Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563819 times)

Pilatus and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #35400 on: July 22, 2019, 07:02:51 am »
I've finally got around to opening 1/3 of a previous acquisition.
Snip
Datron voltage divider, operating in a manner of the volt ratio box(L&N,Guildline)made the primary standard ones.
Datron 4902. I'd buy it from you...

Ok please don't tell me you paid 10$  |O

Close, but no cigar.

That box doesn't have its schematic on the front panel and is easy to understand. It is also the second 1/3, which I haven't opened since it is wired to the third 1/3.

No, I didn't pay $10, either for the complete setup or for 1/3 of it:( But within an order of magnitude if you include petrol and depreciation. My photo showed 65 resistors, and if you take  the price I saw on fleabay yesterday[1], then that's much more than I paid :)

[1] virtually nothing visible today?!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35401 on: July 22, 2019, 07:15:52 am »
Snip
Datron voltage divider, operating in a manner of the volt ratio box(L&N,Guildline)made the primary standard ones.

I've got the other 2/3 as well.

I think learning to use it will occupy me for a while.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35402 on: July 22, 2019, 12:00:20 pm »

Its another Philips. Couldn't find anything resembling a manual, but for less than 22 € including shipping you can't do much wrong:

Looks like one of the Japanese made ones (a re-branded Takeda Riken), I have a Philips PM 2423 multimeter made by them.

David

You have a point there. The whole appearance is definitely not Philips-y. Colors, buttons, tilt stand. Still haven't opened it, scheduled for this evening.

I have no issues whatsoever with the counter being not a Philips original.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35403 on: July 22, 2019, 12:03:03 pm »
Luck was on my side yesterday and I scored this nice frequency counter; a BK Precision 1803D.
Sure, it's quite basic for a FC, but a basic frequency counter is better than no frequency counter at all.

It's a start, and not a bad one!
200 MHz also.

Congratulations!  :-+

The following users thanked this post: battlecoder

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #35404 on: July 22, 2019, 01:54:11 pm »
As usual, Shahriar has you covered.  :-+

Some of the stuff he repairs is WAY beyond my skill level to barely comprehend. But I watch anyway and this old dog does sometimes learn new tricks.  ;D

Paul Carlson is more my speed.  :-+

I watch them both, learn so much from them. Both of their collections of test equipment are absolutely awesome.  :-+ I still want to know just how big Paul's basement is.  :-DD He's showed us parts of it in video tours, but he still has tons of space for all that stuff.

Pulled the trigger on the type 114. Also been amusing myself with the hidden timer/clock on the HP45.

I knew you would.  :-+ But I'm sort of in the same place. I have so much stuff laying around here that needs repair/restore that unless something comes along that's an absolute screaming deal I'm going to pass for now.

Yeah, and a good pulse generator is something I need. I built one a while back using a 555 timer, and it works, but it needs a square wave trigger input, which takes the function generator out of commission.

I agree; it has to be a screaming deal and ideally something small and light.  :-DD I have an 8568B in the repair queue still yet to be touched. Need to install a battery in my 8566A so it stops losing it's mind. Plus I am going to be getting another box of Tek goodies for my 7904A soon, which will be a mix of stuff that's working and ready to go and some projects.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35405 on: July 22, 2019, 02:12:07 pm »
As usual, Shahriar has you covered.  :-+

Some of the stuff he repairs is WAY beyond my skill level to barely comprehend. But I watch anyway and this old dog does sometimes learn new tricks.  ;D

Paul Carlson is more my speed.  :-+
Yep, I whole heartily concur with that thought although he does at times get involved with stuff from the higher realms and leaves me way behind him in his wake[emoji102]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35406 on: July 22, 2019, 02:29:02 pm »
A question for TEA members ... if presented with the choice, which would you buy and why?

1. A Fluke 25.
2. A Fluke 77.

(I ran out of DMMs today again. Need one more)

I owned a 77 for a number of years so am familiar with them but not the 25.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35407 on: July 22, 2019, 02:41:54 pm »
I'm biased. Not familiar with the 25 but I am with the 77. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35408 on: July 22, 2019, 02:54:38 pm »
I've had N 25s, and sold N-1 of them at a profit :) With a bit of light repair (fuse, clean the LCD's zebrazone connector etc) the all worked and were in spec.

Basically, they are large, heavy, have a surprisingly good spec, and are squaddie proof. The hollow double-skinned case makes them even larger, and if sending them through the post, the only packaging that would be needed is a polythene bag. (Cardboard? Bubblewrap? Forget it!)

I like them. I prefer them to my Fluke 21.

There are a couple up for auction on the 30th, and Ramco will post them for £25. https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10171/lot-711b27a1-c59d-4b64-a773-aa8f00d8e259

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35409 on: July 22, 2019, 03:11:07 pm »
Interesting. Just what I need :)

I just compared the basic accuracy and spec sheet to the 77 and they are considerably better.

What's the continuity tester like on them for response?

Edit: found a size comparison picture  :o

Could kill an elephant with one of them.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 03:24:15 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: splin

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35410 on: July 22, 2019, 03:42:46 pm »
A question for TEA members ... if presented with the choice, which would you buy and why?

1. A Fluke 25.
2. A Fluke 77.

(I ran out of DMMs today again. Need one more)

I owned a 77 for a number of years so am familiar with them but not the 25.
Ok, then that is a serious no brainer for except that I'd replace the Fluke 25 for Fluke 27 which is the identical meter but with 2 extra buttons , Rel and Min/Max which are well worth paying a few extra £ for.  For what little these old meters cost nowadays and also given as tggzzz said they are squaddie proof and are nearly always dead nuts on the calibration.

Edit.

To answer you latest post the continuity tester is first rate.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 03:44:17 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35411 on: July 22, 2019, 03:51:44 pm »

Touching leads to hearing the sound is a very small fraction of a second.
Ohms setting o/c voltage is 0.8V. Continuity/diode setting o/c voltage is 2.5V, and will light LEDs.

Other than that, the 25/27 manual gives the answers.

I've never needed delta or min/max settings. The only difference is the buttons in the case, so you could get a faulty 27 and swap cases.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35412 on: July 22, 2019, 03:54:06 pm »
Yeah don't need a 27. They seem to fetch a premium for being yellow and having two buttons.

Does the continuity detector always beep even if the contact is extremely short? To test this I usually stuff the DMM on continuity and strike the probe tips together lightly and away again.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35413 on: July 22, 2019, 04:03:37 pm »
Yeah don't need a 27. They seem to fetch a premium for being yellow and having two buttons.

Does the continuity detector always beep even if the contact is extremely short? To test this I usually stuff the DMM on continuity and strike the probe tips together lightly and away again.

Yes or no, depending[1]. Good answer, innit.

[1] probably on duration of contact and/or resistance of contact, but impossible to tell.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #35414 on: July 22, 2019, 04:03:54 pm »
I can't speak directly to either, but have a 77-II that I bought in the 90s, and a 27/FM I snagged a few years ago off the 'bay when the military surplussed a ton of them.  Both are excellent.  The 27/FM normally lives in my toolbox; it is a meter that can also serve as a blunt-force weapon if needed.

Flip a coin - you won't go wrong with either, IMO.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35415 on: July 22, 2019, 04:13:13 pm »
In that case, thanks all. I shall lurk on ebay for a good one. I don't fancy any of the currently listed ones.

Edit: I found a reasonable one for £40. Accepts offers. Put a £35 offer in. Not accepted. Put £37 offer in. Not accepted. On principle the seller can bugger off now :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 04:23:13 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #35416 on: July 22, 2019, 05:31:56 pm »
Snip

tggzzz has become one with the resistance.  ;)

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35417 on: July 22, 2019, 05:36:34 pm »
In general I agree with tggzzz but why not have the min/max, I have had many occasions to use it, not so the REL button though. I have never had any problems when testing circuits using the buzzer, it seems to always work OK for me, no noticeable delay at all and it is not scratchy like so many other meters can be, but then again you wouldn't expect anything less from Fluke world you.

As Dave has very ably demonstrated in many of his videos, the Min/Max is a really useful addition to any DMM, especially if you have suspect power rails, the Min/Max is ideal for extended soak tests. These 2 videos show that in action and also of course why you can never have too many DMM's  :-+ Look at 1:55 in the 2nd video  :popcorn:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 05:39:04 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35418 on: July 22, 2019, 05:46:58 pm »

Ohms setting o/c voltage is 0.8V. Continuity/diode setting o/c voltage is 2.5V, and will light LEDs.

I've never needed delta or min/max settings. The only difference is the buttons in the case, so you could get a faulty 27 and swap cases.

Is it "scan & latch" type, or strictly linear response? The latching continuity was a feature I fell in love with on the 87; you could just drag the probe across the pins of an IC and listen for a short. The 189 has a different implementation; it latches and warbles, I guess to be more noticeable in noisy environments. Still haven't gotten used to it; the crisp, clear pseudo-sine wave of the 87's tone was music to my ears.  :-+

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35419 on: July 22, 2019, 06:16:26 pm »

Is it "scan & latch" type, or strictly linear response? The latching continuity was a feature I fell in love with on the 87; you could just drag the probe across the pins of an IC and listen for a short. The 189 has a different implementation; it latches and warbles, I guess to be more noticeable in noisy environments. Still haven't gotten used to it; the crisp, clear pseudo-sine wave of the 87's tone was music to my ears.  :-+

Certainly not latching, beyond hat difficult to say.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35420 on: July 22, 2019, 06:33:10 pm »

mnem

No, you can't just drag the probe in that fashion, for that sort of feature you need something a little more up to-date. But if you take your time dragging it across the pins then it is certainly upto the task with a pleasing sound. But it has plenty of other features that are way head and shoulders what other meters, even today especially when it comes robustness and build quality.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35421 on: July 22, 2019, 07:12:03 pm »
hey med:

mail just came....THANKS!

glad you liked the fluke counter (even though others think it is fugly).  it is a nice little instrument.  but it lacked nixie-ness and was not a "bill and dave" product.  (and just does not fit into any of my stacks).

shame about the shipping incident with the other counter!

pm on the way with another tracking #.  it will make your measurements easily better than 1 part in 100 million.  would not recommend that you even remove the cover screw over the adjustment pot.....it is already performing at about the limit of its design.  oh, and please note that the power really is minus 12V.  oh, and don't be afraid to let the counter overflow for higher resolution.  long gate times and overflows are sometimes your friend with 8 digit counters.

will apologize in advance if this drives you into parts per billion and beyond.  that path leads to true freq-land.   

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:21:44 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35422 on: July 22, 2019, 07:20:38 pm »
Snip

tggzzz has become one with the resistance.  ;)

mnem

I'm guessing the whole set is something like this one.

791961-0

David
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:26:18 pm by factory »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35423 on: July 22, 2019, 07:24:39 pm »

mnem

No, you can't just drag the probe in that fashion, for that sort of feature you need something a little more up to-date. But if you take your time dragging it across the pins then it is certainly upto the task with a pleasing sound. But it has plenty of other features that are way head and shoulders what other meters, even today especially when it comes robustness and build quality.

Yup; no contest on the price/value argument. There's a reason these meters are still around; they're built like a tank, because they were built to be used in a tank, literally.  :-+

mnem
*giggles at nixiefreqq Paying It Forward*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35424 on: July 22, 2019, 07:33:58 pm »

That is the "scan & latch" continuity function I was asking about. tggzzz and Spec both say no.  :(

I'll admit... I've been spoiled by a few decades with the 87; that really is a "minimum spec" for me anymore. I'd pay twice as much for an 87 to have it; I've actually gotten rid of all my meters that don't, aside from the 3478A and my pile of HFT "LittleRedBoxOfDAMIFINO" units I have in a drawer as giveaway units.  :-\

mnem
*back out into the suck*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf