Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14881781 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #36425 on: August 07, 2019, 05:27:06 pm »
The other day I mentioned I had another small wood working project on tap. Well, here it is...ready for stain and poly. It is TEA related. If you can guess what it's for you will be granted genius of the day. Guess wrong and there's no penalty.

Once it's done I will reveal it's purpose.

It's the stand for the old CRT you removed from the Heathkit scope and replaced with the right one. You have some nice woodworking skills and by the look of things also some tools to go with them [emoji106]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #36426 on: August 07, 2019, 05:27:25 pm »
Smells like a scope clock

Agreed.  If not, then a booze bottle holder for when you need both hands to bid on an auction for some crusty piece of gear?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36427 on: August 07, 2019, 05:44:01 pm »
Ding, ding, ding....we have TWO winners but one was actually DEAD on.  :-+ :-+

Wch said it's to hold a scope CRT. Correct but which one?

Specmaster said it's to hold the 3 inch CRT I removed from the Heath OL-1. RIGHT ON PAL!  :clap: :clap: You are genius of the day.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #36428 on: August 07, 2019, 07:06:26 pm »
i didnt know TEA is one of courier service in China. its an outbreak..
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #36429 on: August 07, 2019, 07:36:34 pm »
i didnt know TEA is one of courier service in China. its an outbreak..

Not sure, if T.E.A. is a good acronym for a courier service. To me, it sounds too much like DEA.  >:D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #36430 on: August 07, 2019, 08:32:47 pm »
The other day I mentioned I had another small wood working project on tap. Well, here it is...ready for stain and poly. It is TEA related. If you can guess what it's for you will be granted genius of the day. Guess wrong and there's no penalty.

Once it's done I will reveal it's purpose.

Very nice CRT display mount, med! Will you be adding a plexi cover, too?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #36431 on: August 07, 2019, 08:35:57 pm »

Specmaster said it's to hold the 3 inch CRT I removed from the Heath OL-1. RIGHT ON PAL!  :clap: :clap: You are genius of the day.  :-DD

Specmaster is more geniuser than me. Not surprising.  :-DD
specialization is for insects.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36432 on: August 07, 2019, 08:46:34 pm »

Thank you very kindly for the accolade, now I'm going to risk loosing it   :palm:, is it an optical illusion or not, but it looks like the hole for the base of the CRT is slightly off centre? It looks in these photos to be more to the left of the back support.

Ducking to dodge the soggy old wellington boot being thrown in my direction pp mnem  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36433 on: August 07, 2019, 08:54:53 pm »
Well an evening aboard the fail train for me. Finished off the Philips power supply refurb. Connected it up, Meeeeeewwwwwwwwwww it went and then I shut the power off. After some poking around I discovered I'd put the 38V rail capacitor in arse about face. Schoolboy error. Measuring the ESR of the cap after pulling it, it's duff - over 10 ohms. Dig around in the junk box, all my 100uF caps only go up to 35V. Fuck!  >:(

Edit: Incidentally I fired it up on the HP 6286A rather than on the mains. That didn't even hum with a couple of amps leaving it!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:00:35 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #36434 on: August 07, 2019, 09:01:14 pm »
I could totally hear that, bd. Well-spelled onomatopoeia.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36435 on: August 07, 2019, 09:23:05 pm »
Well an evening aboard the fail train for me. Finished off the Philips power supply refurb. Connected it up, Meeeeeewwwwwwwwwww it went and then I shut the power off. After some poking around I discovered I'd put the 38V rail capacitor in arse about face. Schoolboy error. Measuring the ESR of the cap after pulling it, it's duff - over 10 ohms. Dig around in the junk box, all my 100uF caps only go up to 35V. Fuck!  >:(

Edit: Incidentally I fired it up on the HP 6286A rather than on the mains. That didn't even hum with a couple of amps leaving it!
Welcome back again, feeling a bit better then. Gee that sucks, whack another order in for replacement and now back to the waiting game again  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36436 on: August 07, 2019, 09:36:59 pm »
Yeah dropped in order in with RS. Will get it Friday. Another day closer to death...  :-DD

Also anyone who hits ebay recently, do NOT deal with Packlink. Total fucking morons. Have billed me up front and after 15 days for an invoice. Cunts.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36437 on: August 07, 2019, 09:53:58 pm »
Yeah dropped in order in with RS. Will get it Friday. Another day closer to death...  :-DD

Also anyone who hits ebay recently, do NOT deal with Packlink. Total fucking morons. Have billed me up front and after 15 days for an invoice. Cunts.
Is that Packlinkstore in Germany by any chance? Neat Pink Floyd reference there too  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36438 on: August 07, 2019, 10:35:53 pm »
It’s the thing that replaced Shutl. Think it’s based in Spain.

Glad you got the reference :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36439 on: August 07, 2019, 10:36:25 pm »

Very nice CRT display mount, med! Will you be adding a plexi cover, too?

I thought about it but no, not right now.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36440 on: August 07, 2019, 10:40:17 pm »

Thank you very kindly for the accolade, now I'm going to risk loosing it   :palm:, is it an optical illusion or not, but it looks like the hole for the base of the CRT is slightly off centre? It looks in these photos to be more to the left of the back support.

Ducking to dodge the soggy old wellington boot being thrown in my direction pp mnem  :-DD

You are highly observant and deserve a 2 day genius award.  :-+ :-DD Yes, it is slightly off center in rear. Measurement error on my part. Decided to run with it anyway because I didn't want to waste the wood and "no one would notice"  :o :o :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36441 on: August 07, 2019, 10:44:43 pm »

Is that Packlinkstore in Germany by any chance? Neat Pink Floyd reference there too  :-+

Even this dumbass got THAT reference.  :P :P :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36442 on: August 07, 2019, 10:45:38 pm »
How did you attach the right angles, med? Any fancy joinery going on or keeping it effective?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36443 on: August 07, 2019, 10:48:14 pm »
How did you attach the right angles, med? Any fancy joinery going on or keeping it effective?

No fancy joinery. Simple butt joints. Wood glue with recessed nails and wood filler over the nail heads.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36444 on: August 07, 2019, 10:51:19 pm »

The Tek gods continue to give you bad karma.  :-DD

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #36445 on: August 07, 2019, 10:55:40 pm »
As somebody who is, on one hand, an electronics enthusiast / hobbyist, and on the other hand a former firefighter and firefighting instructor, I have to say, certain aspects of this thread make me a little nervous.   :wtf: :-\ :scared:

All I can say is, be REALLY F'IN SUPER CAREFUL with highly flammable substances.  Yeah I know, Mötley Crüe frickin' set themselves on fire during their early concerts just to wow audiences... but generally speaking, there's a reason we encourage people to not "play with fire".   :rant: ;D 8)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36446 on: August 07, 2019, 11:02:10 pm »
As somebody who is, on one hand, an electronics enthusiast / hobbyist, and on the other hand a former firefighter and firefighting instructor, I have to say, certain aspects of this thread make me a little nervous.   :wtf: :-\ :scared:

All I can say is, be REALLY F'IN SUPER CAREFUL with highly flammable substances.  Yeah I know, Mötley Crüe frickin' set themselves on fire during their early concerts just to wow audiences... but generally speaking, there's a reason we encourage people to not "play with fire".   :rant: ;D 8)

That's nuthin. When you got a few hours go way back in this thread and read some of bd139's exploits with fire. It will make your hair stand on end.  :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :-DD

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #36447 on: August 07, 2019, 11:05:48 pm »
If you want to talk about fire hazards, I've done some metal soldering with an oxyacetylene torch. Fire brick lined work area is basically required and you keep ALL flammables far away.

Online jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36448 on: August 07, 2019, 11:35:59 pm »
IPA is pretty nasty stuff if it goes up. Can’t see the flames
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 11:37:45 pm by jjoonathan »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36449 on: August 07, 2019, 11:40:16 pm »
If you can't see it it's not really a problem, is it? Just like electricity, come to think of it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf