Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14828091 times)

Vince and 91 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #34825 on: July 15, 2019, 02:20:51 pm »
Ahh I would have never found that. I was looking for 3 digits and tube be they nixies or hollow state variety.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34826 on: July 15, 2019, 03:26:59 pm »
@mnem, hmm...yep it is IMO that rare indeed, I've never seen one before, lets put it that way for now.

@bd139 Yes, its British OK in good nick but I'll tell you all later what it is.... that reminds of an old joke..... "How do you keep an idiot in suspense....... I'll tell you later"  :popcorn:

Since I'm not even warm, I might as well remove my tiny source of amusement:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5372A-Frequency-And-Time-Interval-Analyzer/232674750659
Now that is the sort of thing that I thought bd might be after to help calibrate his timing references, until I saw the price tag and thought nah, he'd probably raid his parts bin to try and knock something up   :-+ You can also rest assured that I'm not after that either, that compared to the items on my radar,  is a boat anchor  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34827 on: July 15, 2019, 03:54:45 pm »
I'm using the most powerful  and cheapest way of resolving that particular problem: ignoring it  :-DD

Disclaimer: doesn't work for a large class of problems. Your mileage may vary.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #34828 on: July 15, 2019, 04:23:05 pm »
I'm using the most powerful  and cheapest way of resolving that particular problem: ignoring it  :-DD

Disclaimer: doesn't work for a large class of problems. Your mileage may vary.

It's worked pretty well on pretty much everything for me. Side effects include the need to move and change my name every 6-9 months or so...   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #34829 on: July 15, 2019, 04:25:31 pm »
I would say you ought to own an 8566B. This SA was some of HP's finest work. I have an A, but it's still a joy to use. It's heavy as hell, but everything about it oozes quality. If you don't want to work that high, the 8568B is fantastic as well.

22 Ghz... At first blush, that sounds beyond anything I'm likely to need.  Still, these look like an incredible bit of kit, so maybe, just maybe....   :-+

Welcome aboard, mindcrime. If you find one at a good price with the cables and have room for it, just ignore the 22 GHz part and buy it. It still works at lower frequencies. :-DD

You guys are totally not helping my TEA problem here.   :-\ ::) ??? :o :(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34830 on: July 15, 2019, 04:28:22 pm »
I have decided upon and ordered a more advanced frequency counter. Now you time-nut boys will be somewhat disappointed for various reasons. First, It's not HP or Keysight or Agilent. It doesn't have all the wiz bang features you guys seek. I'm not currently a time-nut follower. I really don't need 10 to the minus 1 billion parts accuracy or stability.  :-DD

What it does have: 225Mhz or greater response. LED vs LCD. 50 ohm input. A reasonable price vs the more in demand HP. And.....since I'm a fan boy of all things Fluke, it's a Fluke.  :-DD

I should have it early next week. Of course checkout and teardown will be posted.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, bd139, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34831 on: July 15, 2019, 04:29:41 pm »
I would say you ought to own an 8566B. This SA was some of HP's finest work. I have an A, but it's still a joy to use. It's heavy as hell, but everything about it oozes quality. If you don't want to work that high, the 8568B is fantastic as well.

22 Ghz... At first blush, that sounds beyond anything I'm likely to need.  Still, these look like an incredible bit of kit, so maybe, just maybe....   :-+

Welcome aboard, mindcrime. If you find one at a good price with the cables and have room for it, just ignore the 22 GHz part and buy it. It still works at lower frequencies. :-DD

If you're looking for help here....forget it!  :-DD  We FEED the addiction.  :-+ :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34832 on: July 15, 2019, 04:34:47 pm »
I have decided upon and ordered a more advanced frequency counter. Now you time-nut boys will be somewhat disappointed for various reasons. First, It's not HP or Keysight or Agilent. It doesn't have all the wiz bang features you guys seek. I'm not currently a time-nut follower. I really don't need 10 to the minus 1 billion parts accuracy or stability.  :-DD

What it does have: 225Mhz or greater response. LED vs LCD. 50 ohm input. A reasonable price vs the more in demand HP. And.....since I'm a fan boy of all things Fluke, it's a Fluke.  :-DD

I should have it early next week. Of course checkout and teardown will be posted.

No complaints here. Those are excellent little counters  :-+

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #34833 on: July 15, 2019, 04:38:42 pm »

If you're looking for help here....forget it!  :-DD  We FEED the addiction.  :-+ :-+

I see. I feel like this is leading to TEA² --> TEA Envy-based Acquisition

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34834 on: July 15, 2019, 04:54:18 pm »
I think they keep mentioning RPN's supposed superiority  to mask their 'insecurity' (lets just call it insecurity rather than WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS)  :-DD

Yoda RPN prefers.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34835 on: July 15, 2019, 05:02:58 pm »
In the meantime....until the Fluke 1912A arrives with the 50 ohm input I had ordered 4 cheapie 50 ohm BNC feed thru terminators. I checked their DC resistance and all were about 51-52 ohms. Here 2 of them put to work. There is some SLIGHT rounding of the 10MHz square wave from the Heath IG-4244 compared to the 50 ohm feed thru cable that should be used. But the Fluke 1900A now reads 10MHz as it should with the feed thru terminator in place. So it's a win and a success.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #34836 on: July 15, 2019, 05:52:40 pm »

I beg to differ.  We ALWAYS help.  It's simply that your definition of 'help' in this case may be different than ours.  Let's just say that if we were an AA chapter, we'd have our meetings at a venue with an open bar.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mindcrime

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #34837 on: July 15, 2019, 06:11:08 pm »

I see. I feel like this is leading to TEA² --> TEA Envy-based Acquisition

Remember the 11th Commandment: Masochism is endemic, perhaps even mandatory. You're already showing the signs...  :-DD

mnem
*toddles back to Amazon for another round of Competitive Shopping 2019*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34838 on: July 15, 2019, 06:17:59 pm »
Amazon can fuck off. I cancelled prime today just out of spite  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34839 on: July 15, 2019, 06:20:10 pm »
Amazon can fuck off. I cancelled prime today just out of spite  :-DD

Holy shit, what happen? I've never had any issues with them.

Are your girls going to be PO'ed at you for losing Prime Video?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34840 on: July 15, 2019, 06:22:21 pm »
It’s prime day which means leeching off prime customers in the guise of a sale. Watch the prices after the day rocket. Bezos likes money.

They use Netflix so no :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34841 on: July 15, 2019, 06:23:47 pm »
I have completely ignored Prime Day because I knew it was  :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: and more  :bullshit:

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34842 on: July 15, 2019, 06:51:21 pm »

well heck med........being a counter freak is nothing to be ashamed of.

would stick that 7620a in a box and send it to ya' just for the pleasure of calling you a "fluke freq".

pm me........i dare ya'.

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #34843 on: July 15, 2019, 06:58:31 pm »
I have completely ignored Prime Day because I knew it was  :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: and more  :bullshit:

Agreed, in principle. However I just screwed Amazon out of 2 kids' Freetime subscriptions and got newer, faster, 4x bigger capacity kids' tablets for them to use in the bargain. I'll use the old ones for a music streamer and my wife's eBook addiction.  :-+  Okay, not "Screwing them out of" as I'm paying for them up front, but still I'm saving about $20 and getting a hardware refresh out of the deal.

Also found some DDR4-3600 CAS16 RAM at a price I can justify.

And bought my wife the same Waterpik I got her 2 weeks ago, for $40 less.  I love their liberal return policy. >:D

And then there's all the OTHER sales that Prime Day spawns... which is what I'm shopping now.  ;)

mnem
*~vapor~*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34844 on: July 15, 2019, 06:58:41 pm »

well heck med........being a counter freak is nothing to be ashamed of.

would stick that 7620a in a box and send it to ya' just for the pleasure of calling you a "fluke freq".

pm me........i dare ya'.

No....I couldn't. I wouldn't. Damnit....don't tempt me!  >:D :-DD

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34845 on: July 15, 2019, 07:02:05 pm »
do it!  do it!

my only condition is that you must take my side (the equal sign side) in the rpn wars.
free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34846 on: July 15, 2019, 07:03:14 pm »
Go on med, its a small price to pay, do it you know that you want to  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34847 on: July 15, 2019, 07:21:09 pm »
do it!  do it!

my only condition is that you must take my side (the equal sign side) in the rpn wars.

You drive a hard bargain. Of course I'll agree. ==========  :-DD

PM coming at you.  ;D

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34848 on: July 15, 2019, 07:24:54 pm »
do it!  do it!

You drive a hard bargain. Of course I'll agree. ==========  :-DD

PM coming at you.  ;D

fantastic.   now there are two of us in the algebraic army.

oculus and bd had better be careful about poking us with a stick. 
free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34849 on: July 15, 2019, 07:31:03 pm »
You will convert or die. This is the RPN inquisition!  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf