Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14562727 times)

Vince and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #41625 on: October 23, 2019, 02:58:28 pm »
I've only ever bought one thing from Aliexpress. The $10 process calibrator discussed upthread and the subject of this

I did not have my hopes for getting something set very high. But Postmord (the merger of what is left of the Royal Swedish and Danish Post Offices following a large dose of NPM and general stupidity that happened to coincide with the widespread use of email and other electronic communications) actually seem to think they delivered something to my letterbox this afternoon.

I'm on my way home now, report to follow..
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 03:29:06 pm by mansaxel »

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #41626 on: October 23, 2019, 03:31:13 pm »
ebay 143407816911

I see a blue beam, location = virginia.  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41627 on: October 23, 2019, 03:52:43 pm »
More volt-nuttery calibrations. Today it's the Tek 2465 DMS. The DMM option. The DCV and Ohms is right on the money. No adjustments were required. ACV, on the other hand, has issues.

This is 1VAC/60Hz which is the only AC reference I have that is reasonably accurate. If you notice there are dots on the screen to the left and right of the readout. For the longest time I had no idea what those dots meant. I have since found out that it's a not well documented warning that the EAROM calibration constant data is either corrupt, missing, or out of spec. But since I don't have a full suite of ACV references I can't fix it. Which means that the ACV measurements can't be trusted. But in reality it really doesn't matter because I have other DMM's to measure ACV if required.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #41628 on: October 23, 2019, 04:49:57 pm »
But Postmord (the merger of what is left of the Royal Swedish and Danish Post Offices following a large dose of NPM and general stupidity that happened to coincide with the widespread use of email and other electronic communications) actually seem to think they delivered something to my letterbox this afternoon.

My mailbox was empty. Going by the amount of other peoples mail I get in my box, that probably means that a more or less decent person in this village now has my package. Some of them actually hand them over.

|O

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41629 on: October 23, 2019, 05:01:34 pm »
My mailbox was empty. Going by the amount of other peoples mail I get in my box, that probably means that a more or less decent person in this village now has my package. Some of them actually hand them over.

The other option is that they recycled a tracking # so that somebody somewhere in Sweden actually got something. If you follow the other thread you noticed that this has happened to a few others.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #41630 on: October 23, 2019, 05:15:50 pm »

The other option is that they recycled a tracking # so that somebody somewhere in Sweden actually got something. If you follow the other thread you noticed that this has happened to a few others.

This is a pretty common ebay scam for stuff with unbelievable prices: vendor gets account hijacked. hijacker loads it up with lots of expensive stuff at unbelievable prices, people order and pay for stuff, get recycled tracking numbers, and wait just long enough before complaining for hijacker to move money from vendor account. vendor/ebay gets stuck with refunding. 

edit: the more nefarious version: the vendor cooperates with the "hijacker".
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 05:17:41 pm by wch »
specialization is for insects.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #41631 on: October 23, 2019, 05:20:42 pm »
Direct question DID YOU LISTEN to the content? Show me something else factual or real world based? Repeating I once saw X or heard Y therefore it must have been true and always will be is where the issue comes from. It is like the animated  :bullshit: from a week ago information based on non use or dated materials or equipment as 'evidence'.

The main failures or embritelment were a Algae infused one. No one uses Algae infused PLA and single wall is what it is. I have used it a bit for lamp shades but I wouldn't try and rely on it mechanically. It is basically paper.

The sculpted one was a 3D scan failure causing a void behind the panel that came off and that print was also dropped and clearly stated unknown if the cracking was caused by that or internal failure (sample size of one). The top of that print remained intact and as printed from what I could see and most likely had some sort of UV stabilizer in the PLA?

Colour changing happens on all plastics regardless of manufacturing method and it is not a failure specific to any method.

This as I stated initially the issue there is limited real world testing of the materials or process.
My own observations of printed materials left out in the elements are real world and factual. One might argue it's anecdotal which is undeniably true but it does put to rest it being a myth or hearsay.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41632 on: October 23, 2019, 06:31:06 pm »
Finally got an evening off. Dug out my PA project, hooked it up to power supply, connected load, connected my norcal 40A to the input and keyed down. 1W out. Hmm. Poked around, found the SMPS module has failed ffs. Swapped it out for the meanwell one I was going to use on this anyway. Keyed down, still 1W. Hmm power supply has also failed? Can’t be possible. Then I see it. Frigging bias supply dropper zener is glowing red when I key down :-DD. Looks like it went short!  :palm:

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41633 on: October 23, 2019, 06:34:58 pm »
Bias for class C is highly overrated anyway  :-DD
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #41634 on: October 23, 2019, 06:42:01 pm »
Now you have an optical telegraph key.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, factory

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #41635 on: October 23, 2019, 07:25:20 pm »

OXYACETELENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your garage on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside a brake-drum you're trying to get the bearing race out of.

Never to be used inside for copper plumbing modifications without a bucket of water handy !  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41636 on: October 23, 2019, 09:00:30 pm »

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans rust off old bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprint whorls in about the time it takes you to say, "F...."

It may also zip up your shorts and cause time to freeze while you hesitate to check if you've castrated yourself...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41637 on: October 23, 2019, 09:19:29 pm »
Finally got an evening off. Dug out my PA project, hooked it up to power supply, connected load, connected my norcal 40A to the input and keyed down. 1W out. Hmm. Poked around, found the SMPS module has failed ffs. Swapped it out for the meanwell one I was going to use on this anyway. Keyed down, still 1W. Hmm power supply has also failed? Can’t be possible. Then I see it. Frigging bias supply dropper zener is glowing red when I key down :-DD. Looks like it went short!  :palm:

Well debugging done. That was fun.

Circuit uses a 78L09 to generate 9V from 24V to stuff across a trimmer and series resistor to bias the gate of the MOSFET. It only does this when you key down to kill idle current. As there are two PA MOSFETs independently biased, this circuit is x2. To drop some voltage and keep PD down on the 78L09's I stuffed a 5W 9.1V zener in series with both of the bias circuits. Well somewhere along the line, one of the 78L09's turned into a short to ground (cause TBD but probably me running 10W into it by accident from the K2) and when you key it it shorts the power supply to ground via the zener. This drags the power supply voltage down to about 9V which is applied to the drain of the MOSFETs. The class C bias and the low PA bias means 1W out  :palm:

Fortunately both power supplies seemed to hang up at around 2A solid which is enough to make that zener glow orange aftera few seconds but that's it. 78L09 replaced and it's done.

Had to employ the HP 6286A, 3466A and 400E for this one  :-+.

Smells fucking awful in my living room now. That horrid burned zener smell  :-DD
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 09:21:35 pm by bd139 »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41638 on: October 23, 2019, 09:37:32 pm »
I have had Various Bridges on my evilbay list and then off again for a few years now. They are just a cool toy and nostalgic as we were made to use them in Secondary school in various forms. Do I need on absolutely not will I get on maybe  ;D

Speaking of un needed 'toys' my Heathkit 3121 Curve Tracer turned up this morning and given it may have been made from a kit by a butcher I popped the hood for a look. Seems to have been a little rework on the board along the way as there is two fairly distinct solder looks. Overall nothing scary. Socketed IC's and some 1% resistors in the mix and when I plugged it in no smokes were released.

Very tidy overall just the knobs have a little oxidation on the inserts so I might print or cut some new ones. To repaint it in @med TEK Blue or not when it gets mounted to the stand  :-//

Quaintly the seller included an entire CD with something on it but I will need to dig out the one PC I still own with a drive in it.

Looks like that version is just a cosmetic update of the IT-1121 which looks identical on the inside.
Mine didn't need anything doing other than both fuses replacing with the correct values.

David

I couldn't see any real difference externally or to the specs so possibly a board mod of some sort  :-//

Had a look at this evilbay listing and whatever was done was minor I guess eBay auction: #153692048823

I didn't realize the 1121 and the 3121 are the same box... only the color and the original price were different. I just dug up schematics for both to confirm that: no difference at all.  Which is too bad because I could have picked up a 1121 cheap at Rickreall, and would have had I known.  :-//

There was also a B+K 105A there, for 25USD, but I have one already, so I passed.

The numbers on the board in my IT-1121 match the ones in the IT-3121 beanflying has, I checked that before I posted last night, here are a couple more pictures (others here; https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1776971/#msg1776971).

David
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 09:41:42 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, bd139

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41639 on: October 23, 2019, 10:31:50 pm »

Well debugging done. That was fun.

Circuit uses a 78L09 to generate 9V from 24V to stuff across a trimmer and series resistor to bias the gate of the MOSFET. It only does this when you key down to kill idle current. As there are two PA MOSFETs independently biased, this circuit is x2. To drop some voltage and keep PD down on the 78L09's I stuffed a 5W 9.1V zener in series with both of the bias circuits. Well somewhere along the line, one of the 78L09's turned into a short to ground (cause TBD but probably me running 10W into it by accident from the K2) and when you key it it shorts the power supply to ground via the zener. This drags the power supply voltage down to about 9V which is applied to the drain of the MOSFETs. The class C bias and the low PA bias means 1W out  :palm:

Fortunately both power supplies seemed to hang up at around 2A solid which is enough to make that zener glow orange aftera few seconds but that's it. 78L09 replaced and it's done.

Had to employ the HP 6286A, 3466A and 400E for this one  :-+.

Smells fucking awful in my living room now. That horrid burned zener smell  :-DD

Too funny!  :-DD
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41640 on: October 23, 2019, 10:53:02 pm »
It looks like I will get one good meter out of the two 8840s (more on this later).  I'd like to add the RMS VAC board, aka Option 09. The Fluke PN is 728899.  If you have this board or a scrap 8840A A/AF with this board installed that you are willing to sell, please PM or send me an email. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:57:42 pm by wch »

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #41641 on: October 24, 2019, 01:03:18 am »

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans rust off old bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprint whorls in about the time it takes you to say, "F...."

It may also zip up your shorts and cause time to freeze while you hesitate to check if you've castrated yourself...

A long time ago I had long hair, and once got it caught in the chuck of an electric hand drill.  I quickly let go of the switch, but I spent that second or so while the motor coasted to a stop wondering if it was going to actually stop before it wound it's way up to the side of my head and pulled out my hair.  It did...

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41642 on: October 24, 2019, 01:06:56 am »
But Postmord (the merger of what is left of the Royal Swedish and Danish Post Offices following a large dose of NPM and general stupidity that happened to coincide with the widespread use of email and other electronic communications) actually seem to think they delivered something to my letterbox this afternoon.

|O
Pøstenmøpsen – the new scandinavian village game?

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #41643 on: October 24, 2019, 02:14:22 am »
Tripping in the big smoke. This could get expensive  :scared:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41644 on: October 24, 2019, 03:04:22 am »
Bean's gone to town but will he go to town while there ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41645 on: October 24, 2019, 03:06:21 am »
Bean's gone to town but will he go to town while there ?  :-//

Beanflying, pack your stuff and orderly line yourself to the exit door... >:D

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #41646 on: October 24, 2019, 03:11:48 am »
Single Handful of Router bits = $ 34401A  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41647 on: October 24, 2019, 03:15:10 am »
You seem to be on operating on an entirely different plane than I am.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41648 on: October 24, 2019, 03:47:24 am »
You seem to be on operating on an entirely different plane than I am.  :-DD
Yep, wood planes are another Rabbet (plane) hole !  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41649 on: October 24, 2019, 04:50:12 am »
The good news... the Fluke 8840A has a pretty impressive set of self-tests and the manual is quite detailed. The bad news... the DMM I thought had only panel problems intermittently fails the diagnostic self-tests in a way that indicates there is a PSU problem, which would be okay because I can fix that, but the power supply readings are all good. Now the self-test failures could be caused by a keypad problem but that seems unlikely, so tomorrow I start probing around to see if I can find an intermittent component.

Scratching my head and wondering where I stashed the freeze spray.

And... the Tek parts guy sent me the wrong transistors, so I can't finish fixing the signal gen tonight either.  |O

So away from the bench I go to read some more of Michael Faraday's biography.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:52:31 am by worsthorse »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf