Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550129 times)

factory, Vince and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44300 on: December 07, 2019, 03:54:17 pm »
The only dance I know by heart is Pogo and I give 2 shits of a f..k about any feral kids that are standing in the way  >:D

as for the Rottweiler part, upon retirement I hope to get one of those Malinois that are employed by the Austrian special forces.
They not only take care of the problem, they also get rid of any evidence.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44301 on: December 07, 2019, 04:04:14 pm »
new addition to my test stuff: an HV-70 diff probe.

Which reminds me that I still have 2 SMPS that need repair, one Seasonic and one BeQuiet.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44302 on: December 07, 2019, 04:07:00 pm »
Makin' a list

checkin' it twice

gonna find out whose ESR isn't nice

Capacitor Claus is coming, to town

He knows if the DC's leaking

or if the ripple is to great

he knows if the electrolyte

is dissolving the copper trace

Sooooooooo

get Nichicon

or Panasonic

those no name brands just won't cut it

Capacitor Claus is coming toooooo townnnnnnnnn
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44303 on: December 07, 2019, 04:14:10 pm »
yup :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44304 on: December 07, 2019, 04:37:25 pm »
The only dance I know by heart is Pogo and I give 2 shits of a f..k about any feral kids that are standing in the way  >:D

as for the Rottweiler part, upon retirement I hope to get one of those Malinois that are employed by the Austrian special forces.
They not only take care of the problem, they also get rid of any evidence.

There's a Russian guy and his wife that have got a Puma/Cougar/Mountain Lion (Puma Concolor) called Messi as a house pet.

Here's a video of Messi completely upstaging a bunch of dogs at an obedience training class.

There's at least 200 other videos of Messi on that channel, if you want to lose a couple of days of your life.

Prior to the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 a few people in the UK used to keep Leopards, Lions, Jaguars and the like as pets. Although I can see the sense in it, part of me has always regretted that I couldn't keep a Leopard. There was a fashion a few years back for the barrel-scrapings of British male Yoof to keep 'tough' dogs like Rottweilers and parade them in the street to announce, inter alia, their own toughness. Never personally intimidated by them*, I'd nevertheless quite like to have been in the situation where I could have said "Oh yeah? I see your Rottweiler and raise you one Panthera Pardus".

* The Yoofs in question always seemed to be pasty white and rail-thin. In the unlikely event of an altercation with them I suspect that I could have thrown them to the ground with the effects of a loud cough. Whereupon I further suspect that the 'tough' dog would have thought that they'd found a stick or bone thrown at their feet as a toy and would summarily deal with the rest of the problem. I've always found that the kind of people who deliberately try to project toughness don't, in fact, have any of it.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44305 on: December 07, 2019, 04:47:42 pm »
Ooh HPR. Fun stuff.

(Resident pyro  :-DD)

Edit:looks like an elongated AIM-54.

Edit 2: as far as I got was a Mean Machine with an E engine in it. Oh and the exploding Estes Alpha which we packed with firework fuse from head to toe. Didn’t get far off the pad  :-DD

Yes, I also thought that it looks almost guidance-worthy. Hmm...

Indeed. They required chute ejection by altimeter. To get the CG and CP right I had to put in an additional middle section as putting in a guidance system might have aroused the interest of the local head honchos.

Unfortunately I was never able to complete my big project with a 155 mm booster (and an O-motor) and a 54mm mongoose carbon dart  on top. I would have needed access to some turning / milling hardware (Okuma Multus would have been my choice) but that option never materialized. Also, there is no faster way to burn money than High Power Rocketry. BTW the motors are made using NH4ClO4, Aluminum powder, some iron oxide as catalyst, and HPBT binder.

Now, if I took that booster, attached a main stage with a turbofan and airstart electronics, make the wings autoextend after launch and put in a GPS guidance system coupled with an altimeter and TFR this would indeed be a fascinating project.

But I digress ...

Now back to that WPC-S pinball CPU on the bench where some jerk has tried to desolder the game ROM and ripped out the traces.

*sigh*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44306 on: December 07, 2019, 04:51:19 pm »
(Attachment Link)
Threshold wants similar money for upgrading their old amps. fortunately I was able to trade a PC for my Threshold boat anchor

You got a refurb Threshold in exchange for a PC...? Unless it was a dreadnought-class gaming rig, still a good deal...  :-+

mnem
My Denon hates me.

I think I need a bigger rack (it's in the garage, but I hate to lug 350 lbs to the 2nd floor). The turntable will move to the different rack, whereas the small Nakamichi power amp moved to the secondary stereo. I just could not pass on the Threshold trade, and the PC I forked over was very decent and will be used for astro photography. Also I just traded another PC for a decent high end turntable plus an active crossover for hooking up my EAR 519 monoblocks when they come out of maintenance. (those are 100W tube amps).

Yes, I am into vintage stuff. I hate that modern plastics crap. However, moving is a big pain, therefore I am looking for a loft which supports a fork lift.

I loved the engineering of that Nak PA-5; insides are sheer design elegance. Had two running my AR m6s bi-amp with EC100 X-O & CA-1 frontend for the longest time; really wish I still had that stack even though I still love my more modern stuff. Did you get the CA-5 with yours, or does that Sony have balanced outputs for the T200? Good choice on the DMG OMS-7E; if you're going to put up with "CD-quality", that's about as good as you're going to get short of UCD.

mnem
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 05:17:01 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44307 on: December 07, 2019, 04:58:53 pm »
actually I really like the Nakamichi stuff, and the PA-5 was paired with some T+A TMR 80 transmission line speakers.
The old Sony TA-E 86B is among the absolutely best pre amps that I have ever had, and I had made the stoopeed mistake of getting rid of my TA-E 88 which is just slightly better.

Now I have changed that setup a bit. The PA5 is now paired with a Burmester 846 preamp, the Sony talks to the Threshold, and in a little while I will add an Audio Geometry active crossover and 2 E.A.R. 519 tube monoblocks.

If I had not gotten the Sony TA-E 86 I would have searched for a CA 5. However, I have more Nakamichi hooked up to the system, the CD player is an OMS 7-II, and the tape deck an RX505.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44308 on: December 07, 2019, 05:16:12 pm »
Yeah... I was a 1D10T back then. When I had the PA-5s, I was always "wishing for PA-7s".  :palm: Had Pioneer CT-F750 & RT-909 on tape duty, though. VFDs FTW, BAYBEE!!!  >:D

TLS are a mixed bag; amazing when you get them set up just right... but the sweet spot where they're in phase can be very small depending on your room. Worst part; most music is mixed with too much L/R cross-mix to sound good with large-diaphragm headphones and conventional speaker arrangements; this often makes properly-phased TLS speakers feel "boomy" even though they're doing their job perfectly. :-//

mnem
**Current Mood: juicy *
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 05:42:51 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44309 on: December 07, 2019, 05:39:23 pm »
Now, if I took that booster, attached a main stage with a turbofan and airstart electronics, make the wings autoextend after launch and put in a GPS guidance system coupled with an altimeter and TFR this would indeed be a fascinating project.

Bd139 would, I suspect , suggest that Tufton Street (51.4963°N 0.1284°W) would be a good place to test that.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44310 on: December 07, 2019, 05:43:20 pm »
Somebody shoot me please and put me out of my misery.  |O  I decided to nuke WIN7 off my TEA system and installed Linux Mint. The install went fine. The issue is...and ALWAYS is....WIN10. My home network right now is in shambles. WIN10 is such a bastard when trying to connect to other machines on the network. After lots of fumbling around I did finally get WIN10 to recognize and connect to Mint. Right now getting files arranged and transferred. But what an ordeal!  ::)

And if it wasn't for my other WIN7 machine.....which found the Mint machine with NO issue....I STILL wouldn't know what syntax WIN10 required to connect.  |O

Bill Gates...you're an asshole.  >:D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44311 on: December 07, 2019, 05:46:46 pm »
Bill Gates
Steeve Ballmer
Satya Nadella

Put the blame where it lies, buddy. ;)

Bill & Steve & Steve are all the villains/heroes of the past... we have a whole new generation of fuck-weasels to deal with now.  :-DD

OTOH... why the FUCK would you enable Winbloze networking/file-sharing in a non-AD environment? You deserve every bit of misery you get. >:D Just drop a NAS box (or even a cheap BT3.0 HDD) on the router for a network share and keep your shit all safe & sane & properly isolated.

mnem
 :horse:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 05:55:32 pm by mnementh »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44312 on: December 07, 2019, 06:05:30 pm »
I second that. Since I got my Synology 1815+ all is well. Well, not all, I am missing ye goode olde times when I contracted for Silicon Graphics and then went to IBM to do some pesky kernel dump analysis on these AIX critters.

It's been a long time, and I don't want to  :horse:

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #44313 on: December 07, 2019, 06:24:14 pm »
This is TEA related, had to check and change the CR123 batteries in the EOTech sight and TLR1 light, used my trusty HP 427A for the job!

Gratuitous photo included, Wilson Combat full billet upper/lower 458 SOCOM with my Barns 300gr TTSX handloads.  Keeping my TEA safe from wild hogs (built as a hog hammer hunting tool).
885812-0

Was going to go Mountain Biking this morning, but after last weeks snow and this weeks rain, the trails were a bit muddy, so came home and did a full calibration on the HP 4329A High Resistance Meter, found two week 22uF caps in the low voltage power supply board - replaced.  Also got done characterizing my Ovenized LTZ1000A 10v reference with oven temps set from 31 to 39 deg.  Found less than 1uV deviation across the range.  At the limit of what my DMM7510 can measure.
885816-1

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 06:33:16 pm by kj7e »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Cubdriver, Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44314 on: December 07, 2019, 06:26:49 pm »
These ARE sought-after tubes for MANY reasons. They DO perform differently from the original Marconi/Genalex design KT88 tubes, EVEN in an optimal-design amplifier circuit.

Of course!

Another facet of the other-thing-ness is the observation that what the guitar amp is there to do is create a sound, not reproduce it. Guitar amps that simply amplify what comes down the wire are somewhat frowned on...  The Phool claims that he (and there are very few women there, so using gendered pronouns is a safe bet...) is recreating what happened before the microphone.  I'm laughing, because I know how recording gear looks inside, and what counts in building it, like it being a better idea if the mike preamp can reject EMI/RFI shit from 100 metres of cable than if said preamp is linear to 200KHz...

THAT IS A VALID QUEST, just like any of the other hobbies we all enjoy and spend so much money on. :-//

(this is a rant at the Phool, not towards mnem, just to be very clear)

I happen to work in that industry, creation of sounds (although we hang pictures onto them and call the result television), but I've found myself spending loooong days trying to make a device (mic preamp+AD+multicast streamer) on top of a mountain in a blizzard have the same idea of 48KHz as the devices 600km away in the machine room, with stochastical networks like Ethernet being the only available communications channel in between. If sound survives that and comes out as believable without buffering (we can't buffer, it has to be absolutely minimal latency, for Reasons) I can't be arsed to even listen to a Phool who is so afraid of his illusions being smashed to bits that he refuses double-blind tests between zipcord and his $1000 "speaker interconnects". 

If you're going to use the sciency words, dear Phool, go with the method too. And question your ideas in the uncompromising light of scientific method.

Yeah, it is a valid quest, but like using coconut shells as horses in the search for the holy Grail, doing it wrong will be silly.

Yes, that would be the "sausage-grinder cluster-fuckery that signal may have been subjected to in the interim as part of the recording process" I was talking about.  :-DD

Even with that in play... there still isn't anything wrong with wanting to get a little closer to that original music-creation circuitry with what you do have control over. Remember, this is STILL a fucking HOBBY. We all do weird shit that doesn't make sense in the gestalt sense in pursuit of our hobby goals.  :-//

And we all delude ourselves over a great many things every day; each and every one of us builds a belief-system of one that helps us get through the night. It's when you expect OTHERS to join you in that delusion that you've done something wrong.

And remember, every dollar these fools spend on crap is a dollar that stimulates the economy, as opposed to the money that is taken out of circulation by an elitist few who feel they should have EVERYTHING. So which group is doing more harm than good, REALLY?

mnem
*lasagna time*

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44315 on: December 07, 2019, 06:33:54 pm »
This is TEA related, had to check and change the CR123 batteries in the EOTech sight and TLR1 light, used my trusty HP 427A for the job!

Gratuitous photo included, Wilson Combat full billet upper/lower 458 SOCOM with my Barns 300gr TTSX handloads.  Keeping my TEA safe.
(Attachment Link)

Drool. I finally got my S&B 5-25 PM2-2 P4L  on my Savage Drake .338LM to work. Now I need something for acoustics mgmt. Like a Silencer.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, kj7e

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #44316 on: December 07, 2019, 06:41:20 pm »
Best way to piss off an audiophool.

Best hifi I have ever owned:

I have worked in the broadcast industry since 2001, to say those are the best speakers you have ever owned does hurt.  I'm no audiophile, Id like to think I'm smarter than that haha, but I do enjoy a quality sound.  Last year I was fortunate enough to pick up some Yamaha NS-901's powered by a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2080 which does a great job.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #44317 on: December 07, 2019, 06:43:32 pm »

Gratuitous photo included, Wilson Combat full billet upper/lower 458 SOCOM with my Barns 300gr TTSX handloads.  Keeping my TEA safe.
(Attachment Link)

Drool. I finally got my S&B 5-25 PM2-2 P4L  on my Savage Drake .338LM to work. Now I need something for acoustics mgmt. Like a Silencer.

Nice!  Dont make me dig out my 338LM haha!  Had a custom Bartlein 29" 1-9.5" 5R twist heavy contour barrel made for it about 2 years ago, its a damn laser. 

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #44318 on: December 07, 2019, 07:27:05 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Nice!  Dont make me dig out my 338LM haha!  Had a custom Bartlein 29" 1-9.5" 5R twist heavy contour barrel made for it about 2 years ago, its a damn laser.
Nice.  :)
These ^ after watching American Sniper again last night has my right forefinger getting itchy for some scratching.  ;)
Booked a few rounds of Trap here today with some friends but only DTL but that should ease the itch some.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #44319 on: December 07, 2019, 07:32:04 pm »
Well the USPS finally came through - the 3D Fused linear Y axis rail is here.

Now all I gotta do is install it ...  :popcorn:

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44320 on: December 07, 2019, 07:37:40 pm »
Best way to piss off an audiophool.

Best hifi I have ever owned:

I have worked in the broadcast industry since 2001, to say those are the best speakers you have ever owned does hurt.  I'm no audiophile, Id like to think I'm smarter than that haha, but I do enjoy a quality sound.  Last year I was fortunate enough to pick up some Yamaha NS-901's powered by a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2080 which does a great job.

My point was intentionally trite :)

I’ve got some top end HD-25’s here as well and for listening the Apple earphones are better. New Apple earphones cost lest than the damn cable for the HD-25’s!

Objective ways of improving sound quality:

1. Be in a band and play an instrument.
2. Realise the difference between a 95% or 98% rating isn’t worth paying for.
3. Consume copious quantities of alcohol then anything sounds good (even “bullshit” by “SAM”)
4. Listen to stuff that sounds like ass even if you play it on an LM386 running too few volts into a $0.20 Chinese feeper and a high end hifi and it sounds the same.

Bingo!

TEA related for once: power meter done. Calibration in progress. After some experimentation I decided to hit 5W on the power meter and make a 50W 10dB external attenuator and a 50W 3dB external attenuator and stack them up.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44321 on: December 07, 2019, 07:42:12 pm »

(Attachment Link)

These ^ after watching American Sniper again last night has my right forefinger getting itchy for some scratching.  ;)
Booked a few rounds of Trap here today with some friends but only DTL but that should ease the itch some.
3 weeks ago I had to make a choice. Would I spend my bonus (or part of it) on that shiny .408CT with scope and everything, or would I just get a friggin' Oscilloscope.
The Oscilloscope won. No .408ct for me.
But, that's the way of the TE Addict.

btw Hubby is succumbing to his addiction ...
which gives me time to look for further TE. I have spotted a Xilinx Zynq ZCU 104 board ...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 07:44:55 pm by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, kj7e, mnementh

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #44322 on: December 07, 2019, 07:46:44 pm »
Somebody shoot me please and put me out of my misery.  |O  I decided to nuke WIN7 off my TEA system and installed Linux Mint. The install went fine. The issue is...and ALWAYS is....WIN10. My home network right now is in shambles. WIN10 is such a bastard when trying to connect to other machines on the network. After lots of fumbling around I did finally get WIN10 to recognize and connect to Mint. Right now getting files arranged and transferred. But what an ordeal!  ::)

And if it wasn't for my other WIN7 machine.....which found the Mint machine with NO issue....I STILL wouldn't know what syntax WIN10 required to connect.  |O

Bill Gates...you're an asshole.  >:D

I've spent who knows how many hours trying to get my Win 10 systems to allow file sharing connections from Linux (mainly Raspberry Pi's with Kodi).  Then one day I discovered that Win 10 had decided to declare MY OWN WiFi network was a "Public Network" and that was why I was having so much trouble.  So go to the "Network and Sharing Center" and make sure it says it's a private network.

Another problem I had was on one of my systems Win 10 somehow decided to make my username "Carl Smith" instead of "cdsmi" and I didn't discover this until it was sort of too late.  If I had caught it right away I would have just created a new user account and deleted that one but it would be a big hassle now to do that.  And Linux doesn't appreciate spaces in usernames.  So I finally figured out when I set up a Ras Pi with Kodi I had to enter "Carl\ Smith" as the user to get Winblowz 10 to accept the login.  |O

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #44323 on: December 07, 2019, 07:56:42 pm »

(Attachment Link)

3 weeks ago I had to make a choice. Would I spend my bonus (or part of it) on that shiny .408CT with scope and everything, or would I just get a friggin' Oscilloscope.
The Oscilloscope won. No .408ct for me.
But, that's the way of the TE Addict.
:-DD
Same here, Current probe or new tube on a .223, current probe won and now I have sights on another !  |O
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44324 on: December 07, 2019, 07:58:15 pm »
something TEA-related:
When I stopped supporting our pathology lab, they gave me a Mettler Toledo Precision scale as a parting gift.
It was used to weigh organs (mostly rat / mouse), so it is perfect as a powder measure. And it is good down to a microgram.
It's currently sitting next to that logic analyzer.
Hell, I need more space.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf