Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14820352 times)

Vince, EggertEnjoyer123 and 117 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #34875 on: July 16, 2019, 02:02:02 am »
For comparison and analysis of the HP serial number system, I provide the serial number histories of the current source 8177B and the amplifier/power supply 6825A:

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #34876 on: July 16, 2019, 02:43:25 am »
You will convert or die. This is the RPN inquisition!  :-DD

No I won't. I now have a Fluke 7260A coming my way due to the good graces of nixiefreqq. I'm easily bought.  :-DD :-DD

Seriously...I don't know how to thank him enough.  :-+

And in other news......Wednesday I go to check out a Tek 485 and a Type 191. It's raining TEA all over me.  :P ;D ;D

I have a 191. It is a cool piece of gear and doesn't weigh forty pounds, which makes it easier to pull off the shelf when I want to use it.  ;D
specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #34877 on: July 16, 2019, 03:37:44 am »
Yooo.... yooo... yooo-ssss...? What is this "use" of which you speak?   :-DD

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #34878 on: July 16, 2019, 03:52:52 am »
Welp.... how did this happen?  :scared:

YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34879 on: July 16, 2019, 04:04:10 am »

You sir, you are overdue of some intensive therapy treatment.  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #34880 on: July 16, 2019, 04:16:17 am »
It's always nice to know my 'problem' is minor when compared to others  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34881 on: July 16, 2019, 04:22:03 am »
It's always nice to know my 'problem' is minor when compared to others  :-DD

Denial is the first step of addiction...  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34882 on: July 16, 2019, 04:43:44 am »

:o
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #34883 on: July 16, 2019, 05:49:15 am »
swmbo saw a piece of TE come out of the basement and depart in a mailing box.

SHE IS NOW TAKING ME OUT FOR ICE CREAM!

now that is what we call a win win result.

:-+

I always announce those rare occasions when a piece of TE departs the premises. It has yet to result in ice cream! :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34884 on: July 16, 2019, 05:58:19 am »

TEA clearly works even if you stop by only occasionally. Your lab has certainly grown, TiN. :-+

Can it be? It appears all the equipment is right side up this time. ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34885 on: July 16, 2019, 06:01:56 am »
Just a small tweak to that explanation. Rather than the year of manufacture, it's the year of the design. It could have been manufactured that year or sometime thereafter. Some models had multiple design iterations, while others were manufactured for many years using the same design.
Are you sure? I've always heard that the first two digits are the year it was made, in years since 1960. Never heard of it denoting design iterations.  :-//

That was my initial understanding too, but further digging into them a while back clarified things a bit. Beginning in 1960, they started using a three digit prefix (which became four digits in 1970), followed by a letter indicating country of origin (A for the US, J for Japan, G for Germany, etc.), then a sequential serial number.

The prefix identifies the release date of the major engineering revision that the instrument is built to - the first one (or two, for the four digit prefixes after 1970) digits added to 1960 will give the year, and the last two are the week. Eg. 710 would be the tenth week of 1967; 2245 would be the 45th week of 1982. To more accurately date the 'birthday' of the unit, you'd need to go inside and find parts with date codes. While they wouldn't tell you with 100% accuracy how new it was, you could be sure it was not older than its newest part (this of course is based on the part in question being original to the instrument).

Some instruments were revised fairly quickly and the engineering rev dates track their production closely; others stayed the same for a long time. For instance, I have an Agilent labeled 8644B signal generator that has a 3546 prefix - late 1995 engineering revision. The component dates indicate that it was made in late 2000 at the earliest.

-Pat

Can you provide a source? I'd like to learn more. I've found some old old discussions talking about how the second two digits are production run numbers, but not much agreement about the meaning of the first two digits. Some say it's the exact year of production, others agree with you. Not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to see a definitive source on this.  :-+

A few years ago, Pat and I tried to find the source we had seen before, but were unsuccessful. Quite frustrating. If I do run across it, you can be sure I'm posting it all over the place as backups.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #34886 on: July 16, 2019, 06:51:34 am »
Life goals.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #34887 on: July 16, 2019, 07:01:00 am »

I always assumed you use your equipment for business, but now I'm not sure anymore. Don't tell me it's just a hobby?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34888 on: July 16, 2019, 07:06:32 am »
Just noticed in some of the early-to-mid-60s tektronix manuals they call for Heathkit gear like the IG-72 audio generator for calibration purposes.  Wouldn’t see that in an HP manual  :o

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34889 on: July 16, 2019, 07:24:24 am »
And the IG-72 is just a later version of the AG-9A I have sitting in the closet awaiting restoration.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #34890 on: July 16, 2019, 07:24:37 am »
I found it!

Copied and pasted from a post to the HPAK mailing list explaining the serial numbering system; the original author worked for HP:

Having worked as a Production Line Engineer, Production Line Manager and Product Support Manager(Americas) for one HP Division, please let me clarify the process for Engineering Changes and how that affects Serial Prefixes.

1. The Basic Identity of an Instrument is the Model No. (e.g. HP 8510A,HP8510B,HP8510C). These Models are all independent of each other and each of the three examples would start with a Serial No.(Suffix) of 00101

2. The most Major Engineering Changes to an Instrument (e.g. Addition of a bunch of New Features or Upgrades) could be implemented into a New Model No. (e.g. change from "A" model to "B" model). In the case of changing to a New Model No. the Serial No.(Suffix) will start again at 00101.

Short of a New Model No., all other changes would be handled through a "Production Change Order".

3. A Production Change Order may or may not trigger a New Serial Prefix. Typically, for instance, the change of a single component value would not cause a Serial Prefix change. I believe (but I'm not 100% on this), that would be decided by Production Engineer in conjunction with Product Support folks, who are responsible for Service Manuals. Major Engineering Changes would always trigger a New Prefix.

4. Instrument Manufacturing is done in Batches, called Production Runs. The Size of each Run is determined by Sales Volume. More Sales, Larger Runs.

5. A New Serial Prefix would be implemented for the Start of a New Production Run. Before issuing Work Orders for a New Production Run, I believe a review of Engineering Change Level would be done and the decision to introduce a New Prefix would be made or had already been made. That could be due to one Major change or sometimes a roll-up of a bunch of Minor ones.

Keep in mind none of this is instantaneous, 'cos of lead times for (new)material to be provisioned.

6. In an Emergency (quite rare), it has been known for a Production Change to be implemented immediately, maybe 'cos of a Safety concern(I did it only once) or some major Defect being discovered.

7. I think by now it has been well established that the Serial Prefix first two digits are the number of Years since 1960 and the last two are the week number of the last Production change included in the Instrument.

Sorry for being a bit Verbose, but that's how it works.

Paraphrasing my understanding of the above:

1: The model number and its letter suffix identifies the instrument type.  Each is considered to be independent of the others for serial numbering purposes, and starts with a 00101 serial number suffix.

2: An expansion of (1) reiterating that the serial number resets with a new letter revision to an instrument when major changes are made.  If it is only a rev change then the serial number will continue to increment sequentially from the last instrument made under the previous engineering rev.

3: Minor changes would not trigger a prefix update; more major ones (but those that were not enough to trigger a new model suffix revision) would trigger a prefix update.

4: When a design is released, they build a bunch at a time.

5: This one hung me up for a bit until I thought it through a bit more and paid attention to the wording.  A new serial prefix would be implemented at the start of a new production run (note that it's 'would be', not 'will be' or 'is' - it only changes if the design is revised)  Prior to the new run, they'd look everything over, and determine if a new prefix was needed; if it was not then the new run would get the old (but current to the design, as it's essentially unchanged) prefix.

To summarize my understanding of what 2-5 mean, for example, if the last unit of the run of the mythical HP 0000A Whatsis (introduced in the 32nd week of 1972) serial number 1232A00250 is finished and the design undergoes a major change to become an HP 0000B Whatsis in the second week of January, 1975, then the first new HP 0000B off the line will be serial number 1502A00101 (new prefix, reset serial).  If, instead, the new iteration of the HP 0000A comes off the assembly line with a lesser engineering change (not enough to warrant it becoming a 'B' model), then the first unit in the new run will have a serial number of 1502A00251 (new prefix, incremented serial).  If it's just a new run with no real changes, then the first off the line in January of 1975 would be serial number 1232A00251 (old prefix, incremented serial).

6 & 7: self explanatory.

I left the OP's name off because it was posted to the mailing list; if anyone wants to dig it was posted on 10/05/17.

Hope this clarifies things.

-Pat

<edit - added missing leading zeroes to my example serial numbers.>
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 07:55:55 am by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Neomys Sapiens, 0culus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34891 on: July 16, 2019, 07:32:01 am »

I always assumed you use your equipment for business, but now I'm not sure anymore. Don't tell me it's just a hobby?
He's clearly trying to out do Mr Paul Carlson and with more modern gear as well  8)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34892 on: July 16, 2019, 07:39:20 am »
Perhaps....but have you seen Paul's other 2 rooms filled with shelves of vintage stuff plus the walk-in broadcast transmitter?  :scared:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34893 on: July 16, 2019, 07:48:15 am »
Ok, time to put an end to the waiting, seeing as I failed to win neither of the items that I had my beady eye, mind you I only put a low ball offer on them as I didn't really want them, they could be seen a backward step from my current collection but, none the less I thought that they were, well sort of interesting and appealing but had some flaws in their design.

Surprisingly only one person guessed correctly and that was done via PM so as not to spoil it for anyone else playing along, and that was really because we both have a common interest in these things
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 07:51:12 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34894 on: July 16, 2019, 07:53:06 am »
Perhaps....but have you seen Paul's other 2 rooms filled with shelves of vintage stuff plus the walk-in broadcast transmitter?  :scared:
Yes I have and also his extensive rack of gear that he intends to restore along with us as part of his training course.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34895 on: July 16, 2019, 08:00:59 am »
Ok, time to put an end to the waiting, seeing as I failed to win neither of the items that I had my beady eye, mind you I only put a low ball offer on them as I didn't really want them, they could be seen a backward step from my current collection but, none the less I thought that they were, well sort of interesting and appealing but had some flaws in their design.

Surprisingly only one person guessed correctly and that was done via PM so as not to spoil it for anyone else playing along, and that was really because we both have a common interest in these things

I'm a sucker for AIM TTi equipment. We had, at the electronics course, a lab all filled with TTi Power Supplies, the PL330P and for years I've been to buy one without success. Normally when a good deal comes around I'm always low on funds. One day, One day.

Nice finds by the way.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34896 on: July 16, 2019, 08:06:11 am »
Yeah I was going for the 1705 but stopping at 55 as it has a couple of flaws I'm not sure I could live with. Firstly the dual measurement takes 4 seconds per reading and secondly the continuity is crap and thirdly no backlight. It does however gain programmability, ARC, dBm relative readout. ARC is a pretty cool thing that TTi came up with which is a poor man's GPIB using daisy chained RS232.

Have some more cool shit on the watch list though  :-+ ... not sure I can be bothered to drive up to Cambridgeshire, ironically where the above TTi stuff was made, to get it though

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #34897 on: July 16, 2019, 08:41:20 am »

The best answer to "how did you become an alcoholic?" is "one drink at a time".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #34898 on: July 16, 2019, 08:41:35 am »
Today I was looking for a book and found in a box these nice ones:

So? How many volumes of the Telefunken Laborbuch?

Just only this reprint. Do you collect them?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34899 on: July 16, 2019, 09:11:31 am »

Always a pleasure to look at your gear !
And always a few new instrument sneaking in .
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf