Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550008 times)

Vince and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #36050 on: August 01, 2019, 11:56:45 pm »
LMAO I am tempted at the moment  :-DD

Enjoyment = Zero so far. Just disappointment. Decided “no more bloody heathkits” lol

Postage to US is $22  :-DD

I'm serious...I'll send you $30 for your troubles. Think about it.  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36051 on: August 01, 2019, 11:58:50 pm »
I’ll sleep on it and let you know when I’ve had my morning coffee  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36052 on: August 02, 2019, 12:02:07 am »
I’ll sleep on it and let you know when I’ve had my morning coffee  :-+

OK, fair enough. Let me know in the AM.  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #36053 on: August 02, 2019, 12:06:39 am »

$25 on slAmazon

Glue a giant "Edison" blub on it and sell it on Etsy for $600.    :-DD

mnem
>:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36054 on: August 02, 2019, 12:09:30 am »

$25 on slAmazon

Glue a giant "Edison" blub on it and sell it on Etsy for $600.    :-DD

mnem
>:D

It will probably work better than your fubar MB.   :P :P :P :P :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #36055 on: August 02, 2019, 12:14:08 am »
It's a braver man than I who would go taunting an annoyed dwagon.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36056 on: August 02, 2019, 12:25:59 am »
@med: No shit.   :-DD

I've been looking all over.... and unless I want to wait til middle of next week and take a chance that NewEgg is gonna molest me AGAIN with a replacement, I either have to take a severe downgrade in quality or a severe upgrade in price and features I really wasn't keen on the first time around.

I could order a different MB FROM NewdEgg... paying $70 more for better connectivity (Intel Wi-Fi 6 802.11 ax & BT 5 , 2.5GBe, USB-C, 16-phase VRM instead of 12-phase, and heatsinks for BOTH SSDs)... or I COULD pay $92 more and a 1.5 hour trip  for the privilege of having that same upgrade board in my hot little hands tonight.   :scared:

I'd really rather put that money towards a Sabrent Rocket nvme4.0 drive before the word gets out, though. 4500/5500 MBps in the 1TB size for $199.

mnem
I'm seriously considering that other MB from NewEgg though, dammit. |O
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 12:29:32 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #36057 on: August 02, 2019, 01:04:38 am »
Dammitt NewEgg... while looking over the MB for any visible faults I discover that it is not a new MB, but a repackaged customer return (or maybe some reviewer's preview board reinjected back into the stream); it never had the socket cover and the SSD heatsink has imprints on it from someone else's build, and I can see thermal paste residue on the CPU socket, where my build has only ever had the stock cooler on it with its printed-on compound. Looking back over everything, I notice that neither the box or baggie inside was actually sealed; and that the barcode label has been ripped off and a generic one from a portable labeler slapped on the box.

Duck me... it's going back and I'm gonna buy from someone else.

mnem
Suck a duck, Murphy.

Neither of my two recent Gigabyte MB's have come with covers over the CPU Zif's, mainly I suspect not needed due to being female unlike Intel. The rest sounds like certainly an open box  :-// :--

edit Just checked the Anti Static baggies on mine and just tape was used to seal no heatseal.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 01:06:22 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #36058 on: August 02, 2019, 01:18:00 am »
Just when you think the TEA is going to slow down....I have a major property auction coming up as well as a big regional hamfest next month.  :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36059 on: August 02, 2019, 02:02:29 am »

...aaand it looks like my replacement RAM isn't coming today either. It's been "Out for Delivery" for over 3 hours, but location hasn't moved a smidge. :palm:

mnem
*Dwagon who was felled by the Death of 1,000 Cuts*

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #36060 on: August 02, 2019, 03:27:28 am »
I couldn't resist... I bought the hundred buck 485 on ebay and it arrived today.

Cool. Glad it was someone here who got it so we could find out the real story behind its otherwise pristine appearance.

Since I missed that item, I ended up getting a Micsig DP10013. At least it's scope-related. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #36061 on: August 02, 2019, 03:29:17 am »
Largest pièce of equipment I own right now. TEA worthy indeed!

Ah, in the other thread I asked what this Keithley beast was. First time I've seen one, but there's no mistaking the "brown era" enclosure design. Some kind of switching matrix for T&M automation?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36062 on: August 02, 2019, 06:16:45 am »
801087-0

THE BITCH LIVES.

While researching possible compatibility issues with my particular combination of CPU/RAM/MB (Even though my exact RAM is listed on the MB's QVL), I was led back to the MB support page where I discovered a new BIOS released JUST YESTERDAY. In desperation, I Q-FLASHED it again... and it booted to BIOS. The aggravating part is it still refuses to boot with XMP enabled; so RAM just operates at slowest JEDEC speed of 2667.  |O I suspect the main difference is just that prior BIOS versions defaulted to XMP ENABLED, while this version doesn't.  :palm:

I think I'm going to accept this small victory and go to bed.

mnem
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 06:32:44 am by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36063 on: August 02, 2019, 06:24:51 am »
Well I've got a bundle of hell on my hands with this Heathkit VTVM. The original "builder" (fuckerizer) did a poor job of this one. Some highlights:

Got my new 12AU7 delivered by hand  :-+

So out goes the CHunts capacitor...

Then I smell a turd, so I've stripped the board out of it for repair / rekitting ...

Ugh look at that wonky ass soldering and also the wax spooge over everything. Yeah thanks for that whoever decided to try and seal the damn pot with it ffs.

And what do I find underneath. Yes the numpty didn't even trim the effing leads on the cap and look at that awful shit soldering :--

So this one is being rekitted properly  :=\
Wow, good job the board is mounted high of the chassis, even got the caps mounted at odd angles. I've never seen one built badly before so maybe I've been lucky and had factory assembled ones. Biggest issue for me has been meter movements O/C.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36064 on: August 02, 2019, 06:30:58 am »
Well that was a productive evening. I think. EVERY damn resistor in that VTVM other than the trimmers and the 22M ones had drifted way out of spec. Also the caps in it were cracked and looking iffy so I have pulled and chucked them :--

Also whoever soldered the light bulb holder on the board lifted both of the pads off and it was danging. I have removed ALL of the resistors and stuffed with ones I have in stock. Need to order some more. Have used 0.8mm thick CIF single-sided FR4 to make two new pads for the light bulb holder "manhattan style" and eviscerated all the wax gunk over everything. So off to RS ... project shelved for a few days now.

Edit: Here's what remains of the board at this time :palm:

Where the precision range resistors on the switches OK?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #36065 on: August 02, 2019, 06:36:28 am »
(Attachment Link)

THE BITCH LIVES.

While researching possible compatibility issues with my particular combination of CPU/RAM/MB (Even though my exact RAM is listed on the MB's QVL), I was led back to the MB support page where I discovered a new BIOS released JUST YESTERDAY. In desperation, I Q-FLASHED it again... and it booted to BIOS. The aggravating part is it still refuses to boot with XMP enabled; so RAM just operates at slowest JEDEC speed of 2667.  |O I suspect the main difference is just that prior BIOS versions defaulted to XMP ENABLED, while this version doesn't.  :palm:

mnem

I was getting similar issues with mine and it tended roll back to the previous Bios version until I got the most recent version sorted and sticking. Stick at it you are 'winning'  :-DD

Its just a jump to the left....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36066 on: August 02, 2019, 07:50:43 am »
(Attachment Link)

THE BITCH LIVES.

mnem
That's why I never like to be an early adopter on anything new, far better to wait a while and let other poor saps do the bug hunting / reporting because manufacturers these days never do sufficient testing prior to launching a new product.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36067 on: August 02, 2019, 08:08:37 am »

I thought so initially but after testing them, the 9.1 ohm one is burned (this is relatively normal) and some of the divider contacts are pretty bad.

@med: I'm going to persist with this one and see how far I get. I'll let you know if I give up again  :-DD ... I'm not sure you want this one though as the transformer is 240V only. The UK model is slightly different to the US one as well. Also it's a rust bucket inside. Has been kept in a damp shed by the looks.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 08:12:18 am by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36068 on: August 02, 2019, 08:40:12 am »

I thought so initially but after testing them, the 9.1 ohm one is burned (this is relatively normal) and some of the divider contacts are pretty bad.

@med: I'm going to persist with this one and see how far I get. I'll let you know if I give up again  :-DD ... I'm not sure you want this one though as the transformer is 240V only. The UK model is slightly different to the US one as well. Also it's a rust bucket inside. Has been kept in a damp shed by the looks.

No problem...but if you change your mind I'll take it off your hands. All I want it for is the meter movement so the differences between UK and US versions don't matter.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36069 on: August 02, 2019, 09:00:53 am »
Gotcha makes sense. I may strip it for parts to sell TBH. I'm looking at it again today and I don't fancy it.  :-DD

Meter movement is yours if I do that. It will cost a lot less to send if that's the only bit you need.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36070 on: August 02, 2019, 09:18:14 am »
I was wondering just why med wanted it, surely as Heathkit is an American company these must be cheap as cheap as chips over there surely? There is about 8 on Ebay USA right now although some of them are looking for stupid money IMO.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36071 on: August 02, 2019, 09:28:59 am »
Gotcha makes sense. I may strip it for parts to sell TBH. I'm looking at it again today and I don't fancy it.  :-DD

Meter movement is yours if I do that. It will cost a lot less to send if that's the only bit you need.

The meter itself and the case handle...because I stole it for the S-3 Electronic Switch.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36072 on: August 02, 2019, 09:30:04 am »
I was wondering just why med wanted it, surely as Heathkit is an American company these must be cheap as cheap as chips over there surely? There is about 8 on Ebay USA right now although some of them are looking for stupid money IMO.

I have a complete V-7A that Kosmic sent me and it's in good shape except the meter movement bearing assembly is damaged.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36073 on: August 02, 2019, 09:36:25 am »
Unfortunately got a promise on the case handle already from someone local  :--

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #36074 on: August 02, 2019, 10:10:30 am »
Hei bd,

since you are having so much fun with your Heathkit VTVM
I thought, I'll show you some photos of one of my four (don't ask   ::) ) VTVM.   ;D

They are from Rohde & Schwarz, mostly made for the German Post
back in the 60's and 70's. They are called URU BN 1080 and are
heavy and sturdy as hell. The case is made of 1mm steel.

The vacuum tube used in them is a E80CC (double triode)
and I have four NOS of them here. I'd bought them just before
the prices were going insane, bloody audiophooles.  |O  :palm:

I do have the original service manual as well,
see some pictures below. They were going through the effort
and did a schematic of every single operation mode.  :-+
I have added as an example the schematic for the "V-" operation mode.

So, let's start:

Front view:

detailed view of the front:

view from the top right to the vacuum tube:

nasty Selenium rectifier:

back side with the power transistor for the linear PSU, Germanium made:

detail view to the PSU on the other side:

left side overview:

left side, range selector switch:

bottom view with some nice resistors, e.g. the 89 MOhm one:

And here is the manual, front page (isn't it nice? These silver letters ...):  :-+

full schematic. I've uploaded the full resolution,
so it could take a little longer to download it. Same goes for the
other pictures of the schematic. These schematics were huge!  :o

schematic example, operation mode "V-", left part:

schematic example, operation mode "V-", middle part:

schematic example, operation mode "V-", right part:

some specs. This thing weighs 9kg!  :o
And you can overload every range by a factor of 100 with a max voltage up to 3000V
As bd139 said: "the tube goes only "meh" and carry on then."  :-DD

Enjoy!

Mounty

Edit: fixed stupidness caused by distraction  :palm:

Edit2: added some specs.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 12:33:58 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: edavid, bitseeker, med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf