Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14784591 times)

BILLPOD, K0ELB, klab, tggzzz, powerflux, Vince and 81 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #35150 on: July 19, 2019, 06:22:20 pm »
Rain or not I am so jealous. I've never seen a BUFF up close like that.  :o :-//

One time, about 30 years ago, saw a B-52H that was perhaps 1500 feet up fly by.

My father was career Air Force.  When I was 5 to 7 years old, we were at Seymour Johnson AFB in North Carolina.  It was a BUFF base.  There was a Tasty Freeze just off the base at the end of the runway.  We'd go and have ice cream and watch them take off and land.  Their wings "flap" when they take off you know.  I remember that my dad used it as a "teaching moment" to introduce me to the idea that sometimes in engineering "if it don't bend, it will break".

Bet they don't bend as much as the wings in this 30s video :)

Maybe not, but:

I can't find a really good photo or video of it, but I remember them flexing as much in real life.  I think that to really see them flapping, you need gusty cross winds (which, I'm sure, the pilots just love).

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35151 on: July 19, 2019, 06:52:42 pm »
That actually looks surprisingly good. Nice one  :-+

Thanks. It's definitely getting there. Going to put this guy aside until I submit a parts order. Which I suspect will be soon. I want to assess the replacement caps required for the Heath AG-9A Audio Generator plus I suspect the 465B that giving me some fits will need some replacement caps too.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35152 on: July 19, 2019, 07:21:50 pm »
Yeh, I have to say that it is looking real good as well, a while ago I was offered one of these switching units, but a bigger one with several inputs on it for a song, but I declined because I could not see a use for it on my bench, I must admit that now I'm kind of regretting turning it down but what is done is done. I can't remember who made it though, it might have been a Heathkit for all I know?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35153 on: July 19, 2019, 07:27:07 pm »
If you have a dual trace scope you really don't need an electronic switch. They were marketed to hobbyists who had a typical hobby single trace scope....like my RCA WO-505A.

Once I get it all cleaned up I'll demo it on the RCA scope.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35154 on: July 19, 2019, 07:31:35 pm »
Thats correct, but equally if you have a dual trace then hooking up a pair of these switches could effectively provide you with a psuedo 4 channel scope but I believe the bandwidth is severally curtailed though.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35155 on: July 19, 2019, 07:33:49 pm »
That's also correct. These electronic switches don't have an impressive bandwidth. Perhaps out to 400KHz but that's pushing it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:35:34 pm by med6753 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35156 on: July 19, 2019, 07:48:04 pm »
As high as that eh? but that would still be ideal for my audio work on stereos.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #35157 on: July 19, 2019, 07:53:40 pm »
That actually looks surprisingly good. Nice one  :-+

Ditto!  :-+

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35158 on: July 19, 2019, 08:07:22 pm »
GM does many things wrong. Except one. Corvette. The C-6 and C-7 were awesome. This C-8 is beyond awesome. European million dollar exotics, you are on notice. Starting price is only $60K USD and will leave your arse in the dust.  :-+

Me and the 'vette are the same age. 1953.   

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35159 on: July 19, 2019, 08:18:38 pm »
GM does many things wrong. Except one. Corvette. The C-6 and C-7 were awesome. This C-8 is beyond awesome. European million dollar exotics, you are on notice. Starting price is only $60K USD and will leave your arse in the dust.  :-+

Just as long as you don't ask it to corner at speed or else you could be in dire trouble I believe [emoji16]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35160 on: July 19, 2019, 08:24:40 pm »
Well yes, American "muscle" cars have always been about straight line speed. Just don't ask them to make a turn.  :palm: :scared: But not the Corvette. The last few generations have had world class handling too.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #35161 on: July 19, 2019, 08:32:47 pm »
Yeah, and the Corvette chassis is a perennial contender in sports car classes in endurance racing. The move to mid engine isn't just Corvette though; the latest Porsche 911 RSR (race car, not street legal) is actually mid engine as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see this trickle down to more road cars.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35162 on: July 19, 2019, 09:07:13 pm »
Geez.....1700 hours and it's still 35 C outside. A comfy 23 in here. Think I'll continue to stay inside although I do need to go out and get a few provisions. It can wait until later.  :phew:

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #35163 on: July 19, 2019, 09:32:18 pm »
Geez.....1700 hours and it's still 35 C outside. A comfy 23 in here. Think I'll continue to stay inside although I do need to go out and get a few provisions. It can wait until later.  :phew:

Yeah, I just broke down and put my air conditioner in.  Hopefully I'm not too far behind on the power curve for it...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35164 on: July 19, 2019, 10:11:42 pm »
I also found that the one .05uf cap that I was short is leaky. So I have to order a .0.047uf/400V tubular.

How do you know exactly when those caps are leaking? Do you have one of those fancy high voltage tester ?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:15:45 pm by Kosmic »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35165 on: July 19, 2019, 10:27:53 pm »

Jeebus; STILL glomming their design from a 40-year-old Ferrari.  :palm: I realize Shinoda's been dead for 20 years, but still. There has to be SOMEBODY out there with an original idea SOMEWHERE.  |O

Corvette hasn't been a 'vette since I was in diapers. Effing pampered playboy wannabe sports car.  :palm: I've owned three, including a 1982 off the dealer lot in midnight blue metallic. THAT era was the beginning of the end; but T-38 inspired body lines still earned it a place in my heart. ;)

Still liked either of my older ones much more... who needs bling lighting and boom-box-car stereo when you've got the sweet, sweet music of a 396 through 2.75" pipes to feed your white-line fever?

mnem
*no replacement for displacement*
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:30:39 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35166 on: July 19, 2019, 10:38:42 pm »
Wouldn't be surprised to see this trickle down to more road cars.

It won't. If mid-engined was going to catch on in affordable road cars it would have done so by now. There have been three affordable mid-engined reasonably mainstream road cars, the Lancia Montecarlo (introduced 1975), the Toyota MR2 (1984) and the Rover MGF (1995). The Fiat X1/9 doesn't count as it barely counted as a car, more a collection of faults that sometimes managed to move along the road, slowly, on account of the huge 74hp available.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #35167 on: July 19, 2019, 10:40:10 pm »
Wouldn't be surprised to see this trickle down to more road cars.

It won't. If mid-engined was going to catch on in affordable road cars it would have done so by now. There have been three affordable mid-engined reasonably mainstream road cars, the Lancia Montecarlo (introduced 1975), the Toyota MR2 (1984) and the Rover MGF (1995). The Fiat X1/9 doesn't count as it barely counted as a car, more a collection of faults that sometimes managed to move along the road, slowly, on account of the huge 74hp available.

I don't necessarily mean affordable cars.  :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #35168 on: July 19, 2019, 10:50:50 pm »
I beg to differ  :P

First tune on dyno, 20B drinking meth with 40 pounds of boost and oh man did it sound cool.
3 full power run ups.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35169 on: July 19, 2019, 10:50:59 pm »
I also found that the one .05uf cap that I was short is leaky. So I have to order a .0.047uf/400V tubular.

How do you know exactly when those caps are leaking? Do you have one of those fancy high voltage tester ?

Nope, no fancy tester. It's a coupling cap which means it should only let AC through and block the DC voltage from the prior stage. Well it was letting a small, but measurable, amount of DC pass thru which means it's leaky and no good. 

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35170 on: July 19, 2019, 10:52:20 pm »
Yeah, the only Fiero I ever say with the power to get out of its own way had been rebuilt around a huffed 231 Buick. Results were less than stellar; the amount of flex in that bathtub made it either lurch like a lumber wagon or shred tires, with a thin razor blade's worth of driveability between the two states.  :palm:

I tried to talk Charlie into doing a tube chassis, or at least tying front/rear subsections together. But by that time he was sick of effing with it and just pulled the engine for a T-bucket build. On a ground-up 4x6 tube frame.  :o

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35171 on: July 19, 2019, 10:54:02 pm »

First tune on dyno, 20B drinking meth with 40 pounds of boost and oh man did it sound cool.
3 full power run ups.

I agree. Latest iteration of Chevy small block makes those old big blocks seem like do-do birds.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35172 on: July 19, 2019, 11:00:37 pm »

3 full power run ups.

Meh. Now do the same boost to a real motor.  >:D When that thing can do wheelstands in a 5200-lb curb weight F-150 with 2.73 gears, come see me. ;)

mnem
I suppose if you put a transfer case in the middle of your driveline...  :o

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35173 on: July 19, 2019, 11:06:28 pm »
ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

A shedload of NewEgg goodies just arrived... and my bench is covered with tore-apart LAMBDA LQ-532s... and all the schizz I moved so they could be placed in my racks.  :scared:

mnem
PS: If you look at the tech in REAL supercars, those guys are STILL several generations ahead. It's been half a century since America had ANYTHING you could really call "Skunkworks" level bleeding-edge. :palm:

PPS: That actually WORKED.  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 11:10:34 pm by mnementh »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #35174 on: July 19, 2019, 11:07:57 pm »
Wheelie bars were mandatory on these puffed rotaries and even the lesser 13B's would wheelstand.
It's all about hookup.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf