Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14782150 times)

Robert763, morris6 and 194 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #41300 on: October 16, 2019, 08:56:31 am »
A long time ago. Haven't seen it around in particular either in the local hardware stores. Will add another few coats to the coaster before I decide on a finish for the other bits under construction in the Jarrah.
I’d reckon if you asked for Tung oil at HW stores these days they’d look at ya funny.
It’s an old product but most should still be able to get it.
I use it on rifle stocks but it takes some time to dry.
A thinned base coat gives a bit of depth and it rubs up ok.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #41301 on: October 16, 2019, 09:01:37 am »
Actually just checked and Bunnings (large Oz Hardware chain for those non locals) still carry it $43/L https://www.bunnings.com.au/feast-watson-1l-tung-oil_p1571723

Plenty of options out there, if I had gone with a lighter colour ply Shellac and even a modern top coat comes up well. Most likely stick with what I have providing it look good after another application and buff.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41302 on: October 16, 2019, 11:14:19 am »
1740A feet all done now. Had to wait for some funny ass gun totin' 6-32 screws to turn up before I could attach the last one.

Before:

After:

Also got some 1/4" 6-32 contersunk heads so I can fill all the missing ones on my 400E

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41303 on: October 16, 2019, 11:22:39 am »
Grabbed a small stash of HP type screws a while back too. It is getting harder to get anything non metric or Whitworth. We still get some UNF and UNC's turn up on gear so with pain some can be sourced locally but the pain level is rising.

Looking at the feet I made them a bit chunky but it will make it stable if you are floating it I guess.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41304 on: October 16, 2019, 11:35:17 am »
They're pretty solid feet. Don't think they are too chunky at all. I've never seen an authentic one before that isn't smashed to bits and I don't think anyone has so they look fine  :-DD. Thing is rock solid on them.

As for American screws, we have these guys who do not insane quantities of screws of all sorts: https://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/ ... For 10x 6-32 washers, 5x 6-32 7/8" pan head screws and 5x 6-32 1/4" countersunk it was £2.76 including delivery and arrived in 2 days :-+

Edit: boring one but my TG210 arrived. Perfect condition. Nothing wrong with it at all. £35 well spent.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 11:43:41 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41305 on: October 16, 2019, 11:43:42 am »
Between 2 working 465B's, 1 working 475A, and a duff 465 and 465B I was able to scrounge enough decent, but not perfect, feet but eventually I'll either have to buy some or......not going there.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41306 on: October 16, 2019, 11:45:23 am »
You could always print some  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #41307 on: October 16, 2019, 11:45:32 am »
Tiny TEA item 6 channel PIC based datalogger came from Malaysia via one of it's Northern provinces Germany to Oz eBay auction: #391932720671 Surely DHL does enough traffic to have an Asian hub  :palm: Software is simple and functional -thread to follow when I clear away the Plywood.

Also a Decade Ratio Transformer in a Box at the local Post Office but that can be tomorrows toy as I am to lazy to walk the 200m to get it due to low caffeine and high CBF to put shoes on .... (Attachment Link)

Am I missing something here? This doesn't appear to have any onboard storage; so more of an ADC with software-specific output rather than simple timed or CSV serial format, right?

Interesting as it does greatly simplify importing data into more powerful processing tools, I guess... but you still have to connect it directly to some computing device that can store the data until retrieved, correct?

mnem
   Things to do with the inner scrap bits of Laser Cutting Extractors. New Bench Coaster, single application of Beeswax and Oil so far 8)

Ahhh, bean... you're a h00t! You'll have me buying a laser cutter yet... *starts shopping used LightForges just to make bean's nose wrinkle up in disgust*

They're pretty solid feet. Don't think they are too chunky at all. I've never seen an authentic one before that isn't smashed to bits and I don't think anyone has so they look fine  :-DD. Thing is rock solid on them.

As for American screws, we have these guys who do not insane quantities of screws of all sorts: https://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/ ... For 10x 6-32 washers, 5x 6-32 7/8" pan head screws and 5x 6-32 1/4" countersunk it was £2.76 including delivery and arrived in 2 days :-+

bd... just... get screwed already!!! :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41308 on: October 16, 2019, 11:47:34 am »
Between 2 working 465B's, 1 working 475A, and a duff 465 and 465B I was able to scrounge enough decent, but not perfect, feet but eventually I'll either have to buy some or......not going there.  :-DD

you need to buy a 3d printer you need to buy a 3d printer you need to buy a 3d printer you need to buy a 3d printer

:-DD Or you just need to get a design that works and farm them out  ;)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41309 on: October 16, 2019, 11:48:14 am »

NOT GOING THERE

:-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41310 on: October 16, 2019, 11:49:36 am »

you need to buy a 3d printer you need to buy a 3d printer you need to buy a 3d printer you need to buy a 3d printer

:-DD Or you just need to get a design that works and farm them out  ;)

:-+ ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41311 on: October 16, 2019, 11:50:27 am »
But think of what you could do with this roll of BLUE PLA?  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mr. Scram

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41312 on: October 16, 2019, 11:51:26 am »

LMAO.....nice try.  :o :-+

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41313 on: October 16, 2019, 11:51:31 am »
Tiny TEA item 6 channel PIC based datalogger came from Malaysia via one of it's Northern provinces Germany to Oz eBay auction: #391932720671 Surely DHL does enough traffic to have an Asian hub  :palm: Software is simple and functional -thread to follow when I clear away the Plywood.

Also a Decade Ratio Transformer in a Box at the local Post Office but that can be tomorrows toy as I am to lazy to walk the 200m to get it due to low caffeine and high CBF to put shoes on .... (Attachment Link)

Am I missing something here? This doesn't appear to have any onboard storage; so more of an ADC with software-specific output rather than simple timed or CSV serial format, right?

Interesting as it does greatly simplify importing data into more powerful processing tools, I guess... but you still have to connect it directly to some computing device that can store the data until retrieved, correct?

Yep PC based multi channel ADC interface more or less. There is also software for PI's as well. I will get a thread rolling with it at some stage with some use cases. Better than hacking a dodgy Arduino I think but will see.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #41314 on: October 16, 2019, 12:04:50 pm »
Edit: boring one but my TG210 arrived. Perfect condition. Nothing wrong with it at all. £35 well spent.

To keep or resell? Maybe I ought to ask in a month's time  >:D

Out of curiosity, do the sine wave peaks look as clean as this 1kHz HP3310A output? Or is there a sharp peak due to the triangle->sine shaping circuit?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:06:21 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41316 on: October 16, 2019, 12:10:27 pm »

Yep PC based multi channel ADC interface more or less. There is also software for PI's as well. I will get a thread rolling with it at some stage with some use cases. Better than hacking a dodgy Arduino I think but will see.

Okay... I was wondering if it was lack of caffeine causing me to miss something important. :-DD Thanks for confirming. :-+

He could print himself a life-size Smurf Buddha army!!!  :scared:

mnem
I really need to get some sleep... :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41317 on: October 16, 2019, 12:20:14 pm »

To keep or resell? Maybe I ought to ask in a month's time  >:D

Out of curiosity, do the sine wave peaks look as clean as this 1kHz HP3310A output? Or is there a sharp peak due to the triangle->sine shaping circuit?

They're pretty good, but tend to turn up poorly adjusted like this one. Here's a 1KHz one.

I'll stick it on the DS1054Z later when I get some time and calibrate and tune the harmonics down with FFT and re-post a picture. The fundamental circuit it uses is a diff amp set up with matched transistors to kick out a hyperbolic tangent of the input voltage. At low voltages this is a "close enough" approximation to the taylor series approximation of a sine. But it needs tuning via tail current and whoever does that in the factory is a drunk ass. It's orders of magnitude better than the diode clipped sines (run one through an integrator - much fun!)

Edit: my ownership of test gear is like Emperor Ming's wedding vows:

https://youtu.be/87z7mjxolc0?t=59

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:26:12 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41318 on: October 16, 2019, 12:33:50 pm »
*hires impossibly thin man in a charcoal grey suit and bowler hat to follow bd around (from a discrete distance, of course ;)) with a clipboard, occasionally taking notes which he furiously scribbles out whenever he is most likely to be noticed*

mnem
 >:D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:35:42 pm by mnementh »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #41319 on: October 16, 2019, 12:48:01 pm »
I'll stick {TG210} on the DS1054Z later when I get some time and calibrate and tune the harmonics down with FFT and re-post a picture. The fundamental circuit it uses is a diff amp set up with matched transistors to kick out a hyperbolic tangent of the input voltage. At low voltages this is a "close enough" approximation to the taylor series approximation of a sine. But it needs tuning via tail current and whoever does that in the factory is a drunk ass. It's orders of magnitude better than the diode clipped sines (run one through an integrator - much fun!)

Yup diode clipped sines are indeed, um, suboptimum.

I don't know what the ENOB of the DS1054's DACs are, but will they be sufficient to see harmonics below -50dBc? That's one area where my Analog Discovery is probably better, with a 14bit DAC.

Edit: my ownership of test gear is like Emperor Ming's wedding vows:

https://youtu.be/87z7mjxolc0?t=59

We've noticed :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41320 on: October 16, 2019, 01:04:23 pm »
GORDON'S ALIVE!

can't watch brian blessed ass grabbing without cracking up.

free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41321 on: October 16, 2019, 01:16:07 pm »
I'll stick {TG210} on the DS1054Z later when I get some time and calibrate and tune the harmonics down with FFT and re-post a picture. The fundamental circuit it uses is a diff amp set up with matched transistors to kick out a hyperbolic tangent of the input voltage. At low voltages this is a "close enough" approximation to the taylor series approximation of a sine. But it needs tuning via tail current and whoever does that in the factory is a drunk ass. It's orders of magnitude better than the diode clipped sines (run one through an integrator - much fun!)

Yup diode clipped sines are indeed, um, suboptimum.

I don't know what the ENOB of the DS1054's DACs are, but will they be sufficient to see harmonics below -50dBc? That's one area where my Analog Discovery is probably better, with a 14bit DAC.

ENOB depends on signal level on this as the noise at some input attenuator settings is terrible. It's only a cheapy. However I can measure down to about 45dB down on a large signal which is good enough to anti-peak the harmonics. Anyway I just did this quickly as it's lunch time and it's looking much better. So harmonics are down 30dB on this which isn't terrible for an analogue function generator. The sine is looking much better now too.

Sorry forgot to take an FFT screenshot. Will go through rest of cal later.

I'd say performance is about the same as a 3310A. Edit: but cheaper and easier to fix!

Edit 2: interestingly I just tried eyeballing a good sine shape and it came out as good as the FFT result. Was quite surprised.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 01:21:48 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41322 on: October 16, 2019, 01:29:05 pm »

NOT GOING THERE

Well not for a while yet, never say never!
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41323 on: October 16, 2019, 01:34:49 pm »

NOT GOING THERE

Well not for a while yet, never say never!

And you'll be right there with me.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41324 on: October 16, 2019, 01:36:12 pm »

That's the thing with TTi gear, so far I've 4 items from their range, all 4 worked flawlessly and I still 3 of them, the other great thing with them is that are so light that you safely stack up without fear of the shelves bowing under the weight  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf