Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14901731 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33650 on: June 24, 2019, 05:28:43 am »
"Decimated" means "reduced by a factor of 10"; as in only 1/10th of the original number remain. That is what remains.   :P
mnem
*splatted*
See https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/decimate or many others
*Consults the one true dictionary* Damn, you're right. I stand subjected; a victim of my own hubris.  |O Oh fucking well.  :-//
Arguably "reduce by 90%" is now the "correct" usage, since most people think decimate means that.  What is the world coming to?... lack of classical education... all nouns can be verbed... 1+2*3=9... Victor Meldrew was an optimist.

Hey now... I am classically educated, and I’m the one people are usually bitching at for being excessively polysyllabic. And I happily & shamelessly pontificate for its own sake.   :-DD

Even scholars can be wrong; and while I’m the first to acknowledge the fact of English being a “living language” and therefore constantly in a state of flux, that was a simple case of misremembering. I’m old. The old grey matter has been stewing in its own juices in the Tejas sun for 2 decades now; I’d be surprised if a few cells WEREN’T addled.  :-DD |O :P

mnem
WhuuhWeTalkinAboutt?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #33651 on: June 24, 2019, 05:29:20 am »
Hobbes was a prophet.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #33652 on: June 24, 2019, 05:42:59 am »
Arguably "reduce by 90%" is now the "correct" usage, since most people think decimate means that.
Given the high percentage that was eliminated, mnem did decimate his collection, despite the definition. :D
I considered covering my shame under both of these points; the former just felt like a cheap cop out, and while technically it is true that “decimated” is factorially included in the merciless attrition I did commit, that conceit felt downright pedantic.  :palm:

mnem
I was wrong about something. If that’s the worst that happens to me today, it’s been a damn good day.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33653 on: June 24, 2019, 06:15:52 am »
"Decimated" means "reduced by a factor of 10"; as in only 1/10th of the original number remain. That is what remains.   [emoji14]
mnem
*splatted*

*Consults the one true dictionary* Damn, you're right. I stand subjected; a victim of my own hubris.  |O Oh fucking well.  :-//

Arguably "reduce by 90%" is now the "correct" usage, since most people think decimate means that.

What is the world coming to?... lack of classical education... all nouns can be verbed... 1+2*3=9... Victor Meldrew was an optimist.
[emoji28] In a Victor Meldrew voice, "I don't believe it"

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33654 on: June 24, 2019, 06:43:21 am »
OMG got “hamfest hangover”. Neither of my arms work properly this morning after lugging that scope and power supply around yesterday.  >:(

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33655 on: June 24, 2019, 06:45:17 am »
I was wrong about something. If that’s the worst that happens to me today, it’s been a damn good day.

I second that commotion.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33656 on: June 24, 2019, 06:46:56 am »
OMG got “hamfest hangover”. Neither of my arms work properly this morning after lugging that scope and power supply around yesterday.  >:(

No need to waste money on weight-lifting equipment. You just need to work out with your TEA more often. ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33657 on: June 24, 2019, 06:49:04 am »
Yeah definitely. Absolutely kills.

In fact feels the same as the first month of owning my old series 3 Land Rover (brick + no power steering = ouch)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #33658 on: June 24, 2019, 07:10:52 am »
"Decimated" means "reduced by a factor of 10"; as in only 1/10th of the original number remain. That is what remains.   :P
mnem
*splatted*

Given the high percentage that was eliminated, mnem did decimate his collection, despite the definition. :D

Only in the sense he triplicated the collection, despite the definition :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33659 on: June 24, 2019, 07:15:51 am »
I considered covering my shame under both of these points; the former just felt like a cheap cop out, and while technically it is true that “decimated” is factorially included in the merciless attrition I did commit, that conceit felt downright pedantic.  :palm:

Some people, traditionally greens, think it is pedantic to point out that energy != power (i.e. battery/wind kWh vs kW). I don't.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33660 on: June 24, 2019, 07:19:09 am »
In fact feels the same as the first month of owning my old series 3 Land Rover (brick + no power steering = ouch)

Either I am forgeful about my 1959 Series 2, or you are getting old (logical or, that is).

I'm considering bidding on something where I suspect I might have to dismantle it before moving it. I am beginning to doubt my sanity, which is,I suppose, a good sign.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33661 on: June 24, 2019, 07:41:34 am »
Every time I’ve doubted my sanity I have been wrong thus I have decided to make insanity a policy.

Hence £5 scope :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33662 on: June 24, 2019, 08:19:46 am »
Whoop whoop, would you flipping believe it I think I might have solved my airbag warning light problem. I was searching around the web like you do and I came across this tool https://uk.dhgate.com/product/vgate-vag-can-vc210-obd2-car-diagnostic-scanner/453570384.html#s1-1-1;uk|747458592
Which it claims to do the engine, airbag,ABS, and automatic transmission codes and erase them and all for just £87.01?? Then I had a brainwave and checked on Amazon, it did not appear on the UK site but it did on the USA one and it says it was only £12.20 so in it went to the basket, to test what the shipping is going to be from USA to the UK.

Of I go expecting the very worst, it is still only £12.20, delivered to the door here in the UK, it was a no brainer, even if it doesn't do the airbag code on my car, I can sell it on ebay and get my money back, so I pulled the trigger on the last one in stock and I got a delivery date of the 8th July to the 23rd so hopefully I'll be a jammy git and find that it does the job.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33663 on: June 24, 2019, 08:26:46 am »
That's a win. Fingers crossed. Hopefully it won't get jammed in customs for a week like my current shit. USPS handed it over, RM haven't received it  >:(

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33664 on: June 24, 2019, 08:36:02 am »
Haha hope not, may have to send you in to sort the buggers out if they do, bloody good win for you yesterday then after all, even if your knuckles are dragging along the ground today  :-DD What time did you get there and what time did you set off? I might consider going to the next one as well, especially if tggzzz is isn't, only saying because he may be the barometer of whether its worth going or not  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33665 on: June 24, 2019, 08:41:31 am »
Was definitely worth it. Left at 08:00 (via cash machine and costa) and got there at 09:30 and cruised straight in even though it was open at 10:00. People were still arriving to sell at 10:30 as the junction was shut on the M4 which confused everyone without satnav. Buyers were arriving at 11:00 still when I left. I hung around until sellers stopped ariving :D

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33666 on: June 24, 2019, 08:44:01 am »
Haha hope not, may have to send you in to sort the buggers out if they do, bloody good win for you yesterday then after all, even if your knuckles are dragging along the ground today  :-DD What time did you get there and what time did you set off? I might consider going to the next one as well, especially if tggzzz is isn't, only saying because he may be the barometer of whether its worth going or not  :-DD

Positive or negative correlation?

Next one for me is Chippenham, but it is only small (a village hall). Worth it from Brizzle, not from TOWIEland, probably not from blueIceland either. I did get a metal case for my Dekapot, and a Dekastat, but that's about all.

I wonder about the national hamfest in Newark, but it is multiday, hellava trek, nearish Ramco/PPAuction, and near Birketts. But the latter will be at the hamfest anyway.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 08:49:14 am by tggzzz »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33667 on: June 24, 2019, 08:58:07 am »
I'm going to the national hamfest. Someone sent me pictures from last year.

Edit: found some online: http://ok1ghz.goo.cz/gallery/Hamfest_2018/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:00:02 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33668 on: June 24, 2019, 09:15:48 am »
Some nice TEA items there for sure  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33669 on: June 24, 2019, 09:56:40 am »

I recognise some of those people/boxes from smaller hamfests.

I may decide to go on the Thursday, camp, and get in there early on the Friday.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #33670 on: June 24, 2019, 10:06:22 am »

Always these bargain hunters ...    ;D

Good luck.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33671 on: June 24, 2019, 10:14:00 am »
My, my...aren't we a chatty bunch this morning. I got nuthin other than I need to drink some coffee and wake up so carry on.  :-+ :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33672 on: June 24, 2019, 10:15:42 am »

I recognise some of those people/boxes from smaller hamfests.

Yeah there are a few regulars I've noticed. And regular buyers. A few stand out more than others!

The regular traders are pretty poor to be honest. 10x 2n3904's for £1.50 for example, preying entirely on the people who have not managed to make it on to the Internet and find out they are 100 for $1.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #33673 on: June 24, 2019, 10:20:38 am »
A chatty bunch? Here? In the TEA thread?

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33674 on: June 24, 2019, 10:29:23 am »
Gee.....how many rigs does one need?

Ahem....how many scopes and DMM's do I have?

NEVERMIND!  :-DD
Haha, not sure how many DMMs you have, don't see much evidence of them in your bench photos, but scopes yah, you beat me in that arena for sure. [emoji106] But unless you have a hidden stash of DMMs I reckon that one's mine [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

So I'm already forgotten?   :'( :'(

Just when I oops'd and did it again! My 23rd scope, a Tektronix model 475, arrived last Saturday. I haven't counted my DMMs yet, but they're more than 40.

Just yesterday I decided that I've had enough. Really. Yes, this time for real!

And I've found a new law, let's call it "Ero-shan's law": I'm consistently the second-highest bidder on eBay.  >:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf