Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14924166 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44225 on: December 06, 2019, 08:34:38 pm »
Looks like we have a match made in heaven.  :P :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD

Now we have 2 pyro's.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #44226 on: December 06, 2019, 09:57:56 pm »

During my afternoon procrastination task of looking for TE on craiglist, I found this:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/d/wilsonville-kt88-tubes-quad-matched-set/7026735652.html    :scared:

Hoping to understand why four valves would ever be worth 1000USD, I did a little interwebbing:

eBay auction: # 293155098986

Seriously? Six thousand dollars for four vacuum tubes? No returns?  :wtf:

specialization is for insects.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44227 on: December 06, 2019, 10:01:37 pm »
An audiofool and his money are soon parted.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44228 on: December 06, 2019, 10:08:10 pm »
Thus proving again I’m in the wrong business  :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #44229 on: December 06, 2019, 10:13:39 pm »
Threshold wants similar money for upgrading their old amps. fortunately I was able to trade a PC for my Threshold boat anchor

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44230 on: December 06, 2019, 10:40:51 pm »
An audiofool and his money are soon parted.

Ehhhhhhh.... on this one, I'm going to say that it is not NECESSARILY so. The KT88 was the heart of a number of classic Marshall (and numerous other) musical instrument amps, and the Gold Aero was known to have certain response characteristics that differed from the original Marconi/Genalex; particularly in how it broke down when overdriven for distortion and how it recovered, which was a product of both the tube and the circuitry in the pedal. In a lot of cases, the effects circuits of popular pedals were designed improperly by amateurs, and they ONLY worked because of some weird interaction with a specific tube.

As far as musicians looking for a "certain sound" there really can be a huge difference in where a tube came from, and even when in the production history due to changes in manufacturing techniques; to them, a grand for a set of tubes to get "that sound" is no different from us spending a grand on probes or interconnects.  :-//

mnem
*currently getting my ass kicked by a entertainment center*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44231 on: December 06, 2019, 10:45:12 pm »
Threshold wants similar money for upgrading their old amps. fortunately I was able to trade a PC for my Threshold boat anchor

You got a refurb Threshold in exchange for a PC...? Unless it was a dreadnought-class gaming rig, still a good deal...  :-+

mnem
My Denon hates me.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44232 on: December 06, 2019, 10:51:10 pm »
Chalk up another completed project. The RCA 54-45 Scope passed a 6 hour burn-in successfully.  :-+

Let's see....what will I work on next?  :-//

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44233 on: December 06, 2019, 11:07:38 pm »
thanks for the welcome :)

as for mostly harmless ...

(Attachment Link)

Foto: Tripoli L2 flight of my first home built gizmo making it to 848m. The next flight went a little bit higher.

This was my hobby before starting to fix stuff. I still have the pyro license to go with that which allows me to build unlimited chute ejection systems and rocket stage separation charges ...
I have not pursued that in some time, though ...
Nice.
As a teen I participated in such stuff. And my, were we crazy! (independent of age, as some members of the gun club, around which those activities were centered, were otherwise quite respectable citizens)

Our propulsion progressed from black powder, to the same with various additives, to the final solution of 40mm CAST KCLO4/Coal Tar rockets. The core was either bored or made by extraction of a smooth mandrel. Should have been able to bring 500g to 500m or more.
After a hydraulic car jack in a frame was insufficient, one guy built a hydraulic horizontal press with about 300mm stroke.

The payload was usually made up from ready-made pyro stuff like signals and bird scarers. Then we became bolder. After learning how to fabricate reliable delays, we wanted 3 charges to be ejected, float down a bit on toy parachutes and then go BANG. The bang was provided by  chlorate/metal, with around 80g each. In aluminium tubes again, of course (why? for proper fragmentation?).
The thing was to be launched on a cold and clear sunday morning. We had gotten used to a certain degree of reliability, so that we thought the time of bursting propellant and detaching fins well behind us. Uhuh. After ignition, the rocket rose to about 20m (sufficient to clear the surrounding earthen wall and shrubs), staggered in mid-aid, rotated 90 degrees onto its side and careened off into what was a local conservation area much liked by dog walkers and families. Burnout. The barely discernible ejection charge. Then everyone started counting or looking at his watch. After about 2min (as intended), a triple sharp crack was heared. (chlorate/metal, I need not explain, I think) The participants looked at each other in silence. As 20 minutes had passed without any red, green or white vehicles with flashing lights coming by, those that would have been held responsible relaxed visibly. So did the rest. Those that weren't there were told the story already much more joyously.

Afterwards, we found the spot where one charge landed. Fortunately it was devoid of any mangled remains of larger creatures. The surrounding trees had their aluminium content raised significantly and there was some stripping of bark and a lack of undergrowth and a tiny crater.
Following this day, the payloads returned to the previously used, less massive content.   :'(

Those were the days when a local chemist told me that I would have to bring a letter from my father if I wanted to buy more than 100g of Potassium Chlorate. And that this was already nice of him, so that my father did not have to come. Sadly unthinkable today.
And there is absolutely no connection to a career which held a lot of bigger bangs. That was probably decided before.

Oh, and a heartfelt welcome to the TEAhouse to the lady tinkerer!

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44234 on: December 06, 2019, 11:09:15 pm »
Looks like we have a match made in heaven.  :P :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD

Now we have 2 pyro's.  :-+
What? Where? Who?

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #44235 on: December 06, 2019, 11:10:06 pm »
Rant mode on
Is it just me or do others get p**d off about how your PC, needs to get loaded up with all these drivers to talk to your HF radio, your micro programmers, your test equipment, to update the test equipment's software. Software and antiviral upgrades etc. It now loads like a slug and Windows are shutting down 7. The idea of another PC with the $ and PITA of re-loading / sorting all that stuff is making me think of getting an abacus.
Not helped by me taking 4hrs to get my laptop running WSJT  to talk to my radio, drivers, software configs and RF getting back into the laptop!
Harumph!
Rant mode off.

Welcome saska!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44236 on: December 06, 2019, 11:23:04 pm »
my hp 6227a was delivered today by ups.

it HAS a power cord (as anticipated by all you guys with calmer dispositions than the freqq).

it was very well packaged and arrived with no issues (as predicted by cub).

it appears to work 100% as it should.

the voltage and current readout on both sides are dead on when compared to my hp 3466a.

checked for ripple both loaded and unloaded and it appears to be "A OK".

there is just a little smearing on some of the front panel stencils where it looks like someone got a little aggressive in removing labels.

clean as a whistle inside and no crispy circuit boards.   

have ordered replacement bleeder resistors per the kj7e (or is it ke7j ?) guidance, and will do some capacitor checks when doing the replacement.

and it looks like the damn thing was made after 1996!

only thing wrong with this acquisition........there was nothing to fix!

sure hope this does not make oculus jealous.  (even though he practically stole the previous one i lusted for)

this grumpy old man is a pretty happy camper.

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44237 on: December 06, 2019, 11:24:20 pm »
Ooh HPR. Fun stuff.

(Resident pyro  :-DD)

Edit:looks like an elongated AIM-54.

Edit 2: as far as I got was a Mean Machine with an E engine in it. Oh and the exploding Estes Alpha which we packed with firework fuse from head to toe. Didn’t get far off the pad  :-DD
Yes, I also thought that it looks almost guidance-worthy. Hmm...

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #44238 on: December 06, 2019, 11:25:45 pm »
Rant mode on
Is it just me or do others get p**d off about how your PC, needs to get loaded up with all these drivers to talk to your HF radio, your micro programmers, your test equipment, to update the test equipment's software. Software and antiviral upgrades etc. It now loads like a slug and Windows are shutting down 7. The idea of another PC with the $ and PITA of re-loading / sorting all that stuff is making me think of getting an abacus.
Not helped by me taking 4hrs to get my laptop running WSJT  to talk to my radio, drivers, software configs and RF getting back into the laptop!
Harumph!
Rant mode off.

I was calm about it all for now until you brought it up.  :rant:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44239 on: December 06, 2019, 11:29:01 pm »
Rant mode on
Harumph!
Rant mode off.

And to add fuel to the fire: extended support for Windows 7 ends next month.  :scared: :scared: :scared:

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44240 on: December 06, 2019, 11:29:23 pm »
my hp 6227a was delivered today by ups.

only thing wrong with this acquisition........there was nothing to fix!

sure hope this does not make oculus jealous.  (even though he practically stole the previous one i lusted for)

this grumpy old man is a pretty happy camper.
So now you are facing a difficult choice. Which one of the multitude of -hp- power supplies in this form factor to stack it with? 4quadrant? precision? 1channel with more oomph? HV?
Is there even an 'or' in that decision?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 11:33:15 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44241 on: December 06, 2019, 11:41:35 pm »
Is that UPS? They've done that one on me more than once before.

No, it's the good old US Post Office.

"We'll deliver your packages on time no matter how long it takes"

|O

3D fused agreed this morning the package with my linear Y axis is lost and they shipped me another one today Priority 1 Day delivery.

TAKE THAT USPS !!!!  :box:

(I will ship the other one back if it does ever show up)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44242 on: December 07, 2019, 12:13:40 am »

Oh the joys of tracking packages through the system around the holidays. USPS has misplaced a package. How do I know?  The only thing that changes on the following update over the last three days:

December 6, 2019
In Transit, Arriving Late
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

...is the date on the top line.   |O

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44243 on: December 07, 2019, 12:21:20 am »

Oh the joys of tracking packages through the system around the holidays. USPS has misplaced a package. How do I know?  The only thing that changes on the following update over the last three days:

December 6, 2019
In Transit, Arriving Late
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

...is the date on the top line.   |O

Yep - that's all I see on my lost package.

"Arriving Late"

Yea, tell me somethin' I don't know!  :wtf:

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44244 on: December 07, 2019, 12:23:48 am »
Rant mode on
Harumph!
Rant mode off.

And to add fuel to the fire: extended support for Windows 7 ends next month.  :scared: :scared: :scared:

It was bound to happen sooner or later... all of my win7 machines are updated to the latest, including the ones in storage. Not interested in the world of win-10-you-will-update-when-we-say-and-like-it and features designed to protect me from myself whilst harvesting as much of my personal data as possible. Evaluating my options for moving to Linux on my test bench and radio-related machines but I will probably just keep running Windows 7 on at least one machine that is loaded with old, useful, and non-replaceable applications.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44245 on: December 07, 2019, 12:31:07 am »

Dafuq...?     :o

mnem
*still getting my arse kicked by a entertainment center*

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44246 on: December 07, 2019, 12:36:25 am »

mnem

LOL welcome to post office logic.  :-DD

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #44247 on: December 07, 2019, 12:45:08 am »

mnem

Fear not, there will be another Thursday, December 5th in 2024.  You'll get your ink.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, worsthorse, Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44248 on: December 07, 2019, 01:05:40 am »
Rant mode on
Harumph!
Rant mode off.

It was bound to happen sooner or later... all of my win7 machines are updated to the latest, including the ones in storage. Not interested in the world of win-10-you-will-update-when-we-say-and-like-it and features designed to protect me from myself whilst harvesting as much of my personal data as possible. Evaluating my options for moving to Linux on my test bench and radio-related machines but I will probably just keep running Windows 7 on at least one machine that is loaded with old, useful, and non-replaceable applications.

Typing on the laptop that's already WIN10. The TEA computer which I use just for manuals/schematics I'll re-image from WIN7 to Linux Mint. Media PC is a different story. Best option is to stick with Windows so it will have to go to WIN10. Unfortunately I'm going to have to spend the bucks for a license to upgrade (actually do a total wipe and fresh install). Now why is that? Truth be told I've been running a bootleg WIN7 Ultimate on that machine for years and I had a bootleg program to make MS recognize it as genuine and keep it up to date. But upgrade is a no go.  :palm: 

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44249 on: December 07, 2019, 01:07:58 am »
Now for a first result of my equipment swap with Ero-Shan, who got my HP4261A in exchange for a HP6114A precision power supply (to stack with my HP6825A, for starters) and a HP3478A.

The two arrived two weeks ago, so they should be acclimatized by now. But I can only give the 3478 a quick look.

Plugged in, switched on. No smoke, no sparks, no frogs hopping out....and self test passed. Promising!

Here it sits with the 9.99V output of the Tek PS501-1 as input.
885566-0

With the PREMA 6001 for reference:
885570-1

And here reading 2-wire resistance from a 0.1% decade box:
885574-2

Again with the PREMA for comparison:
885578-3

And one for our fetishists:
885582-4
FOUR HEALTHY FEET ON IT!  :D

So I think this is a working instrument - thanks, ERO-SHAN!

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, mnementh, Kosmic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf