Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14786064 times)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #41500 on: October 19, 2019, 11:57:13 pm »
You’ll be ponying up the money for NIST-traceable calibration (or scouring fleaBay for a suitable meter already done with seals) in a year. Less if bean gets to you.  :-DD

mnem
*highway dwagon*

Latest purchase. Unable to resist (ho ho)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tinsley-Type-1659-DC-AC-Standard-Resistance-10-0-ohms-1-amp-/153675945967

...everyone every TE Addict should have his own standard resistance..   8)    :-DD

I also have a couple of rather nice Guildline 9330s (10k, 100k) and a less nice HW Sullivan (100ohms). Plus three well defined capacitors :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #41501 on: October 20, 2019, 12:19:19 am »
You’ll be ponying up the money for NIST-traceable calibration (or scouring fleaBay for a suitable meter already done with seals) in a year. Less if bean gets to you.  :-DD

mnem
*highway dwagon*
   His resistance to my Enabling power remains strong - so far  :-DD

i did suggest privately he NEEDED this tasty tidy and possibly affordable Tek FET probe in his life eBay auction: #113925336104 and offered to assist in it's procurement. I reckon by Christmas (not sure which year) with the combined TEA power we can have him 3D printing with a 6 1/2 digit meter  >:D

:-DD That’s because you haven’t infected tempted him with Vegemite. Once that universal solvent hits his blood stream, his resistance will decrease tenfold. Just hope he doesn’t encounter any flu virus while under its influence...  :o

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #41502 on: October 20, 2019, 12:51:29 am »
Now I need to make myself a couple of pieces of Vegemite toast.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #41503 on: October 20, 2019, 01:04:31 am »
Speaking of the enabled  :-DD

The week of concluding the unconcluded jobs is here. Now which one first  :-// Time for a Coffee and procrastinate some more .......
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41504 on: October 20, 2019, 01:05:29 am »
Now I need to make myself a couple of pieces of Vegemite toast.

That shit sounds nasty.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #41505 on: October 20, 2019, 01:14:18 am »
It is not in my nature to publish photos of my every activity in the world - but I'm tempted to make an exception ... just for you.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #41506 on: October 20, 2019, 01:15:55 am »

mnem
*highway dwagon*

His resistance to my Enabling power remains strong - so far  :-DD

i did suggest privately he NEEDED this tasty tidy and possibly affordable Tek FET probe in his life eBay auction: #113925336104 and offered to assist in it's procurement. I reckon by Christmas (not sure which year) with the combined TEA power we can have him 3D printing with a 6 1/2 digit meter  >:D

Yes, Bean tried and I greatly appreciate his offer but I have other priorities at the moment. And I'd rarely use it. But I'm sure Oculus or Addictedtoanalogtek would be interested.  :-+

Ah man that's a nice one. I'd definitely be interested if I had not just gotten another one from a fellow on TekScopes.  :-+

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #41507 on: October 20, 2019, 01:16:18 am »
However, seeing that I only have one mouthful left, I will just refer you to this:

Yes ... a lot of Australians have grown up on Vegemite.  Don't be afraid ... even little kids enjoy it.

You MUST try some!   >:D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 01:18:12 am by Brumby »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #41508 on: October 20, 2019, 01:19:06 am »
On another happy note, I got a nice haul of power supplies for radios at another hamfest. I got an Astron RS35A that needs work (broken rocker switch seems to be the problem), an Astron RS12A, and one of those "ham power in an ammo can builds" that someone was selling. The RS12A finally gives me a power supply that will work with the Icom IC7000 on 2m and 70cm. Working HF would require the 35. But, no more shutdown on keyup!

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41509 on: October 20, 2019, 02:10:52 am »
Sometimes ago, decided to try my luck on Equipnet auction and won a nice thermal camera­. Having the item packaged and shipped was an ordeal, but it made it in one piece in the end. As soon as I got the camera I tried to install the software, but the unlock code from the previous owner was not working. The company that made the camera was nowhere to be found (web site is gone). So, a bit frustrated, I decided to just put everything back in the box and forgot about it for a while.

Recently decided to try again. With the help of someone from the forum (Fraser), I was able to track down Compix and obtain a new unlock code from them. The camera is now working but I don't remember exactly why I wanted one in the first place. Probably to track down short and avoid burning down my house with alcohol  :-DD

In any case, the Compix 320 is a really nice camera. It was sold for something like 20 kilobuck in 2013. Got a resolution of 320x240 (interpolated to 640x480). Came with 2 lenses and one extender.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:35:20 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, beanflying, 0culus

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41510 on: October 20, 2019, 02:12:50 am »
The inside:

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, 0culus

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41511 on: October 20, 2019, 02:29:24 am »
Playing with the thermal camera

Zooming on the little hot chip in the lower left (ignore the temperature, the camera is not calibrated with this lens)

Zooming on one of the pad of the same chip (using the microscope lens).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:38:26 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #41512 on: October 20, 2019, 03:05:45 am »
 ;D

And now they make units with higher res that fit in a cellphone shell for 1/20 the cost. Such is the march of progress...

mnem
 :=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41513 on: October 20, 2019, 03:18:23 am »
;D

And now they make units with higher res that fit in a cellphone shell for 1/20 the cost. Such is the march of progress...

mnem

I don't know. Similar product , like the Fluke RSE300 still sell for 13k$

https://www.fluke-direct.com/product/fluke-rse300-infrared-camera-60hz-320-x-240

Sure there is some new product from China like thermal expert, but I'm not sure how they compare.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #41514 on: October 20, 2019, 04:00:46 am »
I survived Rickreall. Actually sold a small pile of stuff, though none of the Tektronix gear or the bandscope. Had a couple of good finds, including several pounds of N and GR adapters of various sorts. Too tired to start digging through crates tonight, will post photos tomorrow.

Next hamfest isn't until March, up in Washington state. I think that will be a better opportunity to sell test gear and, unfortunately, to buy some, too!   ::)
specialization is for insects.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #41515 on: October 20, 2019, 12:43:56 pm »
;D

mnem
The build and image quality of those isn't quite the same though.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41516 on: October 20, 2019, 01:36:49 pm »
Haa and when I told my daughter I had a new camera she absolutely wanted to pose for a picture  ^-^

Edit: Deleted my post by accident  :palm:, re-uploading.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, mnementh, bd139

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41517 on: October 20, 2019, 02:40:10 pm »

@med, kosmic
Total price I was offered for 2 probes was around $120.=.
Inclusive shipping & customs.

Pretty prohibitive.
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41518 on: October 20, 2019, 02:48:50 pm »

@med, kosmic
Total price I was offered for 2 probes was around $120.=.
Inclusive shipping & customs.

Pretty prohibitive.

Shipping is killing the deal  :-\

Was something like 12$ for me.

Edit: 60$ per probe shipped is still cheap. They normally goes for >100$ just the probe.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:16:36 pm by Kosmic »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41519 on: October 20, 2019, 03:31:08 pm »
gonna break my promise not to post again about the hp 8569b.

was noodling with it this morning and connected up my prologix gpib to usb adapter.

installed "spectrum surveillance monitor" from ke5fx and after dicking with it for an hour it works.

like the display on the crt better.....but it is good to know that a laptop display is an option.

oh......why did it take an hour of dicking around?  the 8569 is a big mother.  so you have to lean waaaaaaay over to see the gpib address switches.

and when the switches are viewed upside down it is real easy to set them backwards.  DOH!

858180-0

(decimal 18 is 010010 NOT 101101) 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:47:43 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, bd139, URI, Kosmic

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #41520 on: October 20, 2019, 03:41:53 pm »
Last weeks hoarding on the in-country auction site resulted in a couple of used connectors. Rosenberger solder/clamp TNC for RG213.  Now, in classic rabbit hole fashion, all I need is a radio (I'm thinking of a Niros/Ericsson UHF) to plug them in and an open-jaw 16mm torque wrench that will do 4Nm to properly tighten the clamp screw.  The tooling rabbit hole is as tantalizing as the TE one. Believe me. For I have gone there.

I've already desoldered them. One needs to loosen all of the clamping, then open the little manhole, heat the joint for the centre conductor, and carefully wiggle the cable stub out. Then clean out the excess solder.

All the silicone seals are somewhat squeezed to bits, so am thinking about getting a bag of suitable neoprene O-rings instead.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41521 on: October 20, 2019, 04:56:19 pm »
More volt-nuttery. Today's mission is to certify the Siglent SDM 3055 as my “Bench 2 Standard”. I've had this Siglent for almost a year now and while I like it overall there are a few items that annoy me. First, it doesn't match up exactly with either AD584-M references. It's always measured consistently low as seen as the chart. It's close but no cigar. Sloppy factory calibration or are BOTH references off?  :-// Who knows but to me 5.5 digits is overkill anyway.  ::) Second, I found that there is no difference in warm up times from either a cold start (power completely off) or power up from standby. Takes at least 12 hours for both for best accuracy. That tells me that standby does not keep the internal voltage reference hot which makes it totally useless and just consumes power. Perhaps Tautech can confirm this.

For this exercise the Siglent was powered up for 48 hours. It has confirmed via cross checking that the Fluke 8050A is a valid bench 1 standard. And it further convinced me that for my needs 4.5 digits is more than enough. 5.5 digits is overkill and I'll never venture into 6.5 digit territory. Especially when I see these 6.5 digit and greater DMM's all stacked up and connected to the same source and all reading differently.  :wtf: That would drive me to drink.   

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:41:17 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #41522 on: October 20, 2019, 04:57:30 pm »
my modificated BFO don`t work.
Its the classic experience of solding: All is oscillating except the oscillator  :-+
I will find that.. the replacement variable C is pass.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41523 on: October 20, 2019, 05:15:20 pm »
Can confirm. I can blow anything up  :-DD
After years of secret tests conducted at Mum and Dads house, he is well qualified in the art of blowing things, even down to humble power supplies  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #41524 on: October 20, 2019, 05:23:16 pm »
Second, I found that there is no difference in warm up times from either a cold start (power completely off) or power up from standby. Takes at least 12 hours for both for best accuracy. That tells me that standby does not keep the internal voltage reference hot which makes it totally useless and just consumes power. Perhaps Tautech can confirm this.
None of the SDM's have an ovenized reference and IIRC there's an ON time accuracy spec in the datasheet.
I don't remember what the Vref is in the 3045X and 3055 but it's the TO-92 above the 3 black relays in the pic in this post.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg637615/#msg637615

FYI, Siglent are working on a manual Cal procedure so that owners can tweak measurements once their SDM's have aged. Not all measurement types will be tweakable AFAIK, just those for which you budding volt/ohm/amp nuts carry the typical standard references.
Actually, must check how things are progressing with this manual Cal ..................
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf