Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14830622 times)

mianos and 153 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33425 on: June 19, 2019, 02:34:45 pm »
....and now for something completely different...

Can anyone recommend a good source for NON-sleeved banana test leads that I can use with the 427A and my 3455A? Both are 1 kV max dc.

DIY?

Plenty of options for buying 4mm gold bullets from the R/C market plus the usual electronic suspects. One of my 10AWG sets for high current use (40-60A if needed) next to an evilbay one (10A max before they melt).

Fat tip soldering iron and a little Lead/Silver solder for preference.

Those look very familiar... I’m so proud!  :-+

(SNIP)
Nonetheless, all techniques and technologies can be and are misused. Good taste is important, and rare. Some people should never be let near a keyboard.

Hey... I resemble that remark!!!  >:D

mnem
*currently herding kittens in a dentist’s office*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33426 on: June 19, 2019, 05:54:57 pm »
(SNIP)
That's why validation and verification are two separate disciplines. Figuring out what to do ought to be more difficult than doing it.

There are many pitfalls to creating and maintaining something that is correct. Pitfalls should not be introduced unnecessarily.

Regrettably some tools introduce problems that other tools avoid. Such tools should be deprecated.

The problem here is that which has befuddled tool-users since the dawn of tool-use: We make our tools so they help the person who created them; this requires customizing the user interface for that person, INCLUDING how they think about the problem the tool is meant to solve. Language is just one such tool, and there's a reason we have so many languages.

All languages have their own syntax & grammar; it is the sheer literal stupidity of machines that makes syntax & grammar so paramount in the languages one uses to instruct them. That is why we call it "a command interpreter"; the machine thinks differently than we do so our commands literally must be interpreted FOR IT. While we think in parallel and are able to intuit, the machine thinks serially; it cannot infer. That is the core fault, BTW, with all of the security issues surrounding "predictive execution". It is ALSO why "human multitasking" is an absolute fucking lie.

For some people, syntax & grammar are literally second nature, so resolving such issues are entirely subtext to the problem at hand. They THINK in a certain syntax, so using that syntax is just a framework for solving the problem. For others the problems themselves are what is core, and the language used is just another abstraction for them to resolve. Other people fall between those two polar extremes; or in many cases, outside of their scope entirely.

Knowing this, create ONE PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE that works equally well for all who might use it.  :o What methodology is "obvious & unassailably correct" for one person is "ridiculously restrictive & convoluted" to another.

mnem
Food for thought. Thought from food.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 06:24:30 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33427 on: June 19, 2019, 06:21:38 pm »
Some good points there for sure  :-+

The most important thing is not necessarily getting from A-B but making sure we get to B without getting sued or killing anyone.

On TEA matters....

As much as I want it, I don't need it. HP 6291A 0-40V 0-5A. Reasonable price, reasonable condition: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323837750460

Also someone got a good deal: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143298546075
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 06:23:45 pm by bd139 »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #33428 on: June 19, 2019, 06:54:08 pm »
For some people, syntax & grammar are literally second nature, so resolving such issues are entirely subtext to the problem at hand. They THINK in a certain syntax, so using that syntax is just a framework for solving the problem. For others the problems themselves are what is core, and the language used is just another abstraction for them to resolve. Other people fall between those two polar extremes; or in many cases, outside of their scope entirely.

Syntax is rarely an insumountable problem; it is a mere convenience/inconvenience. Hence
  • I dislike "syntatic sugar" features in a language
  • C# and Java are the same, Delphi and Pascal and C are the same - except for minor variations
and there the spaces/tabs vs braces is a mere (unnecessary) inconvenience.

Semantics, OTOH, is much more difficult for some people to get into their head. Hence
  • you can write Fortran in any language
  • don't use C when implementing backward-chaining rulesets, don't use Prolog when implementing FSMs, don't use FSM languages when implementing RDBMS relationships, etc
and yes, I have seen some mind-bogglingly bad choices of implementation language.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33429 on: June 19, 2019, 07:00:00 pm »
(SNIP)
Nonetheless, all techniques and technologies can be and are misused. Good taste is important, and rare. Some people should never be let near a keyboard.

Hey... I resemble that remark!!!  >:D

I wasn't thinking of you in that respect. But in true post-modern-lit-crit style, now you've made me think...

Worth speed-reading, from http://www.fudco.com/chip/deconstr.html :
How To Deconstruct Almost Anything
My Postmodern Adventure

by Chip Morningstar
June 1993

"Academics get paid for being clever, not for being right."
-- Donald Norman

This is the story of one computer professional's explorations in the world of postmodern literary criticism. I'm a working software engineer, not a student nor an academic nor a person with any real background in the humanities. Consequently, I've approached the whole subject with a somewhat different frame of mind than perhaps people in the field are accustomed to. Being a vulgar engineer I'm allowed to break a lot of the rules that people in the humanities usually have to play by, since nobody expects an engineer to be literate. Ha. Anyway, here is my tale.....
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33430 on: June 19, 2019, 07:59:11 pm »
I'm sitting here watching this discussion whiz by WAY over my head.  :o You guys have a habit of making me feel dumb sometimes.  :palm: :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33431 on: June 19, 2019, 08:18:50 pm »
You are on the lucky side of the fence. The entire field is a throbbing soul consuming mental disorder on wheels. You’re not dumb; we are. You’re the clever one not prostituting your mind out!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33432 on: June 19, 2019, 08:29:59 pm »

The most important thing is not necessarily getting from A-B but making sure we get to B without getting sued or killing anyone.

On TEA matters....

As much as I want it, I don't need it. HP 6291A 0-40V 0-5A. Reasonable price, reasonable condition: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323837750460

That 475 sure looked to me like it had no sweep as the trace dots remain in the same position on every photo or is there some mode on a 475 where that is possible?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33433 on: June 19, 2019, 08:30:43 pm »
Semantics, OTOH, is much more difficult for some people to get into their head. Hence
  • don't use C when implementing backward-chaining rulesets, don't use Prolog when implementing FSMs, don't use FSM languages when implementing RDBMS relationships, etc
and yes, I have seen some mind-bogglingly bad choices of implementation language.

And here's the nub: most people are trained in how to write in one language; very few have the experience and breadth of knowledge to be able to choose a language according to best fit for purpose.  I firmly believe that AT&T encouraged everyone to write in Java because no one either in tech management or project leadership knew about anything else - not because they thought it was the best language for the job(s).  That, and they only needed to support one language no matter whether it was for a DBMS or a systems utility.   |O

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #33434 on: June 19, 2019, 08:30:56 pm »
I'm sitting here watching this discussion whiz by WAY over my head.  :o You guys have a habit of making me feel dumb sometimes.  :palm: :-DD
+1
You're not alone med.  :-[
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33435 on: June 19, 2019, 08:33:26 pm »

Dont beat yourself up; some things are best unknown :)

I long ago realised I'm third rate...

I knew and highly respected another engineer; when he disagreed with me I listened carefully since I knew I was going to learn something.

That engineer was in awe of other engineers, e.g. one who was expert in all aspects of radars, from antenna physics, propagation, processing, displays, and human factors. Therefore I'm third rate.

The way I save my self respect is that that engineer had two forebears that had won Nobel prizes for physics.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33436 on: June 19, 2019, 08:33:54 pm »

On TEA matters....

That 475 sure looked to me like it had no sweep as the trace dots remain in the same position on every photo or is there some mode on a 475 where that is possible?

Auto button was out. If that was in it would have swept :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33437 on: June 19, 2019, 08:42:27 pm »
Your not alone on this, when they start about programming and languages I almost switch off and go into spectator mode. The only programming I've ever done in my life was a little bit of machine code via an assembler on a Spectrum computer many years and since have forgotten about it. I did however manage to program the programmable controllers to take control of the City of Westminster Crematorium cremators but that was using a language called Grafcet and they worked really well for a number of years before they were replaced by a fully automated system. I'll resist the temptation here to make poor taste joke.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33438 on: June 19, 2019, 08:44:32 pm »

And here's the nub: most people are trained in how to write in one language; very few have the experience and breadth of knowledge to be able to choose a language according to best fit for purpose.  I firmly believe that AT&T encouraged everyone to write in Java because no one either in tech management or project leadership knew about anything else - not because they thought it was the best language for the job(s).  That, and they only needed to support one language no matter whether it was for a DBMS or a systems utility.   |O

That was because it was likely a pretty good hammer at the time for most of the problem domains they had and it allowed people to improve by building an ecosystem in the company. There a big difference between a bad java programmer and a good one. The same cannot be said for C or C++ where even the most competent programmers occasionally shoot their toes off.

One project failure mode is failing to pick the right tool for the job. The right tool isn’t necessarily the one that does the job best but the one that allows you to solve the problem safely and in the budget and time allowed. That tool is usually the one that you already know because no one has time to learn erlang or Haskell to solve a problem when a C# program will do the job and has less unknown unknowns.

Ergo monocultural development companies tend to do better. I’ve worked with the opposite including one of the larger consultancies here and they could not deliver solutions to problems which is what we’re paid to do after all.

Java was the right solution at the time. It may not be now. That’s another problem!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33439 on: June 19, 2019, 08:49:06 pm »

On TEA matters....

Auto button was out. If that was in it would have swept :)
That shows your in depth knowledge of Tek scopes right there.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33440 on: June 19, 2019, 09:13:53 pm »
One project failure mode is failing to pick the right tool for the job. The right tool isn’t necessarily the one that does the job best but the one that allows you to solve the problem safely and in the budget and time allowed. That tool is usually the one that you already know because no one has time to learn erlang or Haskell to solve a problem when a C# program will do the job and has less unknown unknowns.

Ergo monocultural development companies tend to do better. I’ve worked with the opposite including one of the larger consultancies here and they could not deliver solutions to problems which is what we’re paid to do after all.

There's a lot of truth in that, but the second paragraph hides as many problems as it reveals.

Monocultural companies do well when they are repeatedly solving the same or similar problems. Their employees tend to have 10 years of experience that is really 1 year repeated 10 times. I've never wanted to work for such boring companies.

Where a company encounters problems it has not solved previously, especially multidisciplinary problems, a monocultural approach is disastrous. They require engineers to have a variety of tools in their toolbox, and to pull out the right one for the job at hand.

Such companies are fun to work for; I spent most of my career in some.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33441 on: June 19, 2019, 09:14:58 pm »

Can anyone recommend a good source for NON-sleeved banana test leads that I can use with the 427A and my 3455A? Both are 1 kV max dc.

As usual for such parts, I recommend Stäubli (MC).

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33442 on: June 19, 2019, 10:44:17 pm »

As usual for such parts, I recommend Stäubli (MC).

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33443 on: June 19, 2019, 10:46:22 pm »

Syntax is rarely an insumountable problem; it is a mere convenience/inconvenience. Hence
  • I dislike "syntatic sugar" features in a language
  • C# and Java are the same, Delphi and Pascal and C are the same - except for minor variations
and there the spaces/tabs vs braces is a mere (unnecessary) inconvenience.

You guys arguing over "proper indentation" vs stacking parens are arguing as much about grammar as syntax. ;)

Syntax sets the context of what you are trying to communicate. As with anything important, context is everything; syntax is the agreed-upon construct that makes words into language and therefore a usable tool.
Otherwise, you just have a collection of words that don't necessarily mean what you want them to; just ask any non-Mexican-Spanish-speaking American who's tried to get around Mexico using only a Spanish-English dictionary.  ;)

Better yet, ask the people whom they've tried to speak with.  :-DD

Your arguments fall more into the latter "it's all abstraction" camp; sure, if you sufficiently grok the underlying machine instruction set you can use any language you choose (and the similarities between popular languages become very visible; in fact, annoyingly so), or write your own interpreter and program in THAT. It's not like THAT hasn't been done before a time or three.  >:D

This is great until you want to actually get something done working with other people. THEN the agreed-upon construct becomes VERY important; you can either take the time to become conversant in one of the popular programming constructs, or be ready to teach everybody you work with how to program in YOURS.

Cheers,

mnem
Time to feed the children; I'm just not sure whom to feed them to...

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #33444 on: June 19, 2019, 10:52:39 pm »
When I first heard of Python and learned that it used indentation to determine the structure of the code, I was appalled that someone would create a language like that.  But over time I've started to change my mind.  For one, it forces people to actually indent code properly.

That's a non-problem with most languages: use an IDE to force indent the code in a standard way with a single keystroke.

That's impossible with Python.

Not impossible. I use pycharm community because it has features like that. And it has a good debugger.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33445 on: June 19, 2019, 10:58:31 pm »

Dont beat yourself up; some things are best unknown :)

I long ago realised I'm third rate...

I knew and highly respected another engineer; when he disagreed with me I listened carefully since I knew I was going to learn something.

That engineer was in awe of other engineers, e.g. one who was expert in all aspects of radars, from antenna physics, propagation, processing, displays, and human factors. Therefore I'm third rate.

The way I save my self respect is that that engineer had two forebears that had won Nobel prizes for physics.

I don't beat myself. In fact, I thank the software engineers for keeping me employed. Every time they released new microcode on the IBM Z Series they royally fucked up something which threw schedules in the shitter and forced overtime to recover. So while mildly annoying I profited.  :-+ :-DD   

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #33446 on: June 19, 2019, 10:59:45 pm »

With copious amounts of volume...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, 0culus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33447 on: June 19, 2019, 11:09:19 pm »

With copious amounts of volume...

Absolutely!  :-+

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, Specmaster, mrz80

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #33448 on: June 19, 2019, 11:10:14 pm »
Momentary Lapse of Reason in the background as we speak !  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: med6753, kj7e

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #33449 on: June 19, 2019, 11:13:00 pm »
Momentary Lapse of Reason in the background as we speak !  :)

I have those all the time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf