Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14821842 times)

McBryce and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44450 on: December 08, 2019, 08:27:18 pm »
Got to admit I’m on the fence with Carlson. I respect what he has done and don’t find him patronising but I find him irritating for some reason. I still watch videos occasionally if on topic of interest but find them rather slow. Life’s not very long. As for the clean bench, I like a clean bench too! I agree with your points there though.

I wonder what they think of MIKROWAVE1 (my favourite channel). Typical content: https://youtu.be/WwMxbp0YwUA

I enjoy his work, but I tend to be choosy about what I watch of his. I really couldn't give a flying flip about repairing all american 5 tube radios, for instance. It's simply not something that I'm interested in. His patreon content (at least what you get at the cheapest tier) is more useful to me as learning/refresher material. Occasionally he pulls out something that's really unique in this day and age, such as his video about vacuum tube op-amps.

I do appreciate that he doesn't rush and he isn't sponsored by anyone (at least that's obvious). They are nice videos to put on as background noise while working on other things at the very least.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44451 on: December 08, 2019, 08:28:45 pm »
Got to admit I’m on the fence with Carlson. I respect what he has done and don’t find him patronising but I find him irritating for some reason. I still watch videos occasionally if on topic of interest but find them rather slow. Life’s not very long. As for the clean bench, I like a clean bench too! I agree with your points there though.

I wonder what they think of MIKROWAVE1 (my favourite channel). Typical content: https://youtu.be/WwMxbp0YwUA

I have the same impression. I think it's because, some times, he is pretending (that's my interpretation) that he invented something but doesn't want to explain too much how it's working and all. But yeah overall, his videos are too slow and I'm not learning much.

Also once, he was recommending to not desolder smd electrolytic cap and just twist them with plier. Stopped watching at that point  ^-^

For repairs, "The signal path" is in my opinion the best. The guy is head of mm wave department at Bell Labs.

I also like the Signal Path but sometimes he is WAY over my head and I'm not even in the same league.  :scared: :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44452 on: December 08, 2019, 08:34:12 pm »

I enjoy his work, but I tend to be choosy about what I watch of his. I really couldn't give a flying flip about repairing all american 5 tube radios, for instance. It's simply not something that I'm interested in. His patreon content (at least what you get at the cheapest tier) is more useful to me as learning/refresher material. Occasionally he pulls out something that's really unique in this day and age, such as his video about vacuum tube op-amps.

I do appreciate that he doesn't rush and he isn't sponsored by anyone (at least that's obvious). They are nice videos to put on as background noise while working on other things at the very least.

And I DO give a flying flip about repairing all American 5 tube radios.....so there!   :P :P :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44453 on: December 08, 2019, 08:35:23 pm »
I love watching videos of all American 5 radios too. No isolation transformer. If only they did live streams  >:D  :popcorn:

If you want something weird, YT member glasslinger is where it's at:

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44454 on: December 08, 2019, 08:37:22 pm »

I have the same impression. I think it's because, some times, he is pretending (that's my interpretation) that he invented something but doesn't want to explain too much how it's working and all. But yeah overall, his videos are too slow and I'm not learning much.

Also once, he was recommending to not desolder smd electrolytic cap and just twist them with plier. Stopped watching at that point  ^-^

For repairs, "The signal path" is in my opinion the best. The guy is head of mm wave department at Bell Labs.

I also like the Signal Path but sometimes he is WAY over my head and I'm not even in the same league.  :scared: :-DD

Well don't worry, i'm on the same boat  ^-^ it's probably like that for most of his viewers.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44455 on: December 08, 2019, 08:37:35 pm »
Signal Path is probably my favorite electronics youtuber, simply because he is so advanced. No one else talks about that stuff in the open. BTW, he is a forum member. Username is "Hugoneous" or similar.

FedEx must be already working holiday overtime because the jammy git 6227B power supply showed up today. Extremely well packed, too  :-+ It is working quite well, load tested it with a handy vacuum tube.  :-DD Ripple seems fine; had to use a 7A22 differential amplifier to even see any.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, kj7e, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44456 on: December 08, 2019, 08:40:26 pm »
I love watching videos of all American 5 radios too. No isolation transformer. If only they did live streams  >:D  :popcorn:

:-DD

The funny part is when he starts talking to his wife. For some reason, I was expecting someone like that to have a husband. I'm probably too close minded  ^-^

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44457 on: December 08, 2019, 08:42:12 pm »

Yea, I've watched him a few times. The radio is not the only thing that's a boomerang.  :-DD :-DD 

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44458 on: December 08, 2019, 08:48:41 pm »
The funny part is when he starts talking to his wife. For some reason, I was expecting someone like that to have a husband. I'm probably too close minded  ^-^

He's just being what he wants to be!  :-+

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #44459 on: December 08, 2019, 08:50:06 pm »
having 2 rather expensive 100W mono tube amps that I really care about and knowing jack shit about vacuum tubes I am kinda glad that there are people out there who still can fix this stuff.

I like to learn stuff. But when it comes to stuff that can easily kill or seriously injure me, I am kinda hesitant and somewhat careful. I mean, I would not check why that class 4 laser does not switch on without the proper eye protection ...
Which reminds me ... where did I put that ......

Anybody have a klystron for some speed trap ecm ?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44460 on: December 08, 2019, 08:52:03 pm »

And pray tell, just what hell is it he wants to be??  :-// :-// :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44461 on: December 08, 2019, 08:53:39 pm »

At least he's not a furry!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44462 on: December 08, 2019, 08:54:33 pm »
having 2 rather expensive 100W mono tube amps that I really care about and knowing jack shit about vacuum tubes I am kinda glad that there are people out there who still can fix this stuff.

I like to learn stuff. But when it comes to stuff that can easily kill or seriously injure me, I am kinda hesitant and somewhat careful. I mean, I would not check why that class 4 laser does not switch on without the proper eye protection ...

There are 2 things that I will absolutely not fuck with (actually 3): Magnetrons, lasers, X-Ray tubes.  :scared: :-- :--

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44463 on: December 08, 2019, 09:03:44 pm »

There are 2 things that I will absolutely not fuck with (actually 3): Magnetrons, lasers, X-Ray tubes.  :scared: :-- :--

X-ray machine would be cool  8)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #44464 on: December 08, 2019, 09:03:53 pm »
absolutely. add to that some chemicals that I would definitely stay away from such as hydroflouric acid.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44465 on: December 08, 2019, 09:06:48 pm »

And I DO give a flying flip about repairing all American 5 tube radios.....so there!   :P :P :-DD

I mean, they are neat and all that, it's just not where my interests lay.  :-+

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44466 on: December 08, 2019, 09:12:23 pm »
--- .... -.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- .. -.. .. -.. - .... .. ... .. -. -- -.-- .-.. .. .-. ... - .--- --- -...

OK, for those of us who are CW ignorant what does it say?
Quote from: Saskia
Oh, cool. I did that in my first job.

.. ..-. .- .. .-.. . -.. -- .. ... . .-. .- -... .-.. -.-- ... . ...- . .-. .- .-.. - .. -- . ... .- -. -.. .. .- -- -. --- .-- .- ... .... .- -- . .-.. . ... ... .- -... ..- ... . .-. --- ..-. --- -. .-.. .. -. . - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. ...

mnem
.-.. .. -.-. -.- -- . ·-·-·- .. - ... --- -.- .- -.-- .. -- -.. -.-. ·-·-·- ---··· .--.

You suck! Freaking wise asses.  :rant: :-DD You're gonna force me to Google...ain't ya?  :scared:

nah, no need.
I said that I did that in my first job. And he replied that he failed miserably several times and now shamelessly uses online translators.
Thank you Hoka, Wavecom etc. There are not many things that I would admit I can't do and probably never could learn.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44467 on: December 08, 2019, 09:14:05 pm »

X-ray machine would be cool  8)

Look, only 20$!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-ray-Image-Intensifier-Screen-for-experiments-with-x-ray-tube-x-ray-photografy/253987892134?hash=item3b22dbaba6:g:070AAOSwVFlT8niH

It's probably safe right ?  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 09:22:44 pm by Kosmic »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44468 on: December 08, 2019, 09:14:47 pm »

I mean, they are neat and all that, it's just not where my interests lay.  :-+

I'm just busting your stones.  8)

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44469 on: December 08, 2019, 09:15:51 pm »
At least he's not a furry!

*grrrrrs softly in bd’s general direction*

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44470 on: December 08, 2019, 09:16:58 pm »

Never had cause to play with Magnetrons or X-ray tubes but I've played with lasers quite a bit. As long as they're visible light they're not too scary - non-visible light lasers need playing with in a proper laser lab with all the standard precautions in place. What's scary is the monster Cockcroft multipliers you needed for the early gas lasers - the first HeNe laser I had needed a 2kV supply. Bzzzt!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #44472 on: December 08, 2019, 09:18:58 pm »
I will never be off the steep part of the learning cure, I think...

More work on the 184. This being my first one, I don't really know what a "good" unit should look like. And, sometimes with stuff like this, there have been ECOs that aren't documented in the available documentation, so I can't always tell whether a change is a "supposed to be there" or is just what it looks like, a bodge. Turns out there's more likelihood of a bodge than an ECO on this one.  Someone did a really bad job repairing the part of the circuit (lifted traces, solder blobs, etc) that generates the 1 and 5 microsecond trigger/mark outputs and includes this mysterious delay line. Here's just a partial list.

There are supposed to be ferrites (wound as chokes) on the entrance and export ports of the delay lines, which have been removed.

When the ferrites were removed, all that extra wire was crumbled up and stuck under the board, holes drilled in the board and the wire fed up through and tacked down to the end of resistors.   :palm:

At least six transistors were changed out and the substitutes require different biasing.  At one place a diode was subbed for a collector bias resistor, moving the bias point from 9.5V to 12V and eliminating half of the signal swing.  :palm: 

The variable capacitor that adjusts the "bucket size"  for a countdown counter was jammed to one end, so there are sometimes six pulses counted rather than five (for the 1us to 5us conversion). This was done to account for the change caused by the diode sub listed above, I think.  :palm:

I am sure that the repair effort was aimed at getting this gear working in one particular situation and once it was working that way, the buttons were taped over so no one could f**k with it.  It probably even worked.  :wtf:

Now that I have reached an appropriate level of being offended by the damage done to this fine piece of gear, I am afraid it has become a quest: can I return this 184 to its pristine, well-engineered and built pre-bodge condition? And how much money with I have to expend acquiring no-longer-made diodes, transistors, and ferrites in order to do so ?   ;D

specialization is for insects.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44473 on: December 08, 2019, 09:21:21 pm »
The Gorilla's really got to that 184, didn't they?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44474 on: December 08, 2019, 09:24:29 pm »
absolutely. add to that some chemicals that I would definitely stay away from such as hydroflouric acid.

HF is nasty, but it's OK to work with as long as you (1) make sure that you know what you're doing and (2) use all the right safety gear (including having Calcium Gluconate gel on hand for first aid) (3) never, ever take short cuts or be slipshod in your working practices.

It's a bit like working with high voltage - what you can get away with at 100V you can't at 1kV, and what you can get away with with 5M H2SO4 you can't with HF.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf