Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14810453 times)

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44725 on: December 11, 2019, 12:14:13 am »
For all of our Nixie fanboys here:

Dalibor Farny has tested Nixie tubes at 100kHz:

I don't want to look at that video, because Nixies do not hold any interest for me, but how did that guy think that this is relevant? It is not a dekatron which counts AND displays. This is a display which has to work well for a lifeform capable of discriminating not even 50 framesa/s. :-//

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44726 on: December 11, 2019, 12:29:48 am »
Still waiting for the episode where the woman gives TEA as her defence.

McBryce.
That can be assured by aquiring a variable power supply like the one from REO that I used: 4 double-door control cabinets. + external roof unit for cooling.
'Honey, will you please open when the guys with the crane are here?..'

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #44727 on: December 11, 2019, 12:48:26 am »
Just the perfect anchor for the owner of a 12RU box with space to spare >:D Ideal for @brumby you want a Christmas present :-DD eBay auction: #223782538722

Shame it doesn't have the 1.3GhZ module installed in spite of it bieng stickered as having it.

How can you see that it does not have that board? The rear has  a 'C' connector.

Knowing the seller they would have made more of the 1.3Ghz module if it was fitted and working while they just showed it bracketed in the description as optional  :-// I would call it a bonus if it was more than a certainty.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44728 on: December 11, 2019, 12:57:26 am »
Speaking of Nixie Counters. Plastic enclosure 'New Old Stock'  :o eBay auction: #173932307199 Must have been very very late in the Nixie era.

Another one I don't 'need'  ::)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44729 on: December 11, 2019, 02:12:47 am »

:-DD   Here, I made one JUST so you could dress up for the holidays: 

mnem
 >:D

Holy crap....you're stalking me!  :scared: Either that or I have a secret admirer. Sorry pal.....you're not my type.  :P :-DD

I give it a dozen more "Merry Christmases" before you're using it as your avatar. Probably less.   >:D

mnem
And not just here on eevBlog, either. EVERYWHERE you haunt... :-DD
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 03:13:15 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44730 on: December 11, 2019, 02:22:25 am »
27 RU:      Cost: The time and fuel to pick it up.

Looks to me like the perfect home for a couple Tevo Tornadoes/CReality CR-10s. >:D

mnem
*nukular*
Hmmm....  Mixed function perhaps... 

Boat anchor TE in the bottom, 3D printing heated chamber in the top.  Fans would need to go, though.  So - where would I put it?

:scared:

You are giving me dangerous ideas.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #44731 on: December 11, 2019, 02:59:02 am »

Looks to me like the perfect home for a couple Tevo Tornadoes/CReality CR-10s. >:D

mnem
*nukular*

Boat anchor TE in the bottom, 3D printing heated chamber in the top.  Fans would need to go, though.  So - where would I put it?

You could also fit a small reflow oven while you are installing useful stuff that heats up a lot in there.    >:D
specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44732 on: December 11, 2019, 03:18:31 am »
@Brumby - "You're well-commme!!!"   >:D

@med - Merry Christmas ya chooch!
:-DD

mnem
Only eleven to go...

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44733 on: December 11, 2019, 03:40:22 am »

mnem
*nukular*

Time to start building a bigger doghouse if you keep adding server racks to the gear  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44734 on: December 11, 2019, 03:49:46 am »
Then he'll have a place to put the racks... and a good source of heat in the winter. Sounds like a win-win!  :-DD

mnem
*currently trying to crack "The Case of the Errant Ink"...*
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 06:06:46 am by mnementh »

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #44735 on: December 11, 2019, 04:07:03 am »
@Bingo600

At 2.9a, less than 1mV.

887862-0

Another shot to show the size, its fairly compact for a 12v 3a supply

887866-1

Think I used a 6,800uF Rubycon cap on the full wave bridge. 

887870-2

887874-3

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 04:09:56 am by kj7e »

The following users thanked this post: bingo600, med6753, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44736 on: December 11, 2019, 04:17:03 am »
:-DD   But wait... it gets better.      Amazon is SORRY.   Well, that totally makes up for the fact you douche-nuggets threw your customer under the bus for a fucking WEEK when the carrier lost an expedited package.   :palm:   After I got off the phone politely telling them just how skeevy THAT response was in this situation, and how I expect better from years of being a loyal Amazon customer... I realized that none of that was going to get me my fucking ink anytime soon.  |O  So I gave in to reality and ordered another one of the same; HOPEFULLY one or both will get to my by Monday.

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\
sometimes the only, albeit piddling sort of, revenge is the reverse shipping charge amazon absorbs when you initiate a "arrived too late" return.

Yeah, didn't even get that piddling bit of satisfaction this time... the package was delivered today; to some poor unsuspecting soul in Onionville, about 25 kliks south of me. So I contacted Amazon Customer Svce and my refund is now processing. Most likely, Amazon will get their money back from the carrier or insurance, and if that poor unsuspecting soul does the right thing and sends it back, eventually down the line some poor sod (maybe even me) will receive a package of dubious-quality ink that got frozen on this guy's porch because he wasn't expecting it. |O

mnem
*dubious dwagon*
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 04:28:47 am by mnementh »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #44737 on: December 11, 2019, 05:10:49 am »
:-DD   But wait... it gets better.      Amazon is SORRY.   Well, that totally makes up for the fact you douche-nuggets threw your customer under the bus for a fucking WEEK when the carrier lost an expedited package.   :palm:   After I got off the phone politely telling them just how skeevy THAT response was in this situation, and how I expect better from years of being a loyal Amazon customer... I realized that none of that was going to get me my fucking ink anytime soon.  |O  So I gave in to reality and ordered another one of the same; HOPEFULLY one or both will get to my by Monday.

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\
sometimes the only, albeit piddling sort of, revenge is the reverse shipping charge amazon absorbs when you initiate a "arrived too late" return.

Yeah, didn't even get that piddling bit of satisfaction this time... the package was delivered today; to some poor unsuspecting soul in Onionville, about 25 kliks south of me. So I contacted Amazon Customer Svce and my refund is now processing. Most likely, Amazon will get their money back from the carrier or insurance, and if that poor unsuspecting soul does the right thing and sends it back, eventually down the line some poor sod (maybe even me) will receive a package of dubious-quality ink that got frozen on this guy's porch because he wasn't expecting it. |O

mnem
*dubious dwagon*

not that it will make you feel any better but one of my fedex packages made yet another trip between the depots in pennsylvania and new jersey. this would be the fifth orbit since december 5th. for reasons that i do not understand it has been unable to attain escape velocity and i fear there is no indication that it ever will.

when i called to inquire about this curious journey,  the nice man from fedex assured me that my shipment really will arrive saturday because that's what it says on his screen. he was, in fact, incredulous when i expressed a wee bit of doubt regarding his enthusiastic certainty that this new delivery date is more certain than the last three, all of which were on his screen, too, at various points in the past week.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:12:44 am by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44738 on: December 11, 2019, 05:52:02 am »
@Brumby - "You're well-commme!!!"   >:D

@med - Merry Christmas ya chooch!
:-DD

mnem
Only eleven to go...

You've been drinking again, haven't you?  :o  How many times have you been told to stay away from that 'shine. It will make you blind.  |O :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
The Simpsons
« Reply #44739 on: December 11, 2019, 05:54:27 am »
YALBOA : Yet Another Low Balled Offer Accepted

Another Simpson 260 on its way. :palm:

Here we go .. near 20 bucks, came with the original pouch and "the evil" reversed banana probes.  ::)

The Simpsons ...

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:56:35 am by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, kj7e, bd139, mansaxel, Kosmic

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44740 on: December 11, 2019, 06:00:25 am »
Time to start building a bigger doghouse if you keep adding server racks to the gear  :-DD
The limit for the currently negotiated and occupied space is 18RU (at a push).  If someone throws up a rack between 16 and 18RU at price I can't ignore, I might just pull the trigger and see if I survive the fallout.

As it stands, I have the 12RU, the new 27RU as well as the two HUGE Compaq rack cabinets.  I know I can fit it all into the garage without problem, it's just that I'll need to re-org it first.  Not an appealing exercise - especially during the Aussie Summer.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #44741 on: December 11, 2019, 10:40:17 am »
For all of our Nixie fanboys here:

Dalibor Farny has tested Nixie tubes at 100kHz:

I don't want to look at that video, because Nixies do not hold any interest for me, but how did that guy think that this is relevant? It is not a dekatron which counts AND displays. This is a display which has to work well for a lifeform capable of discriminating not even 50 framesa/s. :-//

It was a customer request. Somebody asked for a clock which can display 10µs timeframes. Therefore the last digit of this clock must run with 100kHz.
I have no idea why this customer wants to have a nixie clock for this purpose, since LEDs are much faster, brighter and have a much better slope.
Dalibor speaks of a "little advantage" but he did not explain in detail, what this advantages may be.  :-//

But I liked the video anyway, because it is showing some highspeed videos of starting nixie displays.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44742 on: December 11, 2019, 11:59:15 am »

I believe the display was being built for someone who wanted an in-frame reference clock for use when shooting with a high  speed camera.

Edited to add: Beaten to it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 12:12:10 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44743 on: December 11, 2019, 12:31:12 pm »
hey med

Merry Christmas!
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #44744 on: December 11, 2019, 02:39:44 pm »
<sorryforthis>
Hey! I am getting close to buying two Eizo EV2750.
Now I have to get the SWMBO appoval.

I hope the Eizo are really so much better as they claim.
</sorryforthis>
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44745 on: December 11, 2019, 02:43:03 pm »

That reminds me... I need to get this down off the mantle where it's been decorating the living room and put it on the bench. >:D

The limit for the currently negotiated and occupied space is 18RU (at a push).  If someone throws up a rack between 16 and 18RU at price I can't ignore, I might just pull the trigger and see if I survive the fallout.

As it stands, I have the 12RU, the new 27RU as well as the two HUGE Compaq rack cabinets.  I know I can fit it all into the garage without problem, it's just that I'll need to re-org it first.  Not an appealing exercise - especially during the Aussie Summer.
Sounds like multiple-aspect JENGA disorder... quite an advanced case. We'll pray for you! (to have no injuries while you build the obviously necessary addition to your home)  >:D

mnem
hey med

Merry Christmas!

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #44746 on: December 11, 2019, 03:08:37 pm »

I recommend playing (and sing-a-long) Gloria Gaynor after the fallout.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #44747 on: December 11, 2019, 04:49:05 pm »
I got this mutation from Santa Claus from the nederlands.

Interesting. There seems to be something different.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44748 on: December 11, 2019, 07:41:20 pm »
I got this mutation from Santa Claus from the nederlands.      Interesting. There seems to be something different.  :)

Perhaps he's channeling these guys...  :o

mnem
Off. Slightly.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44749 on: December 11, 2019, 09:15:49 pm »

mnem
*wanders off to do... something*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf