Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14924421 times)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #39650 on: September 25, 2019, 09:15:30 am »
At least - something without nixies.

Speaking of which, do you guys have a nixies clock? I can't decide if I want one or not.

Yes, built my own (DCF77 controlled, not suitable for places that children get get near). The wooden housing was the foot of a sofa
that we had just got rid of. And YES you NEED one :D

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, factory

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #39651 on: September 25, 2019, 09:25:02 am »
No Vegans allowed. Tonight's 'free' steak due to a stuff up by the Butcher 600g+ of red meat  ;D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39652 on: September 25, 2019, 10:07:10 am »

(Attachment Link)

:popcorn:

If only I didn't have this hearty dislike for all things with the name GRUNDIG on it ... ;)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #39653 on: September 25, 2019, 10:17:40 am »
Why? What's wrong with GRUNDIG?  :-//
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39654 on: September 25, 2019, 10:40:22 am »
Before I became a real engineer ("zweiter Bildungsweg") I was a radio and tv technician. My dislike stems from repairing lots of their products. There certainly were worse, like Kuba or Loewe, but somehow I just didn't like them - starting at the very top, Max Grundig (no, I've never met him).
Telefunken, Saba, Nordmende, Philips have left no such bad impression with me.

Grundig had one color tv chassis with a big and heavy isolation transformer and modules houses in metal boxes. Having to get that up to the 5th story in Stuttgart's old houses (no lift, of course) was no enviable job, even if 2 men were carrying. With the rounded edges that were en vogue then, the damn monster always wanted to slip from your fingers.

I do not regret entering school again.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39655 on: September 25, 2019, 10:45:24 am »
Grundig were great. My parents bought a Grundig TV that passed out after a year. After three repair attempts they just gave us a new one. Didn't even take the old one away! Guess who got it for parts?  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #39656 on: September 25, 2019, 10:55:52 am »
Before I became a real engineer ("zweiter Bildungsweg") I was a radio and tv technician. My dislike stems from repairing lots of their products. There certainly were worse, like Kuba or Loewe, but somehow I just didn't like them - starting at the very top, Max Grundig (no, I've never met him).
Telefunken, Saba, Nordmende, Philips have left no such bad impression with me.

Grundig had one color tv chassis with a big and heavy isolation transformer and modules houses in metal boxes. Having to get that up to the 5th story in Stuttgart's old houses (no lift, of course) was no enviable job, even if 2 men were carrying. With the rounded edges that were en vogue then, the damn monster always wanted to slip from your fingers.

I do not regret entering school again.

Same here. I learned "radio and tv technician" end of the 80's before I went to university.
I always wanted to become a radio and tv technician.  :-+
But I didn't have that worse memories regarding to Grundig. I've repaired several  devices from them.
But since our store sold much more Telefunken, Saba, Nordmende, Loewe or Braun stuff, I did not have
that much contact with Grundig devices.  ;)

And I liked always the measurement equipment from Grundig, for example the signal tracer they built (the SV41).

But I'm with you about those bloody heavy TV sets. Loewe had them as well. And not to speak of the good Sony Trinitrons  :rant:

Edit:
David Levinson from "Independence Day": "Every repairman can do this, dad."  ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 11:26:12 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39657 on: September 25, 2019, 11:03:54 am »
I owned 2x 21" FD trinitrons for a bit. Totally agree there.  :scared:

Edit: when I took them off my desk, I saw the desk had sagged!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39658 on: September 25, 2019, 11:13:27 am »
I am surrounded by engineers again today.  ::) Should I get the popcorn ready?  >:D

I'm off to the doctor's for my 6 month checkup. You guys play nice.   :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #39659 on: September 25, 2019, 11:27:13 am »
I am surrounded by engineers again today.  ::) Should I get the popcorn ready?  >:D

"Yes Dad!"

;)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39660 on: September 25, 2019, 11:50:55 am »
 :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #39661 on: September 25, 2019, 11:52:52 am »
I get where you're coming from... I only dabble, so not really proficient in ANY of them.  :o

The GPIOs on STM32Fxxx are actually a bit of a marvel. As bad of an idea as they SEEM, in practice they really do seem to work better than advertised.

In all honesty, debugging isn't that much of a problem thanks to the nature of the bootloader. As long as your driver installs both serial and DFU interfaces correctly, which you can easily determine through Device Manager, it's going to connect and respond from within the terminal. If you have a comms problem it's the driver, period.

I wasn't trying to be a dick. It seems obvious to me that STM32 dominance is pretty much inevitable, so if you're in the "making stuff using uPCs" game it's better to get into them sooner rather than later.  My own weak skillz is all that stands in MY way. ;)

As for PowerShell... My own weak skillz is all that stands in my way.  :-DD

mnem
*packing my life away*

100% agree on STM32 dominance. It’s cheap, fast and available in crazy quantities. My next project will rely on a Cortex M4 so that should be interesting and will probably head down that road.

PowerShell is something I recommend people walk away from. It has more nuances than an unusually highly nuanced thing from planet nuance. It’s so vastly different to anything else that it has a lot of newly discovered mistakes baked in. They should have started with plan 9’s rc and worked out how to cram objects in that. In principle it’s a good idea let down by a steamer of an implementation :(

Trawl GITHub for libraries. You'll shit yourself.:-DD   If it's been dreamt of for Ardu, somebody has made a library for STM32.

Yes, it's horrible. Unfortunately, it is still the default for mass-management of AD clients and is what everybody is still taught in school because of how heavily MS subsidizes education with free material. And the orgs who've been infected with MS HelpDesk Ticketing or whatever they call it now (which seems to be at least half the planet, I'm guessing because it is also what is taught in school) love PowerShell because of how similarly the environments think. Both are heavily weighted towards management-think as opposed to engineer-think, neither of which aspect are readily accessible to normal human beings with an ACTUAL SOUL.  |O

Spend any amount of time working Corporate IT, and YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. You may deposit your soul in the compost shredder conveniently located right by the employee entrance. :o

mnem
moo?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
« Reply #39662 on: September 25, 2019, 12:06:53 pm »
EMACS is not alone an editor, it is a complete OS.  ::)  >:D

It's almost a complete OS, only a good editor is missing.

SCNR

The following users thanked this post: Andy Watson, BU508A, mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #39663 on: September 25, 2019, 12:07:35 pm »

You making us a treat? Make sure you don't forget the coke.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39664 on: September 25, 2019, 12:10:08 pm »
vi/vim/gvim since ages
When I manage to do something useful with vi I open a bottle of Prosecco everytime. It's hard to learn it, but it's very powerful once you manage to control that blind beast.

My problem is two days later I forgot everything and I have to start from beginner level every time.

I have exactly this problem EVERY DAMNED TIME I sit down at a console. ANY console. For ANY environment.  :-DD

vim user here. Spent at least 4 hours a day in it and have done for over 20 years. It's built into my firmware now.

And talking of which, my day today is evaluation of centos 8. Fun fun fun. Can't be arsed!

You are forgiven. Just this once.;)   This... explains SO-O-O MUCH. :-DD

blasphemer.  :P

mnem
*stirring the TEA*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39665 on: September 25, 2019, 12:21:18 pm »

Popcorn chicken, maybe. Popcorn shrimp HELLS YES!!!

Play nice...? Hello... I'm mnem. Have we met...?

mnem
 >:D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39666 on: September 25, 2019, 12:35:00 pm »

mnem
All things are relative.

i made a calibrator unit for  350.000 scovilles.

(Attachment Link)

Yikes I spend a couple of days away from the forum and when I logged in this morning I find 9 whole pages waiting for me so I'll have tp speed read them and catch up.

As to the matter of a calibrator unit for 350.000 scovilles, then it springs to my mind that only a dragon could attest to its accuracy  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39667 on: September 25, 2019, 12:40:20 pm »
Yeah incredibly busy and distracted. I had the reminder pop up on my phone "auction ends in 14m" but between then and it finishing I put out about three child related fires  :-DD. I'm basically a full time single parent for three as well as a full time IT contractor at the moment  :--
A modern day Mrs Doubtfire then.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39668 on: September 25, 2019, 12:44:55 pm »
@med, that really does look really nice, good job, keep this up and all of your TEA kit in your lab will soon be colour coordinated  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39669 on: September 25, 2019, 12:48:25 pm »
I wasn't looking for another scope but this appeared yesterday, it looked complete, nice condition and in working order. I put in an offer then got a counteroffer of £60, I resisted for about half an hour but failed and ending up buying it.
(Attachment Link)

David
Looks good and I hope that you enjoy it when you receive it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39670 on: September 25, 2019, 12:51:16 pm »
ok.....seriously guys.....talk me off the ledge.

it weighs 64 lbs!  more even than the 141t that went out the door years ago because it was too bulky and too heavy.

(BUT it is easily within local pick up range.)

somebody tell me it is useless and prone to spontaneous combustion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hewlett-Packard-8569B-0-01-to-22-GHz-Spectrum-Analyzer/264435222431?epid=2254505184&hash=item3d9191479f:g:5H4AAOSwOKldWdDx

free range primate

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39671 on: September 25, 2019, 01:01:28 pm »

it weighs 64 lbs!  more even than the 141t that went out the door years ago because it was too bulky and too heavy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hewlett-Packard-8569B-0-01-to-22-GHz-Spectrum-Analyzer/264435222431?epid=2254505184&hash=item3d9191479f:g:5H4AAOSwOKldWdDx

But it covers up to 22GHz and has a cool 7-seg display and lots of buttons!!!

I'm not helping am I?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39672 on: September 25, 2019, 01:03:19 pm »
Ok so after much research, I just ordered a Peak LCR45 and not a 3d printer. Well not yet anyway!
I think you did the right thing, the LCR45 will be used far far more than a 3D printer would be. I like you would love a 3D printer,. but cannot justify it either space wise as I have zero space for it and I can't say that if I had one that it would really be used enough to make it viable.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39673 on: September 25, 2019, 01:06:21 pm »
Talking of that, it just arrived and the battery was flat  :palm:. Off out to Tesco quick  :--

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39674 on: September 25, 2019, 01:07:01 pm »

But it covers up to 22GHz and has a cool 7-seg display and lots of buttons!!!

I'm not helping am I?

McBryce.

no you are not helping.

you were supposed to tell me to run like the wind before my vertebrae get crushed.
free range primate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf