Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14786257 times)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43175 on: November 21, 2019, 08:22:44 am »
Yeah it is. Have had to put it off for a couple of days. Just found the sodding fridge has conked out :--. Literally 2 hours after a week of shopping arrived FFS.

My fridge is >30 years old, as is my dishwasher. I've had them from new. No, they weren't particularly expensive examples.
My freezer is >25years old, and cost £10 second hand.
Car is 15years/0.11Mmiles old, gets serviced twice a decade whether it needs it or not.

Two things spring to mind here, yes of course appliances will typically last that long if you don't switch them on  >:D :-DD :-DD 

Unfortunately for that contention, they have been in use continually.

Seriously appliance were really made much better than they are today, back in the day when you brought those, even over engineered in some cases, barn door engineering is the phrase I think?

They were far from the most expensive items on the market at the time - so well engineered rather than over engineered.

I have to admit that I've had to pre-emptively repair the dishwasher's metal racks, since some of the plastic was cracking. Sugru is wonderful stuff :)

So, WTF is going on under the flightpath into Heathrow? :) Alternatively, since I used Which?'s reports as the basis for most of those choices, I consider that subscription a bargain :)

Do you still subscribe? If so and have done ever since you made those purchases then its possible that you might have over the years paid the différance once you get round to actually replacing them no? :-// :-DD :-DD

I do still subscribe, and I do still use the reviews. The benefits are:
  • saving my time by directing my attention to the better alternatives. Example: when buying a car I (1) look to see the top 2/3 cars for reliability (2) go and sit in an example of each to see which is most comfortable (3) search for an example of that type
  • for subjects I don't know much about, it indicates which questions I need to consider
  • buying more reliable things => spending less time/money on shopping (and more on TEA :( )
  • avoiding unnecessary expense. My father claimed that the subscription paid for itself, because he switched to using ordinary soap rather than Cusson's Imperial Leather
  • it has (some) product/manufacturer reliabilty information
  • they actually use the damn things. Imperfect? Of course. But better than most other sources which are thinly disguised press releases along the lines of "I've unboxed it and think it is better than sliced bread". (Mind you, even Which? is beginning to fall into that trap :( ).

Having said that I'm pissed off that much of the detailed information is only on the website, in a form that is unnecessarily difficult to digest
  • there's too little information on each page, presumably to cater for those prats that only have handheld computers with 3" screens. Typically each product's review is sperad over four(!) pages
  • the "star rating" tables summarising the quality/price of each product's multiple attributes only allows 4 items to be compared
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43177 on: November 21, 2019, 08:30:57 am »
@bd139, That's a real bummer but look on the Brightside, its also Black Friday this week, you might find a real bargain fridge. Start trawling the web looking the early bird deals, Amazon have emailing me with their earlybird deals because I'm a prime user, just got myself an Amazon Echo Plus with a £100 off for just £49.99, now to look for compatible gear that I can remotely control via it and then I can be a proper coach potato  :-DD :-DD

Bezos listening to you fap  :-DD

Yeah it is. Have had to put it off for a couple of days. Just found the sodding fridge has conked out :--. Literally 2 hours after a week of shopping arrived FFS.

My fridge is >30 years old, as is my dishwasher. I've had them from new. No, they weren't particularly expensive examples.
My freezer is >25years old, and cost £10 second hand.
Car is 15years/0.11Mmiles old, gets serviced twice a decade whether it needs it or not.

So, WTF is going on under the flightpath into Heathrow? :) Alternatively, since I used Which?'s reports as the basis for most of those choices, I consider that subscription a bargain :)

Just ordered one of AO.com. Will be here Monday. The fridge is 15 years old. I’m not complaining. TCO was around £1.50 a month. It’s probably repairable but the door plastics are cracked. Honestly I expect 3 years out of all white goods. Anything else is a bonus.

I never buy high end devices. My neighbour filled his kitchen up with top end Miele stuff, just so he could show everyone. Seen it being carted off a couple of times already which is funny as all he does is microwave stuff.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43178 on: November 21, 2019, 08:56:19 am »
Martin.M I admire when you start a project you seem to close it in a short time.
I have tons of projects open and I do not know when I will end them...  :horse:

Thanks for posting here, amazing!
You're exactly like me, then! And all those unfinished projects use up so much of the scarce space.

I really need to get going during the winter vacation!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43179 on: November 21, 2019, 09:12:47 am »
Honestly I expect 3 years out of all white goods. Anything else is a bonus.

I never buy high end devices. My neighbour filled his kitchen up with top end Miele stuff, just so he could show everyone. Seen it being carted off a couple of times already which is funny as all he does is microwave stuff.

Agree wholeheartedly about the high end stuff. Having said that, maybe your neighbour wasn't disposing the Miele stuff because of unreliability.

Apart from that, the only kitchen item I buy expecting to have a limited lifespan is non-stick frying pans. I buy several of Asda's cheapest at the same time, and accept that the PTFE will inevitably wear, and that I might ruin it in short order by overheating it once.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #43180 on: November 21, 2019, 09:35:31 am »

That be correct. I build those occasionally using opamps. They're pretty good. It's possible with a not too shoddy opamp to get a remarkably good sine out. Heathkit also featured the same feedback mechanism in the ET-3100 trainer which actually had a better signal generator than some function generators on the market!

Only problem is they take time to settle, age poorly and usually require manual trimming. Thus they are replaced with a JFET as a variable resistor driven from a peak detector on the output now.

I noticed a design in AoE 3e which was quite interesting. They used a crap square oscillator running at 10x the frequency desired and rammed it through a switched capacitor filter. Very neat. I might build one.

A couple of weeks ago I did a similar thing, based on a LT design (OpAmp: LT 1037):

Link to the LT website:
https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/reference-designs/circuit-collections/lt1007-lt1037-ultrapure-1khz-sine-wave-generator.html

Playing around with them:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #43181 on: November 21, 2019, 09:42:46 am »
So, WTF is going on under the flightpath into Heathrow? :)

Chemtrails.  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43182 on: November 21, 2019, 09:47:42 am »

Chemtrails.  ;D

Through the roof into a bedroom?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43183 on: November 21, 2019, 09:53:50 am »
Honestly I expect 3 years out of all white goods. Anything else is a bonus.

Agree wholeheartedly about the high end stuff. Having said that, maybe your neighbour wasn't disposing the Miele stuff because of unreliability.

Apart from that, the only kitchen item I buy expecting to have a limited lifespan is non-stick frying pans. I buy several of Asda's cheapest at the same time, and accept that the PTFE will inevitably wear, and that I might ruin it in short order by overheating it once.

It was a Miele service van so I assume they were swapping them out.

I found that Ikea sold the best frying pans. I've had a couple of these for nearly 10 years without knackering them https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/oumbaerlig-frying-pan-50292096/

Chemtrails.  ;D

Through the roof into a bedroom?

Don't need chemtrails. If it's a busy night you can smell the kerosine in the air!

That be correct. I build those occasionally using opamps. They're pretty good. It's possible with a not too shoddy opamp to get a remarkably good sine out. Heathkit also featured the same feedback mechanism in the ET-3100 trainer which actually had a better signal generator than some function generators on the market!

Only problem is they take time to settle, age poorly and usually require manual trimming. Thus they are replaced with a JFET as a variable resistor driven from a peak detector on the output now.

I noticed a design in AoE 3e which was quite interesting. They used a crap square oscillator running at 10x the frequency desired and rammed it through a switched capacitor filter. Very neat. I might build one.

A couple of weeks ago I did a similar thing, based on a LT design (OpAmp: LT 1037):

Link to the LT website:
https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/reference-designs/circuit-collections/lt1007-lt1037-ultrapure-1khz-sine-wave-generator.html

Playing around with them:

That's very cool. I will read that later in detail  :-+

I made a quadrature oscillator with diodes as amplitude feedback a while back so I could draw balls :) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1931791/#msg1931791

I did actually build it and it worked with LM324's
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 09:57:28 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #43184 on: November 21, 2019, 10:04:11 am »

I made a quadrature oscillator with diodes as amplitude feedback a while back so I could draw balls :) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1931791/#msg1931791

*LOL*

A screensaver for the scope, how nice.  :-+
If I have some time over Christmas I'll build one as well.  :D
Thanks for the link.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43185 on: November 21, 2019, 10:29:06 am »
I've one of these as my "scope screensaver": https://vintagetek.org/vintagetek-demo-board/
It's usually connected to my Tek 2465 when the scope is powered but not being used.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43186 on: November 21, 2019, 10:35:36 am »

For a "proper" scope screensaver, consider a chaotic oscillator.
https://www.instructables.com/id/A-Simple-Chaos-Generator/
https://www.chaotic-circuits.com/ (idiotic formatting, but reasonable refs)

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43187 on: November 21, 2019, 10:44:02 am »

*LOL*

Thanks for the link.

Built version looked like this:

For a "proper" scope screensaver, consider a chaotic oscillator.
https://www.instructables.com/id/A-Simple-Chaos-Generator/
https://www.chaotic-circuits.com/ (idiotic formatting, but reasonable refs)

I'm going to have to dig the 1740A out from underneath my bed now  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, factory

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43188 on: November 21, 2019, 12:15:43 pm »

Refrigerators are typically very easy to troubleshoot and repair. Treat it just like any other piece of electronic equipment.

Watch Mr Carlson's video for troubleshooting advice: 

In my experience, if it isn't the compressor motor that's died, it's usually bad cRapacitors or stuck relays.

Now off to another 12 hour day at work. Taking thanksgiving week off one job to turn a 12 car metal building into an auto repair shop and finish assembling two vehicles.  :box:

EDIT:   If the compressor motor is starting to seize up, you may be able to pull a few more noisy days of operation out of it by lubricating the bearings with sewing machine oil and rotating it by hand until it's freed up enough to start. Did this with a furnace draft inducer motor last week.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 12:19:21 pm by Addicted2AnalogTek »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43189 on: November 21, 2019, 12:48:00 pm »
The aluminum pipe-wrench is just because I stole it for $US5 while out thrifting.  >:D

An aluminium hammer/wrecking bar? What use is that?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43190 on: November 21, 2019, 12:48:37 pm »
You know mnem has gone over the edge when he starts dressing his PSU in fishnet stockings...

:-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, InductorbackEMF

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #43191 on: November 21, 2019, 12:53:19 pm »
You know mnem has gone over the edge when he starts dressing his PSU in fishnet stockings...

A dragon has to do, what a dragon must do. Or so. :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43192 on: November 21, 2019, 12:58:59 pm »

Gives a whole new meaning to a "cheap PSU".

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, InductorbackEMF, AVGresponding

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43193 on: November 21, 2019, 01:03:04 pm »

Our Dyson vacuum cleaner died recently after about 20 years. To be honest, it lost a lot of its suck after five and required regular dismantling, internal cleaning and general refurbishment to get it to regain some of its initial power.

I had a brainwave when I was wondering what to replace it with. It suddenly occurred to me that there was one vacuum cleaner brand that I'd seen being dragged around by cleaners in almost every hotel I've ever stayed in. If anybody knows something about vacuum cleaner effectiveness and longevity it ought to be hoteliers. That brand was Mielle.

It's way too soon to make any judgements on reliability (about 3 mths) but the Mielle vac that I bought is just over half the price of an equivalent Dyson, is super quiet, super sucky (in a good sense) and has great ergonomics. Time will tell if my intuition about hoteliers is correct.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #43194 on: November 21, 2019, 01:05:32 pm »
What I do really like is this reasoning amplifier in the lower middle:

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #43195 on: November 21, 2019, 01:23:16 pm »

Our Dyson vacuum cleaner died recently after about 20 years. To be honest, it lost a lot of its suck after five and required regular dismantling, internal cleaning and general refurbishment to get it to regain some of its initial power.

I had a brainwave when I was wondering what to replace it with. It suddenly occurred to me that there was one vacuum cleaner brand that I'd seen being dragged around by cleaners in almost every hotel I've ever stayed in. If anybody knows something about vacuum cleaner effectiveness and longevity it ought to be hoteliers. That brand was Mielle.

It's way too soon to make any judgements on reliability (about 3 mths) but the Mielle vac that I bought is just over half the price of an equivalent Dyson, is super quiet, super sucky (in a good sense) and has great ergonomics. Time will tell if my intuition about hoteliers is correct.

I think you meant "Miele" :)

One of a very popular vacuum cleaner brand here in Germany is Vorwerk:

https://www.vorwerk.co.uk/kobold/home/

And here, for entertainement reasons, an ad for the famous "Heinzelmann" by Loriot (also a very famous comedian here in Germany)

The picture is crooked:

And, as a challenge for all Germans, the spelling of the "th"  >:D

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43196 on: November 21, 2019, 01:34:20 pm »

Ach! Zat iss not funny!

(actually it is hilarious)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43197 on: November 21, 2019, 01:35:35 pm »
I think you meant "Miele" :)

At least I got the i and the e the right way around; I'm forever spelling Siemens as Seimens,  but at least I manage to pronounce it properly which is a rarity outside Germany, as is hearing the name Porsche pronounced correctly. I'm always a little surprised, and a little embarrassed, that the Yanks usually get the latter right and the Brits don't.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43198 on: November 21, 2019, 01:52:58 pm »

Ach! Zat iss not funny!

She was doing surprisingly well, for the most part. There was one upper class shibboleth that slipped through there. There was a 'Featherstone' mentioned - when the namee is of a certain 'elevated' social class, as these clearly were, the name is pronounced Fan-shaw.

Amongst the same type of people 'Ralph' is pronounced as 'Raif'. They do it to keep us lower class scum in our place and so they can laugh at us when we mispronounce it. I get my own back, whenever I come across someone who went to the somewhat exclusive Jesus College Cambridge I always refer to it as 'Hey-zus' College. Similarly with Magdalen College Oxford, the shibboleth is 'Mawd-lin', which I always pronounce 'Maudlin' (as in self-pitying) or 'Mauling'. Lord, I do hate me a snob.

The following users thanked this post: Tepe, BU508A

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43199 on: November 21, 2019, 01:53:28 pm »

Ach! Zat iss not funny!

I never understood the issue Germans have with "th". Instead of breaking your tongue trying to emulate an version of English that no real people actually speak, just pronounce all "th"s like a "d" and people will just assume you learnt your English in Dublin :)

McBryce.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf