Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14830152 times)

Vince and 151 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline dcbrown73

• Regular Contributor
Why exactly do people feel I should have read their post before I responded?  As if that was necessary for me to get my point across.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #39076 on: September 17, 2019, 07:35:19 pm »
Yes, as stated. With just one verb in the sentence the verb is between subject and object:

"bd139 verlötet Molexstecker" = bd139 miss-solders Molex connectors

Ah, missolder. Couldn't find "verlöten" anywhere in my regular dictionaries, and the Google translator just gave me "solder" as an answer.

Heute habe ich etwas Neues gelernt. Vielen Dank.  :-+

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #39077 on: September 17, 2019, 07:42:01 pm »
I suppose it's a reasonable solution for introductory levels, though I have the sneaking suspicion that since it was aimed at state education buyers, it was depressingly overpriced.
 I bet my Micronta 22-195 is a better DMM...  ::)

In fact that reminds me, the Micronta is better than any other meter I've ever used in one usage case: LED testing.
The reason being, it puts out almost 3.2v at nearly 1.5mA, making even blue/white LEDs testable   ^-^
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #39078 on: September 17, 2019, 07:42:59 pm »
This was not only my Lady Copper's co-worker but also a personal friend. Really sucks.  :--

https://nypost.com/2019/09/16/murder-suicide-victim-identified-as-nypd-school-safety-officer/

Very sad to see this.  My condolences. :'(  I haven't lost anyone to violence but did lose a friend and a niece to suicide.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39079 on: September 17, 2019, 07:45:35 pm »
Back on subject.  :-DD The recently purchased 7A16A plug-in has been adjusted and checked out. Working great.  :-+

10MHz square from Heath IG-4244 Scope Calibrator. Compare this to the 465B from yesterday. The 7A16A shows the trailing edge ringing that is inherent and normal with the Heath Calibrator. The 465B does not show the ringing, or it's very small. Difference is B/W. 465B spec'ed to 100MHz. 7A16A spec'ed to 250MHz. 

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #39080 on: September 17, 2019, 08:18:34 pm »
@med. Very sad to hear that news, suicide takes so many lives, depression seems to be on the rise as well - lots of pressure on people nowadays.
Condolences
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39081 on: September 17, 2019, 08:19:45 pm »
@med: Looking good  :-+. Oscillation on the trailing edge might be an impedance mismatch somewhere. I'm not sure the heathkit was designed to be whacked in the front of a fast scope considering their fastest was 60MHz and rare as hen's teeth.

Random thing: just bought a new tube of Arctic Silver. Last one lasted 12 years  :-DD

Also yes, sad news indeed. Been there before. My condolences :(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39082 on: September 17, 2019, 08:41:09 pm »
@med: Looking good  :-+. Oscillation on the trailing edge might be an impedance mismatch somewhere. I'm not sure the heathkit was designed to be whacked in the front of a fast scope considering their fastest was 60MHz and rare as hen's teeth.

Random thing: just bought a new tube of Arctic Silver. Last one lasted 12 years  :-DD

Also yes, sad news indeed. Been there before. My condolences :(

The IG-4244 is designed for high B/W scopes. There is 20MHz, 50MHz, and 100MHz available but above 20MHz it looks pretty crappy which is why I generally stick to 10MHz max. I'll post some pix.

And thanks for the condolences.  :-+ 

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39083 on: September 17, 2019, 08:49:36 pm »
Here's 50MHz and 100MHz from the Heath IG-4244. 7904 scope with a 7A16A vertical plug-in and a 7B80 timebase plug in set to X10.

50MHz not too bad. The 100MHz....forget about it.  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39084 on: September 17, 2019, 08:53:25 pm »
Yeah that's a bit wibbly that at 100MHz. I'm going to dig out my 100MHz oscillator and see what it looks like on the DS1054Z... brb :D

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39085 on: September 17, 2019, 08:57:20 pm »

Every USB plug is supposed to have the USB trident logo facing up when you connect it.

This doesn't prevent some manufacturers to install USB ports upside down or in a vertical position, however.  :scared:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:06:36 pm by bsfeechannel »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39086 on: September 17, 2019, 09:07:34 pm »
100MHz 2nd LO off my probably never ending SA project:

That's running at 100.000343 MHz which is good enough to check scopes with.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39087 on: September 17, 2019, 09:47:53 pm »
The Heath does drift a bit as it warms up but it's pretty close.

Currently 50000.94MHz and 100001.79MHz

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39088 on: September 17, 2019, 09:50:23 pm »
Every USB plug is supposed to have the USB trident logo facing up when you connect it.

This doesn't prevent some manufacturers to install USB ports upside down or in a vertical position, however.  :scared:

Not only that, but about half the USB flash drives I buy don't even have the logo on them...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39089 on: September 17, 2019, 09:56:45 pm »
Been a busy boy today. More painting. I really hate those beige Fuke cases. So today as an experiment gave the 8810A case a coat of paint. I tried to match the older Fluke blue/green but couldn't find a close match. So I went with a different shade of blue from what I use on the Tek and Heath cases. I think it turned out pretty damn good.  :-+ Now I could go total and strip down the front panel and spray that gloss black but that's involving messing with the switch assemblies and the LED's. I think it's better to let sleeping dogs lay.  :scared:

So I'm going to give the 8010A, 8050A, and 7260A the same treatment.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, edavid, Cubdriver

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #39090 on: September 17, 2019, 10:17:57 pm »
More crap on my bench. Got some four wire test leads from Fleabay and checked the wires they used. They looked nice and big until you examine the ends.

Of course they are crap - what else did I expect?  :palm: They used shielded wire to make it look like a large gauge. So, more work to do. I'll re-build them myself with better parts and get a refund. The clips are OK I suppose, I'll start from there.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #39092 on: September 17, 2019, 11:01:30 pm »
This was not only my Lady Copper's co-worker but also a personal friend. Really sucks.  :--   https://nypost.com/2019/09/16/murder-suicide-victim-identified-as-nypd-school-safety-officer/

Aww man...  :( Condolances. Not a damn thing else I can think of to say...  :-\

mnem
*totally on a different planet right now*
Thanks. Jo Ann told me that she can't bear to go to her funeral. But since it will be a funeral sponsored by NYPD she may be obligated to go. In fact, since she was a friend she might even be selected as part of the honor guard. I know that's gonna really affect her if she has to do that.

It's gotta be surreal for you and her right now. A little like last year when my neighbor comes and knocks on the door... telling me his wife just died. I just froze... then welcomed him inside for a cup of coffee... "Now is no time for you to be alone..." I said. But all I could do was stand there and watch him sit & shake... what else can you do?

All I can say is... be there for her. I watched out for him every day for months... cooked extra when I made dinner & took it over to him to make sure he ate, listened when he needed to unload. But in the end, if you care at all, you just watch out for them and be there.

mnem
*Namaste*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39093 on: September 17, 2019, 11:54:17 pm »
I just obtained “hero” status and didn't even have to try hard.

Was talking with downstairs neighbor. She begged me to look at her teenage son's computer. He bought all the parts, assembled it himself, but it ain't working. This could easily turn into a cluster fuck but I agreed to look at it. So I'm starring into this tower which looks like a hand grenade went off inside it. But after carefully examining things it appeared that everything was at least assembled, the fans were going, keyboard and mouse lit up, but nothing on the monitor. Further checking I notice that the HDMI to the monitor was plugged into the motherboard port but he had an MSI video card. Ah-ha! Plug it into the video card and bingo...we are into the BIOS. So it at least boots that far. I look at boot menu. Where is your DVD? Don't have one was the answer. How do you plan on the loading the OS? Deer in the headlights. Buy a DVD drive. Next question. Do you have a WIN10 DVD? He was going to use the recovery DVD for his HP laptop. Won't work I said. Buy a copy of WIN10.

So, that's where I left it but he was happy and mom was delighted. He did get an Intel I-5 and a MSI video card but only bought 4G of memory and a 128G SSD. And he plans on gaming. D'OH. Told him you need at least 16G memory and a 512G SSD. And I said if you have any other problems let me know. I have a feeling I will be needed again. But I'm a hero.     

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39095 on: September 18, 2019, 12:22:56 am »
Aaand a Tek 5B10 plugin is on the way to me for a whopping 2.- (plus 5.-).
The fate of it? Mechanical stock for TM500. Does someone need the innards? (not for parts, as I would do that myself, of course).

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #39096 on: September 18, 2019, 12:25:41 am »
What kind of fuckery is this?!?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Electrical-Test-Measurement-System/163866535293?hash=item262734e57d:g:o-MAAOSwfE5dgHmp

Dös is a eierlegende Wollmilchsau, aber a ganz damische!
When I was young and needed the money, I had one of those, too ... I think they are still made, am I right ?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #39097 on: September 18, 2019, 03:09:07 am »
I just obtained “hero” status and didn't even have to try hard.

Was talking with downstairs neighbor. She begged me to look at her teenage son's computer. He bought all the parts, assembled it himself, but it ain't working. This could easily turn into a cluster fuck but I agreed to look at it. So I'm starring into this tower which looks like a hand grenade went off inside it. But after carefully examining things it appeared that everything was at least assembled, the fans were going, keyboard and mouse lit up, but nothing on the monitor. Further checking I notice that the HDMI to the monitor was plugged into the motherboard port but he had an MSI video card. Ah-ha! Plug it into the video card and bingo...we are into the BIOS. So it at least boots that far. I look at boot menu. Where is your DVD? Don't have one was the answer. How do you plan on the loading the OS? Deer in the headlights. Buy a DVD drive. Next question. Do you have a WIN10 DVD? He was going to use the recovery DVD for his HP laptop. Won't work I said. Buy a copy of WIN10.

So, that's where I left it but he was happy and mom was delighted. He did get an Intel I-5 and a MSI video card but only bought 4G of memory and a 128G SSD. And he plans on gaming. D'OH. Told him you need at least 16G memory and a 512G SSD. And I said if you have any other problems let me know. I have a feeling I will be needed again. But I'm a hero.     

Really no need to add the cost of the DVD to the unit anymore. My recent build doesn't have one. Windoze 10 is best installed from a 16GB or larger FAT32 formatted thumb drive. Follow your nose here but you create an install build with the most current updates already done https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 Cheapest option for a license is then to buy it later from the likes of https://www.scdkey.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-oem-cd-key-global_1227-20.html Try the code 'TD20' for another 20% off.

Go earn legend hero status  ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:15:00 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #39098 on: September 18, 2019, 03:13:39 am »
More crap on my bench. Got some four wire test leads from Fleabay and checked the wires they used. They looked nice and big until you examine the ends.

Of course they are crap - what else did I expect?  :palm: They used shielded wire to make it look like a large gauge. So, more work to do. I'll re-build them myself with better parts and get a refund. The clips are OK I suppose, I'll start from there.

My mods to the same set. I kept the shields and tied them together for 'possible' use. When I brought them I knew the 4mm bananas would be crap so I replaced them with some better quality soldered ones.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Addicted2AnalogTek

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39099 on: September 18, 2019, 03:52:31 am »

My mods to the same set. I kept the shields and tied them together for 'possible' use. When I brought them I knew the 4mm bananas would be crap so I replaced them with some better quality soldered ones.

Nice!  I should look into getting a pair of kelvin clip leads.  Are those the ones for around 12-13 USD?

On a Tek repair note, does anyone have a spare intensity control knob set from a Tek 7000 4-slot mainframe? 

I can get the small one from Qservice with the replacement A intensity/beamfinder pot/switch for my 7854, but I can't find the larger one (PN 366-1164-00) unless I cannibalize a good 7A13 for it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf