Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14816724 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44625 on: December 09, 2019, 09:39:59 pm »
And there are days where I shouldn't get out of bed....

Upgrading Mint 17.3 to 18 via terminal commands....a real treat.

Wait...  What?!  You don't always do all your upgrades via a ssh or serial/local console or something?   ;)

So strange.....

I'm a FreeBSD guru rather than Linux user but I rarely even think about the fact that are probably ways to do "upgrades" other than just typing a couple commands.    ;D

For me on FreeBSD it's generally basically just a "make buildworld ; make installworld" but even that tends to be rare.  I usually seem to run 1000+ day uptimes on most of my machines, shutting down only for hardware maintenance/replacement or when some giant UPS fails even though the mains is actually still on.   :palm:

Cut me some slack.  ;D Linux is my "2nd language" and I'm still a newb. Been in the Windows environment way too long.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #44626 on: December 09, 2019, 09:48:28 pm »
Regarding AIX  I tend to disagree.
I was contracting with IBM and helping them out in HACMP and PSSP support back in those days of AIX 4.3 - 5.1.
Even though we managed to blow a computing center fuse once by powering on 80 fully loaded power 3 nodes with 16 cores each simultaneously, booting, recovering, ..., etc was not a big issue. Neither was reinstalling the OS. One of my colleagues and myself wrote a script to do that on those 80 nodes including setting up partitions, rvsds and GPFS plus system tuning in less than 4 hours. That's reinstalling on 80 nodes including cluster setup. Try to do that with Windows ...

Also the kernel was easy to read, we had this nice serial entry point via console and NMI, and could clear a hang via direct manipulation of the cpu registers (including bumping hung threads off the core it ran on). The only situation where we were completely out of luck was when part of the kernel was paged out and interrupts were disabled.

I once remembered a session in one of the internal training classes (where I usually would not have been allowed to participate, being an external), when the presenter showed us the various interrupt handling calls and I asked him where lock was freed as I was only seeing the interrupt handling code. He looked at me for a few seconds, then started rummaging through his code until he finally found the call to the assembler locking instructions. The guy sitting next to me (one of those AIX champions) said: how come you know this stuff ? you don't have access to the source ? and I told him: why would I need that, I have a disassembler ... *dead silence*

Those were good times, in which real men were still real men and real women real women. *sigh*.

TE involved: kernel debugger ...

BTW I still have that 4.4 BSD source license ...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44627 on: December 09, 2019, 09:59:43 pm »

(Attachment Link)

This one is for the dwagon as he rebuilds the bench.1

eBay auction: # 254201050842

Apparently math is, well, different in Canada.

1now why mnen is rebuilding his bench rather than digging into the two or three trailer trucks worth of stuff he hauled north, well no one really knows.  ;D
Yay, and it has an = key as well now that is a proper calculator but a bit limited by today's standards.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #44628 on: December 09, 2019, 10:00:40 pm »
Just another day of first world problems...

three packages in the Fedex system, two late, one MIA
    two packages in the USPS system, one late
    two packages in the UPS system, one MIA
    one package in the British Post, not traceable from the beginning

and that's just what they will admit.  The MIA fedex package has been bouncing between two facilities on the east coast for four or five days now. My latest hypothesis: two guys cut the box in half, each took one of the pieces with a barcode, and they take turns running it through the arrival and departure scans at their respective depots.   ;D

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:02:35 pm by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44629 on: December 09, 2019, 10:28:37 pm »
Regarding AIX  I tend to disagree.
I was contracting with IBM and helping them out in HACMP and PSSP support back in those days of AIX 4.3 - 5.1.
Even though we managed to blow a computing center fuse once by powering on 80 fully loaded power 3 nodes with 16 cores each simultaneously, booting, recovering, ..., etc was not a big issue. Neither was reinstalling the OS. One of my colleagues and myself wrote a script to do that on those 80 nodes including setting up partitions, rvsds and GPFS plus system tuning in less than 4 hours. That's reinstalling on 80 nodes including cluster setup. Try to do that with Windows ...

Also the kernel was easy to read, we had this nice serial entry point via console and NMI, and could clear a hang via direct manipulation of the cpu registers (including bumping hung threads off the core it ran on). The only situation where we were completely out of luck was when part of the kernel was paged out and interrupts were disabled.

I once remembered a session in one of the internal training classes (where I usually would not have been allowed to participate, being an external), when the presenter showed us the various interrupt handling calls and I asked him where lock was freed as I was only seeing the interrupt handling code. He looked at me for a few seconds, then started rummaging through his code until he finally found the call to the assembler locking instructions. The guy sitting next to me (one of those AIX champions) said: how come you know this stuff ? you don't have access to the source ? and I told him: why would I need that, I have a disassembler ... *dead silence*

Those were good times, in which real men were still real men and real women real women. *sigh*.

TE involved: kernel debugger ...

BTW I still have that 4.4 BSD source license ...

Diametric opposite of my experience circa 2000. H70 had persistent memory errors. Literally bus errors every few minutes. First IBM blamed the vendor for the application because that was dumping core. The vendor bought an H70 that worked. Then IBM blamed our sysadmin for futzing with vmo. Eventually they swapped CPUs out. Yep duff CPU. But they charged us £5k for apparently breaking it  :palm:

Regarding the old days I’m glad they’re gone. No 10base2, no netbooting 500 workstations, no trays full of drives playing swapsies all day, no carting trolleys of DLT tapes around, no lost Sun SSP crypto keys, no dialup shite and RAS stuff, no arguing with minor compiler and library variations across platforms, no broken 13W3 connectors, no nasty SCSI daisy chains from hell, no NIS/YP, no CDE, no arguing with licensing technicalities, no purchase orders !

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44630 on: December 09, 2019, 10:37:24 pm »
Marconi 2019. Still up there if anyone else wants it.

Theres a TF2016 up there as well but the price is a bit high.
Thanks, I agree it is expensive, off has been dispatched, now it's my turn to wait.  :scared:

The TF2019 is just too much a boat anchor for my humble bench, as it is if accepted, I shall have cull some of my bench meters  :palm: to accommodate it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #44631 on: December 09, 2019, 10:37:31 pm »
hmm, that was around the same time I was working in the 2nd level support lab for EMEA. Seems to me that your issues were never forwarded to us.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44632 on: December 09, 2019, 10:43:03 pm »
Our local rep was an asshat. Wouldn’t surprise me if it didn’t get past that. We probably paid for it because it was a sale then and not a repair so he’d get his commission and look like the shined turd he was. We fired them shortly after that, turfed all the commercial Unix stuff in a skip and went windows 2000 across the site. No regrets  :-DD. Still the best choice for Corp networks.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44633 on: December 09, 2019, 10:44:24 pm »
Marconi 2019. Still up there if anyone else wants it.

Theres a TF2016 up there as well but the price is a bit high.
Thanks, I agree it is expensive, off has been dispatched, now it's my turn to wait.  :scared:

The TF2019 is just too much a boat anchor for my humble bench, as it is if accepted, I shall have cull some of my bench meters  :palm: to accommodate it.

The 2019 is a pretty complicated beast as well. If anything goes wrong fixes are not trivial. Still regret selling the one I paid £5 for  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44634 on: December 10, 2019, 12:56:51 am »
Random thing. Found this rather amusing. ST TnG camera stablised  :-DD   
Piss poor acting though, they are all going in different directions  :-DD :-DD

No, they were DIRECTED to ham it up like that. Sweriously.  :palm:

This one is for the dwagon as he rebuilds the bench.1eBay auction: # 254201050842

Apparently math is, well, different in Canada.

1now why mnen is rebuilding his bench rather than digging into the two or three trailer trucks worth of stuff he hauled north, well no one really knows.  ;D

Well, yeah... they have to count all the lost teeth from the national pastime, ya hoser!
;)

1 Legal issues. 'nuff sed.  :palm:

mnem
Just a few more TE... then I'll be a REAL BOY... *judder-judder*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #44635 on: December 10, 2019, 01:05:39 am »
5W range  :popcorn:

I’ve got an AD8307 board and AVR based power meter display I designed floating around.  :-+

Edit found picture of prototype. Can’t find picture of final build  :palm:

Another A+ in uglyness, thats for sure. RF Klingon building style, never meant to pamper the weak or cowardly.
To hell with the pedantic laws of RF physics.
This thing can probably measure the RF stray of its own little computer used, almost no other power meters are capable of doing this  >:D
Some PITA pedantic advice might be a separation of analog from digital part, some brass box shielding, ...
then it could asymptotically converge to a usable instrument.

Yes that was only a prototype that. Mainly to establish the software. The current version is well shielded. The analogue part is in a Hammond box. That just gets whopped into a DMM at the moment.

I have two. This was the first one which had better shielding :)

Chapeau ! I see huge progress. Next design is a Rohde and Schwarz lookalike.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #44636 on: December 10, 2019, 07:55:20 am »
8 hours and no posts  :scared: Lucky I have been working on Zombie apocalypse defense today  >:D

Tested out the files  :-+ Practiced draw filing on the edge (I am more rusty than the Hatchet was before I started)  :-- Linseed Oiled the handle and will tidy up the edge tomorrow on the stones as now it is well past Beer O'Clock.....

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44637 on: December 10, 2019, 09:08:48 am »
Just the perfect anchor for the owner of a 12RU box with space to spare >:D Ideal for @brumby you want a Christmas present :-DD eBay auction: #223782538722

Shame it doesn't have the 1.3GhZ module installed in spite of it bieng stickered as having it.

Or if you would like to take SHMBO for a short drive to the Mountains there is this one.  >:D Perfect place for SHMBO to bury you in the bush during the trip  :-DD eBay auction: #163978890034

Call me a Princess again I dare you ......  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44638 on: December 10, 2019, 09:14:55 am »
Still waiting for the episode where the woman gives TEA as her defence.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44639 on: December 10, 2019, 09:30:34 am »
Just the perfect anchor for the owner of a 12RU box with space to spare >:D Ideal for @brumby you want a Christmas present :-DD eBay auction: #223782538722

Shame it doesn't have the 1.3GhZ module installed in spite of it bieng stickered as having it.

Or if you would like to take SHMBO for a short drive to the Mountains there is this one.  >:D Perfect place for SHMBO to bury you in the bush during the trip  :-DD eBay auction: #163978890034

Call me a Princess again I dare you ......  ;D

5334B is piece of piss to add the 1.3GHz to. I did it with mine :)

Also 1740A here under the bed  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 09:33:17 am by bd139 »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #44640 on: December 10, 2019, 09:31:33 am »
8 hours and no posts  :scared: Lucky I have been working on Zombie apocalypse defense today  >:D

Tested out the files  :-+ Practiced draw filing on the edge (I am more rusty than the Hatchet was before I started)  :-- Linseed Oiled the handle and will tidy up the edge tomorrow on the stones as now it is well past Beer O'Clock.....

How would you recommend sharpening the concave cutting edge on this billhook?

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44641 on: December 10, 2019, 09:34:29 am »
I suggest using the bones of ex wives.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44642 on: December 10, 2019, 09:36:19 am »
Still waiting for the episode where the woman gives TEA as her defence.

McBryce.

That's not an issue here. And rarely do I even disagree with myself. 99% of the time my left brain and right brain are in sync: "I want that and I'm going to get it".  ;D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44643 on: December 10, 2019, 09:36:52 am »
Or you would maybe to a neater job with a stone for sharpening scythes.  ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=scythe+sharpening+stone&_sacat=0

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44644 on: December 10, 2019, 09:37:30 am »

I got a whole closet full I'll sell you cheap......free.  >:D :-DD

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #44645 on: December 10, 2019, 09:42:30 am »

These guys do nice leather work if you need a cover for the axe. Also great gear bags.
https://doubledleather.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=92&search=Axe+cover
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44646 on: December 10, 2019, 09:43:43 am »
I am trying to be good and not buy the Counter and I have had the talk with myself and eight is most likely plenty  ::)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44647 on: December 10, 2019, 09:54:34 am »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=scythe+sharpening+stone&_sacat=0

Those would work; some even mention billhooks specifically - but none of the pictures have quite such a pronounced hook.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44648 on: December 10, 2019, 09:56:41 am »

While our daughter might not object too much, her sisters might.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44649 on: December 10, 2019, 09:59:38 am »

Those would work; some even mention billhooks specifically - but none of the pictures have quite such a pronounced hook.

I have used similar hooks on long handles way back when for Thistles. I even used a Scythe ONCE for fun then got out the Brushcutter out for the Bracken as Scythes are to much like hard work for scrub.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf