Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14823195 times)

mnementh and 188 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #41225 on: October 15, 2019, 01:58:30 am »
And the reason evilbay showed me the Heathkit Hybrid Horror was this now new addition to the shack  8) eBay auction: #323941274905

Not far from me and a seller I have brought from before so all should be well. One project I was planning to build now can come off 'the list'.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139, factory, Kosmic

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #41226 on: October 15, 2019, 02:21:00 am »
Found the HP-16C I keep at work dead today.  :-\ Turns out the knucklehead I bought it from had put LR44 alkaline cells in it. One shows early signs of leaking. Got em out and replaced with a trio of proper silver oxide cells. Apparently, Best Buy is a good source of new silver oxide cells that work on the voyager calculators, so going to go stack up tomorrow.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, bd139, grbk

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41227 on: October 15, 2019, 03:31:56 am »
And the reason evilbay showed me the Heathkit Hybrid Horror was this now new addition to the shack  8) eBay auction: #323941274905

Not far from me and a seller I have brought from before so all should be well. One project I was planning to build now can come off 'the list'.

Nice! I wanted one of those but they are always kind of expensive. Ordered one of those cheap ThaiKit curve tracer instead.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41228 on: October 15, 2019, 03:38:48 am »

Nice! I wanted one of those but they are always kind of expensive. Ordered one of those cheap ThaiKit curve tracer instead.

I had started to assemble bits including a fairly HV transformer, plugs and bits and had a bunch of references on making one but this will more than fulfill my needs and save me the time and effort.

Some sort of mount Lasered/3D Printed hybrid shelf/bracket off the Tek Stand is sort of the plan but see when it arrives.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #41229 on: October 15, 2019, 03:48:51 am »
This thread is only 2/3 on topic :)

Looking at the ~75 posts since 41100, about 27 are clearly not TEA related, so the 1/3 isn't a bad estimate - even if 1/3 does feel too optimistic at times :(

I need to up my game... :-DD

Seriously tho... there is something to be said for the “casual conversation at the pub with friends” aspect of this memespace.

Every question comes with trust issues; both of the knowledgeability of the respondent and often more importantly, of what axe the respondent may have to grind.

Most of the folks that frequent this space have demonstrated that for the most part, the biggest axe they carry is their wit, and more often than not, it is used primarily to enhance their curmudgeonly apprehension rather than to drive any avaricious ulterior motive.

In short, there is “do you know what you’re talking about” trust, and there’s “are you steering me towards/away from a solution for your own benefit” trust. Both are important.

For better or worse, we make it work, and the result is special.  :-/O :-DMM :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #41230 on: October 15, 2019, 03:49:58 am »
The big question obviously is whether the Canucks will let mnementh in. Mnem, the traditional greeting is "I'm sorry" and when bacon is mentioned prepare for a disappointment.

Yeah, the bacon was the first alarm that went off when I first heard mnem was moving to Canada. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #41231 on: October 15, 2019, 05:00:19 am »

The 3121 is a nice piece of kit. I have been looking for one for quite a while but could never bring myself to pay the going price. Last year I bought a B+K 501A at a ham fest for 35USD, repaired it and satisfied the itch, at least temporarily.
specialization is for insects.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41232 on: October 15, 2019, 05:39:16 am »
I have some restriction of my 'spare' time so to some degree getting a working bit of kit over building it factors into the price too. This is more cool toy than serious need in my case too.

More time for Lasering, 3D Printing and making hardware packs and drinking Beer and .......  >:D

Reckon the joints are just right, Jarrah is the material.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #41233 on: October 15, 2019, 07:56:10 am »
Jarrah is a nice timber.   :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41234 on: October 15, 2019, 07:57:07 am »
That’s looking pretty good that. The way this is going I’m going to have a laser table next year  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #41235 on: October 15, 2019, 08:00:18 am »
That’s looking pretty good that. The way this is going I’m going to have a laser table next year  :-DD
Can I not tempt you with other/better TEA ?  :-//

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #41236 on: October 15, 2019, 08:01:29 am »

Hey ... let me catch up before you go charging ahead!  I've still got to settle in on 3D printing.

Oh - it's hell in a handbasket for me.   :scared:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, beanflying

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41237 on: October 15, 2019, 08:04:47 am »

That's still on the list  :-DD

I don't actually need one though at the moment. I managed to bodge through the last problem with a homebrew SWR meter and my AWG for £5 total expenditure  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41238 on: October 15, 2019, 08:08:02 am »
I managed to bodge through the last problem with a homebrew SWR meter and my AWG for £5 total expenditure  :-DD
Good luck getting your AWG to 3.2 GHz !  :P

Just playing widda new model..............
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41239 on: October 15, 2019, 08:13:10 am »
Yeah it certainly won't go that high. I actually used a chinese Si5351A board and a simple LPF to get something up to 180MHz though which was pretty handy. Surprisingly good little chip that is for RF stuff.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #41240 on: October 15, 2019, 08:34:45 am »

That's still on the list  :-DD

I don't actually need one though at the moment. I managed to bodge through the last problem with a homebrew SWR meter and my AWG for £5 total expenditure  :-DD

Noise source, SDR dongle, splitter/combiner, Python, cost approx £30 will get you to 1.5GHz, with limited dynamic range.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:40:13 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41241 on: October 15, 2019, 08:51:13 am »
Yeah I have an RTLSDR dongle here somewhere. Haven't used it yet. Good option though for sure.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41242 on: October 15, 2019, 09:01:18 am »
Okay......I may be a bit (a lot) DSO challenged but I'm pretty sure my SDS 1052DL won't do that. Although I could be wrong because I don't know what the hell that plot is supposed to represent.  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41243 on: October 15, 2019, 09:05:52 am »
Different domain. That's frequency domain. X axis = frequency, Y axis = power usually.  So that's analysing an antenna by the looks, the S11 parameter. S11 = reflected power back from antenna. Blue is represented as SWR, Yellow as return loss by the looks, Purple is a Smith Chart which shows the complex impedance over the frequency range (only VNA does complex impedance and measures more than basic S-parameters)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 09:08:27 am by bd139 »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41244 on: October 15, 2019, 09:06:21 am »
Okay......I may be a bit (a lot) DSO challenged but I'm pretty sure my SDS 1052DL won't do that. Although I could be wrong because I don't know what the hell that plot is supposed to represent.  :-//

It's a vector analysis on a smith chart. I'd be extremely suprised if ANY DSO could do that :D

I assume Tautech is trying out some new SVA/VNA from Siglent?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41245 on: October 15, 2019, 09:08:33 am »
OK, got it. Now that explains why I have a deer in the headlights look on my face.  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41246 on: October 15, 2019, 09:17:12 am »
Different domain. That's frequency domain. X axis = frequency, Y axis = power usually.  So that's analysing an antenna by the looks, the S11 parameter. S11 = reflected power back from antenna. Blue is represented as SWR, Yellow as return loss by the looks, Purple is a Smith Chart which shows the complex impedance over the frequency range (only VNA does complex impedance and measures more than basic S-parameters)
Yep all that of 2.4 GHz WiFi whip antenna using the VNA mode of the new SVA1032X.
But this thing is a spectrum analyser too !  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41247 on: October 15, 2019, 09:17:54 am »
OK, got it. Now that explains why I have a deer in the headlights look on my face.  :-DD

This will make sense to you and I more or other non RF nerds  >:D

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41248 on: October 15, 2019, 09:21:31 am »
Yep all that of 2.4 GHz WiFi whip antenna using the VNA mode of the new SVA1032X.

If I wasn't such a cheap ass you'd have bankrupted me by now  :-DD

That looks like the plot of my antenna after Mr Tree ate it. Revenge is going well there  >:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41249 on: October 15, 2019, 09:34:30 am »

If I wasn't such a cheap ass you'd have bankrupted me by now  :-DD

That looks like the plot of my antenna after Mr Tree ate it. Revenge is going well there  >:D

RF is a "no go" zone for me. Too much voodoo wizardry.  :o ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf