Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14564195 times)

McBryce and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43225 on: November 21, 2019, 05:53:45 pm »
Yeah it is. Have had to put it off for a couple of days. Just found the sodding fridge has conked out :--. Literally 2 hours after a week of shopping arrived FFS.

Refrigerators are typically very easy to troubleshoot and repair. Treat it just like any other piece of electronic equipment.(SNIP)
EDIT:   If the compressor motor is starting to seize up, you may be able to pull a few more noisy days of operation out of it by lubricating the bearings with sewing machine oil and rotating it by hand until it's freed up enough to start. Did this with a furnace draft inducer motor last week.

Refrigeration compressors (aside from some large-scale commercial stuff) are a sealed unit with the pump in an oil bath enclosed in a pressurized tank. None of the above applies; it is serviced by replacement or much more often, the refrigerator is replaced due to particulate contamination in the orifice tube/evap. They deliberately price replacement compressors to encourage this mode of repair, as it is known that replacing the compressor often only works for a short time due to the above-mentioned contamination.

Servicing a refrigerator typically falls into one of three categories of problem:

1) Compressor: This is tested by hot-wiring the compressor and comparing compressor current draw against the data plate. If excessive or marginal, leave compressor run for an hour and see if it gets hot. If you can't hold your hand on it after an hour, or is uncomfortably warm, it's junk. Put it by the curb. If it's good but no power, first look into a faulty defrost timer and secondly into thermostatic control systems.

2) Air circulation. Cold in a consumer fridge is made in the freezer and cold air is pumped to the refrigerator section. It is the balance of airflow between these two zones that defines how cold they get. Second single most common failure is this fan seizing up; this can also result in the evap freezing up. Simple mechanical motor troubleshooting as you describe above. A little non-parrafinated oil (Google Zoom oil) will usually restore the blower fan to normal operation for many more years' service.

3) Frozen evap/ defrost not working. This is the single most common failure mode (aside from ever more complicated electronics that shockingly don't like living in a cold, damp environment); it is usually either air circulation, a faulty defrost cycle timer or most often, the drain tube clogged up with food gunk or biological activity (mold/fungus growth) due to lack of cleaning. Also in this system is a thermal switch attached to the evap somewhere that if it fails will prevent the evap heater element from heating up and actually defrosting the evap. VERY common failure as well.

You'll hear people say "oh, it's just low on refrigerant"... if you hear this you should RUN, not walk, in the opposite direction. Consumer refrigeration has universally been a sealed system literally since the '60s; if it is losing refrigerant, the fridge is JUNK.

Aside from the much more complicated electronic thermostatic controls, the machinery inside that insulated box hasn't changed a lot in the entirety of my lifetime; just more gimmicks and gadgets added on for bling factor mostly.

mnem
chill. 8)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 05:58:54 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43226 on: November 21, 2019, 06:04:03 pm »
White goods are on the list of things i don’t have enough time to give a crap about  :-DD. It no worky buy new one. Honestly it’s looking like a piece of shit now, all the plastics are cracked. It’s not worth even turd polishing it.

Edit: we actually knew a service engineer. Woman called Barbie. Nothing like the plastic one. She’d fuck you up in a second with a hammer. Our old washing machine snuffed it and she came and had a look, poked it around and said honestly what was wrong with it. She then explained if you replaced that bit (the control board) it was a piece of shit machine so it’d fail again pretty quick so she explained that it was better if she futzed it so it’d get written off and we got a newer model machine as they don’t have any of the old ones left. It worked. The official engineer came out and saw the loom had been rubbing on the chassis (intentionally) and wrote it straight off  :-DD
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 06:08:26 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43227 on: November 21, 2019, 06:07:43 pm »
Here's an interesting size perspective. That RCA scope is small and compact. Compared to the Heath and the other RCA.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Barbouri, Kosmic

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43228 on: November 21, 2019, 06:23:44 pm »
What I do really like is this reasoning amplifier in the lower middle:

:-DD
The aluminum pipe-wrench is just because I stole it for $US5 while out thrifting.  >:D

An aluminium hammer/wrecking bar? What use is that?

As a slightly more advanced version of HP P-N 19511-80014 (affectionately known in some IT circles as "The Stick of Wisdom"); the body of this "attitude adjuster" is aluminum, allowing greater terminal velocity at point of "adjustment" and for it to be kept handy in many more situations where the weight of a solid steel equivalent would be impractical. Also, since the business end and jaws are made of high-tensile nickel steel, this model can also be used to provide high-torque rotary "adjustment" to dysfunctional studs and offending nuts. >:D

mnem
Yes, you may touch it.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43229 on: November 21, 2019, 06:33:02 pm »
the body of this "attitude adjuster" is aluminum, allowing greater terminal velocity at point of "adjustment" and for it to be kept handy in many more situations where the weight of a solid steel equivalent would be impractical.

A long time ago at an Embedded Systems West conference, a company was giving away these:

https://www.imprintitems.com/product/10283665

Explicitly labeled "L.A.R.T."  I got one, but I'll be darned if I can find it anymore.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43230 on: November 21, 2019, 06:37:18 pm »
...She was doing surprisingly well, for the most part. There was one upper class shibboleth that slipped through there. There was a 'Featherstone' mentioned - when the namee is of a certain 'elevated' social class, as these clearly were, the name is pronounced Fan-shaw.

Amongst the same type of people 'Ralph' is pronounced as 'Raif'. They do it to keep us lower class scum in our place and so they can laugh at us when we mispronounce it. I get my own back, whenever I come across someone who went to the somewhat exclusive Jesus College Cambridge I always refer to it as 'Hey-zus' College. Similarly with Magdalen College Oxford, the shibboleth is 'Mawd-lin', which I always pronounce 'Maudlin' (as in self-pitying) or 'Mauling'. Lord, I do hate me a snob.

Same here. And whenever I speak of Ralph Fiennes, I always say it "Rowlff Fee-enniss" just because his parents were such prats as to saddle him with such an obscenely pretentious name-in-5-parts as his birthright.  :palm: I have no idea what sort of human being he is; he pretty good at playing utter bastards though.  :-DD

mnem
Revenge is a dish best served... with red wine and some form of potato on the side.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 06:46:16 pm by mnementh »

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43231 on: November 21, 2019, 06:45:18 pm »
So I just spent a few minutes being shown a shiny new Tesla Model 3 by a happy owner. Best feature? Built in fart machine!  :-DD

mnem
Okay.... that one might have been a bit of a stretch... but they can't all be slam-dunks.
:-//

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43232 on: November 21, 2019, 06:49:32 pm »
Just came across this, first proof seems appropriate:

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43233 on: November 21, 2019, 06:54:07 pm »
I think that the weirdest little US/UK language difference is the phrase "I'll catch you up".

In the US, that would mean "I will fill you in on what happened while you were gone".

In the UK, it means "I will rejoin with you (either in a physical place, or electronic communication) at some later time".  To say the same thing in the US, you would say "I'll catch up with you later".

That's similar to British "I'll ring you up" vs American "I'll call you"

But the strangest is the word "Fag".  :-//  A whole different meaning British vs American.  :scared:

They both derive from old English "faggot" for a log cut to length for a purpose (either to stack for a ceremonial pyre or fit into a fireplace) and set aflame; originally "flaming fag" meaning a shamelessly flamboyant and/or effete gay male.

mnem

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43234 on: November 21, 2019, 06:55:34 pm »
I'll raise your smug to a whole another level... >:D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43235 on: November 21, 2019, 07:04:21 pm »
the body of this "attitude adjuster" is aluminum, allowing greater terminal velocity at point of "adjustment" and for it to be kept handy in many more situations where the weight of a solid steel equivalent would be impractical.

A long time ago at an Embedded Systems West conference, a company was giving away these:

Explicitly labeled "L.A.R.T."  I got one, but I'll be darned if I can find it anymore.

Ahh... yes. Alternately known as "clue-bat" or "clue-stick".  >:D

mnem
Judicious application of blunt-force trauma in incremental doses,  politely known as "percussive maintenance", is applicable to both hardware and wetware.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43236 on: November 21, 2019, 09:02:38 pm »
Just ordered an MRF101AN. How many minutes before I blow it up? Place your bets!

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #43237 on: November 21, 2019, 10:29:13 pm »
I'm jealous of all you guys who can speak and understand multiple languages. I have enough trouble just speaking my mother tongue.  :palm:

Me, too.  Imma Jersey Boy and people think we speak our own language. :-DD

Wait, I am not a dragon, I am a wolf!!!!!
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43238 on: November 21, 2019, 11:33:42 pm »

mnem
Judicious application of blunt-force trauma in incremental doses,  politely known as "percussive maintenance", is applicable to both hardware and wetware.
As an attitude adjuster, it is rather 'feather duty' class.
Again, I see as an engineer the necessity and the opportunity and desire therefore to pursue the design integration of a SJAMBOEK and a STUNGGUN. The original idea wasn't even mine but triggered by 'the Whiteboard'. I think, it would be best to have someone make a whip of moderate lengthe and a rather stiff makeup and integrate the two necessary high quality leads (double HV isolation and very finely stranded) along with a plastic profile to hold them apart into the center from the start. Anything else is going to bee a bodge. Then, with the components we have today, the inverter and a couple of 16850's could fit in the grip without bulking it up too much.
Whether man, beast or rogue 'bot, several kV delivered with a whack should hold a adequate persuasion potential. Should also be able to clarify the racing potential of any equine of questionable livelyhood.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43239 on: November 22, 2019, 12:07:04 am »
Woe my inability to compromise on the quality of technical documentation....when I am the author!
As I have to do everything myself that I cannot contract out in my 'encaplulated one-man shop' I have drawn an additional duty - drawing duty, that is. But having no informative graphics in a HW installation and maintenance manual is hardly helping the intended audience nor my idea of how it has to look.

So, Micrographix nightshift instead of TEA.

Wer anderen eine Grube gräbt, fällt selbst hinein.
(old German aphorism, Origin unknown)
Wer sich selber eine Grube gräbt, wird noch schmutziger!
(Neomys Sapiens 2019)

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43240 on: November 22, 2019, 02:09:03 am »
I just got an email announcing this new Wavetek function generator which I had to check out on their official site to see if it was real (it is). I have owned an FY6600 by Feeltech for a few years and participated in the thread on that unit and modifications to that model and KKmoon branded units. I continue to follow the threads on the FY6800 and FY6900 replacement units. One of the complaints of all these models has been that Feeltech had poor customer support. I wonder if this will change that with the Wavetek branded FY6900 units. The price is certainly higher on this one.

https://www.wavetek.com/collections/function-generator/products/wavetek-function-generator-fy-6900

The new Wavetek.com as probably nothing to do with the old one. Look like the domain name was released and someone bought it selling rebranded Chinese products on a Shopify web site. The new owner of wavetek.com live in grand cayman  ^-^

Tech Contact
PRIVACYDOTLINK CUSTOMER 3580830
PO BOX 30485,
SEVEN MILE BEACH, GRAND CAYMAN, KY1-1202, ky

Wavetek was dismantled in early 2000. Wireless test products went to Willtek (later aeroflex), network products to Acterna and most Test equipment to Fluke.

Look like Willtek had the domain name until 2017 until they released it. Was then bought by someone selling Wavetek old manuals. And now a varieties of Chinese products :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 03:21:37 am by Kosmic »

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43241 on: November 22, 2019, 02:16:24 am »
Woaa they even use Dave's video to try to sell their fake Meterman meter.

https://www.meterman.com/

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:52:09 am by Kosmic »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #43242 on: November 22, 2019, 04:27:26 am »
Swarm 2 the Respawning  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43243 on: November 22, 2019, 06:22:03 am »

Guilty on all charges!!!  :-DD

mnem

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #43244 on: November 22, 2019, 06:32:43 am »
Just ordered an MRF101AN. How many minutes before I blow it up? Place your bets!

0.2 ... I have confidence in your abilities.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43245 on: November 22, 2019, 06:33:22 am »

That was actually painful to watch... *cringe*

mnem

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43246 on: November 22, 2019, 06:45:19 am »

mnem
As an attitude adjuster, it is rather 'feather duty' class.
Again, I see as an engineer the necessity and the opportunity and desire therefore to pursue the design integration of a SJAMBOEK and a STUNGGUN. The original idea wasn't even mine but triggered by 'the Whiteboard'. I think, it would be best to have someone make a whip of moderate lengthe and a rather stiff makeup and integrate the two necessary high quality leads (double HV isolation and very finely stranded) along with a plastic profile to hold them apart into the center from the start. Anything else is going to bee a bodge. Then, with the components we have today, the inverter and a couple of 16850's could fit in the grip without bulking it up too much.
Whether man, beast or rogue 'bot, several kV delivered with a whack should hold a adequate persuasion potential. Should also be able to clarify the racing potential of any equine of questionable livelyhood.

Having been on the receiving end of both clue-stick and electric shock deterrence from 3-100KV, and having wrestled many a recalcitrant motor vehicle/motorcycle/farm equipment/diesel truck into submission by brute force alone, I can tell you without equivocation that my attitude adjuster is far more effective across a much broader range of adjustees. If you have good aim, effective at much further range too. ;)

mnem
Grandmomma was a crack shot with her fistful of keys... all you heard was "Jingle-jingle-jingle..." then "THWAPPPP!!!" upside your head.

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43247 on: November 22, 2019, 07:35:34 am »
I'm jealous of all you guys who can speak and understand multiple languages. I have enough trouble just speaking my mother tongue.  :palm:

My younger sister was the linguist in the family. Fluent in French, German, Portuguese, and Spanish. Unfortunately we lost her to cancer in 2002.  :-X

Along the way, there were many failures too. I spent time in Hungary, Turkey, Belgium and Sweden (all more than a year) and attempted to learn those too. Swedish and Flemish got to basic level, but I failed miserably at Turkish and Hungarian. I currently spend a lot of time in Japan, so I've been learning that for the past few years with varied success, but leaning heavily towards another failure.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43248 on: November 22, 2019, 09:25:52 am »

Now that is funny!

The grand son didn't even  move when he rattled one off the side of his head!  :-DD
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43249 on: November 22, 2019, 10:10:15 am »
Woaa they even use Dave's video to try to sell their fake Meterman meter.

https://www.meterman.com/

Why do you say "Fake"?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf