Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14407212 times)

TSCOLAN, salvagedcircuitry, Vince, wkb and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #41375 on: October 17, 2019, 05:26:40 pm »

Nope, presumbly to keep costs down they used those nice GREEN LED's for the current scale too, both the voltage & current controls are multi-turn with a connector on the back for remote control, it also has an OVP control too.  :-+

I did prefer the smaller colour-coded binding posts on the Xantrex one, maybe I can change them.

As usual it was footless when I got it, but I sorted that with some rubber feet from the local hardware store's closing down sale, need to do a teardown with pictures at some point.

David

I like that even better! Guess I'm just weird...

I dunno; being able to plug shrouded leads directly into the jacks is a plus, IMO. Maybe take the plastic nuts off and boil them in dye like we used to with our white plastic RC car wheels...? Colors would be a little muted because of the grey base material, tho.

Of course, the easy solution would be spray-paint or a little heat-shrink around the outside...

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41376 on: October 17, 2019, 06:33:48 pm »
Someone say spray paint?  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41377 on: October 17, 2019, 06:49:36 pm »
Yeah, we were talking about all the  OTHER colors... :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:07:29 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Terry01, factory

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #41378 on: October 17, 2019, 06:53:23 pm »

I dunno; being able to plug shrouded leads directly into the jacks is a plus, IMO. Maybe take the plastic nuts off and boil them in dye like we used to with our white plastic RC car wheels...? Colors would be a little muted because of the grey base material, tho.

Of course, the easy solution would be spray-paint or a little heat-shrink around the outside...

mnem
 :-/O

way too much effort. wrap 'em in red and black electrical tape. done.

:-DD
specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41379 on: October 17, 2019, 06:58:11 pm »
Yeah, because nothing screams "FREE-RANGE ELECTRONS GATHER HERE FOR YOUR CHANCE TO ESCAPE!!!" like adorning something electrical with a little MacGyver tape.  :-DD

mnem
"That's not explosion residue. It's man-glitter."
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:01:16 pm by mnementh »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #41380 on: October 17, 2019, 06:59:35 pm »
Someone say spray paint?  :-DD

Not just any spray paint..Krylon!

:-DD

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41381 on: October 17, 2019, 07:06:00 pm »
I decided I would treat my equipment to some proper cables and connectors... a few hundred bucks later...........
(Attachment Link)

Now every RF connector/cable assembly has a datasheet (as opposed to ebay's who knows if it's up to spec offerings) and should have a tenth of the loss at high frequencies compared to my old stuff.  Especially happy with the H&S Multiflex 86 assemblies I got fairly cheap - the cable really is amazingly flexible for the frequency rating.

Did you purchase direct from Amphenol or another shop? Asking because I'm going to need to go on an RF plumbing shopping spree soon.  :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41382 on: October 17, 2019, 07:13:21 pm »
If you buy (new) Amphenol from anybody other than a reputable TE supplier, odds are it's counterfeit. If you buy used Amphenol on fleaBay, it's about a 50/50 chance of being counterfeit. There's just gazoodles of counterfeit Amphenol, Foxconn, Tyco, etc out there.

Just a warning.

mnem
 :horse:

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #41383 on: October 17, 2019, 07:20:00 pm »
Did you purchase direct from Amphenol or another shop? Asking because I'm going to need to go on an RF plumbing shopping spree soon.  :palm:

I looked at digikey, mouser, pasternack, and ebay.... digikey managed to have the best prices even in low quantities, so that's most of them.  I think the RA male to female SMAs are ebay though - something like 3 for $10 for old stock and came in sealed original bags.

Oh and interestingly, digikey and probably others have quite inexpensive BNC adapters (tees, right angles, gender changers) for very cheap (<$3 each in many cases) that are name brand and rated to 4GHz.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41384 on: October 17, 2019, 07:46:02 pm »
Yeah, we were talking about all the  OTHER colors... :-DD

mnem

Now that's funny!  :-DD
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #41385 on: October 17, 2019, 07:58:00 pm »
Bargain if it is a strip and clean of the zebra strips or a money pit to a write off for parts otherwise

Well I did it!
I cleaned the zebra stripes but it did not help.
So I put a 2mm foam to press down the LCD to the zebra on the top and the bottom of the display, between the glass and the plastic holder.

856656-0

856660-1

and voilaaa my old 87 is still kicking... it has been declassed to CAR EMERGENCY DMM...

856664-2

Don't know if I did more harm than good but it works.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:04:57 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, beanflying

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41386 on: October 17, 2019, 08:27:43 pm »

Putting more stuff in the crates for Rickreall. Last thing I will probably get to is the 109 pulse generator...

If I have time today, I will post photos of the 109, which is a charged transmission line pulse generator that uses a mercury switch to make pulses. Pulse length is determined by an external coax charge line, which is kind of cool. Unfortunately, the mercury switch has a 200 hour life time so if the operator leaves it turned on for a couple of weekends, the switch has to be replaced.  :palm:

The seller I got my HP 5240A from had one of those, I was interested but thought that GSP would see the M-word on the front panel and dispose of it (when they open the box at Kentucky), so I didn't buy it.
eBay auction: #401857672156

David
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:47:59 pm by factory »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #41387 on: October 17, 2019, 08:32:54 pm »
Meanwhile....

I upgraded a Metcal MX5200 FW and somebody found a hidden Service Menu.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/metcal-mx-5200-and-mx-5000-firmware-and-data-eeprom-information/msg2743276/#msg2743276 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:44:56 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41388 on: October 17, 2019, 08:45:14 pm »
They're pretty solid feet. Don't think they are too chunky at all. I've never seen an authentic one before that isn't smashed to bits and I don't think anyone has so they look fine  :-DD. Thing is rock solid on them.

Maybe they were like these feet on a 1744A.
856688-0

I prefer the look of these simpler ones on this 1707A.
856692-1

David

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41389 on: October 17, 2019, 08:49:28 pm »
Yeah those look about right for original. I prefer these ones though - they look like a space ship has landed.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41390 on: October 17, 2019, 08:53:24 pm »
They're pretty solid feet. Don't think they are too chunky at all. I've never seen an authentic one before that isn't smashed to bits and I don't think anyone has so they look fine  :-DD. Thing is rock solid on them.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

David
Going by my 1740A when I had it, it only had 3 feet and they were like those on the 1744A
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #41391 on: October 17, 2019, 09:31:36 pm »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

David
Going by my 1740A when I had it, it only had 3 feet and they were like those on the 1744A
Yep, the 1744A feet are the match for OEM 1740 feet.
I always wondered why HP used a cord wrap style though when 1740 has an IEC socket and a probe pouch big enough for half the family.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41392 on: October 17, 2019, 11:17:50 pm »
Same is true of the Tek 24xx series as well. But they have a threaded boss by the IEC socket for a plastic screw-down d-strap so you can make the IEC cord semi-permanent.  :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41393 on: October 18, 2019, 01:46:28 am »
Today was a good TEA day. I received my basically like-new -hp- 8672A synthesized signal generator. And I went from 1 Tek P6042 to 3, plus some spare unobtainium transistors and cabling to replace the bad probe cable on the one I got with a pile of Tek gear at hamfest.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41394 on: October 18, 2019, 02:01:38 am »
Did he just say eighteen point five jigga-herrpzz...? :-DD

mnem
"mmmm... juicy."

Offline fanta

« Reply #41395 on: October 18, 2019, 02:31:04 am »
Hi all,

I'm new here so I'm hoping this is a good place to put this, and if it's not just tell at me and I'll go wherever you say.

I've built a small collection of boat anchors over the last few years, including a Tek 7603, a Tek 576 curve tracer, a couple Fluke HV power supplies, some electrochemistry kit (worth tearing down for the precision multiturn pots if nothing else), and a whole bunch of other stuff (see photos).

Unfortunately for my budding collection, I'm moving into an apartment and can't take it with me, so I'm looking for a good home to give it to. I tried Brisbane Hackerspace but they don't seem to answer their emails at the moment. I can't vouch for any of it, so it's probably better to go to someone who has some boat anchors of their own (I know the Tek 7603 works but the readout doesn't, and I suspect the Tek 576 has bad caps; the TM500 was damaged in transit so some of it is probably okay and some of it is only good for parts). Is there anyone near the Brisbane north-side that wants to save this stuff from the scrap heap? Or alternatively, anyone have any suggestions for what to do with it? I'm not interested in selling it, I'd rather just load it all into the back of someone's truck and sleep knowing it hasn't been smashed up for copper :-\.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/OtyQrhA (not sure why it asks if you're 18+)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41396 on: October 18, 2019, 02:35:26 am »
Did he just say eighteen point five jigga-herrpzz...? :-DD

mnem
"mmmm... juicy."

Why, yes!  :-DD

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41397 on: October 18, 2019, 02:47:41 am »
I have a Sorensen power supply like the one shown in post #41377 and other posts above. These supplies came in a couple of colors and several different ranges. Mine is a 15V/20A one that only had rear terminals so I modified it with proper size wire and hefty terminals. The necessary holes (including the sense connectors) in the front panel were already there under the plastic overlay. I got the supply really cheap because it had a knob missing and the previous owner was moving and wanted to downsize. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 02:50:41 am by ArthurDent »

The following users thanked this post: factory

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #41398 on: October 18, 2019, 02:57:20 am »
Hi all,

I'm new here so I'm hoping this is a good place to put this, and if it's not just tell at me and I'll go wherever you say.

I've built a small collection of boat anchors over the last few years, including a Tek 7603, a Tek 576 curve tracer, a couple Fluke HV power supplies, some electrochemistry kit (worth tearing down for the precision multiturn pots if nothing else), and a whole bunch of other stuff (see photos).

Unfortunately for my budding collection, I'm moving into an apartment and can't take it with me, so I'm looking for a good home to give it to. I tried Brisbane Hackerspace but they don't seem to answer their emails at the moment. I can't vouch for any of it, so it's probably better to go to someone who has some boat anchors of their own (I know the Tek 7603 works but the readout doesn't, and I suspect the Tek 576 has bad caps; the TM500 was damaged in transit so some of it is probably okay and some of it is only good for parts). Is there anyone near the Brisbane north-side that wants to save this stuff from the scrap heap? Or alternatively, anyone have any suggestions for what to do with it? I'm not interested in selling it, I'd rather just load it all into the back of someone's truck and sleep knowing it hasn't been smashed up for copper :-\.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/OtyQrhA (not sure why it asks if you're 18+)

So few posts and you posted here. If I was a few thousand km closer I would be around this afternoon  :-DD

If you drop a free to a good home preferably an open one in the for sale section some of the Brisbane locals might help out. As far as I know we don't have any Brisbane based locals as regulars here in this thread. Your other options might be see if there is a local Hamfest in the next month or two and offer it to that club to Auction off.

Or stick arouind and let us assist you with a mental shoehorn so you can fit your collection into an Apartment like @med has  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #41399 on: October 18, 2019, 03:02:38 am »
Or stick arouind and let us assist you with a mental shoehorn so you can fit your collection into an Apartment like @med has  >:D

Yeah...  I mean, you can always raise your bed a bit for a little extra storage space underneath - or put one in the lounge room with a cushion on top and call it a pouffe.  Two of the same height with a plank of wood across the top makes for a sturdy coffee table.

Channel your MacGyver.

;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 03:06:53 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf