Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14569018 times)

Vince and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #35275 on: July 20, 2019, 08:33:11 pm »
YESSS!!! You DO get it! That IS what 'vette is! The Corvette was ALWAYS about the primal stuff: Gorgeous predatory & feminine body lines combined with phenomenal raw power, and NOTHING ELSE!

You didn't need ANYTHING but 1000 miles of empty interstate and a full tank of gas. Okay, several tanks of gas. ;) Stereo? The radio was OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT. Trunk...? FUCK YOU! Be glad we gave you enough room to put your girl in the seat beside you. BACK SEAT? If you can't get it on with a shifter jammed in her bum, you don't DESERVE a Corvette!!! When you find the girl who likes it that way, MARRY HER!!! :-DD

I LOVE "Corvette". I HATE What these fuckheads have made of it.

mnem
*primal*

Then .... there's this:

(I don't think I've seen any other car do that to Jay Leno)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:03:25 pm by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #35276 on: July 20, 2019, 10:04:01 pm »
You know what, I'd rather have a Jag XK8 and show you how a real car performs [emoji1787][emoji1787]

You know what they say... "If you buy a Jag, buy two so you'll have something to drive while it's in the shop".   :P

Don't they have the same say about Ford?  :popcorn:

Lots of people do but I'm not sure why.   In 2001 I bought a 2001 Ford Explorer SUV.  Other than things you expect to wear out like tires, shocks, brakes, a fan belt, and a couple radiator hoses, in the 16 years I had it I had to put front ball joints in twice, and replace a cracked thermostat hosing and a bad intake manifold gasket.  And one time when it quit idling I had to clean the throttle body and the idle air control valve.  I think that's pretty damn good for 16 years of use.

In May 2018 I traded it in on a 2017 Explorer.  So far I've had to do nothing to the new one but change the oil, but I've only had it a bit over a year.  It does have a couple recalls I need to get done though.  But with all the new fangled gadgets in the 2017 I somehow think it's not going to be as trouble free as the 2001 model was.  Just more stuff to go wrong.  We'll see.

Not that the three Fords (had a 94 Ranger pickup too) I have had make a good statistical sample, but I have lots of friends and family members that have had Fords and have not had any amount of problems that would indicate they are really any less reliable than any other manufacturer.

My biggest disappointment so far with the 2017 Explorer is that with 16 years newer technology, and a smaller 3.5L engine, they only managed to increase the gas mileage by 1 or 2 mpg in the city.  Come on, they should be able to do better than that.  But since I only drive about 8000 miles a year, the cost of the gas isn't that big of a concern for me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #35277 on: July 20, 2019, 10:32:01 pm »
You know what, I'd rather have a Jag XK8 and show you how a real car performs [emoji1787][emoji1787]

You'd rather be seen driving the car known to motorheads as the Screaming Catfish?!? SERIOUSLY...?  :-DD

mnem
 >:D
At least it's better than that American plastic seizure they just presented.
Jag is a international legend and respected car, the XJ6 was voted world's best and best looking luxury car for many year running. So I think I'll stick with the Jag thanks [emoji83]

Sorry, but I do agree with mnem on this one. The resemblance to a catfish mouth is striking.  ;D
I don't care, I still like Jags, look beyond the badge, as I do with my Skoda. Skoda was for years the butt of a shit load of jokes, but most people would admit that they are no longer a joke in car world.

"Corvette" is ALSO such a legend. So?  :-//

You're thinking of the Jaguar E-Type; which the XK8 is trying to "harken back to" but fails miserably. :'(

In this modern world world where reliable and efficiently metered EFI/Ignition systems are literally an off-the-shelf commodity item you can buy in kit form, it is HARD to make a car that ISN'T dependable anymore; you HAVE TO TRY to make it happen.  And still, Jaguar succeeds in keeping their rep for being high-maintenance. :palm:

You don't get my point... I don't hate European Sports Cars; I LOVE THEM. For (not in spite of) WHAT THEY ARE. What I HATE is when people try to make a car something it isn't; and what "Corvette" is NOW is a FAILED ATTEMPT at being pretty much the antithesis of what they were born as. Because 95% of the decisions made at GM are made by useless marketing wanks, who are so far removed from actual humanity they have no clue what BUILDING CARS is all about.  :palm:

I've owned more cars than most people have driven; driven more cars than a lot of people have SEEN. I popped out the chute with a gearshift grip and white-line fever, just like my momma. EVERY CAR has its place, and its perfect owner (well, except maybe a Yugo ;)). I LOVE CARS.

mnem
50+ years old and STILL:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #35278 on: July 20, 2019, 10:48:33 pm »
Finally got the replacement KSGER soldering station today. It works fine but there are several issues that I wanted to address (was there going to be any doubt?).

First thing was the backup battery - it was completely dead. I knew this was an issue with these and I know how to fix it, but I chose to leave it without a battery, due to a good suggestion by another person on You Tube. If you leave out the battery it will simply count up the time from power-up, so showing you the time it's been on. I think this is better. I mean, I know what time it is and the date anyway.  :-//

The front circuit board was definitely bent due to stresses on it by the mis-alignment of the two opposing forces - the solder iron connector and the rotary encoder. I fixed this by using some spacers on the encoder. I was going to take it apart and use washers there but the genius of the mechanical design would require desoldering the iron connector to remove the whole board.  :P

Also in China it appears that power switches are "ON" pushed down and "OFF" pushed up. I do not like that so I popped out the power switch and turned it easily 180 deg.

I also replaced the knob with another one I liked better (not slippery).

Now it's back together and I can calibrtate all the tips I have and start soldering something!  :box:

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35279 on: July 20, 2019, 11:15:56 pm »
And Now For Something Completely... ON-TOPIC!!!

Y'all know a little while back I received a couple LAMBDA LQ-532s; I've finally had the time to go through them and check all the caps.

Between the two units, I found ONE CAP not within 10% of spec; and that had completely failed. For those who don't know, these are made to be a "hermetically sealed" cap, which if it fails instead of spewing its guts and poop all over the unit, instead is supposed to split the red seal and expand the shrink-wrap like this one did, keeping the electrolyte contained.  :-+ Note I said "Supposed to". ;)

I had a similar-quality SPRAGUE 100uF/50V radial in the bin that tested good; made a extra-heavy lead extension and plonked it in there.  :-+

I HAVE THA POWAAAHHH!!!

Gaze on in wonder, my friends. You'll not likely see my bench this clean for a LONG, LONG time, if EVER. (We'll ignore my wheeled welding table covered with shit just off-screen)  :-DD

But WAIT... THERE's MORE!!! Now How Much Would You Pay...?

How about $22 delivered? Would you pay that for 10 good, heavy, extra-slinky silicone patch cables?!?

These FINALLY arrived, ordered off of AliEx on the 3rd; 10 pieces 1M long, 16ga in 5 colors for $20.84 (now a dollar more). https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32269835499.html

I give a hearty 2 claws up, excellent quality fine stranded 16ga wire printed as it should be on the 1.5mm silicone jacket (which I also peeled back the insulation and confirmed firsthand) and soldered construction.  :-+ :-+

I like these ends; while not as much covalent area as my beloved HXT 4mm, multiple independent spring contacts does indicate they should remain quite reliable. They make good depth of contact in all my PSUS and meters, including the super-recessed ones on the 3478A. And of course, they also stack like a crazy staircase-thingy as far away from the socket as you dare to go lest weight & leverage break the socket off your meter.  :-/O

mnem
*JUICY*
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 11:29:21 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Kosmic, mindcrime

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35280 on: July 20, 2019, 11:29:50 pm »

You'd rather be seen driving the car known to motorheads as the Screaming Catfish?!? SERIOUSLY...?  :-DD

mnem
 >:D
At least it's better than that American plastic seizure they just presented.
Jag is a international legend and respected car, the XJ6 was voted world's best and best looking luxury car for many year running. So I think I'll stick with the Jag thanks [emoji83]

Sorry, but I do agree with mnem on this one. The resemblance to a catfish mouth is striking.  ;D
I don't care, I still like Jags, look beyond the badge, as I do with my Skoda. Skoda was for years the butt of a shit load of jokes, but most people would admit that they are no longer a joke in car world.

"Corvette" is ALSO such a legend. So?  :-//

You're thinking of the Jaguar E-Type; which the XK8 is trying to "harken back to" but fails miserably. :'(

In this modern world world where reliable and efficiently metered EFI/Ignition systems are literally an off-the-shelf commodity item you can buy in kit form, it is HARD to make a car that ISN'T dependable anymore; you HAVE TO TRY to make it happen.  And still, Jaguar succeeds in keeping their rep for being high-maintenance. :palm:

You don't get my point... I don't hate European Sports Cars; I LOVE THEM. For (not in spite of) WHAT THEY ARE. What I HATE is when people try to make a car something it isn't; and what "Corvette" is NOW is a FAILED ATTEMPT at being pretty much the antithesis of what they were born as. Because 95% of the decisions made at GM are made by useless marketing wanks, who are so far removed from actual humanity they have no clue what BUILDING CARS is all about.  :palm:

I've owned more cars than most people have driven; driven more cars than a lot of people have SEEN. I popped out the chute with a gearshift grip and white-line fever, just like my momma. EVERY CAR has its place, and its perfect owner (well, except maybe a Yugo ;)). I LOVE CARS.

mnem
50+ years old and STILL:
Amen to that, I love cars too but that Yugo is something else, even its Mum can't love it [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35281 on: July 20, 2019, 11:32:28 pm »
Finally got the replacement KSGER soldering station today. It works fine but there are several issues that I wanted to address (was there going to be any doubt?).

First thing was the backup battery - it was completely dead. I knew this was an issue with these and I know how to fix it, but I chose to leave it without a battery, due to a good suggestion by another person on You Tube. If you leave out the battery it will simply count up the time from power-up, so showing you the time it's been on. I think this is better. I mean, I know what time it is and the date anyway.  :-//

The front circuit board was definitely bent due to stresses on it by the mis-alignment of the two opposing forces - the solder iron connector and the rotary encoder. I fixed this by using some spacers on the encoder. I was going to take it apart and use washers there but the genius of the mechanical design would require desoldering the iron connector to remove the whole board.  :P

Also in China it appears that power switches are "ON" pushed down and "OFF" pushed up. I do not like that so I popped out the power switch and turned it easily 180 deg.

I also replaced the knob with another one I liked better (not slippery).

Now it's back together and I can calibrtate all the tips I have and start soldering something!  :box:

I've been thinking of getting same one. It has good reviews.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35282 on: July 20, 2019, 11:34:15 pm »
Also completed the exterior cosmetic work on the 485. New feet installed robbed from a 465 parts mule. Replaced missing AC-GND-DC knob on channel 1 also from a 465 parts mule. Cleaned off all the stickers and residue. And most of all spray painted the scratched up cabinet. Turned out rather good but this guy will never be pristine. Left to do is fix the channel 2 variable knob and shaft and then start troubleshooting the no power. But that won't happen for a while. Many other projects ahead of this one.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, Kosmic

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #35283 on: July 20, 2019, 11:44:08 pm »
 :-DD
The coiled up soldering iron lead shot, 'specially for mnem.  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35284 on: July 20, 2019, 11:51:19 pm »
*dies*

mnem
💀 Happy now...?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 11:57:08 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35285 on: July 20, 2019, 11:51:21 pm »

mnem
50+ years old and STILL:

Why do you think I keep the Civic? Because I enjoy paying double insurance, double maintenance, gas, etc, etc? No, I keep the Civic for when I get tired of all the do-dads in the CR-V and most of all it's automatic transmission. Getting in the Civic is like a breath of fresh air. Direct and precise steering. 5 speed MANUAL transmission. No ABS, no traction control, no bullshit. A car you can DRIVE and toss around in the corners. Pull off smooth downshifts and exit a curve with the engine right in it's sweet spot. It may not be fast...but it does like to be driven and that 1.7 liter engine absolutely loves to rev. Driving it is my yoga.  :-+ 

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35286 on: July 20, 2019, 11:59:25 pm »
Then you understand why, in my eyes, what they call a Corvette nowadays is just a great big to the car gods.  ;)

mnem
 8)

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #35287 on: July 21, 2019, 12:34:02 am »
And Now For Something Completely... ON-TOPIC!!!

Thank goodness! :-DD (We were on quite the train of tangents.)

I HAVE THA POWAAAHHH!!!

Gaze on in wonder, my friends. You'll not likely see my bench this clean for a LONG, LONG time, if EVER. (We'll ignore my wheeled welding table covered with shit just off-screen)  :-DD

They look great up there. And, man, your bench looks so tidy and organized. That just ain't right. >:D

How about $22 delivered? Would you pay that for 10 good, heavy, extra-slinky silicone patch cables?!?

These FINALLY arrived, ordered off of AliEx on the 3rd; 10 pieces 1M long, 16ga in 5 colors for $20.84 (now a dollar more). https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32269835499.html

Thanks for the follow up report. I'm currently good on patch cables, but have your recommendations in the POI for future purchases. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #35288 on: July 21, 2019, 12:44:04 am »

I give a hearty 2 claws up, excellent quality fine stranded 16ga wire printed as it should be on the 1.5mm silicone jacket (which I also peeled back the insulation and confirmed firsthand) and soldered construction.  :-+ :-+

Oh man... you just made my day, and contributed to my DBA situation.  You have discovered my secret weakness... it's less test equipment per-se, and more test leads, jumpers, wire, etc.  Show me anything with a banana plug, alligator clip, mini-grabber clip, BNC connector, etc., and I'm in. The more colors the merrier!  Different lengths, colors, connectors, adapters, etc... you can NEVER have enough leads, jumpers, etc. You just can't. ;D

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35289 on: July 21, 2019, 01:02:05 am »

Looking good Med  :-+ I'm tempted to do the same with my 485.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35290 on: July 21, 2019, 01:04:07 am »

Nice setup! I really like the look of those Lambda PSU  ^-^

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35291 on: July 21, 2019, 01:52:05 am »

Looking good Med  :-+ I'm tempted to do the same with my 485.

If you do here is the color which is almost a dead ringer to Tek Blue.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35292 on: July 21, 2019, 02:06:36 am »

Oh man... you just made my day, and contributed to my DBA situation.  You have discovered my secret weakness... it's less test equipment per-se, and more test leads, jumpers, wire, etc.  Show me anything with a banana plug, alligator clip, mini-grabber clip, BNC connector, etc., and I'm in. The more colors the merrier!  Different lengths, colors, connectors, adapters, etc... you can NEVER have enough leads, jumpers, etc. You just can't. ;D

Oh... dude... I'm so-o-o-o sorry.  :'(  Because when you see the KSSTConnect Store on AliEx , your head's just gonna  

mnem
*plays a funeral dirge for mc on tissue paper & comb Kazoo* >:D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 02:21:16 am by mnementh »

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #35293 on: July 21, 2019, 02:27:30 am »

Oh... dude... I'm so-o-o-o sorry.  :'(  Because when you see the KSSTConnect Store on AliEx , your head's just gonna  

mnem
*plays a funeral dirge for mc on tissue paper & comb Kazoo* >:D

Bwahahaha.. .I'm almost actually scared to click that link! 

Edit:

That was somewhere between "disturbing" and "nerdgasmic". And I think a spool of 9000' of silicon insulated wire is being delivered to my place next week...
 :-DD
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 02:31:28 am by mindcrime »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #35294 on: July 21, 2019, 02:28:01 am »
I need more Leads  ;D The cheaper evilbay or Aliexpress molded ones are fine for a few amps and most bench work but over 5V the voltage drop SUX.

This is a chunk of mine but doesn't include some of the BNC's/adapters and most of the heavy duty R/C ones and their own adapters stored elsewhere. Daily drivers within easy reach over the shack frame and the drawer for the rest and the shorty adapters. Separate drawer for 240V test leads blocks and deathdapters.

Time to go jump on the roof in the Winters Sun and finish off the screwing and polycarbonate replacement. If I am not back in 6-8 hours call me an Ambulance  :o
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35295 on: July 21, 2019, 02:49:28 am »
And Another Thing...

While I was noodling around on AliEx, I stumbled across a smaller version of this for like $4; they market it in various sizes as a heating plate for applying/disassembling high-lux LEDs to/from the aluminum-plate star/disc PCB that they're typically applied to as heat-sink/transfer plates.
At first glance it looks like a deathtrap firestarter you wouldn't want to get within splatter distance of; but the description says it's a 220V PTC element that self-regulates to ~250°C in about 30 seconds. Mmmmhmmmm...

I was curious, but the 120V ones were smaller and much more expensive; so I took a $5 gamble on one of the 220V/300W rated ones to see. As I expected it takes a few minutes drawing approx 1.3A, but being PTC element, it does come up to nearly its rated temp then throttles back to ~0.6A at ~200°C, stabilizing at ~230°C on my workbench. Curious, I did confirm that direct contact with the plate WILL melt 63/37 solder fully liquid.  :-+

This one is 120mm x 70mm, which is a nice size for all sorts of projects; also warming your coffee cup, and maybe even roasting some coffee beans...?

mnem
*couch tuber time widda kiddles*
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:12:51 am by mnementh »

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #35296 on: July 21, 2019, 03:19:25 am »
I feel like that's something I need even though I don't know right now what I would use it for.  :)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #35297 on: July 21, 2019, 03:33:40 am »
Speaking of deathdapters and dodgy devices @mnementh  :o

Dissasembly completed. Both 5Ah batteries charged time for screwing   ;D

But first Coffee .....

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35298 on: July 21, 2019, 04:03:52 am »
I feel like that's something I need even though I don't know right now what I would use it for.  :)

LOL... that's EXACTLY how I wound up with this one.  :palm:

speaking of deathdapters and dodgy devices @mnementh  :o   Dissasembly completed. Both 5Ah batteries charged time for screwing   ;D

But first Coffee .....

Damn straight... PRIORITIES, MAN!!!  :-+

mnem
*currently salaciously fondling his Aorus*

The following users thanked this post: Carl_Smith

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #35299 on: July 21, 2019, 04:14:10 am »
"Use"? What is this "use" you lot speak of? I thought we bought this stuff because we like blinking lights, knobs, multi-colored wire, and "things that get hot and/or explode"?

Use... Pffthhtffttthhhtttttttt....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf