Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563476 times)

Robert763 and 30 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #42750 on: November 13, 2019, 10:24:44 pm »
I noticed that the seller indicated that the store function no longer works. That's not surprising. Those special "flood gun" CRT's have a very limited and finite life cycle for the store function. However, they will continue to operate like normal CRT's.
If I recall correctly, there is one on offer in Germany currently.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42751 on: November 13, 2019, 10:30:01 pm »
Are you deaf? I had two of them for a bit and had to get rid of the bloody things because they were so loud!  :-DD

your need for peace and quiet in the lab far exceeds mine. a little fan noise? pffft. whatever.  :-DD

Agreed, I can easily tune out fan noise.   :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42752 on: November 13, 2019, 10:33:50 pm »
Anyone ever wondered why so much shit from China / Hong Kong arrives broken, take a gander at this video

Is that where Hermes employees go for their training?  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42753 on: November 13, 2019, 11:03:16 pm »
That really looks great, but I have no idea as to why you seem so amazed that it works  :-// That blue looks business like to my eye and is perfectly acceptable colour for bench gear.  :-+

I was slightly worried it'd snag on enamelled wire. Seems ok though!

Dekatron displays, anyone? £30, 2 days left to run.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-Panax-Equipment-Scaler-Type-102ST-UNTESTED/293328000012?redirect=mobile

Eeeesh I fear that would lead to a stupid sized project if I went near that.  :scared:

your need for peace and quiet in the lab far exceeds mine. a little fan noise? pffft. whatever.  :-DD
Agreed, I can easily tune out fan noise.   :-+

I'm hypersensitive to it. Does my head in. Also "the lab" is the corner of the living room for me. The Ender is loud enough  :-DD

So it could be a bargain or a heap of crap, place your bets now  >:D

Like I said, if it fails to suitably impress, I will be persuing a refund  :-DD

You might be onto a winner. I know someone who has something similar and it's quite good. Certainly the real thing isn't worth the extra cash at least!

Is that where Hermes employees go for their training?  :-DD

Training?!?!?!?  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42754 on: November 13, 2019, 11:30:31 pm »

You might be onto a winner. I know someone who has something similar and it's quite good. Certainly the real thing isn't worth the extra cash at least!

That was my thinking, the real thing is £429, I also have the big daddy of Red Arrows watches and that one is £695 and those ones only ever come out on special occassions, whereas this knock off one, providing it does what it says, is something I could afford to wear as a day to day general watch and still look great on the wrist  ^-^
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42755 on: November 13, 2019, 11:46:40 pm »
It’d get nicked here before I left the front gate  :-DD

Just realised I don’t actually own any watches now. My eldest nicked my F91W for exams

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42756 on: November 14, 2019, 12:01:15 am »
It’d get nicked here before I left the front gate  :-DD

Just realised I don’t actually own any watches now. My eldest nicked my F91W for exams
My G10 did prove to be totally spot-on. Approximately 2..3s per month.  :-+ Thinking about getting a spare.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #42757 on: November 14, 2019, 12:28:54 am »
Printed all the bits, glued, assembled and it works!

Lessons learned:

1. Z tolerance is much better than Y and Z tolerances so leave ~0.5 padding on X/Y dimensions to go inside slots end of stuff and observe thickness carefully.
2. Make big holes in shit. Takes less time to print!

Back to lurking on eBay now for test gear!

Looks good  :-+ My current brain is seeing it made from sheets and Laser cut because .... :-DD

If you are doing pull throughs in 3D prints grab some teflon bowden tube and insert a bit into the design. Not much of an issue here but if you were using some sort of motorised winder for bobbins it might become one with friction causing some meltage.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #42758 on: November 14, 2019, 12:36:19 am »
My G10 did prove to be totally spot-on. Approximately 2..3s per month.  :-+ Thinking about getting a spare.
So is it spot-on or is it 2-3 seconds a month out?  >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #42759 on: November 14, 2019, 12:39:30 am »

That was my thinking, the real thing is £429, I also have the big daddy of Red Arrows watches and that one is £695 and those ones only ever come out on special occassions, whereas this knock off one, providing it does what it says, is something I could afford to wear as a day to day general watch and still look great on the wrist  ^-^

Awww... you didn't want a go at the $38 Polex with ad text for a Seiko...?  :-DD

A watch with RCC for £17...? I find that highly suspect...

mnem
 :bullshit:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 12:46:03 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42760 on: November 14, 2019, 12:46:54 am »
I was intending to give you an update on how my work is totally taking care of the problem how to spend my time and energy, and report on how some people at work 'pulled a Elsie the Cow' (die Kuh Elsa) on me.

Then it dawned upon me that this would have gotten me blank stares bereft of any understanding from the anglophone world, as this piece of humor might never have been translated. I'll have to locate a transcription and translate it, but I can show you what the technical context was.

My charming PM (only a very slight reddish tinge) came to me asking for help 'just to answer a few questions from a customer'. Those few questions made me queasy even before I found out that they were actually only a short excerpt of a longer communication, from what I discovered to be a severely miffed customer, which culminated in 'can possibly aurora have something to do with that?' Duh. Yes, it can. Looking at the recordings of solar emanations over the last year, I then discovered that we were very lucky that the extent of the interference of forementioned geo-astro-physical effect decided to stop just short of the point where two other customer systems would have come into its reach.
The other, quite unsavoury part is played by a big manufacturer of GPS stuff, who first declared to be totally clear for the week rollover last april (which they totally weren't), and shortly afterwards started to produce SW updates with an alarming frequency.
SW updates for distributed GPS receivers in a country where reaching the installations involve helicopters.
 :scared:
And then OUR legal beagles start to play games over the signing of a NDA which would be a prerequisite to getting the abovementioned manufacturer to talk shop with me.
It is not that I need to dig to discover more related dung - it seems to be sufficient to stand near the shovel.

BTW, we have an open position now (Karlsruhe, Germany)! Someone with solid RF (not SW, SHF) knowledge and an affinity to aviation and mind-wrecking troubles feeling lucky? Grab your stick, get onto the equine corpse and let me know! :horse:
If you are good, maybe I can make a getaway. :phew:

Currently at 350% personal utilisation. Don't be scared, starters get only 200%.

The following users thanked this post: grbk

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42761 on: November 14, 2019, 12:53:59 am »
So is it spot-on or is it 2-3 seconds a month out?  >:D
I can honestly say that my 2 red arrows watches are spot on, they are checked to the second daily at 2.00AM and adjusted if needed, automatically by connecting to the atomic clock, which does day, date, year and also DST, all automatically set or adjusted, and never need a battery as they are solar driven.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42762 on: November 14, 2019, 01:06:33 am »

Awww... you didn't want a go at the $38 Polex with ad text for a Seiko...?  :-DD

A watch with RCC for £17...? I find that highly suspect...

mnem
Nah, those fake Rolex and Brietling watches don't cut it for me and real Rolex's still don't look anything special to me.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42763 on: November 14, 2019, 01:09:47 am »

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/3316

"Pulled a Elsie the Cow...?"

mnem
 :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42764 on: November 14, 2019, 01:41:05 am »
I was intending to give you an update on how my work is totally taking care of the problem how to spend my time and energy, and report on how some people at work 'pulled a Elsie the Cow' (die Kuh Elsa) on me.

Then it dawned upon me that this would have gotten me blank stares bereft of any understanding from the anglophone world, as this piece of humor might never have been translated. I'll have to locate a transcription and translate it, but I can show you what the technical context was.

We still need telling about Elsa. Not one I've heard, and I know all about Rhabarberbabarabarbarbarenbartbabierbierbarbärbel...  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42765 on: November 14, 2019, 01:42:46 am »

Ah-hah! (I think...) Die Kuh Elsa (Nonstop Nonsense) was a comedy show in the '70s-80s.

mnem
*lost in translation*
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 01:45:13 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #42766 on: November 14, 2019, 01:46:14 am »
.... and I know all about Rhabarberbabarabarbarbarenbartbabierbierbarbärbel...  :)

Had to look that one up....

(You don't need to be able to speak German to follow this.)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 01:48:06 am by Brumby »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42767 on: November 14, 2019, 01:51:43 am »
Well, now I know where to go when I want to get a slice of rhubarb pie and sing barbershop quartet over a beer with barbarians!!! :-DD

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42768 on: November 14, 2019, 01:59:25 am »
(SNIP)
mnem
Nah, those fake Rolex and Brietling watches don't cut it for me and real Rolex's still don't look anything special to me.

Oh yes, a Rolex is just a watch; but a Polex... now THAT'S SOMETHING!!!  :-DD

mnem
Not sure exactly what... but something, to be sure. :o

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #42769 on: November 14, 2019, 05:14:34 am »
Holy piles of posts, Batman! I'm so behind on this thread. Maybe I'll catch up by New Year's.

Hope everyone's enjoying their therapy while I've been distracted by less fun stuff. :-DD

Oh yes, a Rolex is just a watch; but a Polex... now THAT'S SOMETHING!!!  :-DD

Ah, yes. I've seen a Bolex watch before. Looked OK until you picked it up. Even worse when you unscrewed the crown.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 05:16:16 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #42770 on: November 14, 2019, 08:11:54 am »
Dekatron displays, anyone? £30, 2 days left to run.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-Panax-Equipment-Scaler-Type-102ST-UNTESTED/293328000012?redirect=mobile

Eeeesh I fear that would lead to a stupid sized project if I went near that.  :scared:

How can you be scared of something that is cuter than any cat?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42771 on: November 14, 2019, 08:24:04 am »
I am scared of the outcome as such. Having had a deep technical discussion on the witch computer and written a python virtual machine which is similar to it, I propose that I may end up with several hundred dekatrons and a large electricity bill if I buy one :)

And yes it’s definitely cuter than a cat.

Talking of cats, my neighbour’s cat had to be put down the other day after it lost a fight with a bushy tailed rat. I had to hold back the tears of joy when she told me she’s not getting another one  :-DD
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 08:40:57 am by bd139 »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #42772 on: November 14, 2019, 10:43:22 am »
I am scared of the outcome as such. Having had a deep technical discussion on the witch computer and written a python virtual machine which is similar to it, I propose that I may end up with several hundred dekatrons and a large electricity bill if I buy one :)

A1: you would soon sell it to get a Ge transistor serial machine, e.g. an Elliott 803 in the next room to the Witch. (And then regret and make/buy another dekatron machine)

A2: I'll buy you one dekatron, if others chip in.

A3: ah, youngsters. No self-control.

And yes it’s definitely cuter than a cat.

Most animals are :)

Talking of cats, my neighbour’s cat had to be put down the other day after it lost a fight with a bushy tailed rat. I had to hold back the tears of joy when she told me she’s not getting another one  :-DD

Those tree rats can defend themselves. I've talked to an owner whose dog's eyeball had been scratched by one.

My daughter's dog is a superb rat/mouse detector - as proven in two houses and one shop :) Despite its belly only being about 4" off the ground, its peak pursuit speed is 24mph (as measured by a GPS receiver I strapped to its back).

It loves tree rats, but hasn't quite caught one yet. There is a suspicion that it really likes the chase, and has pulled its punches teeth at the last second.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42773 on: November 14, 2019, 11:03:24 am »

A1: you would soon sell it to get a Ge transistor serial machine, e.g. an Elliott 803 in the next room to the Witch. (And then regret and make/buy another dekatron machine)

A2: I'll buy you one dekatron, if others chip in.

A3: ah, youngsters. No self-control.

Don't even start me on A1. I already have a copy of this downloaded and enough transistors stashed to build it! http://www.smrcc.org.uk/members/g4ugm/Manuals/wirelessworldcomputer.pdf

As for A2, just no. don't even go there :)

A3 working on it as I get older :)

Those tree rats can defend themselves. I've talked to an owner whose dog's eyeball had been scratched by one.

My daughter's dog is a superb rat/mouse detector - as proven in two houses and one shop :) Despite its belly only being about 4" off the ground, its peak pursuit speed is 24mph (as measured by a GPS receiver I strapped to its back).

It loves tree rats, but hasn't quite caught one yet. There is a suspicion that it really likes the chase, and has pulled its punches teeth at the last second.

Yes we had a Jack Russel. Tiny thing. Just had to take it up to the local stable and say "rats" and it was off like a torpedo and would return with the mangled carcass of one. Rinse, repeat with the odd interlude for water and it'd get quite a few in a day.  It was much more fun shooting the rats with a shotgun though - still got a couple of scars on my leg from some shot that bounced off a fence  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42774 on: November 14, 2019, 11:09:48 am »
Got rats? Get mink.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf