Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563458 times)

Robert763 and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #41350 on: October 16, 2019, 09:23:53 pm »
I had a search of my emails, it's part #85-1706 30V 10A with fixed 5V & 12V outputs that I never used, here is a picture snurched from the web.
856170-0

It's currently still on my bench under a stack of Pace soldering equipment.

David
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:26:23 pm by factory »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41351 on: October 16, 2019, 09:39:13 pm »
That's a Manson NP-9625. Not too bad. I had its ancesor, the Manson ep-601 running my dodgy CB activities for a bit in the 90s  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #41352 on: October 16, 2019, 11:36:33 pm »
I spend far too much time in here.

I get too many ideas - plus I have acquired more gear over the last couple of years than I have over the last couple of decades... and the same can be said about my EE related spend.  My skills of correlation between space available and item placement are getting honed nearly every day.  So why am I still here?

I'll be back....  ;D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #41353 on: October 16, 2019, 11:39:44 pm »
That's a Manson NP-9625. Not too bad. I had its ancesor, the Manson ep-601 running my dodgy CB activities for a bit in the 90s  :-DD

Mansons are really good bits of well engineered gear. They are very much a Taiwanese/Hong Kong product as distinct from a mainland Chinese one. My 0-15V 60A one is well under 20mV ripple under load.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #41354 on: October 17, 2019, 03:55:14 am »
Recovered thanks to the power of Coffee and a yapping muttley that needed a walk before it drove me nuts.

5 minute test and teardown of the newly arrived Gertsch RT-11H Decade Ratio Transformer. Arrived very well packed for it's $17USD frieght bill  eBay auction: #264459255508 :-+ Seller has some other interesting items of TEA (mainly HP) and prosthetic legs for sale  :o

Hooked it up to the AC Calibrator and 121GW instead of dropping one of the bench DMM's over but looks like it is a winner and still very accurate. Full play later with some more care and better meters. Inside not much to see and the main trickery is buried under potting compound. Switch clean and lube is about all there is to play with.

Eventual use - Occasional like my straight resistance Ratio divider  ;)
@beanflying
 As you are now the proud owner of a Gertsch, I scanned some info I have relating to it etc that you may find helpful. And maybe others too !, see below.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, URI, beanflying

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41355 on: October 17, 2019, 04:02:40 am »
Thanks for the uploads. I found an 8mB PDF on the Gerstch range a few weeks ago with some maintenance and other general info too. Just uploaded it to my Google Drive account here https://drive.google.com/file/d/17hsrkVnfot3DR_uwqyCidLDtzv2Kf4dh/view?usp=sharing if anyone else is interested.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41356 on: October 17, 2019, 07:01:01 am »

Mansons are really good bits of well engineered gear. They are very much a Taiwanese/Hong Kong product as distinct from a mainland Chinese one. My 0-15V 60A one is well under 20mV ripple under load.

Yep well were well engineered what with China at HK at the moment.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41357 on: October 17, 2019, 07:08:10 am »
What is the TEA version of gambling?

Brought a Fluke 725 calibrator for about $350 AUD ($220 USD) delivered untested and with a faulty display. What could possibly go wrong  :palm: eBay auction: #401913574887 Bargain if it is a strip and clean of the zebra strips or a money pit to a write off for parts otherwise

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41358 on: October 17, 2019, 07:15:25 am »
I reckon you’ll be ok on that. Standard fluke failure.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41359 on: October 17, 2019, 07:26:40 am »
Hope so should be a little more accurate than the hacks I have been using.

Be it Kiwi or Welsh this is the Sheeps revenge on Ugg Boots, Velcro Gloves and tonight's preferred viewing option on the free to air idiot box :-DD

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41360 on: October 17, 2019, 08:01:23 am »
What is the TEA version of gambling?

Standard purchasing process? Normal daily business?

Aren't most TEA purchases a gamble?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41361 on: October 17, 2019, 08:03:19 am »
Yep. Worst ones are houses and cars. TEA membership is cheap even if you get it wrong.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41362 on: October 17, 2019, 08:18:23 am »
Unlike most other gambles so far this one is modern and not based around mainly discrete components. I have spent a lot more on modern secondhand gear but had a known working condition. So this is up there for a bit of kit with faults and bieng untested. Also I was looking at cheaper cheerful and Chinese for similar basic specs for less $ new.

Second triple Gin&T is doing the job so care factor is approaching zero. Should make food before the Gin puts me to bed.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41363 on: October 17, 2019, 08:19:06 am »
Yep. Worst ones are houses and cars. TEA membership is cheap even if you get it wrong.

And usually to accompany the car/house (especially a house) is a woman ready to steal your dice. My worst TEA can't compare.  :palm: 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41364 on: October 17, 2019, 08:56:30 am »
Good point! Forgot about that one. I keep getting asked, so tritely "so when are you going back on the market?". They get the "fuck off do you think I am insane" glare.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #41365 on: October 17, 2019, 09:00:07 am »
All mine are on the market !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41366 on: October 17, 2019, 11:24:25 am »
Advertising much?  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41367 on: October 17, 2019, 12:43:39 pm »
Good point! Forgot about that one. I keep getting asked, so tritely "so when are you going back on the market?". They get the "fuck off do you think I am insane" glare.
Yep, you can get plenty of free samples if your savvy  ;) ;) ;) :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #41368 on: October 17, 2019, 02:57:36 pm »
Unlike most other gambles so far this one is modern and not based around mainly discrete components. I have spent a lot more on modern secondhand gear but had a known working condition. So this is up there for a bit of kit with faults and bieng untested. Also I was looking at cheaper cheerful and Chinese for similar basic specs for less $ new.

Second triple Gin&T is doing the job so care factor is approaching zero. Should make food before the Gin puts me to bed.

That was exactly the case with my 189; a bit rich for a pig in a poke, but copious pics from a seller with excellent rep and general trust in the “squaddie-proof” nature of these series of Fluke products made it feel a fair gamble, even after buying/returning a “gutted for parts” 189 a few weeks prior.

Here’s hoping you hit the TEA lottery, buddy!  :-+

mnem
”Safe as flurpee pudding...” ~ The Rocketeer
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41369 on: October 17, 2019, 03:00:14 pm »

Still hearing everything you say in Luci’s voice. :-DD

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #41370 on: October 17, 2019, 03:00:30 pm »

Well they say don't they, "Great minds think alike and fools seldom differ!"  :-DD :-DD Thing is by joining the club later, we can learn by others mistakes and so get it right.  :-DD :-DD

That is also the case for fast-evolving tech. I'm currently on my way home from visiting another company in my field (broadcast), and also doing some systems design work on whiteboard for a new possible media transport network. We agreed that it is possible to tell with a resolution of about 6 months when an install was done. Simply because the installs learn from each other.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #41371 on: October 17, 2019, 03:01:04 pm »
Time for me to share this ebay seller with the group, and get a good supply of popcorn in...   :popcorn:

Bought 4 items in a row from them in the last few days, first 2 have arrived, packed fit to survive the end of days, even
Damaging Packages Deliberately were unable to spoil my day.

Hameg 203-6, and Leitz Biomed microscope, £40 and £30 respectively, shipped. I took the pic of them together to show the size of the microscope, it's way bigger than I expected, and weighs about the same as the CRO   :-DD

Got more goodness on the way, two more Thurlby items, a dual channel 30v 1A linear psu, and a 1905A DMM, another £40 each shipped   :-X

A couple of the little plastic clips that attach the pushrods to the switches on the Hameg are slightly broken; I could easily bodge them with resin, but I'd prefer to replace them outright, unless they are unobtainium ofc. Any suggestions?

And on a random note, here's a picture of a snail. It's on the inside of the lens...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41372 on: October 17, 2019, 04:03:20 pm »
 :wtf:

mnem
 :o

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #41373 on: October 17, 2019, 04:20:13 pm »

Putting more stuff in the crates for Rickreall. Last thing I will probably get to is the 109 pulse generator...

If I have time today, I will post photos of the 109, which is a charged transmission line pulse generator that uses a mercury switch to make pulses. Pulse length is determined by an external coax charge line, which is kind of cool. Unfortunately, the mercury switch has a 200 hour life time so if the operator leaves it turned on for a couple of weekends, the switch has to be replaced.  :palm:
specialization is for insects.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #41374 on: October 17, 2019, 04:41:37 pm »
I decided I would treat my equipment to some proper cables and connectors... a few hundred bucks later...........
856480-0

Now every RF connector/cable assembly has a datasheet (as opposed to ebay's who knows if it's up to spec offerings) and should have a tenth of the loss at high frequencies compared to my old stuff.  Especially happy with the H&S Multiflex 86 assemblies I got fairly cheap - the cable really is amazingly flexible for the frequency rating.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, Kosmic, 0culus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf