Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14407917 times)

ondraN and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #39125 on: September 18, 2019, 12:33:56 pm »
Wow how this thread has grown.  Will take me forever to catch up.
You guys have been having too much fun with this.

Welcome to my world. It's hard to catch up if you miss a few hours much less a few days. That's why I post pretty pics if I can. So to garner the max attention before the page turns. Another tip - post when the page count hits a multiple of 25, that way you will at least be at the top and it'll be 24 post before the page turns.  :-//

Hello I'm really NEW here.  I think this might be where I belong.  My garage has a narrow path.  My attic has a slightly wider one.  The basement has a wide path to the laundry.  I am not allowed to keep stuff on the first or second floor.

Welcome Sam. Yes it appears you do belong here, glad you found us. Just remember the lyrics to "Hotel California" - you can check out but you can never leave.

Oh yea pics of those paths would be nice.

:-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Sam Spastic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39126 on: September 18, 2019, 12:45:55 pm »
Hi my name is Willy.

I am a Test Equipment Addict.

It's been 2 hours since I downloaded a shop manual. :-BROKE
An old fart.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39127 on: September 18, 2019, 12:51:47 pm »
If the eevblog forum is a town, then the TEA thread is probably this place:

>:D

Can confirm. Me at work  :-DD

Hello I'm really NEW here.  I think this might be where I belong.  My garage has a narrow path.  My attic has a slightly wider one.  The basement has a wide path to the laundry.  I am not allowed to keep stuff on the first or second floor.

Anyway I saw the T03 picture and there are some from the 60's  70's  80's and even the 3055 is there.  Of course it might just be a generic photo.

Hello and welcome. You will never leave  :-DD

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39128 on: September 18, 2019, 01:06:36 pm »
Hi my name is Willy.

I am a Test Equipment Addict.

It's been 2 hours since I downloaded a shop manual. :-BROKE

Welcome, Willy!!

I woke up at 5:30 AM to place a bid on item and also purchase something related to TE at least 3 days a week (if not every single day, be it parts or more stuff). My bank account and relationships suffer.  :-DD  :palm:

Enjoy the ride!     :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #39129 on: September 18, 2019, 01:34:32 pm »
I just obtained “hero” status and didn't even have to try hard.

Was talking with downstairs neighbor. She begged me to look at her teenage son's computer. He bought all the parts, assembled it himself, but it ain't working. This could easily turn into a cluster fuck but I agreed to look at it. So I'm starring into this tower which looks like a hand grenade went off inside it. But after carefully examining things it appeared that everything was at least assembled, the fans were going, keyboard and mouse lit up, but nothing on the monitor. Further checking I notice that the HDMI to the monitor was plugged into the motherboard port but he had an MSI video card. Ah-ha! Plug it into the video card and bingo...we are into the BIOS. So it at least boots that far. I look at boot menu. Where is your DVD? Don't have one was the answer. How do you plan on the loading the OS? Deer in the headlights. Buy a DVD drive. Next question. Do you have a WIN10 DVD? He was going to use the recovery DVD for his HP laptop. Won't work I said. Buy a copy of WIN10.

So, that's where I left it but he was happy and mom was delighted. He did get an Intel I-5 and a MSI video card but only bought 4G of memory and a 128G SSD. And he plans on gaming. D'OH. Told him you need at least 16G memory and a 512G SSD. And I said if you have any other problems let me know. I have a feeling I will be needed again. But I'm a hero.     

Really no need to add the cost of the DVD to the unit anymore. My recent build doesn't have one. Windoze 10 is best installed from a 16GB or larger FAT32 formatted thumb drive. Follow your nose here but you create an install build with the most current updates already done https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 Cheapest option for a license is then to buy it later from the likes of https://www.scdkey.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-oem-cd-key-global_1227-20.html Try the code 'TD20' for another 20% off.

Go earn legend hero status  ;)

Even better is free... create the bootable USB, and try the pre-existing Windows 7 or newer product key from the kid's old PC (You can easily extract this by booting it and installing Belarc Advisor or any of a number of OEM Key extraction utilities, but OEM Keys from BIOS have a low success rate). In most cases it should activate and install a similar build (Pro or home) that will be good for the life of the machine, including future maintenance.

If no joy, THEN go to the "Bulk Key" sellers, but be forewarned... while the key they sell may be valid now, these guys do tend to "overbook"; the next time he migrates to a new HDD or upgrades processor or even video card, the key may be blacklisted and not authenticate again.  :palm:

mnem
Yup. Win10 Pro/64 right here: Activated with 10-year-old Win7 Pro/64 Product Key.

Installing WIN10 from a thumb drive or upgrading from an existing WIN7 product key is certainly an alternative but he'll still need a DVD drive because I noticed multiple games laying around with DVD's. I think the best alternative for this kid and to provide learning and experience is get the DVD drive and start there. Then work your way up to the fancy stuff.  ;D

Just to make sure you're aware (and for those playing along at home); the process no longer requires an upgrade from an existing Win7, etc install... you literally just use any legit Win7 & up Product Key when it asks you for the key. You can do this on a clean install on a brand-new build if you want; just be aware that OEM Product Keys (particularly those extracted from BIOS) have low success rate. Still worth a try; worst case you'll have to click "I don't have a product key" then activate post-install using a key from one of those bulk key vendors.

Just wanted to clarify for other folks, as I beat my head  |O against this misunderstanding (and the utter SEA of shit and FUD on the intardnet) for several days on my latest build. I had no idea it was that simple; literally took me 10 minutes to the desktop once I found the product key from my old Win7 machine.  :palm:

mnem
*PSA-ily*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #39130 on: September 18, 2019, 01:36:45 pm »
Some of the digits on my HP 53132A where noticeably dimming, so it was time to R&R the VFD.

Did that already with one of my Agilent 34401As and have a NOS spare display for my HP 53132A already in my pile of repair-queue-material.   :)
Seems to be as easy as with the 34401A. If you have a proper desoldering solution..   8)

Why is a proper desoldering station needed? Isn't it practical to cut the leads and then desolder them individually?

I just use good old fashioned solder wick  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39131 on: September 18, 2019, 01:40:58 pm »
Depends if you want to sell the marginal display on ebay later or not  :-DD

Yup... true Ferengi tradition; selling the corpse at auction to pay for the wake.  :-DD

mnem
"I bid 5 quid for the big toe!"
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39132 on: September 18, 2019, 01:44:27 pm »

Anyway I saw the T03 picture and there are some from the 60's  70's  80's and even the 3055 is there.  Of course it might just be a generic photo.

Don't tease us like that.  :-// PICTURES.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39133 on: September 18, 2019, 01:48:42 pm »
@med: my condolences.  :(

@mnem: looks like you're following the footsteps of this lady:

I dunno... to me it seems like just being a good neighbor. A minimum level of GAF is, IMO, part of the fundamental social contract. :-//

mnem
Of course, in this age where we glorify the ZFG attitude as if it were somehow a virtue, I suppose my POV is a bit archaic...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #39134 on: September 18, 2019, 02:15:34 pm »

I dunno... to me it seems like just being a good neighbor. A minimum level of GAF is, IMO, part of the fundamental social contract. :-//

mnem
Of course, in this age where we glorify the ZFG attitude as if it were somehow a virtue, I suppose my POV is a bit archaic...

I have the impression that behaving like a good human being isn't very popular these days. And I liked how you'd care for your neighbour.

But what is GAF? This site wasn't very helpful to me:
https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/GAF

Same issue with ZFG:
https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ZFG       :-// 

Thanks for any explanation.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39135 on: September 18, 2019, 02:24:56 pm »
Depends if you want to sell the marginal display on ebay later or not  :-DD

Yup... true Ferengi tradition; selling the corpse at auction to pay for the wake.  :-DD

mnem
"I bid 5 quid for the big toe!"

Nailed it  :-DD

Actually as I’m in the IT trade really, the approach is to sell the corpse before it starts to smell, make the guests pay for the wake and make a healthy pile of latinum on top.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39136 on: September 18, 2019, 02:29:08 pm »

mnem

I have the impression that behaving like a good human being isn't very popular these days. And I liked how you'd care for your neighbour.

But what is GAF? This site wasn't very helpful to me:
https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/GAF

Same issue with ZFG:
https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ZFG       :-// 

Thanks for any explanation.  :)

GAF = Give A Fuck, as in "IDGAF" (I don't give a fuck)

ZFG = Zero Fucks Given. Fresh out of fucks to give.

Both imply that you simply just do not care... at all.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=GAF  (see definition 3)
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ZFG&utm_source=search-action
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 02:34:28 pm by Addicted2AnalogTek »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #39137 on: September 18, 2019, 02:40:41 pm »
Acronyms - the brown paper bags for Americans for nasty expressions.  ;D  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Addicted2AnalogTek, mnementh, bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #39138 on: September 18, 2019, 03:04:01 pm »
DILIGAF  :-DD ABSOLUTELY NOT FOR SENSITIVE EARS OR WORK !

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39139 on: September 18, 2019, 03:05:09 pm »

Don't tease us like that.  :-// PICTURES.  :-DD
I bet he has the good ones lying on their back, so that we will not see them and pester him about!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39140 on: September 18, 2019, 03:07:45 pm »
Acronyms - the brown paper bags for Americans for nasty expressions.  ;D  :-DD

Surf around on that Urban Dictionary website if you want to get the full scope of the nastiness from the nastiest of the nasty yankees!!  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #39141 on: September 18, 2019, 04:07:00 pm »
DILIGAF  :-DD ABSOLUTELY NOT FOR SENSITIVE EARS OR WORK !

DILLIGAF, the British way:   :D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39142 on: September 18, 2019, 04:26:08 pm »
Remember when mnem was going to send me a B&K function generator and frequency counter? Well today the box showed up. MUCH bigger and heavier than I had anticipated. And no wonder. Look what was inside.  :o :o  I guess he wanted to lighten the load to Canada.  :-DD

Among the assorted parts and odd stuff we have:

B&K 3010 Function Generator
B&K 1801 Frequency Counter
Heath IM-1202 2.5 digit DMM
Heath SG-5240 Color Bar Generator
Texas Instruments TI-95 Procalc (I think that's gonna result in being disowned by Nixiefreqq.  :-DD)

Thanks pal....I'm somewhat dumbfounded at the moment.  :P ;D

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #39143 on: September 18, 2019, 04:37:36 pm »
Remember when mnem was going to send me a B&K function generator and frequency counter? Well today the box showed up. MUCH bigger and heavier than I had anticipated. And no wonder. Look what was inside.  :o :o  I guess he wanted to lighten the load to Canada.  :-DD

Does this mean we can all offload our junk excess inventory to your address now?  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39144 on: September 18, 2019, 04:39:03 pm »

Does this mean we can all offload our junk excess inventory to your address now?  :-DD

Bring it. I got a whole TEA closet to fill up.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39145 on: September 18, 2019, 04:41:12 pm »
Here's the Heath IM-1202 connected to a 10V reference right at power up and no warm up. I'll let it cook for a while and see if it comes down.

Edit...yep...it is. Already down to 10.3V

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39146 on: September 18, 2019, 04:53:47 pm »

Among the assorted parts and odd stuff we have:

B&K 3010 Function Generator
B&K 1801 Frequency Counter
Heath IM-1202 2.5 digit DMM
Heath SG-5240 Color Bar Generator
Texas Instruments TI-95 Procalc (I think that's gonna result in being disowned by Nixiefreqq.  :-DD)

Thanks pal....I'm somewhat dumbfounded at the moment.  :P ;D

naaaaaaaaaaaw.  the = key in the bottom right corner makes it all good.

you keep posting pics of your tek scope adventures and we will be solid.  (even though i don't have a single piece of tek in basement)

just don't let me hear any rumors about you raping nixie tubes out of counters to build a clock.  that would end our bromance in a usec.

ps  bd139 was on thin ice with his new icon, but the chooch went and fixed an hp1740a.  try as i might.....there is no way to hate him now.   

free range primate

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #39147 on: September 18, 2019, 04:54:03 pm »

Lookup Voltraft MS 9150 or MS 9160, or Metex MS 9150 or MS 9160

I own one of them. They are quite big and heavy. Often sold as defective, because the seller is not aware, that the multimeter is not mains powered, but has a seperate battery in a compartment on the backside.

I did put a TCXO in the couter board as the reference.
Also adjusted the fixed power supply from 15V to 13,8 V.

Chris

This is useful information, thankyou.

@McBryce, I saw the calibration sticker on the one you posted a pic of and thought "Why bother?"  :-DD

On a more annoying note, I missed a nice bundle of swag today on fleabay to a pesky sniper  :rant:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39148 on: September 18, 2019, 05:18:59 pm »
Here's some softcore Tek pern for ya....

I'm about to dig into this 475 vertical calibration, find and replace the faulty ceramic trimmers, then calibrate the vertical and adjust the other circuits as needed.
Today is my last day off for the next two weeks so I'm hoping to get it finished up today.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39149 on: September 18, 2019, 05:37:04 pm »
:
ps  bd139 was on thin ice with his new icon, but the chooch went and fixed an hp1740a.  try as i might.....there is no way to hate him now.

Give me a few more days  >:D

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf