Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14786269 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #48100 on: January 28, 2020, 02:22:05 pm »
I guess I'm going to have to improve my German skills as ebay.co.uk will be largely useless to me in just a few days.

My understanding is the problems may can be expected to arise at the end of the year, not month.

My problem is that as soon as the UK leaves the EU, anything posted to me here in Sweden will disappear into Postnord's ransom system. If the item's value is <= 1700 SEK, the handling charges are 75 SEK plus VAT at 25%. For anything > 1700 SEK, handling charges are 125 SEK + 25% VAT + import duty. The entire import process adds a delay of 3 - 4 weeks in delivery. There is also no lower limit, so if I buy (for example) two end caps for the knobs on my PL320 for £5, they would still be subject to 25% VAT and the 75 SEK handling charge. The expression "daylight robbery" comes to mind.

This will make small value items uneconomical to order from the UK, and I'm sure will seriously hurt many UK based eBay sellers. Who wants customs problems when the same items may be available in the EU?

The vast majority of us Brits think that the entire Brexit thing is a stupid mistake but thanks to our stupid electoral system of first post the post, we lost. Ironically though it was your proportional representation system that provided Nigel Farage the platform he needed to get the whole stupid movement started many years ago. Perhaps one day we will rejoin.

Perhaps one day many of those who voted for it might admit they were wrong when things like the postal system, visas, insurance costs and driving while on holidays etc hit them hard, things that they had all taken for granted over the years. As you have indeed pointed out, works both ways so hits you just as hard as it does us in so many ways  :palm: :'(
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48101 on: January 28, 2020, 02:26:21 pm »

My problem is that as soon as the UK leaves the EU, anything posted to me here in Sweden will disappear into Postnord's ransom system. If the item's value is <= 1700 SEK, the handling charges are 75 SEK plus VAT at 25%. For anything > 1700 SEK, handling charges are 125 SEK + 25% VAT + import duty. The entire import process adds a delay of 3 - 4 weeks in delivery. There is also no lower limit, so if I buy (for example) two end caps for the knobs on my PL320 for £5, they would still be subject to 25% VAT and the 75 SEK handling charge. The expression "daylight robbery" comes to mind.

This will make small value items uneconomical to order from the UK, and I'm sure will seriously hurt many UK based eBay sellers. Who wants customs problems when the same items may be available in the EU?

sounds to me like y'all have entirely too much government
Yep and all of our Brexiters will be saying that is all down to the EU, the muppets  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48102 on: January 28, 2020, 02:32:21 pm »
To be honest, all this childish Brexit nonsense makes me embarrassed to admit that I'm a Brit.
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48103 on: January 28, 2020, 02:44:17 pm »
Indeed. This is why I'm an Earthian. People haven't worked out that national identity is stupid in the sheer scale of things. But you know you need someone to hate to be able to be controlled by people who want to control you.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48104 on: January 28, 2020, 03:10:35 pm »

So if you are going to go through the import process, might as well import straight from China, USA, etc.?   Who would have thunk it.

...and the wonderfully competitive and self-sufficient UK businesses will do just fine compared -- on equal terms -- with China. Or we'll all buy our stuff from Germany instead and do away with the tariffs.  Smart move, Boris.

Boris is just the last one in a long line of stupidness. It all started with Margaret T. and when it came to David C. it peaked in his stupid Brexit vote.
I know, that I'm really shortening things, but looking from the outsinde, that's my impression.

I'm really sad, that .uk is leaving the EU. I believe in collaboration and knowing each other. Peace is much better than fighting each other.

Just my two cents. (Don't want to start a political discussion - perhaps something for a Discord session? Discussing the consequences on both side for getting electronics stuff.)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #48105 on: January 28, 2020, 03:19:39 pm »
While I agree with most of the recent brexit comments, let's keep this conversation away from politics.

I think discussing real/imagined effects (cf causes) and how to work around them is on topic.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48106 on: January 28, 2020, 03:31:44 pm »
Let me see if I understand this.

If one of you in the UK saw something you wanted over here. I buy it, have it shipped to me, then shipped to you. Is that still subject to import duty, or VAT, or whatever?  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48107 on: January 28, 2020, 03:35:43 pm »

If one of you in the UK saw something you wanted over here. I buy it, have it shipped to me, then shipped to you. Is that still subject to import duty, or VAT, or whatever?  :-//

Yep.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48108 on: January 28, 2020, 03:39:38 pm »

Yep.

Well that sucks.  :o I've bought stuff from QService in Greece. Bd sent me a meter for the Heath VTVM. Kosmic sent me a Heath scope from Canada. Other than US Customs being a bunch of slow pokes never any indication of import duty or any other crap.   :palm:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48109 on: January 28, 2020, 03:42:57 pm »

Yes, irrespective of the UK's EU membership/non-membership (for the time being).

Anything coming into the UK from non-EU states is subject to VAT @ 20% and customs duty @ <whatever the customs duty is for that category of goods>. If the value of the goods (excluding postage) is less than or equal to £15 the VAT and duty are waived, there are also exclusions for genuine gifts below a value of £39. Tobacco, alcohol and fragrances are always taxed, there are no value based waivers for those.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:50:23 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48110 on: January 28, 2020, 03:43:50 pm »

Yep.

Well that sucks.  :o I've bought stuff from QService in Greece. Bd sent me a meter for the Heath VTVM. Kosmic sent me a Heath scope from Canada. Other than US Customs being a bunch of slow pokes never any indication of import duty or any other crap.   :palm:

It may be a little better in the UK, but here in Sweden, you only get to skip import charges if the item is a gift from another private person and the value is less than 1700 SEK.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48111 on: January 28, 2020, 03:46:03 pm »

Yes, afraid so, maybe if we get a UK/USA trade deal that will change?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48112 on: January 28, 2020, 03:50:40 pm »
Wow, that's called "Bend over because here it comes and you are gonna like it"  :o :palm:

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #48113 on: January 28, 2020, 04:03:15 pm »
Wow, that's called "Bend over because here it comes and you are gonna like it"  :o :palm:

Not really. The reasoning is simple and fair. Imagine a good with an intrinsic value of 100$. In the EU, before you can buy it, VAT is applied so it costs 120$ or so to the customer. Now, if you can just buy it outside the EU without VAT, that means that any local bussiness has a 20% disadvantage over foreign competitors. So, the VAT is applied to imports, just like it is on local transactions.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48114 on: January 28, 2020, 04:05:25 pm »
What price would you guys think was reasonable for an HP 34401A which won't start up?
  Lord of Sealand

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48115 on: January 28, 2020, 04:24:41 pm »
What price would you guys think was reasonable for an HP 34401A which won't start up?

Depends. Something between 50 to 150 Euros, I think.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48116 on: January 28, 2020, 04:29:22 pm »

Sounds about right. Thanks.

Unfortunately, the early bidders have already pushed the price up, so we'll see if I mange to snipe it in a few hours...

I really don't understand "early bidders". What do they expect will happen when they put in a low bid a whole week before the auction ends??
  Lord of Sealand

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48117 on: January 28, 2020, 04:44:15 pm »

Unfortunately, the early bidders have already pushed the price up, so we'll see if I mange to snipe it in a few hours...

I really don't understand "early bidders". What do they expect will happen when they put in a low bid a whole week before the auction ends??

I can think of two reasons:

- if there is a bid on an item, the seller cannot easily cancel the auction
- the hope, that nobody else will spot it and therefore getting a bargain.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48118 on: January 28, 2020, 05:24:56 pm »

No start is often the best fault to have.
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48119 on: January 28, 2020, 05:45:22 pm »

I can think of two reasons:

- if there is a bid on an item, the seller cannot easily cancel the auction
- the hope, that nobody else will spot it and therefore getting a bargain.
A third reason can be to stop a BIN or offer price from ending the sale, this cannot happen if a bid has been placed.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48120 on: January 28, 2020, 06:13:32 pm »

Example for NOT a reasonable price (no idea what this seller has consumed ... )  :scared:  :-//

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183349160338

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #48121 on: January 28, 2020, 06:29:12 pm »
To be honest, all this childish Brexit nonsense makes me embarrassed to admit that I'm a Brit.
Indeed. This is why I'm an Earthican. People haven't worked out that national identity is stupid in the sheer scale of things. But you know you need someone to hate to be able to be controlled by people who want to control you.

Here's the candidate for you, bd...  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48122 on: January 28, 2020, 06:29:57 pm »
Example for NOT a reasonable price (no idea what this seller has consumed ... )  :scared:  :-//

Compared to the $777 shipping the item price is not that bad.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48123 on: January 28, 2020, 06:38:55 pm »
Geez, just submitted an order for just the tantalums for the 485 plus a few more electrolytics for the 535A and it STILL came to $60 USD with shipping.

47uf/25V tants....cheapest price is $3.06/ea. Needed 9.  :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #48124 on: January 28, 2020, 06:43:09 pm »

Compared to the $777 shipping the item price is not that bad.

Oh, FFS... I figured everybody knew this by now. All those fucking batshit crazy listings are nothing more than money laundering and drug lords doing business.  :palm:

mnem
 :horse:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 07:00:50 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf