Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14812081 times)

marcumr, TERRA Operative, patrickvdb, shakalnokturn and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #41150 on: October 13, 2019, 09:42:55 pm »
More expensive and considerably less rigid looking than something half the price.
Killer support though. Prusa has earned its good reputation for sure.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41151 on: October 13, 2019, 09:49:12 pm »
Yeah very true. I’m not bothered about support myself but if I was a business user I’d jump on it right away.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41152 on: October 13, 2019, 09:53:37 pm »
To the other 3D printer noobs here. Things I've learnt in the last 72 hours:

1 - Ender 3 owners: Self-sticking surface is a lie. Coat the surface with hair spray or "3D printer sticky whatever", unless the model has a sufficient lower surface, the model will start wandering.
3 - Again for Ender 3 owners (and possibly others): Just because the bed was level 2 hours ago, before the last print, doesn't mean that it's still level. Check it between every print.
3 - Model creation: The learning curve for Blender is slightly higher than FreeCAD, but you'll soon approach the limits of what FreeCAD can do, whereas Blender can create whatever you want. If everything you are making is a variation of a cube then FreeCAD is fine, but if your model requires curves, spheres or complex surfaces, then Blender is your friend. Take the time to learn it.

McBryce.
Blender isn't really designed to work with solids or accurate dimensions. That's what CAD applications like Solidworks and Inventor are for. Though both program groups have their strengths and weaknesses.

No neither of them are, but for "real" design there really isn't any freeware solution that comes close to AutoCAD or SolidWorks.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #41153 on: October 13, 2019, 10:28:34 pm »
Great Escape update no 10:

Having a good old-fashioned wonder-white-bred dinner at a Bob Evans just outside of Columbus, OH.

Then off to Cleveland. 

mnem
*pit stop*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41154 on: October 13, 2019, 11:01:32 pm »

Having a good old-fashioned wonder-white-bred dinner at a Bob Evans just outside of Columbus, OH.

Then off to Cleveland. 

mnem
*pit stop*

For US roads and drivers, that is good progress.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #41155 on: October 14, 2019, 12:53:38 am »

Then off to Cleveland. 

mnem
*pit stop*

Watch out @Med he seems to be heading your way with a well fed invasion force  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41156 on: October 14, 2019, 02:09:31 am »

Then off to Cleveland. 

mnem
*pit stop*

Watch out @Med he seems to be heading your way with a well fed invasion force  :-DD

Huh?  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41157 on: October 14, 2019, 02:47:29 am »
I should have got out my black texta to 'fix' the map but this looks like the path of a Tornado  ;)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41158 on: October 14, 2019, 03:07:33 am »
Oh OK, gotcha. I'm a little slow here tonight.  |O

I'm not sure where he's heading to in Canada. From Ohio the closest entry point would be at Buffalo/Niagara in Western NYS. I'm clear across the other side of the state down towards NYC so I'm safe.    :-DD

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41159 on: October 14, 2019, 03:23:10 am »

I'm not sure where he's heading to in Canada. From Ohio the closest entry point would be at Buffalo/Niagara in Western NYS. I'm clear across the other side of the state down towards NYC so I'm safe.    :-DD

If I remember correctly, he said he is going to Toronto.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #41160 on: October 14, 2019, 03:29:57 am »
Looks like he's heading close to where my daughter spent 6 months, not far from Halifax, Nova Scotia, she and my wife said it was lovely.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #41161 on: October 14, 2019, 03:39:53 am »
This week is shaping up to be a good TEA week. Got a couple of P6042 current probes coming, along with some extra parts for them so hopefully I can repair the one I have. If not > parts mule.

not to mention...HP 8672A 2-18 GHz synthesized signal generator. Got it from a fellow I've done a lot of business with it, so I expect to spend at least half an hour opening his nuclear holocaust proof packing. Everything I've ever bought from him has arrived in perfect condition though, so it's worth it.  :-+

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41162 on: October 14, 2019, 03:48:35 am »
This week is shaping up to be a good TEA week. Got a couple of P6042 current probes coming, along with some extra parts for them so hopefully I can repair the one I have. If not > parts mule.

not to mention...HP 8672A 2-18 GHz synthesized signal generator. Got it from a fellow I've done a lot of business with it, so I expect to spend at least half an hour opening his nuclear holocaust proof packing. Everything I've ever bought from him has arrived in perfect condition though, so it's worth it.  :-+

Half an hour fighting packaging vs half a day repairing broken plastic and bent metal. That's a trade I'll take any time.

The following users thanked this post: factory, 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41163 on: October 14, 2019, 04:10:23 am »
Just a quick update on the great escape: We're in Cincinnati, visiting an old friend before heading out to my cousin's place in Cleveland. A little visiting, watching some of the old shows... Good times.

mnem
 :=\
Good times indeed. How long before you reach you new home?
It’s not concrete. We’re taking our time, visiting friends & family along the way. A week or two probably.

More expensive and considerably less rigid looking than something half the price.
Killer support though. Prusa has earned its good reputation for sure.

If you design with civilized materials like 8020 or OpenBuilds V-Groove extrusion or even a single AL plate design like the GeeeTech, you don’t NEED to offer nearly as much support. At this point, I honestly think the only thing keeping Prusa from designing around these materials is inertia & obstinacy.  :palm: The only thing they have that I’m even marginally interested in is the SL1, and I think there are a number of better designs out there already.  :-//

Great Escape update no 10: Having a good old-fashioned wonder-white-bred dinner at a Bob Evans just outside of Columbus, OH. Then off to Cleveland. 

mnem
*pit stop*

The kids are like locusts, I swear. Even if I’d remembered the Igloo full of bacon & sausage sticks, I doubt I’d have gotten more than a couple bites; no way in ‘ell it’d have lasted as long as 2 days. :-DD

We’re going to be a lot closer than that. Planning to go to NYC & visit my dad for the boi’s birthday after we rest a little here in Cleveland for a couple days; see how the old family homestead in the Finger Lakes is doing either on the way out or back this way to cross over at Niagara Falls. We haven’t decided yet for sure.

mnem
muahahaha.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41164 on: October 14, 2019, 04:23:14 am »
Allegedly it is legit to modify Weather maps and tout them as Fact so modded  >:D

You will note I was good and didn't go ..... & balls  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41165 on: October 14, 2019, 04:31:16 am »
That’s uncharacteristically sporting of you bean; must be feeling sorry for the poor road-weary old dwagon.  :-DD

mnem
Not that I don’t DESERVE a good blasting with both barrels most of the time...  ;)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41166 on: October 14, 2019, 06:18:21 am »

We’re going to be a lot closer than that. Planning to go to NYC & visit my dad for the boi’s birthday after we rest a little here in Cleveland for a couple days; see how the old family homestead in the Finger Lakes is doing either on the way out or back this way to cross over at Niagara Falls. We haven’t decided yet for sure.

mnem
muahahaha.  >:D

Oh brother.....I better tell everyone I know to lock up their women and.....bacon.  :-DD

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #41167 on: October 14, 2019, 08:20:44 am »
Can you dragons give me a hint for my first personal website and maybe business one in the future?

I have already bought a domain (only to have my @mydomain at FastMail) and I am looking for something to host my website.

Dave was using those guys for this forum:
https://www.hostgator.com/

I just want to start with the right foot.

Anyone with experience with FastMail domain management integration?

Thanks, if you come in Munich PM me you will have a beer for free.

PS: I don't know where to ask otherwiese, General Chat?

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41168 on: October 14, 2019, 08:22:56 am »
I use Fastmail. Fastmail will host a static web site for you from their file storage. Does the job and is cheap and easy. Fastmail domains you just point your root DNS servers at fastmail and it does it all for you.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #41169 on: October 14, 2019, 08:28:09 am »
Can you dragons give me a hint for my first personal website and maybe business one in the future?

I have already bought a domain (only to have my @mydomain at FastMail) and I am looking for something to host my website.

Dave was using those guys for this forum:
https://www.hostgator.com/

I just want to start with the right foot.

Anyone with experience with FastMail domain management integration?

Thanks, if you come in Munich PM me you will have a beer for free.

PS: I don't know where to ask otherwiese, General Chat?

Your question has zero relevance to TEA, and very little to electronics or embedded software.

You would get more (and possibly more knowledgable) responses from a wider audience if you post in a suitable forum.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41170 on: October 14, 2019, 08:36:52 am »
Dunno. I gave him a pretty succinct answer...

This thread is only 2/3 on topic :)

Talking of which, TG210 dispatched, next 1740A foot printing. Bit of a boring month for TE. Next event here is CATS in Croydon. Last year I got rather cold and an exploding Tektronix 2235. Lets hope this year is better.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41171 on: October 14, 2019, 08:43:44 am »
I had to make a choice this past weekend....

Spend the weekend with the lady whom I haven't seen since July......or........go to the big Ham fest in Connecticut on Sunday.

Did I make the right decision?  :-DD 

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41172 on: October 14, 2019, 08:53:15 am »
Dunno. I gave him a pretty succinct answer...

This thread is only 2/3 on topic :)

Talking of which, TG210 dispatched, next 1740A foot printing. Bit of a boring month for TE. Next event here is CATS in Croydon. Last year I got rather cold and an exploding Tektronix 2235. Lets hope this year is better.

That's a lofty aim. I reckon it might be more like 1/3  ;)

Re webhosting hit up gnif maybe, Geoff is currently looking after the backend for the forum?

Re hosting

For Business in the past I have setup webhosting with a local as I wanted in this case the ability to ring them and talk to them if there was a problem. In this case daily backups, support 24/7 and up time were important. The other option I have used and setup a Forum on was AWS but the cloud backend was a bit of a PITA with the software integration so not necessarily the best option for compatibility but for security and uptime excellent, support not so much.

For a personal website bottom line pricing is more important in most cases over daily backups, support etc. So hostgator, godaddy and their ilk are where to aim.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41173 on: October 14, 2019, 08:58:01 am »

Spend the weekend with the lady whom I haven't seen since July......or........go to the big Ham fest in Connecticut on Sunday.

Speaking from experience of the female of the species, no  :-DD

For Business in the past I have setup webhosting with a local as I wanted in this case the ability to ring them and talk to them if there was a problem. In this case daily backups, support 24/7 and up time were important. The other option I have used and setup a Forum on was AWS but the cloud backend was a bit of a PITA with the software integration so not necessarily the best option for compatibility but for security and uptime excellent, support not so much.

Yeah avoid AWS. To get a static site out you need to understand S3, CloudFront and IAM and have your DNS in Route53 or it's a PITA. But that's a PITA itself.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41174 on: October 14, 2019, 09:00:01 am »

And? How was the Ham Fest? Any pictures? Pick up anything good?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf