Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14808808 times)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44850 on: December 13, 2019, 11:48:50 am »
If somebody wants to assemble some Geller voltage references, this is an opportunity to do so:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333436492815

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44851 on: December 13, 2019, 12:54:59 pm »

For fun, tell us which country this field is in: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4488068,4.9419341,21z
Then zoom out 20 or so times, so the magnification is "13.5z" rather than "21z", and answer the question again :)

I've seen that before. Due to the way the railroad was originally constructed. If I recall it's a section of Belgium physically located in the Netherlands.

What's my prize?  :-DD

Edit...I think I have it backwards......Section of Netherlands in Belgium.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 12:57:52 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44852 on: December 13, 2019, 01:30:00 pm »
@tggzzz: assuming he's not hiding in a fridge

@McBryce: the Irish are still shooting and blowing each other up. Not going to happen.
Why on earth would areas like Sunderland and Swindon for instance, which have large car plants which need access to the single market all vote conservative knowing that they had already been told if Brexit becomes a reality, the plants would close and jobs lost by the thousands? Turkeys voting for Christmas, how dumb is that?

It seems that simple 3 word slogans pickles brains to a point where they can no longer think logically for themselves, even though they have been fed a whole raft of lies which have been proven to be lies and video tape evidence given, they still vote for an act of self-destruction  :wtf:

If we had PR system here as they do in Europe then the results would be more democratic and fairer and the results for the mainland of UK (main parties) would look like this based on the percentage of the vote polled.

Party                           Current 1st passed post            PR
Conservative                          364                               273
Labour                                    202                              260
SNP                                        47                                 21
Lib Dems                                 11                                39
Plaid Cymru                              4                                 4   
Green                                       1                                 7
UKIP                                         0                                 11

Less of a dramatic swing effect would be the end result in each election, on reflection I think the PR system is a far better solution all round.

End of my breakdown of the shambolic results of last nights count.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 01:31:49 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #44853 on: December 13, 2019, 01:47:44 pm »

For fun, tell us which country this field is in: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4488068,4.9419341,21z
Then zoom out 20 or so times, so the magnification is "13.5z" rather than "21z", and answer the question again :)

I've seen that before. Due to the way the railroad was originally constructed. If I recall it's a section of Belgium physically located in the Netherlands.

What's my prize?  :-DD

Edit...I think I have it backwards......Section of Netherlands in Belgium.

Nope; no cigar. You haven't zoomed out, have you? Try it :)

And you are thinking of the Vennbahn https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/50%C2%B039'38.2%22N+6%C2%B011'38.4%22E/@50.6607305,6.1938558,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d50.6606111!4d6.194

You could also think of other European enclaves such as Campione d’Italia, Busingen, Llivia.   Not strictly enclaves, but enclaves for practical purposes: Samnaun, Jungholz, Kleinwalsertal.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #44854 on: December 13, 2019, 01:57:47 pm »

Ah, same principle here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@47.6978182,8.6904654,19z

Can you tell me, to which country "Büsingen" belongs to? :-)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44855 on: December 13, 2019, 02:20:46 pm »

Second thing... I am going to upgrade the alligator clip connector on my DE-5000R, which means I'd like to find some decent quality two conductor shielded test lead cable. Doesn't have to be expensive or six point five digit special. It does have to be test lead flexible and probably 18 or 20 gauge.  Anyone have any recommendations?  Oh yeah, I'd prefer to not buy 100' of anything.  ;D

Thanks all!

https://www.daburn.com/specs/3618-SR-Cables_Spec_Sheet.pdf   But they seem to have a minimum order, of course, so I'm guessing you found them already.

Yeah; I guess I'm trying to understand the WHY here. They already ARE a 4-wire Kelvin connection right to the base of the alligator clip; that 15mm or so of metal means precisely squat. The DE-5000 is accurate to nF AS-IS, and is as accurate at sub-ohm resistance measurement as my 3478A, only it doesn't take a week to settle down to a final measurement. :-+

:-//   So why fuck widdit?

I mean... I could understand making an EXTRA set of longer leads with alligators; to test against the shorties and for convenience' sake. But I certainly would NOT assume that any modification of the clip leads from what the meter was designed with is an "upgrade".

mnem
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 02:22:52 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #44856 on: December 13, 2019, 02:25:06 pm »
My suggestion: Scotland and NI set up a "Celtic Union" with the Republic of Ireland. That way they get to stay in the EU and the border issue is resolved too.

McBryce.

Given the SNP's delusional belief that they can leave the UK but remain in the EU and keep the £ as their unit of currency, despite being told by the EU that they'd have to apply for membership and accept the euro, I'd say anything is possible, in one's own mind, at least...

It will be interesting to see what happens when Sturgeon demands an independence referendum, since I think it unlikely that Johnson will be politically able to agree to  it.

About the best the UK can do right now is hope there's still an NHS, BBC, etc left and that they have a Labour party they feel they can vote for, next time around.

:palm:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44857 on: December 13, 2019, 02:29:06 pm »
Thanks Zucca. That may happen yet. Or may join mnem in Canada  :-DD.  As always people with bad haircuts get impeached eventually. Either way it's not about politics which is as genuine as WWE but is about people and we can all do better just to ignore the fuckery and carry on as friends and not play the us and them games that are asked of us.

Interested to see the FA-2 there. I was looking at one of them the other day. It's cheap, small and does a lot of good stuff for the money! Interested more in a "after a month" review though.

You're welcome in my home anytime as well, old friend. But just a warning; Papa Smurf already has a similar standing offer. You may have to put up with him AND ME if lady cop gets sick of his shit.  :-DD

mnem
Oh, and the kids. My little grrl is so adorable it hurts.    >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44858 on: December 13, 2019, 02:32:07 pm »
Gee, there goes Canada.  :P :P :P :-DD :-DD

Especially if YOU come to visit. :-DD

mnem
What's that flushing sound...?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44859 on: December 13, 2019, 02:34:41 pm »
Canada

Canada it's my secret dream tooo...

Oh, what the hell; you too Z... I'll just go sleep on the porch. I like the cold and I have 6 inches of blubber to keep me warm anyways... :o

mnem
Be prepared to be cuted too death, tho. :-DD
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 02:40:15 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44860 on: December 13, 2019, 02:39:49 pm »
Australia is going down the same shitter I understand. My uncle moved out there a few years back (Brisbane) and is moving back here because he says it's better. I don't know if he is an idiot or not. He used to be.

After much reflection this morning, I have decided to stay put. I'm going to sell up, cash in all of my investments and dig through some impending shit, then buy a small house somewhere semi-remote but accessible, attempt to get energy self-sufficient, dig a fucking moat and forget the human race exists.

Canada is a lot less assache, my friend. Seriously.

mnem
You know the preacher liked the cold; he knows I'm gonna stay.
California dreamin' on such a winter's day...
I'd be safe and warm…

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44861 on: December 13, 2019, 02:49:50 pm »
Indeed. Watch over the next few weeks. https://www.gov.uk/challenge-election-result among other interesting things which will happen. This is not over yet!

Just read above result and "briefly" interpreted the result map below, so what next ? Scottish are going asking to divorce too ?  :o Hope I'm wrong though.

Okay.... maybe I need to lighten up my brew a little bit; slightly less caffeine per dose.  :o I SWEAR... until I clicked on it and saw it full-size, I thought that thumb looked like Pikachu throwing up. Seriously; I thought it was a gag comic, and when I clicked on it there would be some BREXIT political comment.  :P

mnem
I swear haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on a USB here somewhere... |O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44862 on: December 13, 2019, 02:52:59 pm »
Hahaha  :-DD

This weekend's stupid project. How many watts of RF power can I get out of the large bag of 2N3904's I found clearing out the cupboard  :popcorn:

Voice or CW...?

mnem
 >:D

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44863 on: December 13, 2019, 02:59:07 pm »

The Haskell Free Library in Derby Line, VT is an interesting place as well. We need more places like this. Check it out at these coordinates 45.005760,-72.097688

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haskell_Free_Library_and_Opera_House

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #44864 on: December 13, 2019, 03:02:54 pm »
I swear haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on a USB here somewhere... |O

I have the impression, that you are developing a serious MRMRB¹ syndrome.   ???    :-DMM

Get well soon!

¹ Missing Really My Real Bench

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #44865 on: December 13, 2019, 03:17:14 pm »

This weekend's stupid project. How many watts of RF power can I get out of the large bag of 2N3904's I found clearing out the cupboard  :popcorn:

At one time as a group or as a summation?  ;D
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #44866 on: December 13, 2019, 03:26:29 pm »

Second thing... I am going to upgrade the alligator clip connector on my DE-5000R, which means I'd like to find some decent quality two conductor shielded test lead cable. Doesn't have to be expensive or six point five digit special. It does have to be test lead flexible and probably 18 or 20 gauge.  Anyone have any recommendations?  Oh yeah, I'd prefer to not buy 100' of anything.  ;D

Thanks all!

https://www.daburn.com/specs/3618-SR-Cables_Spec_Sheet.pdf   But they seem to have a minimum order, of course, so I'm guessing you found them already.

Yeah; I guess I'm trying to understand the WHY here. They already ARE a 4-wire Kelvin connection right to the base of the alligator clip; that 15mm or so of metal means precisely squat. The DE-5000 is accurate to nF AS-IS, and is as accurate at sub-ohm resistance measurement as my 3478A, only it doesn't take a week to settle down to a final measurement. :-+

:-//   So why fuck widdit?

I mean... I could understand making an EXTRA set of longer leads with alligators; to test against the shorties and for convenience' sake. But I certainly would NOT assume that any modification of the clip leads from what the meter was designed with is an "upgrade".

mnem

I am quite aware of the capabilities and limitations of the DE-5000, sir. The test leads are too short for my needs. The alligator clips are shitty. I have an extra test fixture.

And you are asking why someone would f**k widdit? In this thread? Are you kidding me?  :-DD

Ahem, now back to my original question... any suggestions on suitable cable?  Yes, thanks, I've seen that vendor and I am trying to avoid buying a roll of the stuff. I haven't found it in smaller chunks yet.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 03:28:48 pm by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #44867 on: December 13, 2019, 03:35:20 pm »
Ahem, now back to my original question... any suggestions on suitable cable?  Yes, thanks, I've seen that vendor and I am trying to avoid buying a roll of the stuff. I haven't found it in smaller chunks yet.

I am considering building my next Kelvin cable with RG316/U cable.
Isolation made of PTFE, good shielding, inner core made of silver plated copper.
Edit: and it is flexible.

http://www.l-com.com/what-does-rg316-u-mean

But I'm not really sure, if this is a really good idea. Must test it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 03:46:55 pm by BU508A »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #44868 on: December 13, 2019, 03:52:45 pm »

And you are asking why someone would f**k widdit? In this thread? Are you kidding me?  :-DD

:-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44869 on: December 13, 2019, 04:06:07 pm »

Voice or CW...?

mnem
 >:D

CW. Screw voice. Using CW people choose their words wisely :)

At one time as a group or as a summation?  ;D

You could get half a cycle at 50W out of a single 2n3904 I reckon  >:D

Actually going to parallel at least 50 (with some emitter degeneration) then use 5 to drive them.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, worsthorse

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44870 on: December 13, 2019, 04:08:38 pm »
Ooh meant to say I just bagged a bargain (I hope).

Nixies and heathkit for £12. Who can moan at that  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44871 on: December 13, 2019, 04:14:00 pm »
Just found out that the Hakko FM-203 is en route from Colorado. I should have it in a few days. I've pretty much shut down any activity here until after New Years but I will fire it up and try it out as well as show some porn.

And then this comes flying across my screen:

You're welcome in my home anytime as well, old friend. But just a warning; Papa Smurf already has a similar standing offer. You may have to put up with him AND ME if lady cop gets sick of his shit.:-DD

mnem

Wut???  :o

Does this look like a cop who's tired of my shit and wants to arrest me?
Do you see any handcuffs in this picture?
No my son, in case you have forgotten that look it is a come hither look and I want to give you a big fat kiss.
You see...I...yes, me.....bought that dress for her. All by myself. I make it my biz to know her size and what she likes.
She often remarks how much I spoil her.
You gotta keep them happy or she will toss my sorry arse in jail and throw away the key.
Took me a LONG time to figure that out but I think I found the formula.  :phew: :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44872 on: December 13, 2019, 04:15:18 pm »

It looks bodged and beat up.  :-//

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44873 on: December 13, 2019, 04:18:48 pm »

It looks bodged and beat up.  :-//

Front panel wears out on them. I know someone who has a vinyl printer so I can just make a new overlay. I might just leave it if it works.

Does up to 30 entire MHz.  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44874 on: December 13, 2019, 04:28:16 pm »
Just enough for 10 or 11 meters.  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf