Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14557896 times)

Jambalaya and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #37025 on: August 17, 2019, 06:34:18 pm »
Well whoever owned this V-7A was no Gorilla.  ;D Other than the parts mentioned before which are automatic replace just one carbon comp is reading a little high. 3.9M vs 3.3M. So that will be added to change out list. The 9.1 ohm resistor that always seems to get burnt is reading 9.04 ohms.  8) No Gorilla here!  :-DD

Front panel has been cleaned along with the knobs. Case painted, currently drying. Going to reassemble it for now because the parts will need to be ordered.

Edit, I'll post a pix once I get it reassembled.
Strewth that is a humongous selenium rectifier in there,  >:D 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37026 on: August 17, 2019, 06:52:41 pm »
@med, that looks really good in the Tek blue and I'm sure that once you have sorted the internals out it will be a useful piece of kit for you, well done. But that handle is not an original for that meter, it looks like a metal handle from a filing cabinet, the original was similar but plastic and slightly narrower as in the attached photo.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37027 on: August 17, 2019, 06:53:35 pm »
Strewth that is a humongous selenium rectifier in there,  >:D 

That's a baby one.

This is a big one  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37028 on: August 17, 2019, 07:12:26 pm »
Yeah I saw that one in the museum myself, sure would not want to be near that when it lets go, a resistor sized one smells bad enough  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37029 on: August 17, 2019, 07:15:19 pm »
Yep. I think you'd have to evacuate half of London  :-DD

That is one smell I NEVER want to smell again.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #37030 on: August 17, 2019, 07:16:02 pm »
 It would probably more resemble one of those utility mains transformer meltdowns that happens occasionally.  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37031 on: August 17, 2019, 07:19:55 pm »
@med, that looks really good in the Tek blue and I'm sure that once you have sorted the internals out it will be a useful piece of kit for you, well done. But that handle is not an original for that meter, it looks like a metal handle from a filing cabinet, the original was similar but plastic and slightly narrower as in the attached photo.

The original plastic handle that came with that V-7A was used on the S-3 Electronic Switch which didn't have one. At the time I did not anticipate that this V-7A would be restored. The metal handle that I installed is the same dimension and the screw holes line up. Heath made them out of metal in the early to mid 1950's and yes, they are slightly thicker than the later plastic ones.  The V-5 that this metal handle came off of is the exact same case size as the V-7A. Now I could play "musical handles" and swap things around but to me it looks OK and I can't be bothered.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37032 on: August 17, 2019, 07:33:10 pm »

....I'm just going to nope out of that, and definitely nope out of seeing one of those big ones go.  :o

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37033 on: August 17, 2019, 07:41:33 pm »
New Tek 7k plugins for use in the 7904A. 7A22 differential amplifier and a 7A13 differential comparator (now I need some P6055 probe pairs to go with those...anyone have some they want to sell?  :-DD ). And also a pair of 7A26 amplifiers. The one I had needs attenuator work, so off to the work queue it goes. Once I find to more P6106A probes, I will have a 'scope that can have 4 real vertical channels, unlike my 2465B.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #37034 on: August 17, 2019, 08:13:08 pm »

We now officially have our first space smugglers... where's Han Solo when you need him...?

mnem
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 10:33:47 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37035 on: August 17, 2019, 08:18:00 pm »
WTF is that all about??  :-// :-// :-//

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37036 on: August 17, 2019, 08:58:34 pm »
About Selenium rectifiers and the shitty smell they give off when they fail  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37037 on: August 17, 2019, 09:20:10 pm »
Just canned my 2m activity here. Pulled the sodding slim jim down, packed up the HT and will chuck it on ebay. Started with someone making chicken noises on the local repeater. When he got bored, someone else turned up, a G-prefix, QSY'ed off to another frequency with an M7 and spent ten minutes bitching about that, "Baofeng dick heads", then a pro brexit political rant. The other dude just turned his radio off by the sounds :palm:. I was in lurk mode so decided not to participate this evening.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 09:21:45 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37038 on: August 17, 2019, 09:29:49 pm »
Sounds like the problem here in the States (especially east of the Mississippi apparently) where jerkoffs tune their transceivers into Guard (121.4, an emergency channel for those not aware) and make various noises, such as meowing.  :wtf:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37039 on: August 17, 2019, 09:31:13 pm »
Just canned my 2m activity here. Pulled the sodding slim jim down, packed up the HT and will chuck it on ebay. Started with someone making chicken noises on the local repeater. When he got bored, someone else turned up, a G-prefix, QSY'ed off to another frequency with an M7 and spent ten minutes bitching about that, "Baofeng dick heads", then a pro brexit political rant. The other dude just turned his radio off by the sounds :palm:. I was in lurk mode so decided not to participate this evening.
Still wanting to make transmitters and receivers? Strikes me that in every walk of life there some utter nutters out there and thankfully, there are not to many of them in this community, though I have to say I think I have come across one particular person who seems to hide behind a fake ID and and location and pops up now and then and poses a dumb question just to start a debate and then they go dark on it  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #37040 on: August 17, 2019, 09:49:48 pm »

Same crap over here. The main repeater we used got ruined by jammers which are too difficult to track in such a large metroplex. Some of us hang out now on a simplex frequency where it's too hard to jamb everyone.  :(
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37041 on: August 17, 2019, 09:58:24 pm »
I haven't listened in to 2M for a long time and it used to be pretty civil and professional. I guess that's no longer the case. Sounds more like Crap Band.  :palm:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37042 on: August 17, 2019, 10:07:13 pm »
Still wanting to make transmitters and receivers? Strikes me that in every walk of life there some utter nutters out there and thankfully, there are not to many of them in this community, though I have to say I think I have come across one particular person who seems to hide behind a fake ID and and location and pops up now and then and poses a dumb question just to start a debate and then they go dark on it  :palm:

There's a couple of individuals here on blog who have a "holier than thou" attitude and their shit don't stink and their word is the final say.  :blah: ::) Luckily they do not participate in this thread.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37043 on: August 17, 2019, 10:11:43 pm »

About Selenium rectifiers and the shitty smell they give off when they fail  :-DD

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=first+space+smuggler

mnem
 :P pppppptttttbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb!!!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 10:15:40 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37044 on: August 17, 2019, 10:12:31 pm »

There's a couple of individuals here on blog who have a "holier than thou" attitude and their shit don't stink and their word is the final say.  :blah: ::) Luckily they do not participate in this thread.

Honestly that particular poster might be someone's AI chatbot experiment.

Back to TEA: does anyone know how to use the little copper 5mm clips that come with Tektronix 5mm probes? Like, the P6056 I have came with a bunch of them. I believe it's Tektronix part # 214-0283-00, ground contact spring for 5mm probe tip?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37045 on: August 17, 2019, 10:16:31 pm »

mnem

You've been drinking today, haven't you??  :palm: Come on...fess up!   :o :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #37046 on: August 17, 2019, 10:20:15 pm »
(Attachment Link)

mnem
Earlier space missions unintentionally spread a lot of life across the moon and there are some pretty good indications goods got smuggled on those missions too. It's probably more of a PR stunt after it all went south than anything else.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37047 on: August 17, 2019, 10:20:57 pm »

Yeah, this particular person, I did actually report to Dave but he didn't think it was that bad and elected to do nothing about it, fair enough it his forum anyway and lets face it, its generally a really good forum but this one person did one time really piss me off because whenever anyone actually asked for further clarification on a point they would never respond and just when you thought the topic was done and dusted, up they'd pop and thrown in some more shit. I've got to a point now where if they pop up I tend to ignore them, but its still niggles at you if you know what I mean. You want to chip and sort of help them because you think you can, and then you remember all the shit from previous attempts to help and then say sod it and move on. 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37048 on: August 17, 2019, 10:24:37 pm »
No, it's for reallz. We have officially smuggled live animals off the planet.

https://mashable.com/article/smuggled-moon-tardigrade/

https://www.space.com/moon-tardigrades-future.html

mnem
First water bears, next Rathtars...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 10:33:05 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37049 on: August 17, 2019, 10:26:03 pm »

When I was a forum mod years ago we had some proper crazy ones. Had to call the police on one  :--. Incidentally I think I know who you mean.

Same crap over here. The main repeater we used got ruined by jammers which are too difficult to track in such a large metroplex. Some of us hang out now on a simplex frequency where it's too hard to jamb everyone.  :(

Yeah there have been cases of that here too. Simplex is mostly dead here other than a couple of local nets and they are boring.

We have this shit as well http://www.laughingpoliceman.com/index.htm

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf