Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551895 times)

marcumr, ProtonFox, fcb, shakalnokturn and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #47700 on: January 23, 2020, 10:24:59 am »
Report: 250 million Microsoft customer service and support records exposed on the web

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/information-security/microsoft-customer-service-data-leak/

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47701 on: January 23, 2020, 11:09:44 am »
Ahh default elasticsearch permissions strike again!

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #47702 on: January 23, 2020, 11:55:15 am »
something abot cloudworx.

When your job is done you write to your client the pay.

dear Sir/Mam,
we have to get for this order:

50$ Material
30$ work time: construction
5$  cloud points
25$ ro build that
5$ for the outgoing test of accuracy
10$ for delivery
----------------------------------------
125$ please

answer: 
we have not ordered "cloud points" , also there was no cloudpoints in your delivery.
-5$
greetings.

or in the german "Datenschutz"  :-DD

You do a order for the military industry where it`s strongest forbidden to give any part of the construction to any other company or person. Put it in the cloud to see what can be comming. Otherwise: you can`t use your CAD for that order, do it by hand with pen + paper.

I am afraid to use that in the future. It`s much better to have a offline CAD what do the job self.
The PC must be enhanced to get enough speed, that`s all.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #47703 on: January 23, 2020, 12:18:42 pm »
Ding-a-ling, winner!

https://www.tme.eu/be/en/details/cl-12s1p-vreaa700/rechargeable-batteries/cellevia-batteries/

tggzzz, wouldn't be too hard to remove a battery from the pack, if it's even needed, for yours..

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #47704 on: January 23, 2020, 12:28:25 pm »
Ding-a-ling, winner!

https://www.tme.eu/be/en/details/cl-12s1p-vreaa700/rechargeable-batteries/cellevia-batteries/

tggzzz, wouldn't be too hard to remove a battery from the pack, if it's even needed, for yours..

Thanks!

Until recently I would have regarded it as relatively difficult to "remove" a cell. The heat/temperature necessary to make a new wire connection might damage the seals on a cell.

Now, however, my local hackspace has a Sunkko 709a Spot Welder designed to spot weld tabs to cells :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47705 on: January 23, 2020, 01:11:08 pm »
[...]
Edit: We also have to consider that at the end of the day very little of what we produce has any significance or value past our own little bubble so when we're all gone, it doesn't matter. We're insignificant as is our data.

Even taking that fatalistic view, we still live for a LOOONG time and I would rather not pay someone else over the odds, year in and year out, for the fact of my digital existence!

E.g. 50 years of paying $10 a month (plus interest) adds up to a tidy sum...   

He who understands interest, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it!  --Einstein
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:13:46 pm by SilverSolder »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47706 on: January 23, 2020, 01:31:39 pm »
I seem to have accidentally stumbled on some kind of weird fetish site...  :-DD

yeah.....it sure took a weird turn.  might have been worse.

(a photoshop war could have broken out)
free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47707 on: January 23, 2020, 01:44:01 pm »

Careful, or our resident dwagon might just singe your arse at best or at worst, roast it  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47708 on: January 23, 2020, 01:46:36 pm »

Careful, or our resident dwagon might just singe your arse at best or at worst, roast it  >:D

ahh come on......don't tell me you don't want to see what the dragon looks like with hair (tek blue?)......and wearing a skirt (or a kilt maybe?)
free range primate

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47709 on: January 23, 2020, 01:47:53 pm »
Ding-a-ling, winner!

Thanks!

Until recently I would have regarded it as relatively difficult to "remove" a cell. The heat/temperature necessary to make a new wire connection might damage the seals on a cell.

Now, however, my local hackspace has a Sunkko 709a Spot Welder designed to spot weld tabs to cells :)

I have soldered to hundreds of NiMH cells and never had a problem.

surface prep, large iron, low dwell time, easy peasy.

Lithium...that is another matter...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:50:20 pm by WastelandTek »
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #47710 on: January 23, 2020, 02:02:14 pm »
A Rough Morning in the Kitchen:

Sausage & Eggs turned out awesome as usual...

But there WERE casualties. Short version: 3 minutes under the broiler to crisp up the cherry turnovers should've been 2 minutes. They caught on FIRE.   :palm:

mnem
Of course, you KNOW I'm gonna peel the top layer off and see if there's anything edible underneath.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47711 on: January 23, 2020, 02:13:44 pm »
Aw come on, some people pay a fortune for charcoal biscuits, besides charcoal is a good antitoxin for you, be a man and eat them as they are, they may dampen your fire though :-DD  >:D

Edit, that coffee looks more like a cup of porridge
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:17:13 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47712 on: January 23, 2020, 02:24:56 pm »
Ding-a-ling, winner! https://www.tme.eu/be/en/details/cl-12s1p-vreaa700/rechargeable-batteries/cellevia-batteries/ tggzzz, wouldn't be too hard to remove a battery from the pack, if it's even needed, for yours..
Thanks! Until recently I would have regarded it as relatively difficult to "remove" a cell. The heat/temperature necessary to make a new wire connection might damage the seals on a cell. Now, however, my local hackspace has a Sunkko 709a Spot Welder designed to spot weld tabs to cells :)

Just cut the shunt between the cells in the middle; this gives you a solder tab on each cell. No problem. :-//

I used to build drag racing packs with soldered copper shunts all the time; the trick is to use a huge (150-200W) iron and work fast. A Zep sprayer full of water helps cool things down quick if you have a problem. Measuring IR of the cells before & after showed ZERO damage, and I was drawing enough current to dump 24-48V 800mAH 1/2 Sub-C packs in about 20 seconds. ;)

mnem
*sparky*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #47713 on: January 23, 2020, 02:42:57 pm »
Is anyone surprised that a dragon accidentally used too much fire?

Latest piece of boat anchorage arrived yesterday, an electrophoresis power supply. Something you'd normally find in a biology lab, but it could be useful, as it has a DC output of up to 2.5kV, and has CV, CC, and CP modes, also a timer.
Sadly it arrived damaged, despite being packed for the apocalypse by a reliable supplier. They made the mistake of packing a 3 pin UK plug IEC lead with it; the earth pin broke through the plastic shield over one of the HV T03 transistors mounted on a rear heatsink, even dented the T03 can. It broke the earth pin off the plugtop, and wedged the plastic pin cover in the heatsink fins.   :palm:

Now I need to take it apart somewhat in order to see if it's safe to power up, would be annoying to switch it on only to hear a BANG as the shorted transistor tries to mug the transformer or diode bridge...

This is on top of the existing damage; the timer alarm toggle is broken off the switch (?PDT), the knobs have broken off the timer adjustment, those might be multiturn units, as the V/I/P pots all are.   >:(

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47714 on: January 23, 2020, 02:56:21 pm »
Aw come on, some people pay a fortune for charcoal biscuits, besides charcoal is a good antitoxin for you, be a man and eat them as they are, they may dampen your fire though :-DD  >:D

Too late...  :-// They're. *crunch-munch* Just. *chew... chew... gulp* Fine. *cringe*  :o Love my cheap Chinese ceramic paring knives tho... they made short work of the trimming. :-+

Not quite that thick... it won't do THIS. :-DD

mnem
*twitch... twitch... twitcha-twitch...*
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:58:56 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47715 on: January 23, 2020, 03:13:32 pm »

Too late...  :-// They're. *crunch-munch* Just. *chew... chew... gulp* Fine. *cringe*  :o Love my cheap Chinese ceramic paring knives tho... they made short work of the trimming. :-+

mnem
*twitch... twitch... twitcha-twitch...*
Yeah, Mrs Specmaster loves those ceramic knives as well, we have a selection now.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47716 on: January 23, 2020, 03:19:27 pm »
Speaking of "make money fast" (in respect to this Heathkit device bd139 mentioned some ten postings before), today:

The Sensirion Smart gadget SHT31

Found this on ebay for around 72 Euros  :palm:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142903044878

If you are order the same smart gadget at Mouser, it comes up with around 20 Euros:
https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Sensirion/SHT31-SMART-GADGET?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv3em63uDEI%2FAsEzA51Ir3hGr%252BiMZFs2rQ%3D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: FransW

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47717 on: January 23, 2020, 03:19:38 pm »
@mnem, here's a nice bench seat for you:   

*sigh* That guy (well, the same guy in the next town over from where I grew up) is why I quit chainsaw art. I have the skillz... but not the vision. Unless it's painfully obvious, I can't "see" the "creature trapped inside the chunk of wood"; that bench is EXACTLY the thing I once dreamt of making... :palm:

Gorgeous stuff... I actually like the other one shown in that article better; a proper Welsh Red. ;) Thanks for bringing them to my attention.  :-+

mnem
*Toddles off to Do something, even if it's wrong...*
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 03:28:04 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, AVGresponding

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47718 on: January 23, 2020, 03:33:33 pm »
Ding-a-ling, winner!

Thanks!

I have soldered to hundreds of NiMH cells and never had a problem.

surface prep, large iron, low dwell time, easy peasy.

Lithium...that is another matter...

But a "sufficiently" large iron isn't available (except for soldering to tags, which is easy). Spot welding should be far more predictably adequate.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47719 on: January 23, 2020, 03:43:57 pm »
[...]
But a "sufficiently" large iron isn't available (except for soldering to tags, which is easy). Spot welding should be far more predictably adequate.

I have an old school Weller 100/140W soldering gun for those occasions.  It can literally make the tip glow if you're not careful about modulating the juice.  Perfect for those really stubborn soldering jobs!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47720 on: January 23, 2020, 04:07:36 pm »
More issues with 535A. Actually the CA plug-in this time. I guess this should be expected from equipment almost 60 years old. I figure it's going to take multiple burn-ins to shake out all the weak stuff.

Anyway, Channel B of the CA plug-in developed "hash" on the trace. So I started swapping out the Channel B only tubes from the spare CA plug-in as a quick fix. Found the issue. V4323, 6AK5 Pentode. It's the very first pre-amp tube after the attenuators. That means unfortunately I have to perform the DC Balance and attenuator adjustments all over again. Oh well, such is life when you have boat anchors.

Here's the offending tube.

And it's location in the CA plug-in.

And some interesting facts about this tube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6AK5

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47721 on: January 23, 2020, 04:17:35 pm »
Here's the offending tube.

And it's location in the CA plug-in.

And some interesting facts about this tube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6AK5

A few days ago I have bought a bunch of these nice 6AK5 / EF95 tubes (needed for my little Theremin project).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/331639133156

They are the 6AK5W / E95F type which means long life.
If you want one or two, let me know. :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47722 on: January 23, 2020, 04:24:09 pm »
Thanks for the offer. This is why I'm glad I have spare. Both 6AK5's in the spare are OK.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47723 on: January 23, 2020, 04:33:53 pm »
[...]

I have an old school Weller 100/140W soldering gun for those occasions.  It can literally make the tip glow if you're not careful about modulating the juice.  Perfect for those really stubborn soldering jobs!

There's a very small chance I might be able to find my original soldering iron when I finally get around to cleaning out my father's workroom. Its tip glowed if you held it in the gas too long :)

Yup, this part of the past was straw coloured, which is halfway to being golden.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 04:35:36 pm by tggzzz »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, AVGresponding

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47724 on: January 23, 2020, 04:34:52 pm »
I still have an Acer laptop running XPpro with 2GB of ram that still puts in a reasonable performance on software of the day (obviously). It would just about run AutoCad 16 on it if you had the patience for the screen updates that is.

AutoCAD. I remember using that on an AT&T 6300 (8086 CPU with monochrome CGA CRT monitor) running DOS 2.1. Ah, the good ol' days. :popcorn:

[Sorry for once again resurrecting an age old posting]

I did the layout for a board (diploma) on a PC/AT@6MHz with a color "high resolution" graphics card (1024x768 IIRC) - with AutoCAD and a graphics tablet. The latter was really cute, as the absolute positioning allowed to put most needed commands on it, too.
The downside (not of the tablet) was that operations like zoom or pan needed 15 minutes or more. I tell no lies! 'Slow' doesn't even come near!
And plotting took hours, which means that the ink at the pen tips routinely dried before drawing the next few lines. Had to patch that drawing heavily by hand ...

That much for "good ol' days" (More :popcorn:)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf