Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14939322 times)

Carl_Smith and 263 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #37575 on: August 28, 2019, 12:41:01 pm »
It got so bad I nearly bought Eagle. Then I realised Autodesk own them now so I crawled back to my position of taking it from the open source delegate minor devil rather than satan himself.

Jep. I've bought Eagle Version 7.5 right before it was sold to Autodesk. One of the biggest disadvanteges of the Eagle license
I have is its limitations to boards of a size of 160mm x 100mm. I planned to upgrade to a license without any
size limits but then I learned the pricing model of Autodesk. Do not have to mention that this is in my eyes a complete ... fraud? ... scam?
Wrote a comment in ther forum, that I was going to upgrade my Eagle license but not to such conditions. Since then
I'm working with my old license and are awaiting the day when I have to switch to KiCAD but I fear the learning curve.

Bloody thieves and highwaymans at Autodesk.  :--  :rant:

Honestly Kicad is not that bad and not that difficult a learning curve. The trouble I suffer with it is far less than other products so I shouldn't complain.

Back in the distant past I did and integration with HP CoCreate work manager and ME10 (aka Creo now). That was literally like dipping your balls in acid and then salt in quick succession all day. The thing was backed with Oracle on an HP N-class. The whole platform was one of HP's lesser known disasters.

As for AutoDesk licensing, it's a rip off. They knew they could milk their existing customers successfully even if it made the new ones bugger off and still make more money so they took that option.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, scl

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37576 on: August 28, 2019, 12:48:53 pm »
sooooo.... i have four 5.5 digit DMMs, including a Fluke 8840A, on my bench. given the limits of my volt nuttery, i am happy that they all measure the voltage of a DMMCheck within 0.004 volts but...

they are kinda, i dunno, drifty, fluctuating, each and every one of them, in the least significant digits. and the changes are fast (every update when on internal trigger) and seemingly random (doesn't seem to be consistent in amount or direction). they don't settle down if I let them warm up. i guess it is a noise issue (WAG). i haven't done a lot of interwebbing to see if there is a reason or a fix and figured i'd ask the collective brain trust here for some guidance before i crack the cases open.

edit: to be clear, i see these fluctuations with the leads shorted, too, though the delta is a lot smaller. it is worse on the fluke than the HP meters. so it seems to be more than just the random nano current across a large resistance...

Could be external noise, e.g. spikes.

Could be internal noise, e.g. caps or the voltage reference or dirt/deposits.

My Solartron 7081 recommends that after being left in storage it is wrapped in a blanket, turned on, and left for a day. The internal temperature rises to ~40C. Mine improved significantly after that process.

Like wise both my 5.5 digit DMM's, Siglent SDM 3055 and Fluke 8810A, need minimum 12 hours power on after a cold start before achieving best accuracy and stability.
I've always accepted that the more digits you have on a meter, the more the least significant ones will change and this is to my mind, to be expected as external circumstances will begin play a part. Lets examine if you will a set of scales, as the scales or transducers get more sensitive to measure minute weights, the more external events like breeze, vibration temperature etc will cause them to fluctuate their readings so shouldn't similar forces play a part when it comes DMM's?

You can get some very cheap 3.5 digit meters that will agree 100% with say a Fluke 3.5 digit meter but as you get into the world of 4.5 and higher digit meters, the cheaper brands drop off rather quickly because they are far more complex to design and make to be reliable and this can demonstrated with my own set of meters, I can put a shorting plug between common and the V and  \$\Omega\$ and the last digit on all but the 3.5 meters will change over time and I only go upto 6.5 digits so if your talking about 8.5 digit meters then this level of accuracy is a magnitude more difficult to obtain and to be honest, I'd be perfectly happy if I had such a meter for the last 2 digits to change.  :-DMM 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:50:58 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37577 on: August 28, 2019, 01:01:38 pm »
Random question here out of the blue an definitely off topic but this is the sort of obscure knowledge people on here know.

How can I kill a large tree discretely?  Local council won't deal with an overhanging tree so I'm going to plan B which is to murder the fucking thing myself.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #37578 on: August 28, 2019, 01:07:30 pm »
Considering your known history with explosives and incendiary devices... Define "discretely".    :-DD

mnem
 :-X
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:09:02 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37579 on: August 28, 2019, 01:09:00 pm »
Specification: doesn't lead back to me  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37580 on: August 28, 2019, 01:09:53 pm »
I think that with a tree that overhangs, you are free to cut off the offending branches but you have to hand over those cut off branches back to the tree's owner. In this case I suspect the tree belongs to the council so got luck getting them in your C4 for dropping off at the their offices :-DD But seriously that is the law as I have been given to understand.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37581 on: August 28, 2019, 01:11:47 pm »
Thats makes both mnems ideas useless as your reputation goes before you on both of those counts.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37582 on: August 28, 2019, 01:12:22 pm »
Hmmmm...  locally, how well-known is the aforementioned history?  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37583 on: August 28, 2019, 01:13:09 pm »
@specmaster: Yeah that's what I was told. The ground is cracked badly around it and I got a tree surgeon to have a look at it but he said if he cut all the branches over my side of the property then the tree would go over and land in the road so he couldn't do it. He said my option was to murder it and then phone the council and tell them it was dead as they'd have to take it down then. I asked him how and he refused to answer  :-DD

@mnem: I smoke bombed the garden out once playing with a 2Kg sugar and potassium nitrate rocket motor so quite well known  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37584 on: August 28, 2019, 01:15:51 pm »

mnem
I'm working on it:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #37585 on: August 28, 2019, 01:16:04 pm »
Random question here out of the blue an definitely off topic but this is the sort of obscure knowledge people on here know.

How can I kill a large tree discretely?  Local council won't deal with an overhanging tree so I'm going to plan B which is to murder the fucking thing myself.
Drill a few tiny holes in the trunk and apply undiluted glyphosate with a syringe.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37586 on: August 28, 2019, 01:16:21 pm »
Perhaps some drunken idiot or a boy racer might oblige you by crashing their car into it  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37587 on: August 28, 2019, 01:21:15 pm »
Perhaps some drunken idiot or a boy racer might oblige you by crashing their car into it  :-DD

Yeah ironically the dude who hit my fence a while back missed the tree by about 6 feet  :-DD

Drill a few tiny holes in the trunk and apply undiluted glyphosate with a syringe.

SOLD.  :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37588 on: August 28, 2019, 01:22:29 pm »
It doesn't take a big tree to have cars and their passengers come off very second best.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37589 on: August 28, 2019, 01:23:32 pm »

SOLD.  :-DD
Don't spill any or you'll give the game away.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37590 on: August 28, 2019, 01:25:19 pm »

I was trying to think of something less likely to cause bd MORE brain damage and cover both backyards and the street/compost pile/workers with poison-laden sawdust as the tree cut up and processed in a chipper...  :o

mnem

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37591 on: August 28, 2019, 01:27:02 pm »

I was trying to think of something less likely to cause bd MORE brain damage and cover both backyards and the street/compost pile/workers with poison-laden sawdust as the tree cut up and processed in a chipper...

mnem

:-//
LD50 is less than common salt.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37592 on: August 28, 2019, 01:30:15 pm »

Ummm... I know what these terms all mean, but strung together this way they don't exactly form a complete sentence.  :o

mnem

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #37593 on: August 28, 2019, 01:35:14 pm »

Copper Ions are mabye helpful, because copper is a poison to most plants. That's why you can see on some roofs
copper tapes which prevent the dosh growing.

Blue vitriol is perhaps a good choice.

But it should be clear, that using such stuff is not good for the enviroment.

Another technique is: cutting the tree bark around except for one little stay. The tree will starve to death then.

HTH

Edit: found an article on Wikipedia which describes better what I mean:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girdling
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:39:46 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37594 on: August 28, 2019, 01:38:01 pm »

Copper Ions are mabye helpful, because copper is a poison to most plants. That's why you can see on some roofs
copper tapes which prevent the dosh growing.

Blue vitriol is perhaps a good choice.

But it should be clear, that using such stuff is not good for the enviroment.

Another technique is: cutting the tree bark around except for one little stay. The tree will starve to death then.

HTH
Ring baking, nope too visible.
Copper Sulphate into the root system, yep but it might take a bit to properly poison the ground in order to kill the tree.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #37595 on: August 28, 2019, 01:38:32 pm »

Once you kill it, it will not disappear.
Do you want it gone or dead?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #37596 on: August 28, 2019, 01:39:37 pm »
As I read it: Gone.

Dead is just a step along the way.   ;)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37597 on: August 28, 2019, 01:41:10 pm »
Dead becomes a public nuisance and injury risk....then the council will remove it.
Dead = Gone.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37598 on: August 28, 2019, 01:42:29 pm »

Ummm... I know what these terms all mean, but strung together this way they don't exactly form a complete sentence.  :o

mnem
If your saying that median lethal dose for a tree is less hazardous to humans than table salt, remember the vectors here:

1) A human being handling undiluted glyphosate to fill and administer with a syringe.

2) Sawdust containing unknown concentrations of said once-undiluted glyphosate (Which I would expect to still be high around the base of the tree where it would be administered, where a lot of cutting/stump grinding would occur) that will come in direct contact with sweaty human skin, eyeballs, and ingested through mucous membranes, throat, throat and stomach. As those who produce such poisons have spent so much money PREVENTING meaningful studies into the actual damage these potent neurotoxins do to the human body, my personal "safe exposure level" is fucking ZERO. 

mnem

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #37599 on: August 28, 2019, 01:46:41 pm »
Ring baking, nope too visible.
Copper Sulphate into the root system, yep but it might take a bit to properly poison the ground in order to kill the tree.

True. But taking some time is perhaps a good thing. Imho it makes it a bit harder to find out the responsible person.  8)  ;)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf