Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14890075 times)

james_a_craig, ddrl46 and 127 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #36100 on: August 02, 2019, 03:32:45 pm »
Yeah it's fubared. Returning it.  Gonna pull the images of it until that's sorted.

Well that sucks!  :--
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36101 on: August 02, 2019, 03:35:05 pm »
Yeah. Totally. Gorilla.

On a positive note your lab / workshop is motivatingly good

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36102 on: August 02, 2019, 03:41:54 pm »
Not all roses. The vertical channel A fine is locked to the main attenuator. Looks like there was a botched repair done. Someone has properly fucked it.
When you say locked, do you mean that the fine control can't be used without the main control also turning? If so it probbibly has had a clout on the knob, bending the shaft. Been there with my 4 tracer and it sucks, but it might be usable if you hold the main and rotate the fine?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36103 on: August 02, 2019, 03:49:34 pm »
That was probably what happened initially. Basically the friction between the fine control and the main attenuator means the fine control turns when the attenuator control turns. It is not adjustable as I popped the knob cap off expecting to see the usual nut to undo but what I found was a glued in DIY plastic collet on the main shaft meaning the knob is on there forever. On channel A, the knob cap wont even come off because it's glued on.  :--

Seller has suggested he refunds the repair cost but without another scope with known good attenuators I think that's impossible.

Edit: happy ending. Seller has refunded the entire amount and said keep it. I am impressed. Apparently it was bought and stored and not tested so fair game it was handled quickly and professionally. I'll store it for now and keep an eye out for another one.

Edit 2: ok have cut one of the knobs off. They are indeed glued on and the glue seeped into the shaft on the A chan.  :scared:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 04:38:03 pm by bd139 »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36104 on: August 02, 2019, 04:41:53 pm »
happy ending. Seller has refunded the entire amount and said keep it. I am impressed. Apparently it was bought and stored and not tested so fair game it was handled quickly and professionally. I'll store it for now and keep an eye out for another one.

Happy ending  :-+

Happened to me twice on ebay. Got a Prema 5017 for free like that. Just needed couples of new Caps  ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #36105 on: August 02, 2019, 04:46:49 pm »
@BU508A: thanks for posting that. Beautiful piece of equipment! I should probably look out for a commercial VTVM here instead. They are usually built by more competent people  :-DD . Marconi did some really nice ones that turn up here occasionally. Also they're weird because the meter is upside down.

Agreed! I was thinking the build quality on that unit looks more like medical or mil-spec hardware. VERY well thought out. I also like the fact it has the AC cord exiting the front; this is a feature usually found on gear intended to be used while kept inside an accessory storage case, or for small workbenches where test equipment is kept in a locker (Naval comms, etc) and only brought to the bench during actual use.

A delightfully well-preserved specimen... no idea WHY a postal service would need such hardened and high-quality gear though...  :wtf:?!?

Mayhaps something to do with the fact that back in the day, ex-military often wound up working at the Post Office due to the bureaucratic and regimented nature of the work. Gotta keep it all ship-shape!!!

Oh fudge... I just realized. I've inadvertently given you a new quest... to find the storage cases doubtlessly made for these meters.  :palm:

Thank you for sharing, Mounty!

mnem
Carry on!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 05:47:46 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36106 on: August 02, 2019, 05:20:51 pm »
(Attachment Link)    THE BITCH LIVES.
 |O   While researching possible compatibility issues with my particular combination of CPU/RAM/MB (Even though my exact RAM is listed on the MB's QVL), I was led back to the MB support page where I discovered a new BIOS released JUST YESTERDAY. In desperation, I Q-FLASHED it again... and it booted to BIOS. The aggravating part is it still refuses to boot with XMP enabled; so RAM just operates at slowest JEDEC speed of 2667.  |O I suspect the main difference is just that prior BIOS versions defaulted to XMP ENABLED, while this version doesn't.  :palm:

I think I'm going to accept this small victory and go to bed.

mnem
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

So... after researching the issue, it appears the main problem (aside from dumb fuckups in the BIOS like leaving XMP turned on) is that to get the advertised speeds with RYZEN 3xxxX processors, you have to do some matched OCing of the CPU along with the "MFR-Supported" OCing of the RAM provided by the RAM's XMP profile. Problem is, those XMP profiles are a Intel thing, and these processors are so new, they haven't got the equivalent XMP profiling done yet for AMD CPUs so the memory timing will sync.  :palm:

So, in short... my RAM is new enough and high-performance enough that the 3700X can't keep up stock out of the box; I have to manually OC it to match the RAM. Which is really hard to do when the effing thing won't even POST because they left XMP on as a default. |O

Moving forward...

After having a chance to sleep on it... and knowing how I tend to obsess (*looks at self indignantly* "MOI?!?") over things... I've realized that even though I have the problem licked (I KNEW it was something STUPID) with this MB, after doing the "deep dive" into the differences between the Aorus Elite and the Aorus Pro I still feel like I'm "settling" with the Aorus Elite MB.   :palm:

I'm going to go get the Pro just so it will stop niggling at me.   |O

mnem

"Get in the car son; Time for a ROAD TRIP!!!" 8)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 06:02:50 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36107 on: August 02, 2019, 05:28:26 pm »
That was probably what happened initially. Basically the friction between the fine control and the main attenuator means the fine control turns when the attenuator control turns. It is not adjustable as I popped the knob cap off expecting to see the usual nut to undo but what I found was a glued in DIY plastic collet on the main shaft meaning the knob is on there forever. On channel A, the knob cap wont even come off because it's glued on.  :--

Seller has suggested he refunds the repair cost but without another scope with known good attenuators I think that's impossible.

Edit: happy ending. Seller has refunded the entire amount and said keep it. I am impressed. Apparently it was bought and stored and not tested so fair game it was handled quickly and professionally. I'll store it for now and keep an eye out for another one.

Edit 2: ok have cut one of the knobs off. They are indeed glued on and the glue seeped into the shaft on the A chan.  :scared:
All is well that ends well, find another and you have a parts mule already. They do sadly tend to come along infrequently though but as long you can patient I'm certain you'll have a scope to be proud of at the end. [emoji4]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36108 on: August 02, 2019, 05:30:03 pm »
@med, your work area looks stunning on my phone, I can't wait to see it on my 24inch monitor later, well done sir.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36109 on: August 02, 2019, 05:40:41 pm »
With the latest shelf addition here is an update of the entire man cave....or what I call "The SWMBO Interference Free Zone"  :-DD

Looking good !

Got 3 benchs myself and for some reason they are always full when i'm working on something. Got to discipline myself to clean everything at the end of a project. Maybe I should build another one  :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36110 on: August 02, 2019, 06:08:50 pm »
With the latest shelf addition here is an update of the entire man cave....or what I call "The SWMBO Interference Free Zone"  :-DD

Looking good !

Got 3 benchs myself and for some reason they are always full when i'm working on something. Got to discipline myself to clean everything at the end of a project. Maybe I should build another one  :)

At the moment I'm in between projects and I haven't made up my mind as to what project is next. Also, since it is my living room I do tend to want to keep it somewhat neat and tidy.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #36111 on: August 02, 2019, 06:32:51 pm »
Agreed! I was thinking the build quality on that unit looks more like medical or mil-spec hardware. VERY well thought out. I also like the fact it has the AC cord exiting the front; this is a feature usually found on gear intended to be used while kept inside an accessory storage case, or for small workbenches where test equipment is kept in a locker (Naval comms, etc) and only brought to the bench during actual use.

A delightfully well-preserved specimen... no idea WHY a postal service would need such hardened and high-quality gear though...  :wtf:?!?

Thank you mnem for your kind words.  :)

The thing with the German Post is: back in the 70's they were also a phone company,
today known as the magenta coloured German Telekom. That's why you can find on top
of the meter this logo (right next the "URU"):

And this is a better visible version of this logo:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36112 on: August 02, 2019, 07:47:09 pm »
gonna' be a busy weekend. 

roving in the 222Mhz and up contest tomorrow afternoon. (will have antennas for 222, 432, and 1296 mounted on the truck)

then berryville va hamfest on sunday.

BUT this listing keeps nagging.   what the hell use would it be to me?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-10326A-TIME-INTERVAL-STANDARD/362462447093?hash=item54647205f5:g:dJUAAOSwPR9byQ41

if it is still unbought by one of you TEA freaks sunday evening i will probably pull the trigger.
free range primate

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #36113 on: August 02, 2019, 09:19:28 pm »
Even Tektronix-colored shower curtains!  :clap:

Right side of Bench B along with the scope cart.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #36114 on: August 02, 2019, 09:20:37 pm »
Hei bd,

since you are having so much fun with your Heathkit VTVM
I thought, I'll show you some photos of one of my four (don't ask   ::) ) VTVM.   ;D

They are from Rohde & Schwarz, mostly made for the German Post
back in the 60's and 70's. They are called URU 1080BN and are
heavy and sturdy as hell. The case is made of 1mm steel.

Cool! Added it to the POI.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #36115 on: August 02, 2019, 09:26:53 pm »
Re 'Post' running telephone - that also happened in Australia - it was called the Post Master General or PMG - they also did most of the moderate level electronics training as well - a lot of my Ham club are ex PMG employees. I have several bits of gear labeled PMG.
PMG got privatised and is now called Telstra.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36116 on: August 02, 2019, 09:27:17 pm »
The latest TEA related woodworking project is done and installed a day early. Pix 1 shows an under utilized space between the audio system and bench A. Pix 2 shows the solution. This was actually inspired by the lady cop. She sarcastically remarked one day “I'm surprised you don't kick out that plant and use that space”.  ::) Well my dear, your wish is my command.  :-+ Space now better utilized. Now I'm sure when she sees it I'm going to get a massive eye roll and a “you ain't right”. To which I am going to reply: “Well if you hadn't opened your mouth I probably wouldn't have thought of it”.  :P Now for my young friends, this is how you catch fleas because you will be in the dog house.  :palm: You never, EVER, call out a woman on something she said.  :scared: Not a healthy thing to do. But I'm too old and stupid to care. She'll get over it.  ;D

And for you plant lovers. Don't not fret. The plant is fine. Moved to another location which actually provides it with better sunshine.

Can't argue with results that are both aesthetically pleasing and space efficient. :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36117 on: August 02, 2019, 09:35:13 pm »

Far left. The Video and static displays. | Continuing to the right. Audio system plus new shelf connecting it to Bench A. | Bench A. | Left side of Bench B. | Right side of Bench B along with the scope cart.

Edit....also have another small TEA related woodworking project that I should have done in a few days.

Wow, I remember way back when it was just bench A and closing the shutters made almost everything disappear. ;D

Right side of Bench B along with the scope cart.

Even Tektronix-colored shower curtains!  :clap:

LOL! I'll second that.  :clap:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36118 on: August 03, 2019, 12:34:30 am »
I have returned from the Center of the Micros and...

Don't Judge me.

mnem
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 12:43:15 am by mnementh »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #36119 on: August 03, 2019, 12:47:27 am »
Oh my - that's a big swab you got there.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #36120 on: August 03, 2019, 12:58:53 am »
I can't wait to see it on my 24inch monitor later, well done sir.

You should see it on my 46" LED TV that I am currently using for a monitor.  Looks almost life size. :-DD

Awesome job on the bench, med.  Bench envy now.  I can build for function but not really for aesthetics.

"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #36121 on: August 03, 2019, 01:12:16 am »

Far left. The Video and static displays.
Edit....also have another small TEA related woodworking project that I should have done in a few days.

Lose the PC and you have room for another 1/2 dozen scopes at least  ;D Must strive to work cleaner here but I tend to be running multiple jobs at a time.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #36122 on: August 03, 2019, 02:55:29 am »
I received my Agilent GPIB adapter, purchased from a forum member today. Working good with the 8566A so far. Some pics here in a while.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #36123 on: August 03, 2019, 03:38:25 am »
The KE5FX plotter emulator utility might be my favorite.  8)

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Brumby, bitseeker, kj7e

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36124 on: August 03, 2019, 06:12:28 am »

First. Effing. Try.   :palm:

It took me a little while to get there; I couldn't find the 8-pin ATX cable for my old OCZ PSU, so I took the time to make one up. But really.  :palm:

This just reinforces the old wisdom of "Never buy the top of the line or the bottom; get 2nd up from the bottom or 2nd down from the top." The top of the line will receive all the attention at bug-fixing; which will usually also apply to the 2nd down; 2nd up from the bottom of the line is usually based on high-end last-gen tech, which is going to be more mature with the bugs already worked out.  :o

I will try and remember this next time I'm vacillating between two models... I almost bought this Aorus X570 Pro WiFi MB first time around due to lack of stock on the Aorus X570 Elite; I SO wish I had.  |O

mnem
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 06:14:40 am by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf