Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553281 times)

battlecoder, HalFoster, SingleBitError and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #42675 on: November 12, 2019, 12:20:52 am »

What is so wrong with good old instant coffee from a jar, like Nescafe etc (battening down the hatches from the abuse that will surely come now from the seasoned coffee drinkers)  >:D :-DD :-DD :-DD

I don't have the words to describe fully the wrongness of the above statement  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42676 on: November 12, 2019, 12:22:45 am »
What is so wrong with good old instant coffee from a jar, like Nescafe etc

Nothing, so long as you don't expect it to taste anything like actual coffee. If you're just after a hot, brown, dose of caffeine it's fine.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #42677 on: November 12, 2019, 12:42:17 am »
No pictures. The carnage is too horrific for those with weak constitutions.  :scared: The Fluke 8810A has been stripped for parts.  :o Specifically the entire front LED/Switch board assembly and the main range switching relay. One the 8800A's was still experiencing intermittent manual range issues so those parts were swapped out. The result is the 8800A is now rock solid and the 8810A is in a sorry state. But it's survival of the fittest a the drifty 8810A was the sacrifice.  :scared: The 8800A was recalibrated and it's in spec on all ranges.

And here's an interesting tidbit....the LED/Switch board out of the 8810A was labeled “8800A”. More confusion as to what is different, if anything, between  them.    :-//

holy shitballs!  the poor thing was just a wee bit off in the least significant digit and you went all Hannibal Lecter on its ass?

where is the compassion?  oh the humanity!

couldn't you have just painted it (or slapped a fan on the back)?

gonna' go hide my drifty meters lest this is insanity is contagious and crosses the border into pennsylvania.

BEWARE OF NEW YORKERS WITH HAND TOOLS!

ah my friend, the world of TEA has always been red of tooth and claw. always.  >:D
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42678 on: November 12, 2019, 12:44:19 am »

Fuck pods, fuck the machines that use them, and fuck the people who use the machines. They are a pox on the soul of humanity; utterly unmitigated shit in a convenient, easy to carry package. >:(

mnem
 :horse:

thank goodness that getting out of the suck has restored you to your easy going, live and let live, ways. 

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42679 on: November 12, 2019, 12:53:20 am »

What is so wrong with good old instant coffee from a jar, like Nescafe etc (battening down the hatches from the abuse that will surely come now from the seasoned coffee drinkers)  >:D :-DD :-DD :-DD

You must really like abuse.  :palm:  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42680 on: November 12, 2019, 12:57:16 am »
No pictures. The carnage is too horrific for those with weak constitutions.  :scared: The Fluke 8810A has been stripped for parts.  :o Specifically the entire front LED/Switch board assembly and the main range switching relay. One the 8800A's was still experiencing intermittent manual range issues so those parts were swapped out. The result is the 8800A is now rock solid and the 8810A is in a sorry state. But it's survival of the fittest a the drifty 8810A was the sacrifice.  :scared: The 8800A was recalibrated and it's in spec on all ranges.

And here's an interesting tidbit....the LED/Switch board out of the 8810A was labeled “8800A”. More confusion as to what is different, if anything, between  them.    :-//

holy shitballs!  the poor thing was just a wee bit off in the least significant digit and you went all Hannibal Lecter on its ass?

where is the compassion?  oh the humanity!

gonna' go hide my drifty meters lest this is insanity is contagious and crosses the border into pennsylvania.

BEWARE OF NEW YORKERS WITH HAND TOOLS!

ah my friend, the world of TEA has always been red of tooth and claw. always.  >:D

I gave the 8810A every opportunity to redeem itself. I worked on for days monitoring it and it turns around and fails it's final exam.  :--   :-BROKE  I have no regrets.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42681 on: November 12, 2019, 12:57:36 am »
Because it tastes like the devils smeg.
I guess that I've not become addicted to caffine then because I'm just as happy to drink coffee from a jar or perculator, tea, chocolate, fizzy pops, cordials or nice cold milk or even a beer or two, I'm a non-conformist  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42682 on: November 12, 2019, 01:08:38 am »
Maybe this sums up my thoughts on Instunt so called Coffee as I sip the mornings third tasty Guatemalan  single origin >:D

Ever wondered why instant tastes so crap. Generally it is made from Robusta rather than Arabica and made from the cheapest rubbish of that even then.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:54:04 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #42683 on: November 12, 2019, 02:14:12 am »
   Fuck pods, fuck the machines that use them, and fuck the people who use the machines. They are a pox on the soul of humanity; utterly unmitigated shit in a convenient, easy to carry package. >:(

mnem
 :horse:
thank goodness that getting out of the suck has restored you to your easy going, live and let live, ways. 

Hah! I agree with EVERYTHING I've read on this page, in one way or another. Howzz datt furr eazy-gooin'? :-DD

mnem
And I'll STILL drink instant from time to time... it gets me going enough to make a pot of real coffee, and it STILL beats chewing on a used coffee filter if I don't have any real coffee.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, InductorbackEMF

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42684 on: November 12, 2019, 05:08:37 am »

mnem
*unrepentant*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, InductorbackEMF

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42685 on: November 12, 2019, 05:11:12 am »
@med version  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42686 on: November 12, 2019, 05:32:52 am »
I am not much for appliance radios and even less for RF gear that is designed to appeal to iphone users, so my experiment with DMR was bound to end badly.  I picked up an MD380 specifically because it had been hacked and there was some chance that I could do something interesting with it. 

Well I did do something interesting with it... i bricked it.   |O 

:rant: begins here:  no documentation, poorly written programming software, badly translated from Chinese, no support, device options that are unexplained yet if mis-set will prevent proper functioning of the radio without yielding a clue as to why, and yes the ability to turn the radio into a useless black plastic block with a screen because the most basic error checking is not built into the software. 

all of which i knew, yet i just wasted dozens of hours scanning websites, reading obscure reddit threads and blogs, motorola product manuals and prepper websites trying to garner enough information to program and use a radio that will connect to a bunch of 2M DMR repeaters that I won't use any more than I use the 2M FM repeaters that already surround me by the hundreds. not to mention the hundred or so bucks for a radio that isn't even worth scavenging for parts because it doesn't really have any.

seriously, what was i thinking? DMR? really?   :wtf: did i mention that i am a flippin' idiot?   :rant: ends here, you may return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42687 on: November 12, 2019, 05:34:24 am »

This video shows that it flashes in DFU mode; this indicates it is STM32-based. Unless they're doing something REALLY stupid with it that requires burning several firmware fuses, the bootloader is stored in protected ROM and CANNOT be harmed. This means there has to be a way to recover it; you are not bricked permanently. Good luck, buddy. :-+

@bean: :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:43:31 am by mnementh »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42688 on: November 12, 2019, 06:03:51 am »
If anyone has a whinge about layer lines in 3D printing show them the Laser version  ;)

Or go Basic Instinct on them when combined with part B  >:D

Non TEA I know but making tools is fun.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42689 on: November 12, 2019, 06:43:11 am »
 So... Making a scratch-awl out of a unicr0n hr0n?  :-DD

mnem
 :=\

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42690 on: November 12, 2019, 06:48:39 am »

This video shows that it flashes in DFU mode; this indicates it is STM32-based. Unless they're doing something REALLY stupid with it that requires burning several firmware fuses, the bootloader is stored in protected ROM and CANNOT be harmed. This means there has to be a way to recover it; you are not bricked permanently. Good luck, buddy. :-+

@bean: :-DD

mnem
(Attachment Link)

Thanks @mnen.

At this point, I am completely over dealing with the blackboxness of the whole thing and have made enough dumb mistakes trying to figure it out, that I just need to set it aside and go to bed.  I will take another look at it tomorrow. My hypothesis is that I've managed to create a mismatch between the firmware version, the ucontroller, and the tool chain.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #42691 on: November 12, 2019, 07:39:16 am »

:scared:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #42692 on: November 12, 2019, 08:04:02 am »
Been a hectic couple of days.

Scored a couple of items from fleabay for a total expenditure of $22.99.  They were a bit out of my way - but were close to each other, so a single trip was the aim.  I integrated this with a journey to a family dinner, which added 2 hours.

$22
GoldStar OS-7020 20MHz 2 channel Oscilliscope + 2x probes + service manual (Yes, with schematics!).

$0.99 (uncontested)
30kV voltmeter.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:08:50 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, beanflying, olafwagner

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42693 on: November 12, 2019, 08:11:52 am »
Been a hectic couple of days.

Scored a couple of items from fleabay for a total expenditure of $22.99.  They were a bit out of my way - but were close to each other, so a single trip was the aim.  I integrated this with a journey to a family dinner, which added 2 hours.

$22
GoldStar OS-7020 20MHz 2 channel Oscilliscope + 2x probes + service manual (Yes, with schematics!).

30kV voltmeter.

Bonus Danger points for adding the Family into a TEA pickup  :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #42694 on: November 12, 2019, 08:22:50 am »
As I may have mentioned earlier ... these acquisitions can be attributed to my enabler ^ ^ ^.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42695 on: November 12, 2019, 09:06:29 am »
Oooh how can I not?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42696 on: November 12, 2019, 09:23:28 am »
@med version  ;D

(Attachment Link)

Funny...but caffeine does not bother me at all.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #42697 on: November 12, 2019, 09:39:55 am »
Is that stuff any good?  I see silly commercials on this side of the pond and wonder.  I am not a serious coffee drinker (sorry, bean) as life is too crazy to add caffeine to the mix.  When I do, it is some iced coffee first thing in the morning as Flori-DUH never really gets cold enough for a hot drink.

the taste is ok. Nothing superb as George Cloney believes.

What bothers me:
1) How much alu goes in the dump field
2) Probably 40% of what you pay goes in the commercial brand image killmyself.
3) The machine is a machine and will go tits up one day.

A good old Bialetti with a nice fresh grind coffee is hard to beat.

And it is Nestlé.  :--
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: grbk

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42698 on: November 12, 2019, 09:41:44 am »
Oooh how can I not?

Wow, all from the same seller too, go on fill your boots but I'll stick with my TTi TG120, does exactly the same functions but gives me 20 times the headroom should I need it plus a symmetry control to correct any distortion.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42699 on: November 12, 2019, 09:53:27 am »
Oooh how can I not?

How many you gonna get?  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf