Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14885256 times)

duckduck, Cesar_D and 31 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #41650 on: October 24, 2019, 07:14:12 am »
Tripping in the big smoke. This could get expensive  :scared:

Sir! Put... down... that... tool... and... step... away... from... the... cabinet... with your hands above your head. :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #41651 on: October 24, 2019, 07:52:01 am »
Home and sipping beer number 1 after a 700km trip,

These guys are operating on another plane to everyone else. Slap a Made in Japan sticker on it and x3-4.

Based on $400/plane my inherited and own collection is worth a few K anyone want to trade for test gear  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #41652 on: October 24, 2019, 09:20:57 am »
Home and sipping beer number 1 after a 700km trip,

These guys are operating on another plane to everyone else. Slap a Made in Japan sticker on it and x3-4.

Yep the Japs make some lovely woodworking gear.
My eldest son now in Perth served his time as a marine cabby and bought some of this stuff. Never lowered himself to use any of the old mans Record planes of which I have a good few.
3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 110, 78 and a couple of 45's.
Got more scopes that that now !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #41653 on: October 24, 2019, 09:22:06 am »
@beanflying - but was it made by nude virgins forging the steel from a single ingot?
Whilst they are gorgeous - some of the prices of the 'craftsman quality' woodworking gear is crazy. My first plane was a Russian beauty - Cyrillic instructions and all, later on I thought I had better get a 'proper'  one - just a mid level Stanley - almost no real difference that my eyes could see.
But good timber - that is hard to find - esp in South Australia.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41654 on: October 24, 2019, 09:51:24 am »
The good news... the Fluke 8840A has a pretty impressive set of self-tests and the manual is quite detailed. The bad news... the DMM I thought had only panel problems intermittently fails the diagnostic self-tests in a way that indicates there is a PSU problem, which would be okay because I can fix that, but the power supply readings are all good. Now the self-test failures could be caused by a keypad problem but that seems unlikely, so tomorrow I start probing around to see if I can find an intermittent component.

Scratching my head and wondering where I stashed the freeze spray.

And... the Tek parts guy sent me the wrong transistors, so I can't finish fixing the signal gen tonight either.  |O

So away from the bench I go to read some more of Michael Faraday's biography.

So what's with the name change?  (You knew someone was going to ask)  :-// :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41655 on: October 24, 2019, 11:10:49 am »
 >:D

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #41656 on: October 24, 2019, 11:13:05 am »
That's unfair.  Benny Hill meant to be funny.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #41657 on: October 24, 2019, 11:25:48 am »
https://productronica.com/index.html

thinking to design a TEA T-shirt for that event.

BTW, I am now falling in love with AIM TTI. Got a TTI QL355T for 200€ and I am dealing for a new DC Load super duper cool. GO GO BRITISH DESIGN!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 12:23:50 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #41658 on: October 24, 2019, 02:09:36 pm »
   Tripping in the big smoke. This could get expensive  :scared:

Hand planes...? Huh...

You know... building your own set of planes was once considered one of the “journeyman tasks” of a woodworking apprenticeship. Given your obvious mastery of various forms of modern CNC fab, I’d think that would be a really addictive rabbit-hole rewarding project for a guy like you... :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:15:02 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41659 on: October 24, 2019, 02:20:20 pm »
Started with the calibration checks of my collection of DMM's. I drew up a generic form that can be applied to all of them and will kept as a record. First up for cal is the Fluke 87 Series 1. Which took all of about 10 minutes to complete.  ;D  I've never had to make any updates to the 87 since purchasing it in 1997. It just works and stays in cal. Change the battery when needed and it's good to go.  :-+

That 8021B just chilling in the background, I really need to get one of those just because... Specially one build in the same year I was born!

Fluke 8021B calibration. The “BT” indicator was on. Weak battery, replaced. Other than that calibration for all parameters was dead nuts. No adjustments required.

And just for you here's some pron.....   :-+

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41660 on: October 24, 2019, 02:33:23 pm »
Started with the calibration checks of my collection of DMM's. I drew up a generic form that can be applied to all of them and will kept as a record. First up for cal is the Fluke 87 Series 1. Which took all of about 10 minutes to complete.  ;D  I've never had to make any updates to the 87 since purchasing it in 1997. It just works and stays in cal. Change the battery when needed and it's good to go.  :-+

That 8021B just chilling in the background, I really need to get one of those just because... Specially one build in the same year I was born!

Fluke 8021B calibration. The “BT” indicator was on. Weak battery, replaced. Other than that calibration for all parameters was dead nuts. No adjustments required.

What a beautiful piece of engineering. Plus in a very pristine condition I must say. Thank you for the high quality images.

Do you have any kind of maintenance regarding the mechanical selector buttons, like cleaning them and test them after X months?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41661 on: October 24, 2019, 02:37:31 pm »

What a beautiful piece of engineering. Plus in a very pristine condition I must say. Thank you for the high quality images.

Do you have any kind of maintenance regarding the mechanical selector buttons, like cleaning them and test them after X months?

You're welcome. In the 30+ years I've had that DMM I've never had to clean the selector buttons. Like the Fluke 87 it just works.  :-+ :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41662 on: October 24, 2019, 02:55:47 pm »
The good news... the Fluke 8840A has a pretty impressive set of self-tests and the manual is quite detailed. The bad news... the DMM I thought had only panel problems intermittently fails the diagnostic self-tests in a way that indicates there is a PSU problem, which would be okay because I can fix that, but the power supply readings are all good. Now the self-test failures could be caused by a keypad problem but that seems unlikely, so tomorrow I start probing around to see if I can find an intermittent component.

And... the Tek parts guy sent me the wrong transistors, so I can't finish fixing the signal gen tonight either.  |O

So away from the bench I go to read some more of Michael Faraday's biography.

So what's with the name change?  (You knew someone was going to ask)  :-// :-DD

I recall his images are hosted on a domain containing that ch$. I suspect he’s always been “worsthorse” elsewhere, but finally decided to bring it here.

Maybe he got to a point where he figures we can be trusted with his “one true name”. ;)

mnem
 8)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 03:07:04 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #41663 on: October 24, 2019, 03:10:58 pm »

Did they originally have the AC-09 fitted? I seem to remember reading in the manual that this is a factory option and can't be added later.
If they did, and were removed, I wonder if this is the source of the self-test failure?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #41664 on: October 24, 2019, 03:44:31 pm »
@med, to be honest, i didn't think anyone would notice.

worsthorse is the nick i've been using on other electronics and rf websites for quite a while. i am not sure why i didn't use it when i got an account here, but i didn't, and it just seemed time to fix that.

as for the etymology of worsthorse? well that's another story...

Did they originally have the AC-09 fitted? I seem to remember reading in the manual that this is a factory option and can't be added later.
If they did, and were removed, I wonder if this is the source of the self-test failure?

The manual is not clear on this point, so if I can find one for not a lot of money, I will buy it and give it a try.  But the missing board isn't the source of the problem. The self-diagnostic just skips the relevant tests if the board isn't in place.

If I power it up this morning and it works again, I am going to guess that it is a heat-related problem and start zapping stuff with freeze spray! 

Maybe he got to a point where he figures we can be trusted with his “one true name”. ;)

mnem
 8)

something like that, mnem, something like that.   >:D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 03:53:49 pm by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #41665 on: October 24, 2019, 03:47:04 pm »

med, what are you using for a calibration source?
specialization is for insects.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41666 on: October 24, 2019, 04:01:12 pm »
@med, to be honest, i didn't think anyone would notice.

worsthorse is the nick i've been using on other electronics and rf websites for quite a while. i am not sure why i didn't use it when i got an account here, but i didn't, and it just seemed time to fix that.

as for the etymology of worsthorse? well that's another story...

The manual is not clear on this point, so if I can find one for not a lot of money, I will buy it and give it a try.  But the missing board isn't the source of the problem. The self-diagnostic just skips the relevant tests if the board isn't in place.

If I power it up this morning and it works again, I am going to guess that it is a heat-related problem and start zapping stuff with freeze spray! 

mnem
 8)

something like that, mnem, something like that.   >:D

We may be a group that's crazier than a shit house rat but we're pretty astute to changes.  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41667 on: October 24, 2019, 04:16:46 pm »

med, what are you using for a calibration source?

A bunch of things. I have two AD-584-M references but they only cover 2.5V, 5.0V, 7.5V, and 10V. As you probably are aware most DMM's for DC cal require a precise 190mv, 1.9V, and 19V source. I have a home built unit that uses both AD-584 references in series to produce these precision references. I've posted the schematic before but if you need it I can post it again.

For a 190VDC source I have a home built unit that uses a Smakn DC-DC converter to generate 220VDC which feeds a Microchip LR8 regulator set to 190VDC. It's not extremely accurate but it's real close (within 1V) and I monitor with my bench reference and compare the readings. I can post that schematic too if you want it.

For 1VAC / 60Hz I have a reference I built over 30 years ago that was part of another DCV reference that I no longer use as it's not as accurate as my current DCV reference.

For ohms I have a 0.1% decade box built up that goes from 1 ohm to 10M.

I have plans for a 500VDC reference that I just haven't gotten to finish yet.

Edit....the 190mV, 1.9V, and 19V reference is posted on page 1 of this thread under "electronics miscellany"
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:24:27 pm by med6753 »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #41668 on: October 24, 2019, 04:34:49 pm »
My mailbox was empty. Going by the amount of other peoples mail I get in my box, that probably means that a more or less decent person in this village now has my package. Some of them actually hand them over.

The other option is that they recycled a tracking # so that somebody somewhere in Sweden actually got something. If you follow the other thread you noticed that this has happened to a few others.

I have asked PostMord (whose 1st line answered with a non-informative standard text) whether the package actually was destined to me. Let's see what happens.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #41669 on: October 24, 2019, 04:35:12 pm »
About a weeks worth of pics here...

The Thurlby psu arrived at the end of last week and in the best EEVBlog tradition, I didn't turn it on, I took it apart  ;)

The current adjust pot on the slave output was loose and had been turned hard enough to pull all the wires off, resoldering these cured the OFL display that was in the ebay pics.

The damper switch on the master was jammed, took it apart and reassembled and it's fine now.
(sorry forgot pics for those last 2  :-X)

The poor rectifiers have been really caned:         Making the board somewhat... suntanned!

Both the slave and master were like this, though the master is worst. I just reflowed the solder with some fresh flux core lead solder for now so I could do some functional tests and until I decide how to repair it.
I haven't decided between fresh discrete diodes with longer leads, or off-board bridge.
Either way, I'll not be abusing the poor thing with full current loading, I have other PSUs for that.

This is the present condition:

The dp's on the slave current display indicate the output is off, and in current set mode.
As can be seen, there is a great deal of minor cosmetic work to be done!
One strange measurement I got, when the outputs are set to 'parallel', there's a 50VDC potential between the slave and master 0V terminals, and playing around with a few resistors to see how much current might flow, it dropped to around 5V with a 47k, so a milliamp or so. More investigation needed!

Been at a disused largish office/warehouse building this week, decommisioning some electrical stuffies. Here's some pr0n...

Resistor pr0n, these are part of a speed control on an old goods lift. Sadly can't be "salvaged" as they appear to be rich in lovely asbestos   :'(  must... resist... resistors...                                   And this is the contactor panel part of the speed controller:

The asbestos team ran out of stickers... they said it would be quicker to put them on what doesn't have it in   :-DD

Some fuses for multimeters anyone..? These are sitting on top of a 415V 140A power factor correction unit, which has some nice big caps in it... until tomorrow, if I get my way...  :-X

This genset is 8 or 10 KVA by my guess (couldn't access the rating plate). It's maybe 20 years old, maybe even more, and only has 200 hours on it!

One for the UK sparkies; what's wrong with this picture?

At least I got some 'drinks'...

So the Thurlby 1905a arrived today, and when I opened the case, I had my first 'hmmmm' moment

Then this caught my eye, that's the 200mA current measure fuseholder:

Am I going mad, or is that a MOV paralleled with the fuse? wtf?!?

The missing IC turns out to be quite important. It's one of the eproms, IC208, which holds 'Program E'  |O
Consequently, after taking it apart, saying "hmmm" a few times, then putting it back together and turning it on, I found it to be somewhat non-functional. I am currently deciding whether to try to get my money back (it was listed as used, none of the pics showed it powered up), or try to source an eprom...

On the plus side, my Pomona 6366 leads arrived from back-order with Farnell (shamelessly copy-ordered from a fellow TEA poster's post  ;D)
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41670 on: October 24, 2019, 04:52:50 pm »
...as for the etymology of worsthorse? well that's another story...

mnem

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41671 on: October 24, 2019, 04:57:12 pm »
...as for the etymology of worsthorse? well that's another story...

mnem

You're spilling it.  ::)  :-DD

Actually...that's the tea bag......so you're getting tea bagged.  :o :o :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41672 on: October 24, 2019, 05:07:11 pm »
That’s “Da Tag”... “Da Bag” dinn’t get anywhere near my chin, so I’m gonna call “SAFE!!!” on that one.  >:D

mnem
 :phew:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:09:53 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41673 on: October 24, 2019, 05:15:56 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrYmLwfCjcCcIBPbJ0yGA3Q

I didn’t dare click on play... though I do appreciate the shout-out to Doctor Phibes.  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: klab

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41674 on: October 24, 2019, 05:44:48 pm »
@med, what is this sad guy doing in your 8021B?

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf