Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14900892 times)

Carl_Smith and 206 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44250 on: December 07, 2019, 01:10:47 am »
A little crusty but worth an offer for the Pommie wannabe voltnut eBay auction: #184059219810

To assist in your deliberations the manual may be found here  >:D https://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/00741-90002.pdf?id=1865323

No idea  :wtf: is going on in the oval plug  :scared:

The important bit for modern use is the DC standard bit 0-1kV

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 01:12:37 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bd139

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #44251 on: December 07, 2019, 01:23:13 am »
Rant mode on
Is it just me or do others get p**d off about how your PC, needs to get loaded up with all these drivers to talk to your HF radio, your micro programmers, your test equipment, to update the test equipment's software. Software and antiviral upgrades etc. It now loads like a slug and Windows are shutting down 7. The idea of another PC with the $ and PITA of re-loading / sorting all that stuff is making me think of getting an abacus.
Not helped by me taking 4hrs to get my laptop running WSJT  to talk to my radio, drivers, software configs and RF getting back into the laptop!
Harumph!
Rant mode off.

I was calm about it all for now until you brought it up.  :rant:

And to add fuel to the fire: extended support for Windows 7 ends next month.  :scared: :scared: :scared:

It was bound to happen sooner or later... all of my win7 machines are updated to the latest, including the ones in storage. Not interested in the world of win-10-you-will-update-when-we-say-and-like-it and features designed to protect me from myself whilst harvesting as much of my personal data as possible. Evaluating my options for moving to Linux on my test bench and radio-related machines but I will probably just keep running Windows 7 on at least one machine that is loaded with old, useful, and non-replaceable applications.

Typing on the laptop that's already WIN10. The TEA computer which I use just for manuals/schematics I'll re-image from WIN7 to Linux Mint. Media PC is a different story. Best option is to stick with Windows so it will have to go to WIN10. Unfortunately I'm going to have to spend the bucks for a license to upgrade (actually do a total wipe and fresh install). Now why is that? Truth be told I've been running a bootleg WIN7 Ultimate on that machine for years and I had a bootleg program to make MS recognize it as genuine and keep it up to date. But upgrade is a no go.  :palm:
There are W10 bootleg copies out there.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44253 on: December 07, 2019, 01:32:21 am »
Not so much bootleg as likely a Chinese origin W10 Pro license https://www.urcdkey.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-oem-cd-key-global_1966-20.html use 'td20' as the discount coupon for another 20% off.

sub $15 USD is not excuse not to upgrade.

Working great here and there seems to be no issues with purchases from here other than Windoze issues themselves  :horse:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44254 on: December 07, 2019, 01:33:51 am »
Typing on the laptop that's already WIN10. The TEA computer which I use just for manuals/schematics I'll re-image from WIN7 to Linux Mint. Media PC is a different story. Best option is to stick with Windows so it will have to go to WIN10. Unfortunately I'm going to have to spend the bucks for a license to upgrade (actually do a total wipe and fresh install). Now why is that? Truth be told I've been running a bootleg WIN7 Ultimate on that machine for years and I had a bootleg program to make MS recognize it as genuine and keep it up to date. But upgrade is a no go.  :palm: 

Cof Cof Try to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro with your current copy Cof Cof Get the Digital Key activation that will stuck to the hardware in the PC Cof Cof Format and reinstall fresh Cof Cof.

N cases that it happen, I have one of my PCs who activated a genuine Windows 10 Pro that was from a Windows 7 Pro bootleg activated VLK.

Although if you need a Windows 10 Home key I can provide you with one for free that I don't use - My ZenBook one, I don't use the OEM one, I have the Windows 10 Pro and Fedora 31 Workstation on it.

Offline JXL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44255 on: December 07, 2019, 01:37:38 am »
welcome Saskia, it's a lot of fun here.

Thanks everybody for the feedback regarding the chip sucker, I will not buy one.

@zucca, the bulb style chip sucker has worked well for me for the last couple of decades.  Search the bay for "smt manual suction tool"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-vacuum-suction-pen-SMD-SMT-IC-BGA-chip-puller-welding-pick-up-hand-tool/293340077436?hash=item444c6e5d7c:g:lm8AAOSwnk1d1Saf
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 01:39:20 am by JXL »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44256 on: December 07, 2019, 01:46:23 am »
Rant mode on
Is it just me or do others get p**d off about how your PC, needs to get loaded up with all these drivers to talk to your HF radio, your micro programmers, your test equipment, to update the test equipment's software. Software and antiviral upgrades etc. It now loads like a slug and Windows are shutting down 7. The idea of another PC with the $ and PITA of re-loading / sorting all that stuff is making me think of getting an abacus.
Not helped by me taking 4hrs to get my laptop running WSJT  to talk to my radio, drivers, software configs and RF getting back into the laptop!
Harumph!
Rant mode off.

I was calm about it all for now until you brought it up.  :rant:

And to add fuel to the fire: extended support for Windows 7 ends next month.  :scared: :scared: :scared:

It was bound to happen sooner or later... all of my win7 machines are updated to the latest, including the ones in storage. Not interested in the world of win-10-you-will-update-when-we-say-and-like-it and features designed to protect me from myself whilst harvesting as much of my personal data as possible. Evaluating my options for moving to Linux on my test bench and radio-related machines but I will probably just keep running Windows 7 on at least one machine that is loaded with old, useful, and non-replaceable applications.

There are W10 bootleg copies out there.  ;)

I'm sure but I'll go legal this time. It took some skullduggery and cloak and dagger...along with a geek friend....to run (and keep updated) WIN7 without a license key. In the end it is surprisingly simple but I will not reveal how it's done. And I've lost track of the geek friend and there's a good chance he's in jail anyway.  :o
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #44257 on: December 07, 2019, 02:10:07 am »
A little crusty but worth an offer for the Pommie wannabe voltnut eBay auction: #184059219810

To assist in your deliberations the manual may be found here  >:D https://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/00741-90002.pdf?id=1865323

No idea  :wtf: is going on in the oval plug  :scared:

The important bit for modern use is the DC standard bit 0-1kV

(Attachment Link)

Huh, that could be a grab. My local surplus joint has two of the somewhat newer version of that (forget the model #) that uses some sort of totally unobtainium proprietary connectors instead of banana jacks.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44258 on: December 07, 2019, 02:14:47 am »

Huh, that could be a grab. My local surplus joint has two of the somewhat newer version of that (forget the model #) that uses some sort of totally unobtainium proprietary connectors instead of banana jacks.

If they are 740 A or B's then yep special addon box and lead. I have one of the two for mine and Cubdriver has one of two for his from memory. These two are also higher precision and the 740B comes with Nixie glow  8)

I have done a 3D printed model for the box and at this stage will do a connector swap on mine.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44259 on: December 07, 2019, 02:30:03 am »
...I've stepped in a puddle and sunk down to my eyeballs.  Someone toss me a snorkel.

A snorkel...   :-DD :-DD :-DD   Snort...  Someone toss him an 8566B!   >:D

-Pat

Damn, that's cold.  >:D >:D >:D

No, that's TEA. :-DD

mnem
(Attachment Link)

WHERE?!!   WHEN???!!!

I'll catch it - then when I sink to the bottom of the puddle, I'll walk it out!  Where to put it??  I'LL MAKE IT FIT!  Damn the torpedoes - full speed ahead!

Yes, I have no shame.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #44260 on: December 07, 2019, 03:13:10 am »
So... I have a line on two 2465BDV scopes locally. I will have a chance to test them both before buying and, from the photos, they look well cared for. I've asked the seller to send me the serial numbers so I can check on the NVRAM, too. 

No, I don't need any more oscilloscopes (and in fact, this evening, I started setting aside scopes I am going to sell) but I do need a 400MHz 4 channel scope and I should be able to get a very good deal on one or both of these, do the necessary refurb and end up with a pretty good deal. The BDV has all the options that Tek could cram into the 2465.

So... anyone want the second one, assuming they are both in good working order?
specialization is for insects.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44261 on: December 07, 2019, 03:15:41 am »

If they are 740 A or B's then yep special addon box and lead. I have one of the two for mine and Cubdriver has one of two for his from memory. These two are also higher precision and the 740B comes with Nixie glow  8)

I have done a 3D printed model for the box and at this stage will do a connector swap on mine.
Hmmmm...maybe I should pick one up for the nixies.  >:D >:D >:D Won't be that useful without the special sauce though.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44262 on: December 07, 2019, 03:16:20 am »
So... I have a line on two 2465BDV scopes locally. I will have a chance to test them both before buying and, from the photos, they look well cared for. I've asked the seller to send me the serial numbers so I can check on the NVRAM, too. 

No, I don't need any more oscilloscopes (and in fact, this evening, I started setting aside scopes I am going to sell) but I do need a 400MHz 4 channel scope and I should be able to get a very good deal on one or both of these, do the necessary refurb and end up with a pretty good deal. The BDV has all the options that Tek could cram into the 2465.

Either one have the counter option? My 2465B doesn't have any options at all.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44263 on: December 07, 2019, 03:20:57 am »
my hp 6227a was delivered today by ups.

only thing wrong with this acquisition........there was nothing to fix!

sure hope this does not make oculus jealous.  (even though he practically stole the previous one i lusted for)

this grumpy old man is a pretty happy camper.
So now you are facing a difficult choice. Which one of the multitude of -hp- power supplies in this form factor to stack it with? 4quadrant? precision? 1channel with more oomph? HV?
Is there even an 'or' in that decision?

no.      my power supply craving has been satisfied.

awwwwwwwwww shit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HEWLETT-PACKARD-HP-6228A-DUAL-DC-POWER-SUPPLY/183762055164?hash=item2ac9126ffc:g:y-oAAOSwj61cprRH

free range primate

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44264 on: December 07, 2019, 03:21:09 am »

Hmmmm...maybe I should pick one up for the nixies.  >:D >:D >:D Won't be that useful without the special sauce though.

Additional Assistance here >:D https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hewlett-packard-740b-dc-standard-digital-voltmeter-(and-740a)/msg1419955/#msg1419955

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Online Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #44265 on: December 07, 2019, 03:24:54 am »
If you want Windows 10 and you are going to do a fresh install, just go download it from Microsoft's site, use their media creation tool to make a flash drive, and try installing it.  It's possible they will let you have it for free.  I heard rumors of this repeatedly so I tried it and it worked.

I had an old laptop where the hinge busted due to crappy design, so I got a different laptop, and used the broken one propped up on my desk to watch YouTube and stuff, but then later the hard drive died good.  Didn't have a spare drive and didn't want to spend money on one for an old laptop so it sat for like a year until I ended up with a spare drive.  Fixed the hinge with a lot of epoxy and superglue, wiped the spare HD that was from another system, installed it blank, and installed Win 10, and it just came up licensed to me.

Not sure why MS is still letting some people have Win10 free, but I'm not going to complain.  The only thing I can think is that I had Win 8.1 on that system before it died and had all my systems linked to my Microsoft account, so maybe the system let me have it free because they knew I had the system when the Win10 upgrade was free?  Don't know, but again, I'm not going to complain.

Worst case is that it will come up as unactivated and you'll have to decide if you want to install Linux or buy one of those $15 Chinese activation codes.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44266 on: December 07, 2019, 04:05:35 am »

Yup. Both have the DMM/counter, GPIB, word recognizer and video options.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44267 on: December 07, 2019, 04:09:59 am »

I'll PM you.  :-DD

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44268 on: December 07, 2019, 04:10:29 am »

Anyone has an idea what that would really cost to ship? 
Forget it. But I also need a new analogue.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44269 on: December 07, 2019, 04:25:29 am »
If you want Windows 10 and you are going to do a fresh install, just go download it from Microsoft's site, use their media creation tool to make a flash drive, and try installing it.  It's possible they will let you have it for free.  I heard rumors of this repeatedly so I tried it and it worked.

I had an old laptop where the hinge busted due to crappy design, so I got a different laptop, and used the broken one propped up on my desk to watch YouTube and stuff, but then later the hard drive died good.  Didn't have a spare drive and didn't want to spend money on one for an old laptop so it sat for like a year until I ended up with a spare drive.  Fixed the hinge with a lot of epoxy and superglue, wiped the spare HD that was from another system, installed it blank, and installed Win 10, and it just came up licensed to me.

Not sure why MS is still letting some people have Win10 free, but I'm not going to complain.  The only thing I can think is that I had Win 8.1 on that system before it died and had all my systems linked to my Microsoft account, so maybe the system let me have it free because they knew I had the system when the Win10 upgrade was free?  Don't know, but again, I'm not going to complain.

Worst case is that it will come up as unactivated and you'll have to decide if you want to install Linux or buy one of those $15 Chinese activation codes.

Windoze10 will activate based on a serial number in the BIOS; they've actually been doing this with some OEMs since the Win7 daze. I have one USB of Win7 Pro that I used to use on Dells... it would install and activate on pretty much anything Dell made in the last 10 years. Win10 will ALSO run quite happily with no activation; it just won't allow you to personalize the system or get Defender updates. After 14 or 21 days it will revert to the "Not Genuine" nag desktop, which, since you can't personalize, you can't make go away.

Other than that, and the fact that when MS rolls out the next major update it will break all your Windoze Automatic update ability, you CAN run Win10 unlicensed... they do this on purpose as "Trial" mode.

Of course, if you can find a legit non-OEM license from Win7/8/8.1, you can ALSO just use THAT key to activate Win10; then that license will remain YOURS in principle "til the end of time".

mnem
*currently running on a legit .edu license from 10 years ago*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44270 on: December 07, 2019, 04:51:53 am »

Dafuq...?     :o

mnem
*still getting my arse kicked by a entertainment center*

Fear not, there will be another Thursday, December 5th in 2024.  You'll get your ink.

-Pat

:-DD   But wait... it gets better.

Amazon is SORRY. Well, that totally makes up for the fact you douche-nuggets threw your customer under the bus for a fucking WEEK when the carrier lost an expedited package.   :palm:

After I got off the phone politely telling them just how skeevy THAT response was in this situation, and how I expect better from years of being a loyal Amazon customer... I realized that none of that was going to get me my fucking ink anytime soon.  |O

So I gave in to reality and ordered another one of the same; HOPEFULLY one or both will get to me by Monday.

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 01:46:57 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44271 on: December 07, 2019, 05:23:17 am »

Dafuq...?     :o

mnem
*still getting my arse kicked by a entertainment center*

Fear not, there will be another Thursday, December 5th in 2024.  You'll get your ink.

-Pat

:-DD   But wait... it gets better.

Amazon is SORRY. Well, that totally makes up for the fact you douche-nuggets threw your customer under the bus for a fucking WEEK when the carrier lost an expedited package.   :palm:

After I got off the phone politely telling them just how skeevy THAT response was in this situation, and how I expect better from years of being a loyal Amazon customer... I realized that none of that was going to get me my fucking ink anytime soon.  |O

So I gave in to reality and ordered another one of the same; HOPEFULLY one or both will get to my by Monday.

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\

sometimes the only, albeit piddling sort of, revenge is the reverse shipping charge amazon absorbs when you initiate a "arrived too late" return. 

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #44272 on: December 07, 2019, 08:03:57 am »
Ok, in 10 min I will be married. Just checking here before my TEA career will change forever.
Sorry misspelled with a phone.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #44273 on: December 07, 2019, 08:10:18 am »
Which meter are you marrying, though?  Careful of jealousy on the bench!

Congrats!  ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44274 on: December 07, 2019, 08:12:15 am »
Ok, in 10 min I will be married. Just checking here before my TEA career will change forever.
Sorry misspelled with a phone.

Congratulations or commiserations. Haven’t decided on which yet  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf