Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14556007 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, Vince, K0ELB, TERRA Operative and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #42625 on: November 11, 2019, 04:51:30 am »
I swapped a kg of runny stuff for a baggy of roasted beans and had a swarm removed for giggles. Winning I reckon  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #42626 on: November 11, 2019, 04:54:58 am »
I swapped a kg of runny stuff for a baggy of roasted beans and had a swarm removed for giggles. Winning I reckon  :-+
Only if you need sweetening up in the morning otherwise I put much more value on the beans for that time of day !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42627 on: November 11, 2019, 05:05:20 am »
Current bean stash is over 500kg of Green - I can afford it  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #42628 on: November 11, 2019, 06:58:23 am »

Yes but it takes a whole lot of expensive gear to reproduce the sound of that crap faithfully:-DD

That is true, but what you need to evaluate which gear is faithful are proper measurements that are complemented by double-blind listening tests.   None of that audiophoolery. Simply applying what science has learnt over the centuries about making good repeatable measurements and being methodic about removing noise in the measurements.  Audiophools and their pushers (salesweasels) constantly fear and reject the double blind test for they know their €2000 "speaker interconnect" is going to be bested by zipcord.

:

I happen to be somewhat experienced in that end where the alleged talent show up with a Chinesium patch cord, and the sheer amount of things that happen to sound before it is maimed by the FM compressor at the transmitter ; or, more often today, the "lossless" encoder at the streaming site, is mind-boggling.

/Måns, builds large networks to carry production audio over. Mostly using Chinesium RJ45 patch cords (or single-mode fiber). Without directional arrows on them.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42629 on: November 11, 2019, 07:47:09 am »

Potato!

Clever idea to print a peeled one. I would have printed it pre-peeled and then been pissed off with myself because I still had to peel it.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #42630 on: November 11, 2019, 07:53:51 am »
Jep, Metallica is a must! Well, most of them ... Lulu is imo their worst album ever.  :--

It went downhill after Master of Puppets, but their work up to and including that album is first-rate.

When metal forgets that it is riff blues with more distorsion and becomes opera (and that started with NWOBHM, roughly) I quickly lose interest.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42631 on: November 11, 2019, 08:28:03 am »
Lars should have stuck to tennis.

As for the free trays with makeup thing. Three points.  Firstly as Mr Scram points out, the makeup costs a lot of money to get the free stuff. The free stuff is a disingenuous apology. Secondly the situation is now not that I get the free stuff because it turns out that it’s quite expensive when you’ve got to pay for it yourself and you have to do that if you’re a cheating bitch  :).  Thirdly if I did it would be covered in gunk which I don’t want near my kit.

And on that I’m about to go “full on bastard mode” this morning. Turns out the homework my youngest got given this weekend was a commercial vanity publishing scam poetry competition. Alas I am entering the poem for it as my English is about 7 year old quality. The letters down the edge will be RIP OFF CUNTS. If it gets published, which it will as they need to sell their product, I’m going to tell everyone who bought it, put my feet up and watch the chaos ensue.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:57:37 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline Henrik_V

• Regular Contributor
  • “ground” is a convenient fantasy
« Reply #42632 on: November 11, 2019, 09:17:01 am »
Got a packet with tubes...  about 20x RV12P2000 4x LS50, steel tubes and ...

one special tube filled with clean water  ;D 
870232-0

to short for full size SPRTs, but a beauty
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

The number you have dialed is imaginary, please turn your phone 90° and dial again!

The following users thanked this post: bd139, beanflying

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42633 on: November 11, 2019, 09:48:37 am »
I got nothing today other than this.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, shakalnokturn

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42634 on: November 11, 2019, 09:51:39 am »
Got a packet with tubes...  about 20x RV12P2000 4x LS50, steel tubes and ...

one special tube filled with clean water  ;D 
(Attachment Link)

to short for full size SPRTs, but a beauty

Nice Glassware  8)

I brought some Stainless Booze tubes and some sealed inserts tubes to make a water bath some time ago. Still on the list but I brought a couple of commercial temperature calibrators so it moved positions  ;)

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42635 on: November 11, 2019, 09:58:10 am »
So someone stumped up the full opening price for this one. I put in an offer a while back for what I thought it was worth  ::)  eBay auction: #143430784935

It is actually a rebadged Kikusui 539 and the operations manual is still available https://manual.kikusui.co.jp/NUMERIC/539_E.pdf

Still a cool toy from a time gone.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42636 on: November 11, 2019, 11:30:57 am »
Similar to my new toy. Replacement capacitors have been ordered and should arrive later this week.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #42637 on: November 11, 2019, 12:32:19 pm »
I need a suggestion for a cheap and decent DMM from aliexpress/eBay. Something that has a micro amps range, works properly without any weirdness, has thermocouple. Doesn’t need crazy resolution. 3.5 digits is fine.

Aneng AN8002 comes with a thermocouple. Costs US$10-20 depending on when/where you buy.

The 8002 doesn't have the microamp range.  The 8008 does, though.

They are somewhat similar but have different feature sets.

As noted above, check out Joe Smith's videos on them if you want (much!) more detail.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #42638 on: November 11, 2019, 03:36:51 pm »
Oh, hey... I was talking about the CORRECT way to fix it. The way I was taught in school & as an ASP for HP. What you hide under the hood is entirely up to you! And of course, there's always the question of "Is this for me, for someone I give a damn about, or some ding-dong off the intardnet...?" that will greatly affect just how much assache is reasonable to expend on a project.  :-+
mnem
*time for Rocket League with my son*

Yesterday I could not sleep thinking about clear nail lack so I will buy it today, Munich is a big gay city so I hope to get the job done with no strange looks from other people.
The moron K2001 will be repaired with clean lack because I want to try it out and it will remind me about TEA and mnem for the future.
It's the TEA tattoo for the K2001.

Meanwhile there is a boat from china which is carring those

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963345470.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32515105965.html

to me.

Hope the shelf life of those UV mask will be a long one. I will keep them in the dark so they should last longer.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 03:53:40 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #42639 on: November 11, 2019, 03:39:02 pm »
Random question for everybody. I need a suggestion for a cheap and decent DMM from aliexpress/eBay. Something that has a micro amps range, works properly without any weirdness, has thermocouple. Doesn’t need crazy resolution. 3.5 digits is fine. I’m going to write up an article on a cheap RF test bench for sprat. We’re in a golden age of cheap so makes sense to promote this.

How about the Aneng AN8009? This seems to fulfill your requirements:

Review:
https://lygte-info.dk/review/DMMAnengAN8009%20UK.html

Alibaba listing:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32839539223.html

And, as a bonus: it has an intelligent Anti-Burn!      :-//    :palm:   :-DD

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #42640 on: November 11, 2019, 03:53:17 pm »
And, as a bonus: it has an intelligent Anti-Burn!      :-//    :palm:   :-DD

A polyswitch, in other words...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42641 on: November 11, 2019, 03:54:50 pm »
And on that I’m about to go “full on bastard mode” this morning. Turns out the homework my youngest got given this weekend was a commercial vanity publishing scam poetry competition. Alas I am entering the poem for it as my English is about 7 year old quality. The letters down the edge will be RIP OFF CUNTS. If it gets published, which it will as they need to sell their product, I’m going to tell everyone who bought it, put my feet up and watch the chaos ensue.

I always suspected that you were a man after my own heart, now I'm sure.  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #42642 on: November 11, 2019, 04:04:50 pm »
Quote from: mnementh
I had not heard that MFTFB expression before,  :-DD

The variant I grew up with was "Like three monkeys fucking a football..." from my grand-dad; a bit more picturesque than the usual "charlie-foxtrot". But that little bobo's expression was perfect for the moment. :-DD

Yes but it takes a whole lot of expensive gear to reproduce the sound of that crap faithfully:-DD

That is true, but what you need to evaluate which gear is faithful are proper measurements that are complemented by double-blind listening tests...   ....the sheer amount of things that happen to sound before it is maimed by the FM compressor at the transmitter ; or, more often today, the "lossless" encoder at the streaming site, is mind-boggling.

/Måns, builds large networks to carry production audio over. Mostly using Chinesium RJ45 patch cords (or single-mode fiber). Without directional arrows on them.
Oh, the HORROR! All those poor confused electrons...  :scared:  bouncing about willy AND nilly, because you didn't tell them WHICH WAY TO GO...! :-DD

I need a suggestion for a cheap and decent DMM from aliexpress/eBay. Something that has a micro amps range, works properly without any weirdness, has thermocouple. Doesn’t need crazy resolution. 3.5 digits is fine.

Aneng AN8002 comes with a thermocouple. Costs US$10-20 depending on when/where you buy.

The 8002 doesn't have the microamp range.  The 8008 does, though. They are somewhat similar but have different feature sets. As noted above, check out Joe Smith's videos on them if you want (much!) more detail.

You are correct; I clearly missed that part. It will measure uA, but only as the last 2 decimals in the 60mA range. I have both; so sometimes the featuresets can get a little mixed up in my head.  :palm: I've attached a side-x-side comparis0n of the spec charts for those playing along at home.

There is good argument to be made for having both for bd's "e-bench on the cheap". Each has its strengths and weaknesses. But neither properly fulfill this criteria: "works properly without any weirdness"; both have firmware idiosyncrasies that one must be aware of when using them, and that will feel "just wrong" to anybody who's grown accustomed to using much more expensive gear from the larger name brands.

Random question for everybody. I need a suggestion for a cheap and decent DMM from aliexpress/eBay. Something that has a micro amps range, works properly without any weirdness, has thermocouple. Doesn’t need crazy resolution. 3.5 digits is fine. I’m going to write up an article on a cheap RF test bench for sprat. We’re in a golden age of cheap so makes sense to promote this.

How about the Aneng AN8009? This seems to fulfill your requirements:

Review:https://lygte-info.dk/review/DMMAnengAN8009%20UK.html   Alibaba listing: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32839539223.html   And, as a bonus: it has an intelligent Anti-Burn!      :-//    :palm:   :-DD

It appears the 8002 also has an updated revision with full AUTO mode and non-contact ACV detection, and it is on sale at approx US$14 for BG's 11.11 promotion: https://www.banggood.com/ANENG-AN113D-Intelligent-Auto-Measure-True-RMS-Digital-Multimeter-6000-Counts-Resistance-Diode-Continuity-Tester-Temperature-ACDC-Voltage-Current-Meter-Upgraded-from-AN8002-p-1568882.html

AN113D Manual is here: http://myosuploads3.banggood.com/products/20190924/20190924023233ANENGAN113D.pdf

mnem
 :-/O *tzzzt*  :-DMM

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 04:17:53 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #42643 on: November 11, 2019, 04:13:09 pm »
Oh, hey... I was talking about the CORRECT way to fix it. The way I was taught in school & as an ASP for HP. What you hide under the hood is entirely up to you! And of course, there's always the question of "Is this for me, for someone I give a damn about, or some ding-dong off the intardnet...?" that will greatly affect just how much assache is reasonable to expend on a project.  :-+
mnem

Yesterday I could not sleep thinking about clear nail lack so I will buy it today, Munich is a big gay city so I hope to get the job done with no strange looks from other people.
The moron K2001 will be repaired with clean lack because I want to try it out and it will remind me about TEA and mnem for the future.
It's the TEA tattoo for the K2001.

Meanwhile there is a boat from china which is carring those

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963345470.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32515105965.html

to me.

Hope the shelf life of those UV mask will be a long one. I will keep them in the dark so they should last longer.

After repair, your should put a sticker into it.
Something like:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #42644 on: November 11, 2019, 04:16:54 pm »

Oh, the HORROR! All those poor confused electrons... bouncing about willy AND nilly, because you didn't tell them WHICH WAY TO GO...! :-DD

Indeed. Borderline reckless it is. Today I did some harm of similar kind to photons as well, because $very_expensive_dsp_engine that we're upgrading one of our big mixing desks with only talks using SFP plugs for singlemode fiber. The only thing stopping mayhem is that the fiber SFP actually HAS directional arrows on it:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42645 on: November 11, 2019, 05:16:51 pm »

Oh, the HORROR! All those poor confused electrons... bouncing about willy AND nilly, because you didn't tell them WHICH WAY TO GO...! :-DD

Indeed. Borderline reckless it is. Today I did some harm of similar kind to photons as well, because $very_expensive_dsp_engine that we're upgrading one of our big mixing desks with only talks using SFP plugs for singlemode fiber. The only thing stopping mayhem is that the fiber SFP actually HAS directional arrows on it:

Looks very familiar. Used on IBM Z Series fiber channels.  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42646 on: November 11, 2019, 05:23:07 pm »
Lars should have stuck to tennis.

As for the free trays with makeup thing. Three points. Firstly as Mr Scram points out, the makeup costs a lot of money to get the free stuff. The free stuff is a disingenuous apology. Secondly the situation is now not that I get the free stuff because it turns out that it’s quite expensive when you’ve got to pay for it yourself and you have to do that if you’re a cheating bitch :)Thirdly if I did it would be covered in gunk which I don’t want near my kit.

Evidently you missed the part where I deliberately turned the tables to make fun of myself; I'm the one usually defending hobbyist-grade 3DP as no longer a useless waste of time but now a valid means of "on-demand production of goods".  8)

That clearly falls into the same category as "We won't talk about my whirry little flying things and the ominous humm coming from my workbench corner as long as we don't mention your handbag & manicure habit."  ;)

NMFP. Also, really just a subset of the first point.  :P

One run through the dishwasher will make very short work of any remains, and you full-well know it. Also... not a problem if you marry well. My wife uses every last particle of what comes in her makeup containers... not enough left to powder a gnat's ass. :-DD

11th grade... English lit essay on rhyme & meter. B L O W M E in oversized calligraphy font at the start of each example verse. Grade came back (A-) "Vulgar typesetting did not add value to finished work." and at the end: "Not with rented lips." ;) We became good friends for many years after that... she introduced me to my first fiancee. Who was, incidentally, a batshit crazy redhead. :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42647 on: November 11, 2019, 05:47:09 pm »
mnem
Yesterday I could not sleep thinking about clear nail lack so I will buy it today, Munich is a big gay city so I hope to get the job done with no strange looks from other people. The moron K2001 will be repaired with clean lack because I want to try it out and it will remind me about TEA and mnem for the future. It's the TEA tattoo for the K2001.

Meanwhile there is a boat from china which is carring those: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963345470.html https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32515105965.html to me. Hope the shelf life of those UV mask will be a long one. I will keep them in the dark so they should last longer.

OMG z... I didn't mean to send you on a "Quest for the Holy Shellac of PC and the B"... it was just idle "mechanic water-cooler chit-chat"...  :palm:

But you did get your revenge; that UV curing shellac is now on MY MIND... and now that I know about it, and how affordable it is... it WILL be on its way to me sooner or later. Of course, I already own several quality UV lights. |O

After repair, your should put a sticker into it. Something like:

The dwagon approves!

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42648 on: November 11, 2019, 06:01:38 pm »
Got a packet with tubes...  about 20x RV12P2000 4x LS50, steel tubes and ...one special tube filled with clean water  ;D      too short for full size SPRTs, but a beauty.

>:D

mnem
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:05:57 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: InductorbackEMF

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42649 on: November 11, 2019, 06:04:26 pm »
...my first fiancee. Who was, incidentally, a batshit crazy redhead.[/b][/color] :-DD

Weirdly, I also had a, let's be charitable, less than 100% equitably balanced redhead as a first fiancée.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf