping to the UK  :-DD
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILLIPS-ECG-158-ECG158-NEW-IN-BOX/392308434952?

If you want I'll buy and forward to you. Let me know.  :-+
Thanks med, I might take you up on that in the end, wch is looking through his stash of old transistors, plus og course I have discovered more replacements from a book I downloaded last night that makes Towers look like a magazine.

Here is that book I discovered last night in case it is of use to anyone else. https://archive.org/details/EcgSemiconductorsMasterReplacementGuide1989

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33361 on: June 18, 2019, 12:02:03 pm »
I never bothered with that Java-ripoff.

I'm not clever enough to run Windows, and have been principally Unix/Linux based since Microsoft's first operating system (Xenix, not the program loaded called MSDOS!)

C# came a long way since they ripped off Java. It's mostly heavily typed promise-based functional stuff we do now (least cpu cycle computing) which Java is incapable of due to the VM model. This is actually the equivalent of a unix pipe. The Enumerable is a generator, isMod2 is a predicate and the Where clause is a filter. All delayed execution. nothing is executed unless you iterate it.

Func<int, bool> isMod2 = x => x % 2 == 0;
var list = Enumerable.Range(1, 10);
var evenNumbers = list.Where(isMod2);

Doesn't look much like java. Edit: also most things end up looking like CSP

Also the IDE and tools are all cross platform and open source and work on your favourite platform. Even visual studio works there now (VScode anyway which is built on electron) and SQL Server.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:06:59 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33362 on: June 18, 2019, 03:42:31 pm »
On my list of Suspect TEA purchases this is 2nd, the First was buying six tubes of KY Jelly at once for a Dopler shift flow meter.

Is THAT what the young kids are calling it lately...?  :-DD

Here is that book I discovered last night in case it is of use to anyone else. https://archive.org/details/EcgSemiconductorsMasterReplacementGuide1989

Hmmmm.... seems vaguely familiar... anybody got that in dead-tree format...?  :-DD Of course, searchable .pdf has advantages as well. I suppose I should upload the Inductor/Relay/LED supplements I have to the archive as well... someday.

mnem

I remember makefiles, where there is a semantic difference between tabs and spaces. You can't see the difference on the screen, but the program does execute very differently. Python does something very similar: cut and paste a bit of code, and if you don't get the right number of spaces then your code's meaning has changed. It also defeats attempts at cleaning up formatting by using an IDE's autoformat functions.

But I suppose omitting braces/brackets/parentheses is better for one-handed typists.

But how could I resisssssst the opportunity to poke you a little, when you bring THAT argument into our idyllic little retreat? ;)

mnem
squirdle, flobbat, and squinch walked into a bar...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33363 on: June 18, 2019, 03:56:03 pm »
Dead tree format does have its advantages, but try and share that on line in its entirety  :-DD and of course as you rightly said, searchable PDF format is perfect to look for somethin when you're in a hurry which lets face it, is of course always  :-DD :-DD :-DD 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33364 on: June 18, 2019, 04:00:45 pm »

mnem

Is that Python 2.7 or 3.x?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33365 on: June 18, 2019, 04:21:37 pm »

Thisssss one.  :-DD

mnem
"There's a XKCD for that..."

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33366 on: June 18, 2019, 04:35:15 pm »
$ mkdir ~/src/project
$ cd ~/src/project
$ python3.7 -m venv .
$ source bin/activate
(project) $ python --version
Python 3.7.3
(project) $ cd ~/src/ancientproject
(project) $ source bin/activate
(oldproject) $ python --version
Python 3.4.7

:-//

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33367 on: June 18, 2019, 04:36:48 pm »
Dead tree format does have its advantages, but try and share that on line in its entirety  :-DD and of course as you rightly said, searchable PDF format is perfect to look for somethin when you're in a hurry which lets face it, is of course always  :-DD :-DD :-DD

True enough... hats off to Tota Tommy or whom-the-hell-ever it was that scanned that weighty tome to .pdf for the good of humanity; it only took them 28 years to "git 'er done", which sounds like JUST the right amount of procrastination for such an undertaking.  :-DD

mnem
"We Londoners have a saying...'Never do today what you can put off til tomorrow.' It has served us very well over the years."

"Aye... we 'ave a similurr sayin' in th' East end; only it lacks thett sense uvv urgency."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33368 on: June 18, 2019, 04:40:41 pm »
$ mkdir ~/src/project
$ cd ~/src/project
$ python3.7 -m venv .
$ source bin/activate
$ import antigravity
Python 3.7.3
Python 3.4.7

There... MUCH better.    :-DD

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33369 on: June 18, 2019, 05:08:56 pm »
Quote from: specmaster
I doubt that it was scanned, I think that original electronic file was printed into . PDF file and circulated, the print quality is just so good and is searchable which normally scanned files aren't I believe?

No, ECG NEVER released their cross-references as an e-document; the dead-tree cross-references were a major cash cow.

Adobe PDF has done OCR metadata incorporated into scanned documents in searchable format since the 90s; it's the main reason the format persists decades after everybody swore it was dead. From there it was converted into the other formats, I'm sure.

mnem
Another "cockroach technology"...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 05:16:42 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33370 on: June 18, 2019, 05:14:50 pm »
Yes you're correct, I took another look at the pages and they have been scanned but at a very high DPI, my original posting saying that I doubted it had been scanned I had just deleted from the forum  |O so now everyone knows I was wrong  :-DD, hmm nothing new here, nothing to see, move along now  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33371 on: June 18, 2019, 05:15:47 pm »
$ mkdir ~/src/project
$ cd ~/src/project
$ python3.7 -m venv .
$ source bin/activate
$ import antigravity
Python 3.7.3
Python 3.4.7

There... MUCH better.    :-DD

mnem

That's better  :-DD

Indeed. There are very few reputable sellers shifting semiconductors. Usually best to get them from house clearance lots and mixed components lots now and sort and test.

Just spent the last 2 hours designing an SLA battery charger to replace a transformer/diode/capacitor and single resistor in my alarm which packed in yesterday. What a cheap arse hack. Very annoyed.

Replying to myself here. A veritable fuck you overkill charger for my alarm...

This one has CV/CC bulk and trickle charge, crowbar, reverse connection protection, some heatsinking, snubber caps on the bridge rectifier and can be scaled up somewhat for radio operation etc and fits in the cabinet I have already (hence the somewhat larger than necessary size).

Issue one so I expect fire and I put ZERO effort into the silkscreen. £9 for 5 boards from JLCPCB including delivery = win  :-+

Edit: To note I found out when I disconnected it by chance that the existing charger was causing my noise problems on 80m. Assume it was the diodes and the long cable runs! This one should be a little less unfriendly.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 05:19:47 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33372 on: June 18, 2019, 05:21:50 pm »

Actually KY jelly makes a great lubricator when it comes to trying to squeeze things into tight spots, eg, sliding long lengths of sleeving over anything, I've used other similar items originally designed for more personal usages, for that before today   :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33373 on: June 18, 2019, 05:28:34 pm »

Replying to myself here. A veritable fuck you overkill charger for my alarm...

This one has CV/CC bulk and trickle charge, crowbar, reverse connection protection, some heatsinking, snubber caps on the bridge rectifier and can be scaled up somewhat for radio operation etc and fits in the cabinet I have already (hence the somewhat larger than necessary size).

Issue one so I expect fire and I put ZERO effort into the silkscreen. £9 for 5 boards from JLCPCB including delivery = win  :-+

Edit: To note I found out when I disconnected it by chance that the existing charger was causing my noise problems on 80m. Assume it was the diodes and the long cable runs! This one should be a little less unfriendly.
Kicad?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33374 on: June 18, 2019, 05:29:14 pm »
Jeebus... that's a lot of effort to replace a device you can literally solder-snake inside a bit of heat-shrink tubing on a 99¢ XFMR. :-DD   Hats off to you for the courage of your convictions and following through on it, though.  :-+

mnem

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf