Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14790033 times)

Vince and 95 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #49900 on: February 16, 2020, 06:27:49 pm »
(SNIP)[/b][/i][/color]   He's like a burning bag of dogshit somebody put on your front porch to get you out of the house so they can lock the doors behind you and bulldoze it to make a parking lot. :wtf:

I'm sure you have your own similar nest of undead bloodsuckers working Parliament and The House in the same way; it's not like this is even the first time this scenrio has played out in recent history. Events are unfolding here and on the world stage that mirror the events that led up to our Great Depression and the collapse of the American Economy in the 1920s; we all know how that affected the world economy in the 30s & 40s. When your biggest customer stops having money to buy, it's almost as disruptive as was our Industrial Revolution.  |O

mnem
I just wish I could've gotten my kids a little further away from ground zero...  :-\
Once again you hit the nail on the head and if anyone thinks that there is not a Russian connection, think again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Elliott_(political_strategist)
Yeah, over here it was a case of the perfect storm of bullshit; those behind our corrupt electoral system were desperate for someone other than themselves to hang the last 3 decades of tampered elections on when along comes confirmed KGB asset Donald Chump trying to buy the presidency again with help from butt-buddy Putin.

They couldn't have asked for a better scapegoat.  :palm:

mnem
"What luck; fascism you can vote for."

while historical trends are, at best, aperiodic, there is a fairly clear cycle of oligarchic takeover attempts in the united states, about five generations apart. we've survived them so far and appear to be in the end stages of the latest. in each round, populism is transformed into a cancerous sort of blood and land nativism that pits different segments of the poor against one another, there are attempts to destroy mechanisms that contain oligarchic overreach, like labor movements, along with a steady erosion of the institutions that check political power, like the courts and popular voting.  maybe it seems this way to each generation that experiences the end of a cycle to think that this one is a perfect storm but this time seems to be one: the successful republican efforts to make the individual right to vote meaningless, the increasing rate of wealth concentration in fewer hands, the rise of right wing miltia and propaganda machines like fox news and breibart, all now coupled with a set of pervasive and accepted technologies that erase the distinctions between fact and fiction and support mass surveillance and control. 

but i am just an old man who reads and thinks too much and this is a forum on test equipment not political history or revolution, so i will go back to posting about plugins and such.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 06:29:22 pm by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #49901 on: February 16, 2020, 06:40:11 pm »
Hear, hear... agreed on all counts. :-+

It's good to think, and to encourage others to think along these very lines; our survival as a species IS at stake. But we've explored that enough for now, and I think we've received considered validation thereof. Let's not get too specific in our deliberations on the current politico-economic maelstrom, lest we become divisive and divided. ;)

mnem
So how about we change the topic to something less controversial; say RPN vs algebraic...? >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #49902 on: February 16, 2020, 06:47:05 pm »
because i don't have enough weird projects, i picked up a NI GPIB USB adapter to see if i can talk to any of the dozen or so pieces of TE around that have GPIB connectors on 'em. another attack of nostalgia i guess, from the days when the back of my lab bench was a twisty jungle of GPIB cables, even though i don't remember that we used it to any great extent.

so now i am buried in a twisty little maze of interweb passages all alike, downloading software, reading about py-visa and trying to figure out the simplest test i can do to see if the cable works or not.

i imagine i will spend ten or twelve hours figuring this out, say to myself, okay now i know how to do that, more or less and then put the cable on the cable rack, where it will remain unused until i have some sort of GPIB crisis.   :-DD
specialization is for insects.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #49903 on: February 16, 2020, 06:48:54 pm »
Ahh good luck with that one.  :-DD

Best thing is stop going in shops. At least amazon are up front about this shit.
Just ditch the smartphone and a lot of issues are solved. Ditch the mobile phone entirely for a better result.

I’m not going back to bashing rocks together now :)

Erm... aren't lots of you guys radio hams?

I wasn't aware that this was known as "bashing rocks together"   :popcorn:

EDIT: Blah, missed out on a Fluke 8300A I was bidding on. Went for 111 euros + 25 euros p&p.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 06:51:02 pm by ThickPhilM »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49904 on: February 16, 2020, 06:49:28 pm »
Scheiss... I read that .pdf wrong. The collar diameter of the 1-EB1 socket/insulator is 4mm and depth is 6.5mm.   AND, as you surmised, they ARE designed for press-fit into molded or drilled plastic panels. The installation mandrels are on page 171 below.  |O

Still could make them work by adding stepped washers (3D printed maybe... >:D) on the front and wafer-nuts sourced elsewhere, but I'd definitely save that as a last option; lots of assache going down that path. :scared:

Here's the assembly instructions for the 1-EB1 socket: https://ec.staubli.com/AcroFiles/MA/TM_MA102_(de-en).pdf

Here's their Test Accessories catalog in English showing the 1-EB1 socket: https://ec.staubli.com/AcroFiles/Catalogues/TM_TM-Main-11014124_(en)_hi.pdf

And here's their Miniature Connectors Catalog in English: https://ec.staubli.com/AcroFiles/Catalogues/IS_Min-Main-11014049_(en)_hi.pdf

Lots of connector-ey goodness there in those two documents.  ;D

mnem
Epoxy will hide a multitude of sins.

Haha, I think the cold is getting to you, I think the depth of the collar is 4mm and the dia is 6.5mm, which would give a flange fix of just 1mm with a further 1mm to be filled with hot glue or epoxy, not easy to get proper alignment but not totally impossible to get a passable fit?

Yeah, that's what I thought until I looked at the mechanical drawing in the catalog I link above. Then I realized the socket is vertically aligned in that different image from the Farnell site.  :palm: That's why I added the bit about adding stepped washers, etc...

Another more important concern tho... look at the electrical ratings for these. What kinds of voltage does this unit apply to the DUT...? When I'm considering bits for a bodge, my usual preference is to select for overkill by a factor of 2:1 or so...  :o

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 07:12:41 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49905 on: February 16, 2020, 06:56:44 pm »
We have this thing on our phones nowadays... it's called Google Maps. Live traffic overlay that actually draws you a picture of the mayhem.  ;)

mnem
*agitating-ily*

A few days ago, there was this article in the Heise newsticker (German IT magazine) about a guy with a "Bollerwagen" (handcart) loaded with 99 cheap mobile phones with GPS. Google maps reported then a traffic jam which was not.  :-DD

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Virtueller-Stau-auf-Google-Maps-als-Kunstwerk-4651651.html

Edit:

English version:
http://www.simonweckert.com/googlemapshacks.html

yeah, that made it on to hackaday also
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49906 on: February 16, 2020, 07:21:37 pm »

Yeah... I may have too much time on my hands.  :palm:   Still in the planning stage right now... projects are not related. Well, only slightly related... Well, maybe there will be some overlap... Okay, I'll probably play some Portal 2 with my son before I dismantle my XBOX360 controllers for this project...  :o

mnem
Yes, you may touch it.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49907 on: February 16, 2020, 07:24:57 pm »
Are you going to fondle Cave Johnson’s lemons?  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49908 on: February 16, 2020, 07:26:56 pm »
Ahh good luck with that one.  :-DD

Best thing is stop going in shops. At least amazon are up front about this shit.
Just ditch the smartphone and a lot of issues are solved. Ditch the mobile phone entirely for a better result.

Erm... aren't lots of you guys radio hams?

I wasn't aware that this was known as "bashing rocks together"   :popcorn:

EDIT: Blah, missed out on a Fluke 8300A I was bidding on. Went for 111 euros + 25 euros p&p.

Ham radio evolved past bashing rocks to rubbing rocks together until you got a signal. Particularly galena bits of rocks  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, worsthorse

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49909 on: February 16, 2020, 07:41:02 pm »
Are you going to fondle Cave Johnson’s lemons?  :-DD

Not in front of my son.  >:D

mnem
"...If you've cut yourself anytime during the course of these tests, you may have noticed that you bleed pure gasoline. This is normal; we've been shooting you with an invisible laser that's supposed to turn blood into gasoline, so all that means is: It's working." :-+

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49910 on: February 16, 2020, 07:50:52 pm »
Another more important concern tho... look at the electrical ratings for these. What kinds of voltage does this unit apply to the DUT...? When I'm considering bits for a bodge, my usual preference is to select for overkill by a factor of 2:1 or so...  :o

That's not a real 30V rating, that's a "this is not a shrouded socket therefore thou shalt not use it above 30V" rating.  In their old catalogues they had parts with a 1kV rating that morphed to a 30V rating once they started applying IEC 61010 rules.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49911 on: February 16, 2020, 07:58:06 pm »
All I can say to that is "tzzzzzzzt">:D

mnem
*fungible*

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49912 on: February 16, 2020, 08:11:35 pm »
@Spec, something like this?

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #49913 on: February 16, 2020, 08:37:46 pm »
Not to worry, not having continuous access to cat pictures is much more liveable than it seems at first glance.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #49914 on: February 16, 2020, 08:57:38 pm »

That's not a real 30V rating, that's a "this is not a shrouded socket therefore thou shalt not use it above 30V" rating.  In their old catalogues they had parts with a 1kV rating that morphed to a 30V rating once they started applying IEC 61010 rules.

This is a real man's 1kV (and 100V) socket...

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49915 on: February 16, 2020, 09:27:58 pm »

(Attachment Link)
Yes, thats a better fit apart from the existing ones are only 6mm dia across the insulated section

(Attachment Link)
Yes, they would just about fit in with a bit of fettling between the vertical pair as you will see from attached drawing. Where did you find these ones?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49916 on: February 16, 2020, 09:32:49 pm »
Scheiss... I read that .pdf wrong. The collar diameter of the 1-EB1 socket/insulator is 4mm and depth is 6.5mm.   AND, as you surmised, they ARE designed for press-fit into molded or drilled plastic panels. The installation mandrels are on page 171 below.  |O

Still could make them work by adding stepped washers (3D printed maybe... >:D) on the front and wafer-nuts sourced elsewhere, but I'd definitely save that as a last option; lots of assache going down that path. :scared:

Here's the assembly instructions for the 1-EB1 socket: https://ec.staubli.com/AcroFiles/MA/TM_MA102_(de-en).pdf

Here's their Test Accessories catalog in English showing the 1-EB1 socket: https://ec.staubli.com/AcroFiles/Catalogues/TM_TM-Main-11014124_(en)_hi.pdf

And here's their Miniature Connectors Catalog in English: https://ec.staubli.com/AcroFiles/Catalogues/IS_Min-Main-11014049_(en)_hi.pdf

Lots of connector-ey goodness there in those two documents.  ;D

mnem
Epoxy will hide a multitude of sins.

Haha, I think the cold is getting to you, I think the depth of the collar is 4mm and the dia is 6.5mm, which would give a flange fix of just 1mm with a further 1mm to be filled with hot glue or epoxy, not easy to get proper alignment but not totally impossible to get a passable fit?

Yeah, that's what I thought until I looked at the mechanical drawing in the catalog I link above. Then I realized the socket is vertically aligned in that different image from the Farnell site.  :palm: That's why I added the bit about adding stepped washers, etc...

mnem
 :-/O
I measured it at around 10mVpp, this tester is all about frequency rather than down right volts, which is where the heathkit comes into its own on its leakage settings
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #49917 on: February 16, 2020, 09:41:10 pm »

I developed a drink I called a "DewSki"

I'm not as original as you. I'm content with asking unsuspecting bartenders to make me "Pink Gin". Last time, he said "We don't have that"  while standing in front of the gin and bitters part of the bar.  :palm:  I usually expect something like that, so was prepared, asked which gin brands he had, selected the least bad (Tanq 10, this time) and directed the rest of the process.  This was in Sweden, and to be fair, I've had my best Gin & Bitters moment here too, when the bartender, without a seconds hesitation asked "Which bitters would you prefer, our own mix or regular Angostura?" and then proceeded to grab the Plymouth Gin bottle and made me a splendid drink.  OTOH, I was at the Hakkasan in London (Tottenham Court Road) a few months back, and had to instruct a british bartender in making the drink that kept the Royal Navy, officers branch, floating  :o.

Colour me flabbergasted.

Been winning a lot small auctions for tools lately, but also some electronics related. There is a post coming up, but I need to collect a few more photos and perhaps some experience with the new kit first.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #49918 on: February 16, 2020, 09:50:04 pm »
Having a police/fire scanner can save you aggravation....

Was just going to head out to my fav convenience store for some sundries. Major accident at that intersection. Debris all over road. Apparently several injuries. Road now closed and traffic diverted. Sounds like a major cluster and I would have driven right into it.  :palm:

All those services have gone digital (TETRA) in Sweden. That net is fully encrypted, and you can only get in with a permit. Of course, encryption is not deemed good enough even for the lowest grade military classification, but it sure stops the scanners.  I'm on call for a couple TV sports events this week, and we've got a few of those radios, tied in to the studio intercom, so am lugging one around. Sound quality is shit. But coverage is good, including the tube, and no, I can't listen to the police. Talk group restriction.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #49919 on: February 16, 2020, 10:02:16 pm »
All those services have gone digital (TETRA) in Sweden. That net is fully encrypted, and you can only get in with a permit. Of course, encryption is not deemed good enough even for the lowest grade military classification, but it sure stops the scanners.  I'm on call for a couple TV sports events this week, and we've got a few of those radios, tied in to the studio intercom, so am lugging one around. Sound quality is shit. But coverage is good, including the tube, and no, I can't listen to the police. Talk group restriction.
Why do emergency services need encryption? They've got nothing to hide, do they?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #49920 on: February 16, 2020, 10:16:37 pm »
All those services have gone digital (TETRA) in Sweden. That net is fully encrypted, and you can only get in with a permit.
Why do emergency services need encryption? They've got nothing to hide, do they?

One of the reasons is that you are not allowed to handle personal data of people you take into care or custody in a way that leaks. When using trunked analog radio, as they did before TETRA, they had to hang up the radio call and restart the conversation via GSM or similar as soon as a patient or similar could be identified.

If there is a public interest in the communication, you can ask for the transcripts or at least dispatcher logs. Those are, by default, not secret. When you ask for them (which you can do anonymously), the authority must do a security evaluation of the data, purge secrets and personal data, and hand it over. We more or less wrote the book on FOIA in Sweden; it's 250 years old here.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49921 on: February 16, 2020, 10:18:28 pm »
Totally reasonable reason for encryption IMHO. We have to do it in fintech sector over the wire so why shouldn't people do it over the air?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49922 on: February 16, 2020, 10:29:30 pm »
Having a police/fire scanner can save you aggravation....

Was just going to head out to my fav convenience store for some sundries. Major accident at that intersection. Debris all over road. Apparently several injuries. Road now closed and traffic diverted. Sounds like a major cluster and I would have driven right into it.  :palm:

Some locations have gone full encryption but my County is still clear. Most police/fire dispatch services are about 155MHz FM voice narrow band duplex. State Police are FM voice narrow band simplex. Fire departments when on a call most still use FM low band (approx 33 to 46MHz) in the clear. Most local police departments when talking to their base stations are on 800MHz Trunk. Now I can pick up Trunk but I don't have the sub tones to sort out specific agencies so I pick up everyone including garbage trucks, plumbers, sparkies, etc. So I have trunk locked out.

I know one day my County will enter the 21st Century and go digital and the scanner will collect dust.  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49923 on: February 16, 2020, 11:01:57 pm »
You can still use it for listening into militia dickheads  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49924 on: February 16, 2020, 11:04:06 pm »
You can still use it for listening into militia dickheads  :-DD

When cordless phones were 46MHz and in the clear I was able to pick them up. Heard some juicy conversations.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf