Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14809435 times)

Vince and 135 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #35575 on: July 25, 2019, 08:07:52 am »
I spent the vast majority of my adult life pleasing other people (read: women). Never again. This is MY time.  :-+ ;D

Well said  :-+

Talking of which. I spent most of last night pleasing mosquitoes. Bastard things  :--

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #35576 on: July 25, 2019, 08:52:07 am »
Talking of which. I spent most of last night pleasing mosquitoes. Bastard things  :--

You need something like this:

Mosquito meets laser.  >:D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: tautech, med6753, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35577 on: July 25, 2019, 09:10:06 am »
I spent the vast majority of my adult life pleasing other people (read: women). Never again. This is MY time.  :-+ ;D

Screens on windows do wonders for keeping mosquitoes outside. Don't they have them in the UK?  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35578 on: July 25, 2019, 09:16:33 am »
Here I am up already and got stuff powered up ready to be time nut calibrated.  :o

I left the PCOXO powered up all night so it's nice and stable. Just calibrated the first victim. The VC2000. Will let it sit for a while then on to the next victim.

You guys KNEW I would go down this rabbit hole, didn't you?  :-DD   

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #35579 on: July 25, 2019, 09:33:40 am »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #35580 on: July 25, 2019, 09:37:01 am »
Here I am up already and got stuff powered up ready to be time nut calibrated.  :o

I left the PCOXO powered up all night so it's nice and stable. Just calibrated the first victim. The VC2000. Will let it sit for a while then on to the next victim.

Please greet the rabbit from me when you meet him.   ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35581 on: July 25, 2019, 09:40:39 am »
Screens on windows do wonders for keeping mosquitoes outside. Don't they have them in the UK?  :-DD

Yeah I have actually got them but not on all windows.

You need something like this:

Mosquito meets laser.  >:D

Sold!  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #35582 on: July 25, 2019, 10:26:43 am »

Not normally, but there may be in some places I haven't seen.

When my mother arrived in Pittsburg in the late 50s, she wondered why screens were there, and left it open. She closed it the next day.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #35583 on: July 25, 2019, 10:46:55 am »
Yeah I have actually got them but not on all windows.

Sold!  :-DD
That's like using a condom with just a few holes.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35584 on: July 25, 2019, 10:48:26 am »
Well not really. The other windows are mostly shut. Apart from when one certain teenager forgets to shut it and turns the light on  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35585 on: July 25, 2019, 11:00:09 am »
Luckily she's not interested in living together as I am not interested. We both strongly agree on that.

Hmm, one thing I have learned is that women very very seldom actually mean what they say, generally meaning the reverse of what they say is their true meaning  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35586 on: July 25, 2019, 11:21:21 am »

naaaaaaaaw.  down the rabbit hole is when you stay up all night with your hand on the outer shell to make sure it is staying up to temperature while you log data on the damn thing. 

no doubt you will adjust your other oscillators, stop worrying, and be happy.

unless you make the mistake of using one of your analog scopes in xy mode to make lissajous figure comparisons between your oscillators.  don't do it man!  that can lead to the hard stuff!

free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35587 on: July 25, 2019, 12:10:12 pm »

That's the river Thames effect for you, I know its hard but in this heat and with those pests, keep the windows shut, fans on full and have a fully charged and armed electronic bug blasting bat handy, thats what I do.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35588 on: July 25, 2019, 12:30:12 pm »
So......VC2000, 1900A, 1912A, 7260A all calibrated with no issues. Left to do is the 2465DMS which is much more complex as shown in the attached link. But now that I have a more accurate reference I should be able to get closer than the current offset of 25Hz. The IG-4244 does drift somewhat from 1MHz so you have to monitor it just before applying the calibration constant.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope-teardown/msg1937605/#msg1937605

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35589 on: July 25, 2019, 02:15:04 pm »
I have quite a number of Philips manuals. Well over 400: GM, PE, PM.

Most service manuals.

Feel free to ask.

Frans

I guess everybody in this thread is interested to have user's and (especially) service manuals (in whatever form) of the gear he or she owns. Most definitely I am.

And I have several Philips thingies without them.
Most recent:

PM6603
PM5105  (I found one for PM5106/PM5107, but they have a different output stage on a daughter board)
PM6620
PM6669

and

PM2454  (The one I have is for a different device!?)

For these scopes I have only a user's manual:

PM3265
PM3266

Do you have any of them?

Edit: Of course I meant to thank you for your offer!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 02:22:20 pm by Ero-Shan »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35590 on: July 25, 2019, 02:29:00 pm »

naaaaaaaaw.  down the rabbit hole is when you stay up all night with your hand on the outer shell to make sure it is staying up to temperature while you log data on the damn thing. 

no doubt you will adjust your other oscillators, stop worrying, and be happy.

unless you make the mistake of using one of your analog scopes in xy mode to make lissajous figure comparisons between your oscillators.  don't do it man!  that can lead to the hard stuff!

That's how I calibrated my OCXO against the GPSDO. Addictive it is indeed.

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #35591 on: July 25, 2019, 02:54:53 pm »
So......VC2000, 1900A, 1912A, 7260A all calibrated with no issues. Left to do is the 2465DMS which is much more complex as shown in the attached link. But now that I have a more accurate reference I should be able to get closer than the current offset of 25Hz. The IG-4244 does drift somewhat from 1MHz so you have to monitor it just before applying the calibration constant.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope-teardown/msg1937605/#msg1937605
I'm NOT saying that I want to calibrate my newly-acquired frequency counter, or that I'll become a time nut....BUT... if I wanted to do that, would this GPSDO be good enough for that purpose? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32947070594.html

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35592 on: July 25, 2019, 03:14:43 pm »

I'm NOT saying that I want to calibrate my newly-acquired frequency counter, or that I'll become a time nut....BUT... if I wanted to do that, would this GPSDO be good enough for that purpose? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32947070594.html

Welcome to this rathole :)

You would get a more solid answer if you asked the question in the metrology forum  >:D

I'd search there for the specific device, also for "Allen deviation" and "21ns glitch".

Summary: only you can define "good enough for your purposes.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:19:04 pm by tggzzz »
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #35593 on: July 25, 2019, 03:38:05 pm »

You would get a more solid answer if you asked the question in the metrology forum  >:D

I'd search there for the specific device, also for "Allen deviation" and "21ns glitch".

Summary: only you can define "good enoughE for your purposes.

I actually searched the forums and the BG7TBL seems to be a popular GPSDO module...but there are several versions and revisions identified by the date, and the ONE almost encyclopedic thread that discussed this module currently does not have information about any of the 2018 revisions (which this one seems to be).

I guess my question was more oriented towards a general usefulness assessment from the time-obsessed crowd.  Is the accuracy of this kind of unit good for calibrating a (200Mhz, 7 digits) frequency counter? Do I need something more precise than this? Is it an overkill?  (The listing says that it's 100 times better than an OCXO, and boy you better believe that, because it's mentioned twice within the same paragraph). Should I invest more (or less) in another type of reference?

.... I mean... assuming I were interested in time accuracy, which I'm OBVIOUSLY not  ;D

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #35594 on: July 25, 2019, 03:40:39 pm »
OK. I'll be away for work for the next day or so. But...I'll be back!

(Why do I feel like we've just gone head first down a massive rabbit hole? :-DD)

No doubt.  :palm:  :-DD

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #35595 on: July 25, 2019, 03:44:00 pm »
A crossover is a station wagon with way less room than a real station wagon. My grandfather drove a Caprice Classic wagon. That thing was likely one of the last American land yachts. It was HUGE!

When I married my ex-wife and her 2 kids, she had a 1974 LTD Country Squire station wagon in red You could see it a mile away and had its own zip code.  I hated changing in the snow tires, they weighted a fuckton.  We had the version that had the hidden storage instead of the fold-away 3rd seat.  400 CID engine, little 2 bbl carb but it could cruise at speed no worries.  Then we downsized to a 1985 Chevy Celebrity wagon.  I still like station wagons-they say it loud and proud.  Not like crossovers that whisper that they want to be station wagons when they grow up.  SUVs with unibody construction instead of body on frame are crossovers, only bigger IMHO.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #35596 on: July 25, 2019, 04:29:00 pm »

Yup... Unibody. Mom's was green, though. ;)

The latter is a careless generalization; full-size cargo vans like the E350 and C3500 have globally been unibody since the 70s (and older even: my 64 Falcon van... about the size of a minivan nowadays... was also unibody) even in the 3/4 and 1-ton sizes. Nothing wrong with unibody in and of itself; it's when you cut corners to shave weight that hull integrity becomes a question.

mnem
4WD Cargo VAN FTW (Fuck The WORLD) !!!  :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35597 on: July 25, 2019, 04:45:28 pm »

Summary: only you can define "good enoughE for your purposes.

I actually searched the forums and the BG7TBL seems to be a popular GPSDO module...but there are several versions and revisions identified by the date, and the ONE almost encyclopedic thread that discussed this module currently does not have information about any of the 2018 revisions (which this one seems to be).

I guess my question was more oriented towards a general usefulness assessment from the time-obsessed crowd.  Is the accuracy of this kind of unit good for calibrating a (200Mhz, 7 digits) frequency counter? Do I need something more precise than this? Is it an overkill?  (The listing says that it's 100 times better than an OCXO, and boy you better believe that, because it's mentioned twice within the same paragraph). Should I invest more (or less) in another type of reference?

.... I mean... assuming I were interested in time accuracy, which I'm OBVIOUSLY not  ;D

Looks like my addition of "Welcome to this rathole" may have crossed in the æther, so I'll mention it again :)

I am far from an expert on such matters, but the timescale over which you measure the frequency/time is important.

In this case GPS is far more accurate at long timescales (less drift, more jitter due to atmospherics and clocks), but crystals, rubidium and caesium are better at short timescales (less phase noise / jitter, but more drift).

That is captured in the Allen deviations of various sources.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35598 on: July 25, 2019, 04:46:29 pm »
What is this? Throw back Thursday? Speaking of old station wagons. And GreyWoolfe mentioned Chevy Celebrity Station Wagon. Well, here was mine. 1986 "Eurosport" option although it was no where near a European inspired vehicle. 2.8 V-6 with a new feature called "Port Fuel Injection". Of course automatic transmission which true to GM form shit the bed at about 80K miles and cost a fortune to fix. The one nice thing it had with the Eurosport option was a free flow exhaust so the V-6 had a nice bark to it.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35599 on: July 25, 2019, 05:00:14 pm »
What the heck.....one more. I consider this my last "fast car". 1993 Chevy Cavalier Z24. Don't laugh mnem....it really would scoot. Why? Well, most Chevy Cavaliers were 4 banger/automatic slow pokes. Not the Z24 option. 3.1 liter V-6 with a Getrag 5 speed stick. Chirp the Goodyear Eagles in 1st and 2nd gear with almost no effort. That car surprised a lot of people....especially the ricer boys with their Civics and Accords.  >:D :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf