Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549733 times)

ProtonFox, powerflux, SashPlane and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44600 on: December 09, 2019, 06:08:16 pm »
Choke on the price of this one....

It's not RPN though ...  :-//

:-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #44601 on: December 09, 2019, 06:23:26 pm »
I am sure one of the commodore fan boys will jump at the opportunity.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44602 on: December 09, 2019, 06:27:26 pm »
There are times, in this thread, when it seems better to sit back and

:popcorn:

for a while.

Those are the BEST times.  ;D

mnem
Enjoy the ride... ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44603 on: December 09, 2019, 06:34:44 pm »
Code: [Select]
# apt dist-upgrade
# apt spill-coffee

You're no fucking help.  :-DD

Yeah. It should have been:
apt-get --dry-run spill-coffee

I'll wait for the .msi thanks.  :-DD

mnem

caffeine.msi
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 06:40:05 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #44604 on: December 09, 2019, 06:34:51 pm »
5W range  :popcorn:

I’ve got an AD8307 board and AVR based power meter display I designed floating around.  :-+

Edit found picture of prototype. Can’t find picture of final build  :palm:

Another A+ in uglyness, thats for sure. RF Klingon building style, never meant to pamper the weak or cowardly.
To hell with the pedantic laws of RF physics.
This thing can probably measure the RF stray of its own little computer used, almost no other power meters are capable of doing this  >:D
Some PITA pedantic advice might be a separation of analog from digital part, some brass box shielding, ...
then it could asymptotically converge to a usable instrument.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44605 on: December 09, 2019, 06:38:51 pm »
absolutely. add to that some chemicals that I would definitely stay away from such as hydroflouric acid.

Here's a few more, delivered with a delightful sense of humour: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/category/things-i-wont-work-with

Now THAT chemistry is definitely recreational... so long as it's observed from the other side of a computer screen.   ;)

mnem
Just like watching me when I get doing a little "empirical engineering"... :o

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44606 on: December 09, 2019, 06:51:52 pm »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44607 on: December 09, 2019, 06:53:32 pm »
Yep. I was thinking more that I'm fed up of dodging bits of flying MOSFET  :-DD

Random thing. Found this rather amusing. ST TnG camera stablised  :-DD   

Ever see a chip get blown clean through a TO-3 case leaving a nice little hole? I have, multiple times, with early switch regulators at IBM that clearly had a design flaw.  :scared:

Edit....makes a hell of a bang too.

>:D

ST:TOS was notorious for such egregious displays of hamfisted direction in action sequences; when they tried to make it more realistic with actual special effects in several episodes of TNG, viewers complained.  :palm:

mnem
*off to do a little "empirical engineering" right now*

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44608 on: December 09, 2019, 07:00:01 pm »

# apt dist-upgrade
# apt spill-coffee

You're no fucking help.  :-DD
>:D

Seller didn't accept my offer on new toy :(

My Condor power supply just arrived:

Nicely built. Will see if it works later when I can be bothered to lash up a suicide cord
What was the new toy going to be had it been accepted?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44609 on: December 09, 2019, 07:04:01 pm »
Yep. I was thinking more that I'm fed up of dodging bits of flying MOSFET  :-DD

Random thing. Found this rather amusing. ST TnG camera stablised  :-DD

Piss poor acting though, they are all going in different directions  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44610 on: December 09, 2019, 07:14:00 pm »
Marconi 2019. Still up there if anyone else wants it.

Theres a TF2016 up there as well but the price is a bit high.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44611 on: December 09, 2019, 07:18:01 pm »
5W range  :popcorn:

I’ve got an AD8307 board and AVR based power meter display I designed floating around.  :-+

Edit found picture of prototype. Can’t find picture of final build  :palm:

Another A+ in uglyness, thats for sure. RF Klingon building style, never meant to pamper the weak or cowardly.
To hell with the pedantic laws of RF physics.
This thing can probably measure the RF stray of its own little computer used, almost no other power meters are capable of doing this  >:D
Some PITA pedantic advice might be a separation of analog from digital part, some brass box shielding, ...
then it could asymptotically converge to a usable instrument.

Yes that was only a prototype that. Mainly to establish the software. The current version is well shielded. The analogue part is in a Hammond box. That just gets whopped into a DMM at the moment.

I have two. This was the first one which had better shielding :)

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #44612 on: December 09, 2019, 07:18:36 pm »

887052-0

This one is for the dwagon as he rebuilds the bench.1

eBay auction: # 254201050842

Apparently math is, well, different in Canada.

1now why mnen is rebuilding his bench rather than digging into the two or three trailer trucks worth of stuff he hauled north, well no one really knows.  ;D
specialization is for insects.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44613 on: December 09, 2019, 07:19:13 pm »
I once had some Marconi engineer on the phone who had some driver issues with the ATM driver for AIX. The driver kept crashing the kernel. Turned out that he paged out part of his driver and then disabled interrupts.
d'oh ....

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #44614 on: December 09, 2019, 07:30:47 pm »

I think this is going to be my new tag line (from Derek Lowe's blog):

no unplanned detonations were encountered

specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44615 on: December 09, 2019, 08:12:07 pm »
Someone here needs this;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Friden-EC-1117-Vintage-Calculator-WORKING-with-NIXIE-TUBE-Style-DISPLAY/133259847344?hash=item1f06e7e6b0:g:7UwAAOSwR-9d5bZX

hoochie mama! 

now that there is some nixie goodness!

bd should get in on the bidding.......it has two (count 'em two) = keys!
free range primate

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #44616 on: December 09, 2019, 08:25:09 pm »
absolutely. add to that some chemicals that I would definitely stay away from such as hydroflouric acid.

Here's a few more, delivered with a delightful sense of humour: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/category/things-i-wont-work-with

Now THAT chemistry is definitely recreational... so long as it's observed from the other side of a computer screen.   ;)

Arguably it is more recreational in real life, judging by the number of the blog posts contain phrases like "walk in the other direction", "run away", "dive out the door", "carom off trees and dive into ponds" :)

When you get bored of Christmas, that blog will keep you entertained.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #44617 on: December 09, 2019, 08:29:04 pm »

I think this is going to be my new tag line (from Derek Lowe's blog):

no unplanned detonations were encountered

Yes, I noticed that one as well. He found it in a paper describing the properties of one of the compounds he won't touch.

I did chemistry A-level (i.e. one of 3 subjects taken from 16-18). I'm still pondering whether Lowe's blog makes me happy or sad that I didn't do chemistry at university.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44618 on: December 09, 2019, 09:07:20 pm »
bd139....what's with the MIKROWAVE1 guy? Decent content but holy crap. Is he dyslexic or something? He jumps around, back and forth, and is hard to follow. And his video editing skills blow chunks. And his belief that you can reform capacitors is a total freaking fail.  :--

Is this why you like him so much?  :-DD 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44619 on: December 09, 2019, 09:22:49 pm »
I once had some Marconi engineer on the phone who had some driver issues with the ATM driver for AIX. The driver kept crashing the kernel. Turned out that he paged out part of his driver and then disabled interrupts.
d'oh ....

I worked in final systems test for IBM P6 and P7 mainframes that had a "Test in house only" AIX as their OS. As far as getting into the OS itself we really didn't all that much except verified that it booted up. And it took a long time boot from a cold start......typically 1 to 2 hours based upon the system memory size. And after test was complete the AIX was wiped off before shipment.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44620 on: December 09, 2019, 09:28:13 pm »
bd139....what's with the MIKROWAVE1 guy? Decent content but holy crap. Is he dyslexic or something? He jumps around, back and forth, and is hard to follow. And his video editing skills blow chunks. And his belief that you can reform capacitors is a total freaking fail.  :--

Yeah that’s a complaint of mine with his videos. The editing is crap. I don’t mind. Keeps me awake  :-DD

As for reforming capacitors, it does actually work. I did it when I was a kid and couldn’t afford new ones.. I’ve also built electrolytic capacitors from scratch and you have to form them to start with. The process literally forms the aluminium oxide layer. However it only works if the capacitors are not damaged in any way ie haven’t gassed out or rotted or got shorts in them. Also multi caps in one can seem to give out. Most of the time it’s hardly worth it though as new ones are better anyway so what’s a couple of quid  :-//

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44621 on: December 09, 2019, 09:30:22 pm »
d'oh ....

I worked in final systems test for IBM P6 and P7 mainframes that had a "Test in house only" AIX as their OS. As far as getting into the OS itself we really didn't all that much except verified that it booted up. And it took a long time boot from a cold start......typically 1 to 2 hours based upon the system memory size. And after test was complete the AIX was wiped off before shipment.

I’d just like to take an opportunity here to say I hate AIX and RS6K with an unhinged devotion after a run in with an H70  :-DD

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #44622 on: December 09, 2019, 09:34:23 pm »
And there are days where I shouldn't get out of bed....

Upgrading Mint 17.3 to 18 via terminal commands....a real treat.

Wait...  What?!  You don't always do all your upgrades via a ssh or serial/local console or something?   ;)

So strange.....

I'm a FreeBSD guru rather than Linux user but I rarely even think about the fact that are probably ways to do "upgrades" other than just typing a couple commands.    ;D

For me on FreeBSD it's generally basically just a "make buildworld ; make installworld" but even that tends to be rare.  I usually seem to run 1000+ day uptimes on most of my machines, shutting down only for hardware maintenance/replacement or when some giant UPS fails even though the mains is actually still on.   :palm:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44623 on: December 09, 2019, 09:35:48 pm »
d'oh ....

I’d just like to take an opportunity here to say I hate AIX and RS6K with an unhinged devotion after a run in with an H70  :-DD

AIX was no prize in systems test either. You had to watch it while it took forever to boot. Because sometimes it would hang and loop FOREVER. There was one specific code that would continuously spit out if it was looping. Some of my dumber peers never caught on to that fact and would sit there for hours wondering what the hell was wrong.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44624 on: December 09, 2019, 09:38:05 pm »

Yeah that’s a complaint of mine with his videos. The editing is crap. I don’t mind. Keeps me awake  :-DD

As for reforming capacitors, it does actually work. I did it when I was a kid and couldn’t afford new ones.. I’ve also built electrolytic capacitors from scratch and you have to form them to start with. The process literally forms the aluminium oxide layer. However it only works if the capacitors are not damaged in any way ie haven’t gassed out or rotted or got shorts in them. Also multi caps in one can seem to give out. Most of the time it’s hardly worth it though as new ones are better anyway so what’s a couple of quid  :-//

He was trying to reform a 4 section can. That almost never works and it didn't. He had to change it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf