Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563982 times)

wkb, Pilatus and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #35450 on: July 23, 2019, 11:01:29 am »
150 Euros for a 500MHz probe isn't that bad imho.

https://www.reichelt.de/rf-probe-500-mhz-10-mohm-testec-12070-p217578.html?

Agreed, but I don't have much use for a probe with a 31ohm input impedance (10pF@500MHz), especially when you include the inductance of a ground lead.

At those frequencies I prefer a 500ohm 1pF resistive divider probe. Bonus: you can make those yourself by soldering a 450ohm resistor to the board and 50ohm cable :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #35451 on: July 23, 2019, 11:06:03 am »
I hate plastic shrouds. I do not trust them and imo they wear out really fast.
And when you are in the middle of the guts of a thing somwhere in the outback of nowhere
and find out, that this strange signal behaviour is coming from a bad BNC connection
and you have wasted half an hour of time, then ... well then it is time to go home and
have a cold beer or something.  |O   ::)  :D

Even the probes for my Tek THS720A have metal shrouds and they are the original ones.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35452 on: July 23, 2019, 11:07:16 am »
PM 2423 Manual
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:18:00 am by FransW »
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #35453 on: July 23, 2019, 11:10:38 am »
Agreed, but I don't have much use for a probe with a 31ohm input impedance (10pF@500MHz), especially when you include the inductance of a ground lead.

At those frequencies I prefer a 500ohm 1pF resistive divider probe. Bonus: you can make those yourself by soldering a 450ohm resistor to the board and 50ohm cable :)

Next time I'll consult the datasheet first.  ::)

You are right, 10pf is way too much for a 500MHz probe. No idea what they are smoking at Testec ...
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35454 on: July 23, 2019, 11:24:39 am »

You are right, 10pf is way too much for a 500MHz probe. No idea what they are smoking at Testec ...

Even good passive "high" impedance probes are 6.5pF, and only for scopes with a 6-9pF input!

There are many probes like that Testec, from many manufacturers :( They have some utility when connected to the circuit directly, typically using bent paper clips:

Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35455 on: July 23, 2019, 11:59:10 am »
The trick I use in such circumstances is to think "how can I avoid making that measurement" :)

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #35456 on: July 23, 2019, 12:10:23 pm »

Even good passive "high" impedance probes are 6.5pF, and only for scopes with a 6-9pF input!

There are many probes like that Testec, from many manufacturers :( They have some utility when connected to the circuit directly, typically using bent paper clips:

Ugly stuff :) Why not use a DIY FET probe ? You can have 1pF input capacitance with those.
https://electronicprojectsforfun.wordpress.com/rf-measurement-techniques/high-frequency-probes/

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35457 on: July 23, 2019, 12:38:57 pm »
Not sure why you even want to do that in the 2nd picture with the long green and red wires hanging from the pads.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35458 on: July 23, 2019, 12:46:19 pm »
Lots of action here at my complex. The septic system needed work to install new piping between the septic tank and the leach field. Problem is the leach field is on the other side of the through road owned by the county. Obviously the county isn't going to allow you to block traffic and dig up the road. Solution: A “Ditch Witch” which bores a large diameter hole under objects, such as road. I've never seen one in operation before. It is a cool device. At the same time land lord had the trenching equipment to hook up the electrical in the garage that I rent. Nice to finally have power out there.

The following is a dumb ass test. This is the washing machine in our laundry room. Notice the water hook ups. Given that arrangement what can you NOT get on your wash cycle. If you know the correct answer there's no prize other than you are not a dumb ass. If you don't know the answer don't guess. Because then I'll have to conclude you're a dumb ass. Seems they are every where. And they breed too.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, grbk

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35459 on: July 23, 2019, 01:36:43 pm »
Ugly stuff :) Why not use a DIY FET probe ? You can have 1pF input capacitance with those.
https://electronicprojectsforfun.wordpress.com/rf-measurement-techniques/high-frequency-probes/

I don't disagree! (And I've bookmarked that reference)

The passive probes are pleasantly robust and high voltage, though.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:41:27 pm by tggzzz »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35460 on: July 23, 2019, 02:40:15 pm »
Seems in every family or group you have that “problem child”. For me it's this 465B/DM44. It's the same scope that gave me fits for months with the channel 2 attenuator switch deck. Now it's got 2 other issues. First, every once in a while both traces have a small amount of 120Hz ripple. And also both channels are displaying some high frequency round off.

So today deep dive into the power supply. The voltages are all in spec but here's some ripple measurements on it's cousin 475A. That's the +5V. Spec is 2mV or less. It's right at the limit. The -8V is showing same. Right at the limit. The +15V, +55V reference, and +110V are comfortably under their limit. So it looks like it's time to change the filter capacitors in the supply.

As far as the high frequency issues are concerned going to hold off until the capacitors are changed. And if it still has that issue I have a spare vertical pre-amp board I can change out rather quickly.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 02:41:52 pm by med6753 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35461 on: July 23, 2019, 02:51:37 pm »
This is why I'm done with the infernal things  :-DD

I wish you luck however  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35462 on: July 23, 2019, 03:00:51 pm »

Yea, I hear you. The way I look at it is these guys are getting OLD. And they're gonna have problems. But it keeps me on my toes and there's the satisfaction of getting it fixed.

Case in point...the recent 7904 outage. Truth be told I never thought I'd ever get that one fixed and I had thoughts of throwing it into the parts bin.  :-//

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #35463 on: July 23, 2019, 03:28:19 pm »
Chuckit/Fuckit/Bucket.:-DD

As promised, here's a few pictures of the PM6603's innards.

And it sure isn't a Philips machine. They did not use Philips headed screws. The housing is dominated by a big (and heavy!) silvery box: (SNIP ALL SORTS OF TEA pr0n GOODNESS just for sanity's sake) 

This is much nicer than I'd thought. :-+

Now we know where ELECRAFT got their chassis design inspiration from... Damn; that thing is built like a brick shithouse!   :-+  Jeebus... is that a ferrite core XFMR being used on 50/60 cycle line voltage?

PITA today. I bought some Wittig probes to go with the HM203. Nearly paid as much for the probes as the scope. But the damn BNC holes are slightly recessed on the scope and the probes have plastic shrouds around the BNC. Going to have to trim ~3mm off the end so they will actually go in the scope  :--

If that's the worst that happens to you in a day, it's been a damned fine day my friend.   ;)

Lots of action here at my complex. The septic system needed work to install new piping between the septic tank and the leach field. Problem is the leach field is on the other side of the through road owned by the county. Obviously the county isn't going to allow you to block traffic and dig up the road. Solution: A “Ditch Witch” which bores a large diameter hole under objects, such as road. I've never seen one in operation before. It is a cool device. At the same time land lord had the trenching equipment to hook up the electrical in the garage that I rent. Nice to finally have power out there.

The following is a dumb ass test. This is the washing machine in our laundry room. Notice the water hook ups. Given that arrangement what can you NOT get on your wash cycle. If you know the correct answer there's no prize other than you are not a dumb ass. If you don't know the answer don't guess. Because then I'll have to conclude you're a dumb ass. Seems they are every where. And they breed too.

Not so dumb as you think. The hot water is obviously borked, note missing handle and shaft. This means it's turned off at the other end. Now if you left that connected, anytime somebody set the washer to a "WARM" cycle, it would backflow and spray all over hell & creation through the hole where the valve shaft on the hot water bibb used to be.

This at least gets the washer functional until you can get somebody out with the crimpers to repair that fucking demonic PEXX piping.

Fuckitol.... I guess those years spent working in the Ding & Dent Appliance warehouse DID teach me a thing or two of value...  >:D

When people in the biz say "A Ditch Witch" they usually mean a trencher like the ones above. The same company has also pioneered  directional drills and hydro-tunneling systems seen below. Which did they use on your site?

mnem

mnem
moo.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 03:56:17 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35464 on: July 23, 2019, 03:48:26 pm »

Yea, I hear you. The way I look at it is these guys are getting OLD. And they're gonna have problems. But it keeps me on my toes and there's the satisfaction of getting it fixed.

Case in point...the recent 7904 outage. Truth be told I never thought I'd ever get that one fixed and I had thoughts of throwing it into the parts bin.  :-//

Very true. On a positive note I have a crap load of tek parts to sell now from my failures :)

PITA today. I bought some Wittig probes to go with the HM203. Nearly paid as much for the probes as the scope. But the damn BNC holes are slightly recessed on the scope and the probes have plastic shrouds around the BNC. Going to have to trim ~3mm off the end so they will actually go in the scope  :--

If that's the worst that happens to you in a day, it's been a damned fine day my friend.   ;)

That’s ok top of the 33oC here today (91.4oF) and the 38oC (100.4oF) tomorrow. Highest recorded temp here ever was 38.5oC  :phew:

Tends to reduce the average age of the population this weather  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35465 on: July 23, 2019, 03:52:50 pm »

Not so dumb as you think. The hot water is obviously borked, note missing handle and shaft. This means it's turned off at the other end. Now if you left that connected, anytime somebody set the washer to a "WARM" cycle, it would backflow and spray all over through the hole where the valve shaft on the hot water bibb used to be.

This at least gets the washer functional until you can get somebody out with the crimpers to repair that fucking demonic PEXX piping.

Fuckitol.... I guess those years spent working in the Ding & Dent Appliance warehouse DID teach me a thing or two of value...  >:D

mnem
moo.

No, it's NOT borked. It was done intentionally. About 5 years ago when fuel oil prices spiked in order to save fuel and keep the price of using the washing machine in check the land lord disconnected the hot water. So the machine is cold water only. But he never told anyone that he did that I guess because he assumed that people would see very clearly that it's cold only. Now you know what happens when you assume. Obviously I saw it immediately and made adjustments to do my laundry in cold water. Not so the other dumb asses who live here. Do you know how many times I go to use the machine and it's set to warm or hot?  :palm: More than I can count.  :horse:   

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35466 on: July 23, 2019, 03:57:36 pm »

That’s ok top of the 33oC here today (91.4oF) and the 38oC (100.4oF) tomorrow. Highest recorded temp here ever was 38.5oC  :phew:

Tends to reduce the average age of the population this weather  :-DD

The highest temp that was recorded here was 104 F (40 C) I think in 1933.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35467 on: July 23, 2019, 04:00:36 pm »
They used this ditch witch.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35468 on: July 23, 2019, 04:05:57 pm »
Not so dumb as you think. The hot water is obviously borked, note missing handle and shaft. This means it's turned off at the other end. Now if you left that connected, anytime somebody set the washer to a "WARM" cycle, it would backflow and spray all over through the hole where the valve shaft on the hot water bibb used to be.

mnem
moo.

No, it's NOT borked. It was done intentionally. About 5 years ago when fuel oil prices spiked in order to save fuel and keep the price of using the washing machine in check the land lord disconnected the hot water. So the machine is cold water only. But he never told anyone that he did that I guess because he assumed that people would see very clearly that it's cold only. Now you know what happens when you assume. Obviously I saw it immediately and made adjustments to do my laundry in cold water. Not so the other dumb asses who live here. Do you know how many times I go to use the machine and it's set to warm or hot?  :palm: More than I can count.  :horse:   

Or maybe, like most landlords, he's too busy/lazy/cheap to fix it or pay the guy who has the tools to fix that fucking demonic PEXX piping. I know from experience it is usually the hot water that springs a leak on that shit. I always look for the "lazy" excuse as the likeliest.

mnem
I fought the lawn and the lawn... LOST! HAH!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35469 on: July 23, 2019, 04:08:50 pm »

mnem
moo.

Or maybe, like most landlords, he's too busy/lazy/cheap to fix it or pay the guy who has the tools to fix that fucking demonic PEXX piping. I know from experience it is usually the hot water that springs a leak on that shit. I always look for the "lazy" excuse as the likeliest.

mnem
I fought the lawn and the lawn... LOST! HAH!

It doesn't leak, He's not lazy, and his Father is a plumber.  And yes...PEXX is the devil if not installed properly...or even if done properly.  :palm:

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35470 on: July 23, 2019, 04:15:07 pm »

Neat. Those things pack a lot of ergs into a small machine. You get close enough to its transit and you can feel the damn thing grinding away in the pit of your stomach.  :o

mnem
*grrrrrrrrr...*

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35471 on: July 23, 2019, 04:22:13 pm »
It doesn't leak, He's not lazy, and his Father is a plumber.  And yes...PEXX is the devil if not installed properly...or even if done properly.  :palm:

LOL...Well then, he knows enough to make it LOOK like the hot water was recently borked and it's "just a temporary fix until he can get around to doing it right."

That, my friend, is the landlord's stock in trade. 
:-DD

mnem
"Wilbur, you ever fixed one of these German 5-speeds?"
I watched a guy fix a Jap-a-NEEZE trans-mish-ee-on once..."
"Close enough... SHE'ZZ YOURZZZ!!!"

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35472 on: July 23, 2019, 04:24:36 pm »

Neat. Those things pack a lot of ergs into a small machine. You get close enough to its transit and you can feel the damn thing grinding away in the pit of your stomach.  :o

mnem
*grrrrrrrrr...*

Yep, you could feel the ground vibrating as it was drilling.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35473 on: July 23, 2019, 05:12:42 pm »
PM 2423 Manual

Thanks, even if I don't have that DMM. It may be of Japanese origin, but the schematics are absolutely genuine Philips! Did they redraw them?

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35474 on: July 23, 2019, 05:23:31 pm »
Chuckit/Fuckit/Bucket.:-DD

As promised, here's a few pictures of the PM6603's innards.

And it sure isn't a Philips machine. They did not use Philips headed screws. The housing is dominated by a big (and heavy!) silvery box: (SNIP ALL SORTS OF TEA pr0n GOODNESS just for sanity's sake) 

This is much nicer than I'd thought. :-+

Now we know where ELECRAFT got their chassis design inspiration from... Damn; that thing is built like a brick shithouse!   :-+  Jeebus... is that a ferrite core XFMR being used on 50/60 cycle line voltage?

It's a 'tape wound core' (had to look that up) transformer. I'm really happy with that acquisition, even if it has only 5 digits. It has a certain right feeling to it.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf