Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14821008 times)

marcumr, RolandK, Edison and 205 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #49800 on: February 15, 2020, 05:30:23 pm »

[...] people would buy "green lipped mussel pills", with zero indication of what that would achieve [...]

Hope springs eternal...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49801 on: February 15, 2020, 06:04:06 pm »
That song was literally the soundtrack of my life as a rowdy teenager growing up half in the hills of upstate NY and half in the streets of Pittsburgh. ;)

Also why I gave up beer. It gave me headaches & made me a asshole drunk; started fights, more often than not got the shit kicked outta me and/or wound up in the drunk tank looking like something out of Mad Max. :palm:

mnem
Actually, the whole damned album...

The best song I know that describes my youth is from the Arctic Monkeys "Riot Van". It perfectly describes a standard weekend night in inner city Dublin (or many  northern UK cties) at the time. Additionally, their song "Mardy Bum" describes my life since then :(

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #49802 on: February 15, 2020, 06:10:28 pm »
Huh... TIL about green-lipped mussel homeopathy: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-830/new-zealand-green-lipped-mussel

Appears to be mostly some small amount of Omega3 and a whole lot of wank. :o

The remarkable thing was that there was no wank - there were no claims whatsoever! More or less a blank label. Sigh.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49803 on: February 15, 2020, 06:41:12 pm »
I prefer the hard copy manuals myself. I’ve had too many bad scans over the years to trust that as the only source of info. Usually you only find out it’s a bad scan right in the middle of a problem solving session.

We have mauritron here who are the equivalent and some of their scans are just the worst.

yeah

I just think better on paper...I guess I am a product of a bygone age...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 07:01:24 pm by WastelandTek »
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49804 on: February 15, 2020, 06:57:29 pm »
I’m not that old  :-DD

Soooo did some cupboard clean out. Found 11 Meanwell switching power supplies ranging 5 to 24 volts in various sizes  :-DD. I have way too much shite

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #49805 on: February 15, 2020, 07:03:54 pm »
Huh... TIL about green-lipped mussel homeopathy: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-830/new-zealand-green-lipped-mussel

Appears to be mostly some small amount of Omega3 and a whole lot of wank. :o

mnem
But wait; it also comes in a powder! Now how much would you pay...?
Grampa swore by them for his arthritis however today we have a wider range of pain hiding drugs.  :popcorn:
Well at least with the mussels you're not stoned or pissed all the time.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49806 on: February 15, 2020, 07:26:04 pm »
So....are any of you Brits gonna show up today at 2100 hrs UTC or just continue to huff and puff and piss and moan?  :popcorn: :-DD
I won't be there, I've never anything like it before  but right now we have our very own bit of huff and puff with storm Dennis lashing anything and everything in sight, but never say never, I might be there one day, I have a microphone somewhere. When you all get to hear my Essex voice, you might regret it because I bet you'll have trouble understanding me  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49807 on: February 15, 2020, 07:27:24 pm »
Innit fam.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #49808 on: February 15, 2020, 07:29:22 pm »
I just noticed this up top...

Some people might use this number to assert that we either (a) have too much time on our hands or (b) need to get out more.   ;D

Yeah, I saw that too. Fortunately, that metric doesn't just include us. There's quite a following of lurkers, too. 8)

TEA is now the #2 thread by view count. :o
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49809 on: February 15, 2020, 07:29:53 pm »
So....are any of you Brits gonna show up today at 2100 hrs UTC or just continue to huff and puff and piss and moan?  :popcorn: :-DD
I won't be there, I've never anything like it before  but right now we have our very own bit of huff and puff with storm Dennis lashing anything and everything in sight, but never say never, I might be there one day, I have a microphone somewhere. When you all get to hear my Essex voice, you might regret it because I bet you'll have trouble understanding me  :-DD :-DD
I still ain't got a mic but will be there ! Piker !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49810 on: February 15, 2020, 07:34:38 pm »
My Thurlby Capacitance meter arrived this evening, brought from a seller on eBay as "for parts or not working" and I won it for the opening bid of just £15 so, I was expecting to have to do some repair work on it which was a bit of a worry as both owners and service manuals for it seem to even rarer than hens teeth. :scared:

Boy oh boy, it was spotless inside and looked totally mint in every way. It can even be battery operated, 6 C cells. Connected it up my bench supply and switched ON, it promptly sprung to life, so yet another TEA acquisition which needed nothing more than a careful exterior clean up, bugger.

Added to POI. :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49811 on: February 15, 2020, 07:41:26 pm »

I dunno; I think y'all have raised getting pissed in the street to an art form. And it appears others have noticed as well.  ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

That's just New Years or Saturday night drunkenness.

That song was I believe written after has stay in New York and was a reflection of his own experiences of New York, as I'm sure the Lady Cop will tell that the Big Apple is famous for its fight nights.  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49812 on: February 15, 2020, 07:45:56 pm »
Yes, but to do that you'd have to go to Swindon. I generally only go to Swindon if people pay me to go and only if they pay me handsomely at that. The idea of going there at my own expense and then paying more once I'm there seems alien:)

Oh Swindon has redeeming features, e.g. the magic roundabout which actually works well

and the museum of computing (naturally that is lower brow than TNMoC) :) ).

OTOH, there's Slough (which should be pronounced to rhyme with "pig trough")...

Moreover, my route would take me within smelling distance of Slough.  :(
Yes there's a few of them around now, there's one in Hemel Hempstead and there used to be another in South Benfleet, it has just been removed by an improved road layout.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #49813 on: February 15, 2020, 08:03:11 pm »
I was waiting for that  :-DD

Arguably it’s the 4xx I’m done with (apart from the 4x3). So no more 465/475 derivatives.

denial takes so many subtle forms.   :-DD   :-DD   >:D
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49814 on: February 15, 2020, 08:08:09 pm »
Quick actual test gear picture. As the 1740A is out of action again (stopped sweeping) I figure I’d steal the knob caps off it for my 6236b which is working nicely and hurts me more to see uncapped  :-DD

That looks sooo much better, bd. :-+ Missing caps OCD is a terrible thing to live with (I can live with the extra pointers). ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:11:47 pm by bitseeker »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #49815 on: February 15, 2020, 08:08:23 pm »
I was waiting for that  :-DD

Arguably it’s the 4xx I’m done with (apart from the 4x3). So no more 465/475 derivatives.

Ah. There's no such thing as a true Tek scope syndrome.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #49816 on: February 15, 2020, 08:11:36 pm »

I have been up most of the night because 'reasons' but I flicked on the Espresso machine a while ago, luckily there is no webcams so no one need look at my bloodshot eyes.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49817 on: February 15, 2020, 08:16:24 pm »
I have been up most of the night because 'reasons' but I flicked on the Espresso machine a while ago, luckily there is no webcams so no one need look at my bloodshot eyes.
Hope nutthing terribly bad Bean.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49818 on: February 15, 2020, 08:16:56 pm »
I prefer the hard copy manuals myself. I’ve had too many bad scans over the years to trust that as the only source of info. Usually you only find out it’s a bad scan right in the middle of a problem solving session.

We have mauritron here who are the equivalent and some of their scans are just the worst.

yeah

I just think better on paper...I guess I am a product of a bygone age...

me, too. every time i get a PDF of a book i am actually reading, i end up buying a hard copy. i write in them, i highlight, i use stickies and i've never figured out a good way to do that with an e-book; the tools availabe generally suck. i pretty much have given up the notion that buying artek scans is anything other than a prelude to going to kinkos and making proper manuals with big schematics. and yes, i have a big collection of databooks even though i also have data sheet scans for most of the parts in my inventory.

i also prefer writing to typing. almost all of my figuring is on paper, with a fine point pen.  a product of another age, i guess.

i do have an ebook reader and i do use it to read non-technical stuff because it is really handy to have something with two hundred books on it when one is spending hours or days in transit.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49819 on: February 15, 2020, 08:19:38 pm »

I should be there, though probably not promptly.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49820 on: February 15, 2020, 08:34:29 pm »
Hope nutthing terribly bad Bean.  :(

Just part of the battle sometimes.  |O
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49821 on: February 15, 2020, 08:53:11 pm »
Me and tautech are on.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49822 on: February 15, 2020, 09:01:02 pm »
It's TEA Time! :scared:

It's OK if you don't have a mic. Join the #teatime text chat channel.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:05:11 pm by bitseeker »

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49823 on: February 15, 2020, 09:11:06 pm »
I guess I should really look into this "dischord" thing, I assume there is an application you need to install like teamspeak or ventrillo?

maybe next week
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49824 on: February 15, 2020, 09:12:53 pm »
There is also Coffee and more important Cookies  >:D https://discordapp.com/channels/658020677533827101/658020677533827104

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf