Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14554647 times)

Wolfgang, BrianInTexas and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #35000 on: July 17, 2019, 03:38:18 pm »
^ Make sure you test it in circuit, it needs a load otherwise it will "tick".

Yes I did it's a no go  :-BROKE

I have an extra power supply laying around if you cant get it going or need one to test with.

Ok thanks for the offer, I'll let you know. Right now, I kind of enjoy the little puzzle  :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35001 on: July 17, 2019, 03:38:45 pm »
Don't forget the other elephant in the room. You folks in the UK pay an average of $6.00 USD per US gallon for gasoline. The last time I got gas it was $2.76 USD/US gallon and NYS is one of the higher priced states for gas.
Wow med, that is so cheap compared to over here, I just filled my car up and it took 48.87litres and cost me £66.67, to fill it up where you go it would cost me just £25.06  :wtf:

But us Yanks still bitch and moan over the price of gas. Mainly because so many of us HAVE TO HAVE big fucking pickup trucks and giant SUV's. With MPG figures under 20 MPG. Yes, I have an SUV (Honda CR-V) but it is economical compared to the big boys. I can get over 30 MPG on the highway. Coming cross country 2 years ago on the Great Plains I got 33 -34 MPG even at 75+ MPH.

Ever once in a while the price spikes over $3.00USD/gallon. First time that happen was 2005 after Hurricane Katrina flooded refineries down south. That was a real shocker.  :scared:   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35002 on: July 17, 2019, 03:41:25 pm »
OK, I'm back from my scrounge hunt and here's what followed me home:  ;D

Good catch! Funny how a lot of old tek scope on the east coast are coming from IBM.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #35003 on: July 17, 2019, 03:47:14 pm »
The Pins are sold out. And the part number does not match.

The connectors listed on ebay have also a different part number.

Be careful, I'm not sure, if those connectors will really fit with the cards in your device.

Ah damnit, I got all excited and jumped the gun without looking closely at the part numbers. :P

The search continues.......
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35004 on: July 17, 2019, 03:47:55 pm »
There are 4 x Solartron 7150 Plus meters, all working with new mains filters fitted just appeared on Ebay from the same seller at £175 each. I notice the LCD illumination on all of them requires attention, nothing a few high density brilliant white LEDs wont cure though. Whats the thinking here, on the pricing here about right or over the top (not that I'm looking to buy them as I recently won 2 of these at auction and replaced both the mains filters already), what do you think??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solartron-7150-Plus-7150-6-5-digit-multimeter-Volt-Current-Ohm-New-Filters-1/113820353085?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #35005 on: July 17, 2019, 03:53:58 pm »
But us Yanks still bitch and moan over the price of gas. Mainly because so many of us HAVE TO HAVE big fucking pickup trucks and giant SUV's. With MPG figures under 20 MPG. Yes, I have an SUV (Honda CR-V) but it is economical compared to the big boys. I can get over 30 MPG on the highway. Coming cross country 2 years ago on the Great Plains I got 33 -34 MPG even at 75+ MPH.

Ever once in a while the price spikes over $3.00USD/gallon. First time that happen was 2005 after Hurricane Katrina flooded refineries down south. That was a real shocker.  :scared:
Some of the cars here do close to 50 MPG in real life conditions with mixed city and highway use.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35006 on: July 17, 2019, 04:00:17 pm »

Some of the cars here do close to 50 MPG in real life conditions with mixed city and highway use.

The best I have achieved is 44 MPG with my '04 Honda Civic.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #35007 on: July 17, 2019, 04:00:53 pm »
The Pins are sold out. And the part number does not match.

The connectors listed on ebay have also a different part number.

Be careful, I'm not sure, if those connectors will really fit with the cards in your device.

Ah damnit, I got all excited and jumped the gun without looking closely at the part numbers. :P

The search continues.......

With some luck you can get another 332 or 335 as a parts mule. For example, there is a 335A in Seoul available.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35008 on: July 17, 2019, 04:44:17 pm »

Even better. I get 66 out of mine regularly even driving it in and out of London. AC dinks 5mpg if thats on but most of the year its not too hot here.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #35009 on: July 17, 2019, 04:48:48 pm »
Even better. I get 66 out of mine regularly even driving it in and out of London. AC dinks 5mpg if thats on but most of the year its not too hot here.
That's diesel presumably? Is that the Fiat?

Oh and UK gallon or US gallon? In UK gallon it would be 56 MPG. med6753 is a yank so I spoke yankee units. ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:52:01 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35010 on: July 17, 2019, 04:55:06 pm »
Petrol. UK gallon. Citroen C3 now.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #35011 on: July 17, 2019, 05:06:36 pm »
Petrol. UK gallon. Citroen C3 now.
Are you sure? That's significantly better than factory specifications and reported averages, although it is noted that it's indeed a frugal car.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35012 on: July 17, 2019, 05:20:47 pm »
Yep. I don’t drive it like a dickhead :)

It’s the 1.0 model. Yes one entire litre.  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35013 on: July 17, 2019, 05:21:01 pm »
A big shout out and thank you to Nixiefreqq.  :-+ :-+ Here it is. Fluke 7260A. I got so many goodies today I don't know what to do next.  :-DD

But anyway, at some point I'll do a tear down.

The following users thanked this post: vinlove, kj7e, bd139, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #35014 on: July 17, 2019, 05:32:34 pm »
Wellp... things are winding down; another few hours in the NewEgg "FantasTech" sale and it's all over.  Unless they extend it. ;)

I'll admit one thing about the Prime Day/ANTI-PRIME DAY phenomenon... if you're looking to "refresh" a budget last-gen gaming rig, you can get pretty good on the cheap. Name-brand B450 gaming motherboards, $60-70. 16GB DDR4-2400/3000 $45-70. "Slower" (note quotes, please ;)) 512GB nvme drives $60-80, and they're giving away the 1TB Intel 660 drives. Right now several Crucial combos; 500GB P1 nvme SSD and DDR4-3000/DDR4-3200 ram for $92.

Ryzen 2400G for $99, 2600 for $119. Even saw a Ryzen 3 for $47. Think I'd still rather have a Ryzen 3600 at $199 than the 2700 at $149, though.   :o

I'm half tempted to build a second rig out of just the sloppy seconds on NewEgg...  :-DD

mnem
*tzzzt*
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 05:40:26 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35015 on: July 17, 2019, 05:35:13 pm »
Rigol DS1052E arrived few days ago, and connected up with FY6800.  Works well. Looks like it is all I need for few years.

Also snapped up a Prime day deal 50% off DMM from Amazon. It works well too. Quite happy with current set up.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, kj7e, bd139

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35016 on: July 17, 2019, 05:51:30 pm »
switched on the fy6800 and ds1052e

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35017 on: July 17, 2019, 05:57:42 pm »
As promised. Tear down pix of the Tek Type 191. Absolutely beautiful construction. Includes a BIG roll of silver solder for the ceramic strips. But look at those 2 capacitors. Leaking like hell. Ones a 50uf. The other 100uf. Have to check through my stash. Should have something to replace them. No further power ups until that's done.

The following users thanked this post: vinlove, kj7e, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #35018 on: July 17, 2019, 06:01:50 pm »
This next one is the real jewel. Type 191 Signal Generator. According to the seller it works. Didn't care, I'd be willing to fix it. It's filthy but all in one piece. And it has a BNC adapter to that weird output connector. What are they called? I've seen them before on other equipment. I'll do a show and tell tear down of this 191 and the 485 later. Also get manuals downloaded.

Oh and the Fluke 7260A is out for delivery!  :-+ :-+ :-+

The connector is a GenRad 874.  I first got a look at them live and in person a few years back out in CA at the TRW swap meet.  A guy there had a bunch of GR-874 adapters for sale; he'd gotten them from a business in San Diego that had closed down.  I grabbed some other RF stuff from him, and thought those were cool connectors, being hermaphroditic and therefor unisex, but had no need for them so didn't buy any.  After the swap meet, I headed up to Apex, and what did I buy?  If you guessed a Tek 191 (along with a 106), you win.  Of course, the next two times my trip was timed right to hit the swap meet that guy wasn't there.  I caught him about a year later and got some more adapters then. 

-Pat

<edit - typo>
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:04:13 pm by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35019 on: July 17, 2019, 06:31:48 pm »
There's a guy at hamfests here that has a bag of GR-874 connectors and attenuators regularly for £5. I might grab that for the sake of distribution if it turns up again and anyone wants any of the bits.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35020 on: July 17, 2019, 06:34:11 pm »
There's a guy at hamfests here that has a bag of GR-874 connectors and attenuators regularly for £5. I might grab that for the sake of distribution if it turns up again and anyone wants any of the bits.

Yea, grab them. If I come across a Tek 106 like Cubdriver has I'll probably snag it.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #35021 on: July 17, 2019, 06:56:49 pm »
Don't forget the other elephant in the room. You folks in the UK pay an average of $6.00 USD per US gallon for gasoline. The last time I got gas it was $2.76 USD/US gallon and NYS is one of the higher priced states for gas.
Wow med, that is so cheap compared to over here, I just filled my car up and it took 48.87litres and cost me £66.67, to fill it up where you go it would cost me just £25.06  :wtf:

$2.76/gal is a bargain. When I filled up last week it was $4. That's when I think about the corresponding prices across the pond as I drive home. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35022 on: July 17, 2019, 06:59:48 pm »
A big shout out and thank you to Nixiefreqq.  :-+ :-+ Here it is. Fluke 7260A. I got so many goodies today I don't know what to do next.  :-DD

But anyway, at some point I'll do a tear down.

Congrats! Good thing you're retired with so many goodies to prioritize (or start in parallel).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35023 on: July 17, 2019, 07:04:43 pm »
I'm about to add some TEA, but eBay's PayPal integration is broken...again. :horse: It silently returns to the checkout page after I enter my credentials, but doesn't register as being logged in. Buggy eBay...nothing new here.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #35024 on: July 17, 2019, 07:59:54 pm »
I'm about to add some TEA, but eBay's PayPal integration is broken...again. :horse: It silently returns to the checkout page after I enter my credentials, but doesn't register as being logged in. Buggy eBay...nothing new here.

Did you try rebooting the user?  :-DD

No, seriously. Try logging out of fleaBay & in again. Seems to cure a lot of their stupidity. Alternately, your problem might be that the vendor is "on vacation" or some other BS.

mnem
 :-DMM

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf