Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14556499 times)

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #47875 on: January 26, 2020, 12:48:44 am »

[1]: http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Tektronix

Instead of asking someone's age, we could ask instead: "What's your Tek generation?"

My Tek generation is

Yep! Getting old I guess... more blue than usual... but all my plug-ins still working... thank you very much.

OK, ok, so mine should be something else (I'm not telling  >:D >:D >:D), but I like that one the best, so I'm using it anyway.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #47876 on: January 26, 2020, 12:51:11 am »
BU508A, worsthorse and I are in the TEA Time channel. We were talking a bit about the http://www.roehrentest.de/ vacuum tube tester that he's building.

Was sleeping seems some of the Fknuckle truckies brought along some big bore illegal fireworks for 2am testing |O Small town Mr Plod would have been tucked up in bed too so no fines or kick in the ass  :horse:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47877 on: January 26, 2020, 01:02:31 am »
BU508A, worsthorse and I are in the TEA Time channel. We were talking a bit about the http://www.roehrentest.de/ vacuum tube tester that he's building.

Was sleeping seems some of the Fknuckle truckies brought along some big bore illegal fireworks for 2am testing |O Small town Mr Plod would have been tucked up in bed too so no fines or kick in the ass  :horse:

So you don't have a police force on duty 24/7?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47878 on: January 26, 2020, 01:06:22 am »
20km away we do. The town is only just over 1k humans surrounded by 10k Cows and several million Potatoes  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47879 on: January 26, 2020, 01:17:03 am »
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Mortymore

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47880 on: January 26, 2020, 01:19:07 am »
20km away we do. The town is only just over 1k humans surrounded by 10k Cows and several million Potatoes  ;)

Excluding incorporated cities and villages some townships have a 24/7 force, some have part time, and some have none. But 2nd level coverage is provided by the County Sheriff and 3rd level by the State Police. Granted, the deputies and state police could be some distance away for a call in a township with no local coverage but the response is usually pretty quick.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47881 on: January 26, 2020, 02:07:56 am »
We have a bit less of a Drug and Gun Death issue than parts of the USA so after Pub Closing time plus an hour generally very quiet even on a Saturday.

First go at a Laser Cut 6mm MDF template. Bit thick for my little 40W one but got it done. Disturbing the Peace in the Sunshine on a Sunday now  >:D Drill base is well under way.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #47882 on: January 26, 2020, 02:20:37 am »
On the Bench Tonight:

Intel DX58S0 Gaming MB, BFG Tech GEFORCE GTX260 OC GPU, ENERMAX EG-701AX 600W PFC PSU

Now here's the thing: I have literally US$19 tied up in ALL of this... I know where I can buy a compatible Xeon W3670 processor for US$28... and I STILL can't find a really compelling reason to BUILD it. I bought the MB because of nostalgia; remembering when Intel actually made MBs... I wanted one of these back in the day but build cost was just astronomical. Thing is... even today the RAM is painful; 3 x 4GB DDR3-1600 (Yes, TRIPLE-CHANNEL memory architecture) to max it out is ~$60 and even if I recycle an old spinning rust drive, I'll be in it for over $100 before I scrounge up a box to put it in and a Windows product key.

And yet... part of me still wants to at least spend the $28 on the processor so I can borrow the RAM out of the HP and see it all lit up. I was always curious about the triple-channel memory gimmick; but most of me is saying "Put the crazy skull medallion (which is most of the nostalgia part of the thing) in your pocket and save your money for something of actual value..."

mnem
 |O

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 02:22:11 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47883 on: January 26, 2020, 02:22:51 am »

Here's some more bangs for you, reminds me of bd139  :-DD

On a more serious note however, it does highlight the need to treat capacitors with a certain amount of respect.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47884 on: January 26, 2020, 02:29:56 am »
On the Bench Tonight:

Intel DX58S0 Gaming MB, BFG Tech GEFORCE GTX260 OC GPU, ENERMAX EG-701AX 600W PFC PSU

Now here's the thing: I have literally US$19 tied up in ALL of this... I know where I can buy a compatible Xeon W3670 processor for US$28... and I STILL can't find a really compelling reason to BUILD it. I bought the MB because of nostalgia; remembering when Intel actually made MBs... I wanted one of these back in the day but build cost was just astronomical. Thing is... even today the RAM is painful; 3 x 4GB DDR3-1600 (Yes, TRIPLE-CHANNEL memory architecture) to max it out is ~$60 and even if I recycle an old spinning rust drive, I'll be in it for over $100 before I scrounge up a box to put it in and a Windows product key.

And yet... part of me still wants to at least spend the $28 on the processor so I can borrow the RAM out of the HP and see it all lit up. I was always curious about the triple-channel memory gimmick; but most of me is saying "Put the crazy skull medallion (which is most of the nostalgia part of the thing) in your pocket and save your money for something of actual value..."

mnem
 |O

Keep it in your pocket, there's a reason it didn't catch on, probably because it was not very reliable or it sucked otherwise it would still be around today.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47885 on: January 26, 2020, 02:43:48 am »

Keep it in your pocket, there's a reason it didn't catch on, probably because it was not very reliable or it sucked otherwise it would still be around today.

didn't catch on?  really?

I am sorry sir, but I must take issue.  LGA 1366 / X58 is one of the longest lived enthusiast platforms ever.  Still quite capable today, 10 years on.

I will admit that the triple channel RAM setup is a bit of an oddity as a stepping stone to quad channel architecture, but an overclocked X58 setup is nothing to sniff at to this day.

Lots of guys plopping cheap surplus hexcore Bloomfield chips in and clocking the bejeesus out of them  https://hardforum.com/threads/1366-x58-xeon-enthusiast-overclocks-club.1820772/

My main battlestation here is still a watercooled i7 970 @ 4.1GHz 48GB DDR3 in triple channel booting off a Samsung NVMe.  First built it 11 years ago...no complaints.

Oh, and one more benefit, the last platform without UEFI, so they can never prevent me from running linux on it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 03:09:11 am by WastelandTek »
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47886 on: January 26, 2020, 03:22:57 am »
So... even though I felt like death warmed over, we went to see the last Star Wars movie today, because I bought the tickets last week... and all I can say is:

Fuck everything except the first trilogy. And maybe Clone Wars, Solo & Rogue One.  :P

mnem
Disney turns everything it touches into shit.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 03:25:33 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47887 on: January 26, 2020, 03:29:46 am »
but but BUT Jar Jar was awesome ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, grizewald

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47888 on: January 26, 2020, 03:42:21 am »
When he wasn't around, sure.  :-DD  Like beating your knee with a monkey wrench cuz it feels so good when you stop...  :o

Oh, and that pic is much funnier than he ever was.  :P

mnem
"..You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone; they paved Paradise & put up a parking lot..."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 03:44:34 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47889 on: January 26, 2020, 05:12:31 am »

didn't catch on?  really?

I am sorry sir, but I must take issue.  LGA 1366 / X58 is one of the longest lived enthusiast platforms ever.  Still quite capable today, 10 years on.

I will admit that the triple channel RAM setup is a bit of an oddity as a stepping stone to quad channel architecture, but an overclocked X58 setup is nothing to sniff at to this day.

Lots of guys plopping cheap surplus hexcore Bloomfield chips in and clocking the bejeesus out of them  https://hardforum.com/threads/1366-x58-xeon-enthusiast-overclocks-club.1820772/

My main battlestation here is still a watercooled i7 970 @ 4.1GHz 48GB DDR3 in triple channel booting off a Samsung NVMe.  First built it 11 years ago...no complaints.

Oh, and one more benefit, the last platform without UEFI, so they can never prevent me from running linux on it.

LOL... It's a great *NIX box. Fine... you sold me. I just bought one of these: eBay auction: #133019748229 We'll see what happens in 4-5 weeks.  ;)

OTOH... HOLY FUCKING ASSCRACKERS!!! I am in the WRONG line of work... Somebody just paid US$315 for one of these NOS/NIB: eBay auction: #233362184104

This is the exact board I have; box, chipset cooler in unused condition, SATA cable and all.  :palm:

mnem
*masochist*
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 05:18:06 am by mnementh »

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47890 on: January 26, 2020, 05:22:10 am »
yeah

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xasus+rampage+3+extreme.TRS0&_nkw=asus+rampage+3+extreme&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=x58+rampage+3+extreme&sc=0&LH_TitleDe=

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.XEVGA+x58+Classified.TRS0&_nkw=EVGA+x58+Classified&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=EVGA+141-GT-E770-A1+Classified3

there is a reason this stuff still gets these prices

W3670 has a locked multiplier, you might do some reading before you spend money, the X5660-X5670 were the sweet spot for price/performance in the surplus market if I remember correctly, its all in that forum link...91 pages to wade through though.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 05:39:40 am by WastelandTek »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47891 on: January 26, 2020, 05:44:06 am »
Aaand Possums. LOTS of Possums.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47892 on: January 26, 2020, 05:55:55 am »
And a handful of Drop bears, death spiders, snakes ..... No Police really needed step out of line in the night and your Dead  ;)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47893 on: January 26, 2020, 06:11:23 am »
Sometime later with Coffees and power tools and another Gin and Tonic Fueled Cad session. The Holes in the baseplate are done so the flange in now on the printer after a dimension check. Drill table and fence designed and rendered just because it looks pretty  ;)

400RPM (minimum speed) 4" hole down to 17.6mm depth smack on and no fuss for the Bosch. The formerly virginal TCT holesaw helped I am sure.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #47894 on: January 26, 2020, 08:02:45 am »
Wood is an amazing material.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #47895 on: January 26, 2020, 08:11:09 am »
Zucca, not sure if it will be helpful, but the nozzles that fit my old Yihua 858D also fit the Quick 957DW.  They have the same screw/nut to tighten it to the nozzle.

So are the Yihua 858D nozzles ca. 24mm diameter?
Thanks Grey, if you have 5 minutes can you post a pic in the next days? I fully believe you I am curious to see how it looks like at the end...

Many Thanks in advance from cold Germany.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 08:15:18 am by Zucca »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #47896 on: January 26, 2020, 08:39:26 am »
USD ?
NZ cross rate to US$ is currently ~66c which converts to ~NZ$45.

us$ or €, yes  ^-^
Asked a question about the weight. Not heard back yet.  :popcorn:
~4.5 kg
Will check on some freight costs for you Martin.
It went for NZD60.67 !  :o
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2497592780
I stopped @ NZD45 ~USD30.

Our Trademe doesn't close at a particular time if bidders are still active and it extends another 2 minutes when another bid is made so the only successful sniping is when a listing closes at some ungodly hour when there's no other silly buggers awake.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #47897 on: January 26, 2020, 08:48:37 am »
Battery replacement  |O

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #47898 on: January 26, 2020, 08:52:04 am »
Battery replacement  |O

For some reasons I read: "Replace battery everyday with..."

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #47899 on: January 26, 2020, 09:02:04 am »
2x 9V Block Lithium for smoke detectors, can be a solution.
The little instrument have Opt.1 = PSU so the battery is only for on the road.
Testing R is also possible without battery inside.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:03:58 am by Martin.M »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf