Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14826087 times)

6h8c and 161 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #47075 on: January 14, 2020, 11:22:50 pm »
Today my Fluke / Philips PM6681 arrived.(SNIP)
Mains input with mains rectifier. No RIFA madness in sight.   

Did you check date code/serial on the IEC filter to make sure no time-bombs inside?

mnem
*lessons hard-learnt*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47076 on: January 14, 2020, 11:29:33 pm »
The connotative value here is that the thing in question has died or, as you on the other side of the pond might say, "gone tits up".

That's not exactly obvious in a literal sense from the saying; though may or may not be apparent from individual context. Even from your dissection of the term my first assumption would be that the thing or person had done "something very embarrassing, but that has happened to almost every one of us"...

mnem
Etymology is not "the study of insects".

The proper etymology is that it has 'shit the bed' because it has died, its sphincter muscles have relaxed and the natural has followed. But I was arriving at it from the point of view of a listener who'd never heard it before and had to second guess the meaning from the innate notion implied in the words of "it failed to perform properly and messed up" and with a little bit of context, say "the piston rod shit the bed", and you arrive at the correct meaning from the wrong reasoning. It's not right, but it's enough to understand what someone meant. I'd gleaned the meaning of the phrase well before I knew the proper derivation.

I've always taken the phrase to imply that the item in question didn't simply die, but that it made an unpleasant mess of other things in doing do.

Yes, word-weirdos like you and me know these things... but they are NOT obvious to the casual observer, which as we both know, is the best that most who claim to speak the English language can claim to be.

Living language, etc can be a total PITA sometimes...  |O

mnem
Or as Steve Allen used to refer to it... the "growing dumbth of the average citizen"... :palm:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #47077 on: January 14, 2020, 11:42:38 pm »
my new rule is no youtube except on the dammed bike thing

i am supplementing my re-learn of calculus in this way.  the length of the mit videos are, conveniently, the appropriate amount of time for a good cardio bike or stair machine workout.    ;D
specialization is for insects.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47078 on: January 14, 2020, 11:48:04 pm »
my new rule is no youtube except on the dammed bike thing

i am supplementing my re-learn of calculus in this way.  the length of the mit videos are, conveniently, the appropriate amount of time for a good cardio bike or stair machine workout.    ;D

sorry

that sounds like pain with a side order of pain
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #47079 on: January 14, 2020, 11:57:57 pm »
The best thing about last time I did Calculus type learning was the Lecturer who had a sense of humor and a personality both of which are generally lobotomised from Maths teaching type nerds  >:D Somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind unused steadily diminishing Calculus lurks......
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47080 on: January 15, 2020, 12:06:27 am »
Er Med, you do realize that those are actors don't you?  :)

We definitely only let the Yanks near the Dockland Drag Queens - War ministry edict - all the actual tottie was needed for the Brylcreem boys in the RAF.

It would be wise for you to pull up the Urban Dictionary and check out all the meanings for "tottie"   >:D :-DD

Na, I'm quite happy to be Humpty Dumpty and you sir are a shelf!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #47081 on: January 15, 2020, 12:10:39 am »
What he found was once he was outside of New England he would get really puzzling looks whenever he said something had ‘shit the bed’ because no one had any idea what he was talking about.
I find that odd. Everybody understands 'shit', everybody understands 'bed' and at sometime in their early youth everybody has done it. The meaning seems quite innately clear and a little bit of context makes it crystal clear.
The connotative value here is that the thing in question has died or, as you on the other side of the pond might say, "gone tits up".

Or become "US" (unservicable), according to legend invented during WW2 to annoy the friendly invaders :)

Say what you want we stole your women.  :P :-DD

Thereby improving the stock in both countries  :box:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 12:13:29 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47082 on: January 15, 2020, 01:06:45 am »
What he found was once he was outside of New England he would get really puzzling looks whenever he said something had ‘shit the bed’ because no one had any idea what he was talking about.
I find that odd. Everybody understands 'shit', everybody understands 'bed' and at sometime in their early youth everybody has done it. The meaning seems quite innately clear and a little bit of context makes it crystal clear.

Or become "US" (unservicable), according to legend invented during WW2 to annoy the friendly invaders :)

Say what you want we stole your women.  :P :-DD

Thereby improving the stock in both countries  :box:

I can see we're still bitter that we threw all the tea in the harbor.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47083 on: January 15, 2020, 03:34:37 am »
Too bad we didn't throw all the scones & "biscuits" in after...  :-DD

mnem
 >:D

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47084 on: January 15, 2020, 03:45:52 am »
Yeah

and unchain that poor unicorn already, its, unseemly
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47085 on: January 15, 2020, 03:52:28 am »
Putting TEA in the Harbor is an act of Cruelty to the Fishes.

At least the early White Aussies did a little Mutiny against Bligh (yes that Bligh) and overthrew the Brits in charge partly to do with Rum  :popcorn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum_Rebellion
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #47086 on: January 15, 2020, 05:48:29 am »
Today my Fluke / Philips PM6681 arrived.
Nice!  Is it made in Järfälla, Sweden like the other Philips counters? The text on the label on the rear is barely readable in the pictures.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47087 on: January 15, 2020, 07:46:18 am »
This is a funny bodge, no idea if this was done by Fluke or the previous owner.

That bodge can only be from the previous owner. Fluke would never have a resistor that old at the time of manufacture.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #47088 on: January 15, 2020, 08:31:01 am »
the 6062 will go in inspection, RV3 is done.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh

Offline jadew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47089 on: January 15, 2020, 08:42:13 am »

Did you check date code/serial on the IEC filter to make sure no time-bombs inside?

mnem
*lessons hard-learnt*

Yep, definitely worth looking into that!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47090 on: January 15, 2020, 10:08:14 am »

Nope. We're just still amused that you didn't have the sense to empty the tea chests, keep the tea, throw the empty tea chests into the harbour and say they were full. No self-respecting cockney would have missed a trick like that.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47091 on: January 15, 2020, 10:17:14 am »
Yeah

and unchain that poor unicorn already, its, unseemly

It's a Scottish unicorn and they're a wee bit feisty. They're kept chained (rather like my old wee extremely feisty Scottish mate Lewis ought to be) for everybody's protection. You didn't think that horn was for mere decoration did you? Anything that comes from a cold nation where the men wear skirts with no underwear, that can live on porridge and gargles whiskey should be treated with the same respect one would accord to things like explosives and chainsaws.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47092 on: January 15, 2020, 10:36:00 am »
At least the early White Aussies did a little Mutiny against Bligh (yes that Bligh) and overthrew the Brits in charge partly to do with Rum  :popcorn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum_Rebellion

Early White Aussies? You mean Cockneys and Scousers. Have you ever been in an East End or Toxteth pub at closing time and seen what happens when someone tries to take a Cockney or Scouser's booze away? [ Where's the emoji for cowering behind an upturned table? ]  :)

But seriously, whoever thought it was a good idea to put Bligh in charge with his history and didn't expect it to blow up in everybody's faces? Nobody nowadays would put a pompous blundering fool who's messed up everything they've ever touched in charge of a country. Oh, hang on...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, WastelandTek

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47093 on: January 15, 2020, 10:46:58 am »

mnem
*lessons hard-learnt*

No, not yet. I will do this when I'm going to clean this unit. Yesterday evening was a little bit late when I took the photos. Upcoming weekend it is. :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47094 on: January 15, 2020, 10:57:25 am »

No NO, Putting TEA Coffee in the Harbor is an act of Cruelty to the Fishes.  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47095 on: January 15, 2020, 10:57:57 am »
This morning's tracking on the CA plug-in: "Package will arrive late". No shit you dumbasses.  :rant: You sent it to Springfield instead of Albany. Was supposed to arrive today.  :horse:

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47096 on: January 15, 2020, 11:00:11 am »
Today my Fluke / Philips PM6681 arrived.
Nice!  Is it made in Järfälla, Sweden like the other Philips counters? The text on the label on the rear is barely readable in the pictures.

To me it looks like "Made in Sweden"

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47097 on: January 15, 2020, 11:01:38 am »

Early White Aussies? You mean Cockneys and Scousers. Have you ever been in an East End or Toxteth pub at closing time and seen what happens when someone tries to take a Cockney or Scouser's booze away? [ Where's the emoji for cowering behind an upturned table? ]  :)

But seriously, whoever thought it was a good idea to put Bligh in charge with his history and didn't expect it to blow up in everybody's faces? Nobody nowadays would put a pompous blundering fool who's messed up everything they've ever touched in charge of a country. Oh, hang on...

The admiralty clearly got Bligh's long term behavior correct 3 or 4 Court Martial's then promoted Rear Admiral a few times along with a couple of Mutiny's along the way :o

All of my relatives bar one arrived here about 40 years later and only one had a get on a boat or else 'request' and were Scots or Irish so it is in the Blood to war over Booze  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47098 on: January 15, 2020, 11:03:27 am »

No NO, Putting TEA Coffee in the Harbor is an act of Cruelty to the Fishes.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Tea infuses better at lower Temps than whole beans, the Tannins will kill you dead hot or cold ;)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47099 on: January 15, 2020, 11:05:58 am »

Nope. We're just still amused that you didn't have the sense to empty the tea chests, keep the tea, throw the empty tea chests into the harbour and say they were full. No self-respecting cockney would have missed a trick like that.

Now what makes you think we WANTED the tea?  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf